ADVERTISEMENT

General Bowl Question

For Big 10 Bowl eligibility, is 4-4 the same as 6-6 ?
It doesn't matter this year. Everyone is eligible, no normal requirements. Though one would expect that the B1G will guide the bowls to taking the teams with the best records. If / assuming the B1G gets 2 teams total into the NY6 (I think a reasonable guess), we would be slated for 6 additional bowls and 8 slots total. So the best 8 teams get in.

CFP - Jan 1 - if B1G team in top 2 they will go to Rose, if not it depends on top 2 (other is Sugar).
NY6 (I haven't looked into it, but would think Cotton or Peach as Fiesta / Orange usually have conf tie-ins)
Citrus - Fri Jan 1, 1pm ET
Outback - Sat Jan 2, 1230pm ET
Duke's Mayo (fka Belk Bowl), in Charlotte - Weds Dec 30 Noon ET
Music City - Weds Dec 30, 330pm ET
Pinstripe - Tues Dec 29, 2pm ET
Guaranteed Rate (Detroit) - Sat Dec 26, 1015pm ET

Lots of afternoon games during New Years week, which doesn't seem ideal tbh, maybe not that much work will be accomplished that week.

Additional bowl slots are possible, though I dunno if likely given some bowls have already been cancelled. ESPN has control over a lot of the other non power conference bowls so they could theoretically do whatever they want. Though I'm not sure the B1G would subscribe to sending a 3-5 B1G team (Nebraska?) somewhere random to play a 6-4 Sun Belt team.

And lastly - any and all of this is subject to change or cancellation (probably except the CFP which I think is happening come hell or high water) - who knows what bowl season will look like another 6 weeks from now.

First off all, *salutes General Bowl Question*

I thought this was yet another Bowl game, the General Insurance Bowl:

the-general-social-thumbnail.png

And lastly - any and all of this is subject to change or cancellation (probably except the CFP which I think is happening come hell or high water) - who knows what bowl season will look like another 6 weeks from now.

CFP will go on and they won't replace a team that can't go because of COVID
Link: ESPN

It doesn't matter this year. Everyone is eligible, no normal requirements. Though one would expect that the B1G will guide the bowls to taking the teams with the best records. If / assuming the B1G gets 2 teams total into the NY6 (I think a reasonable guess), we would be slated for 6 additional bowls and 8 slots total. So the best 8 teams get in.

CFP - Jan 1 - if B1G team in top 2 they will go to Rose, if not it depends on top 2 (other is Sugar).
NY6 (I haven't looked into it, but would think Cotton or Peach as Fiesta / Orange usually have conf tie-ins)
Citrus - Fri Jan 1, 1pm ET
Outback - Sat Jan 2, 1230pm ET
Duke's Mayo (fka Belk Bowl), in Charlotte - Weds Dec 30 Noon ET
Music City - Weds Dec 30, 330pm ET
Pinstripe - Tues Dec 29, 2pm ET
Guaranteed Rate (Detroit) - Sat Dec 26, 1015pm ET

Lots of afternoon games during New Years week, which doesn't seem ideal tbh, maybe not that much work will be accomplished that week.

Additional bowl slots are possible, though I dunno if likely given some bowls have already been cancelled. ESPN has control over a lot of the other non power conference bowls so they could theoretically do whatever they want. Though I'm not sure the B1G would subscribe to sending a 3-5 B1G team (Nebraska?) somewhere random to play a 6-4 Sun Belt team.

Bowls won't have the same beneficial effecs on local economy but ESPN (and others) still need the programming and is probably still the major source of funding for the bowl committees

Reactions: ricko654321
First off all, *salutes General Bowl Question*

Secondly, there's no minimum wins for bowl eligibility this year.

Since there are no requirements for a winning record, It would be interesting to see if bowls preferentially choose blue blood teams with losing records (e.g. Michigan) over better ranked non blue blood teams (e.g. Purdue) to obtain more publicity and better tv ratings.

Since there are no requirements for a winning record, It would be interesting to see if bowls preferentially choose blue blood teams with losing records (e.g. Michigan) over better ranked non blue blood teams (e.g. Purdue) to obtain more publicity and better tv ratings.
I think that may happen in some cases, with ESPN pushing for preferred matchups for TV purposes. However, I don't think the B1G will let that happen for their bowls, at least not in any significant way. IE if we were 7-2 and Michigan were 7-2 (clearly that's impossible now, but thought experiment), the B1G would be almost certainly fine with the [Citrus Bowl] taking Michigan over us - even if say we had beaten Mich heads up. Prob the same if 7-2 vs 6-2. But if 7-2 vs 6-3, I think the bowl would need a pretty compelling argument - barring a dominant H2H win by Michigan, some huge difference in SOS, or perhaps a potential repeat showing in same bowl by some team, I think they would likely push the team with better record to the better bowl.

But, that's speculation based on what the B1G has done in the past. We will see how it plays out in actuality.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT