ADVERTISEMENT

Genyk gets … promoted? Really?

Heffner retires, Genyk takes over TEs as well as special teams, and NU will add a cornerbacks coach. Deck chairs on the Titanic…
Wow. We need a real special teams coach. Not someone who has proven they’re not very good at it adding an entirely separate position to take care of as well.

Can anyone name a single ST unit that has looked, well, special since Genyk took over three years ago?

Wow. We need a real special teams coach. Not someone who has proven they’re not very good at it adding an entirely separate position to take care of as well.

Can anyone name a single ST unit that has looked, well, special since Genyk took over three years ago?

Punt coverage and kickoff coverage are always solid.

Punt coverage and kickoff coverage are always solid.
Fair enough. But those are the easiest to handle and Genyk sucked at his job in every other key facet. Fitz should have swapped his and Ayeni’s roles as Genyk did some of his best work at NU as a RB coach. A short list of what I noticed:
  • Our field goal kicking had been mediocre and has now regressed to terrible and unreliable. Kuhbander was a liability this season and his missed field goals swung some key games.
  • Our punting game relied on a transfer the last two seasons who also regressed. The blocked punt that swung the Michigan game wasn’t his fault but who was the coach that set up and coached the blocking scheme?
  • Our kickoff return game was a JOKE. We fair caught many returnable KOs and one fair catch hurt us big time against Iowa. I’m fairly certain we set a KO fair catch record this season.
  • And we blew our biggest special teams surprise - BJo on punt returns- against INDIANA STATE! We sure could have used a secret weapon like that against a B1G rival. But hey let’s reveal it against the only FCS team we play and never go back to it when it matters

Fair enough. But those are the easiest to handle and Genyk sucked at his job in every other key facet. Fitz should have swapped his and Ayeni’s roles as Genyk did some of his best work at NU as a RB coach. A short list of what I noticed:
  • Our field goal kicking had been mediocre and has now regressed to terrible and unreliable. Kuhbander was a liability this season and his missed field goals swung some key games.
  • Our punting game relied on a transfer the last two seasons who also regressed. The blocked punt that swung the Michigan game wasn’t his fault but who was the coach that set up and coached the blocking scheme?
  • Our kickoff return game was a JOKE. We fair caught many returnable KOs and one fair catch hurt us big time against Iowa. I’m fairly certain we set a KO fair catch record this season.
  • And we blew our biggest special teams surprise - BJo on punt returns- against INDIANA STATE! We sure could have used a secret weapon like that against a B1G rival. But hey let’s reveal it against the only FCS team we play and never go back to it when it matters

You asked and I gave you two. For a guy that played the game I’d think you’d have a little more of a clue how decisions are made on a football team. Two guys miss a block on punt safe and you blame the coach? GTFOH. Dumb.

You asked and I gave you two. For a guy that played the game I’d think you’d have a little more of a clue how decisions are made on a football team. Two guys miss a block on punt safe and you blame the coach? GTFOH. Dumb.
I’m not saying Genyk is a bad coach - but he is clearly not a good or even mediocre special teams coach. You only refuted one of my points with the blocked punt comment: why not the regression in kicking, punting, and the lack of any retun game?

Genyk was a great RB coach. DA2, Wright, and Herron all benefited from his tutelage. Ayeni is a young and hungry coach who maybe has an idea or two about special teams and played on them in the past two decades. Why not make a swap like that? How will Genyk improve our TE play while also overseeing our declining special teams?

The special teams were previously divided up amongst position coaches. So if they looked better then, what is the point of a separate coordinator?

The special teams were previously divided up amongst position coaches. So if they looked better then, what is the point of a separate coordinator?
If we can hire a dedicated ST coach who will focus on and improve them, then all the better. I think the logic of using the “extra assistant” slot to focus on ST made sense. But the results don’t bear out a larger role for Genyk.

Do we really need a dedicated CB coach? When Hankwitz was the DC he did that and also coached the safeties I believe. I don’t see how adding another defensive assistant will address JON’s inability to prepare a decent defensive scheme.

If we can hire a dedicated ST coach who will focus on and improve them, then all the better. I think the logic of using the “extra assistant” slot to focus on ST made sense. But the results don’t bear out a larger role for Genyk.

Do we really need a dedicated CB coach? When Hankwitz was the DC he did that and also coached the safeties I believe. I don’t see how adding another defensive assistant will address JON’s inability to prepare a decent defensive scheme.

Hankwitz never had day to day responsibilities with the safeties. Brown coached the entire secondary.

Reactions: Rebel_
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT