ADVERTISEMENT

Gaziano’s sack on Lewerke

eastbaycat99

Mar 7, 2009
Did anyone else think, when Gaziano leveled Lewerke Saturday and the announcer said “that’s the 17th sack of Gaziano’s career” that about half of them seemed to be on Lewerke?

If there is a player who will be glad to not face a specicific other player going forward, I would think it was Lewerke relative to Gaziano. Gaz’ has planted him pretty spectacularly every time they have played.

I literally said words to that effect to my son as we were watching - something like "and half were against Michigan State." We both (rightly) will always have a special place in our heart for this play:

For all I know, he only has two sacks against the Spartans. This one just seemed like about 10 sacks in one.

Reactions: Indy Cat93
I literally said words to that effect to my son as we were watching - something like "and half were against Michigan State." We both (rightly) will always have a special place in our heart for this play:

For all I know, he only has two sacks against the Spartans. This one just seemed like about 10 sacks in one.
Never gets old......

I think he has spread his sacks around pretty well. For example It seems like he has had a sack in each game this year (only one against MSU) Last year he led the BIG with something like 9. True that the sacks have been memorable and the one posted below should count as more. What a way to announce his arrival. But many of his sacks have been hits like that one.

Oh yeah, that is one of our favorite sacks!!! another favorite was against Iowa several years back - complete annhialation - it was awesome!!

So, the question is.... is that hit a penalty in today's game? It looked like there wasn't helmet to helmet, but it was close.

So, the question is.... is that hit a penalty in today's game? It looked like there wasn't helmet to helmet, but it was close.
On the one hand, he didn't lead with the crown of the helmet, he had his head up as he was hitting him. OTOH, it was close enough that it probably would be called today. Looked a lot like the 2 hits that got Paddy ejected last season.

I have been an NU fan since 1975. That Gaziano sack of Lewerke was the single best hit I have seen in all these years.

I have been an NU fan since 1975. That Gaziano sack of Lewerke was the single best hit I have seen in all these years.
The XWas hit on Hackenberg was up there too....completely blew him up:

washingtonsack.gif

Reactions: Pasadena Bound
Gazilla could have picked up a couple more sacks if Lwerke didn't ground the ball.

Certainly one of the best defensive ends NU has ever had, and they've had some good ones. Loved the d-line rush toward the end of the game.

You forgetting the one Wootton put on the IA QB? I thought that one was pretty good too. But a lot of Gaz's sacks look similar. Reminds me of Mathews

Reactions: NUinIowafan
On the one hand, he didn't lead with the crown of the helmet, he had his head up as he was hitting him. OTOH, it was close enough that it probably would be called today. Looked a lot like the 2 hits that got Paddy ejected last season.
I'm more worried about how he has a tendency to drill the QB into the ground. That was called in a hit on Arron Rodgers a couple of weeks ago. Not sure if he rules are he same in the pros but a couple of Joe's sacks have been that wrap em up and plant them variety. Broke the Duke QB's collar bone, Right?

I'm more worried about how he has a tendency to drill the QB into the ground. That was called in a hit on Arron Rodgers a couple of weeks ago. Not sure if he rules are he same in the pros but a couple of Joe's sacks have been that wrap em up and plant them variety. Broke the Duke QB's collar bone, Right?

The rules on QB sacks in NCAA are DRAMATICALLY different than the pros, and our players are well coached on them, so no need to worry.As an aside Daniel Jones has returned to action, broken collarbone and all.

I think Lewerke was affected even even when he wasn't sacked/hurried, He rushed numerous throws even when he did had time, probably because he heard-or thought he heard-- Gaz's footsteps...

I think Lewerke was affected even even when he wasn't sacked/hurried, He rushed numerous throws even when he did had time, probably because he heard-or thought he heard-- Gaz's footsteps...
I think most QBs degrade a lot if they get hit a couple of times. I don't know if blitzing early gets you burned because everyone is still fresh but I like the idea.

Pro rule

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT