ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread: Northwestern vs. Minnesota

This team can’t get a road victory to save their life, they had a multitude of chances to put the gophers away, but they just left them on the hook I get that they just played a game in overtime but that’s not an excuse when you grow a lead you keep your foot on the gas they totally gave this game to an inferior opponent.

I don't even think the refs made more calls against NU, but they were just...horrible and lazy. They anticipate fouls. They swallow the whistle one minute and call ticky-tack fouls other times. There is just no consistency.

And now that they know they can look at the replay later, they just guess some calls and hope they're right. It was horrible watching them.

NU deserved to lose, no doubt. They played horribly. But the refs were a real problem today independent of that.

This team can’t get a road victory to save their life, they had a multitude of chances to put the gophers away, but they just left them on the hook I get that they just played a game in overtime but that’s not an excuse when you grow a lead you keep your foot on the gas they totally gave this game to an inferior opponent.
They'll get some more road wins. Their road schedule has been very tough so far; there are some more vulnerable teams coming up. The Big Ten teams are defending their homes very well this season.

I don't even think the refs made more calls against NU, but they were just...horrible and lazy. They anticipate fouls. They swallow the whistle one minute and call ticky-tack fouls other times. There is just no consistency.

And now that they know they can look at the replay later, they just guess some calls and hope they're right. It was horrible watching them.

NU deserved to lose, no doubt. They played horribly. But the refs were a real problem today independent of that.
Yes. The refs were just terrible. Calling that shot a 3 was the most incompetent thing I've ever seen.

• Angry
Reactions: drewjin
The minn center put his work in today, big block on MN at the rim. The play NU rant the end for Boo, he read it and blocked that as well

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
Yes. The refs were just terrible. Calling that shot a 3 was the most incompetent thing I've ever seen.
It was just lazy. Like...oh well, I can look at it later. I'd be embarrassed if I were that ref. I guess it's true neither foot was on the line, so at least there's that.

• Haha
Reactions: drewjin
This is a good team, that played very poorly today.
Agree. This was the worst game they’ve played in awhile and still had every chance to win. Get the next 2 at home and then another road opportunity at Rutgers. Like I said, need 4 out of the next 5. NU is better than the next 5 opponents.

Reactions: Baz=Heisman
This is a tough loss to take. We really can’t afford to lose games against the bottom tier, especially since we don’t have any high quality games left to get metric moving wins. We just are one guy short on this team such as a guy with size and a little skill.
No dance this year unless we reverse our inability to win close games

I'm glad you said something Smelly. For all the belly-aching after the Purdue, I thought the Cats were far more screwed in this one. Everything with five minutes or less left in regulation.

* The Martinelli "walk."
* Nich's hip tap foul on Payne as he's falling out of bounds.
* The non-call push off by Garcia on Boo.
* The foul on Nich when he double-teams Garcia with hands straight up and not moving his feet.

That's more than the game.

Cats deserved to lose. NIT.
What an absolutely shit attitude for a team that has 4 Q1 wins. Listen, I’m concerned and have said we better win Wednesday or we’re in trouble (check that thread) but we are still in good shape at the moment.

This is a tough loss to take. We really can’t afford to lose games against the bottom tier, especially since we don’t have any high quality games left to get metric moving wins. We just are one guy short on this team such as a guy with size and a little skill.
At Minnesota was a Q2 game. Not a “bottom tier” loss. Yes, we should have won and are the better team and it sucks…. But let’s look at the full picture.

What an absolutely shit attitude for a team that has 4 Q1 wins. Listen, I’m concerned and have said we better win Wednesday or we’re in trouble (check that thread) but we are still in good shape at the moment.
Good shape??

I'm glad you said something Smelly. For all the belly-aching after the Purdue, I thought the Cats were far more screwed in this one. Everything with five minutes or less left in regulation.

* The Martinelli "walk."
* Nich's hip tap foul on Payne as he's falling out of bounds.
* The non-call push off by Garcia on Boo.
* The foul on Nich when he double-teams Garcia with hands straight up and not moving his feet.

That's more than the game.
This is a nice list. Specifics are effective. I know every play you mentioned. All questionable at best.
Nicholson attracts those sorts of calls this year and last year he didn't.

If I'm reading your last sentence correctly, you're expressing the thought that the refs might be a problem for us after Collins went off so "inappropriately" on "one of their own." (Don't get me wrong, I thought Collins was justifiably irate - but there can be repercussions)

As the weird calls piled up - giving a guy 3 points for a 20 footer was just glaring (and very suspicious) and the flagrant foul on Martinelli was a "WTF is he calling?" I started thinking "These guys aren't going to let Collins win this game..." Then they looked at that late Garcia turnover for an eternity, before grudgingly giving NU the ball... but then they somehow missed Garcia throwing the ball of Nicholson's shin - that was almost impossible to miss.

I think the refs were simply incompetent, but seemed to also be biased against Collins.
Its a bad combination for a Wildcat fan.

This is a nice list. Specifics are effective. I know every play you mentioned. All questionable at best.
Nicholson attracts those sorts of calls this year and last year he didn't.

If I'm reading your last sentence correctly, you're expressing the thought that the refs might be a problem for us after Collins went off so "inappropriately" on "one of their own." (Don't get me wrong, I thought Collins was justifiably irate - but there can be repercussions)

As the weird calls piled up - giving a guy 3 points for a 20 footer was just glaring (and very suspicious) and the flagrant foul on Martinelli was a "WTF is he calling?" I started thinking "These guys aren't going to let Collins win this game..." Then they looked at that late Garcia turnover for an eternity, before grudgingly giving NU the ball... but then they somehow missed Garcia throwing the ball of Nicholson's shin - that was almost impossible to miss.

I think the refs were simply incompetent, but seemed to also be biased against Collins.
Its a bad combination for a Wildcat fan.
I think we had the same ref that ccc went off on

... you're expressing the thought that the refs might be a problem for us after Collins went off so "inappropriately" on "one of their own." (Don't get me wrong, I thought Collins was justifiably irate - but there can be repercussions)
It's not a statement on the Collins-ref dynamic. It's simply meant to emphasize that if any one of these five questionable calls is made correctly (much less all five of them), it's a different game and probably a different outcome.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT