ADVERTISEMENT

Getting way ahead of myself, but.......

Again, not to rain on the parade here but he was not a consistent deep play threat that drew any extra attention. Catching 2 or 3 deep balls in 2 years does not qualify for extra attention. Heck Macan Wilson was as much of a threat over the top as Solo. If you are worried about replacing someone in that regard it should be Carr, who was bracketed from midseason onward every game and still managed to get loose over the top. He was our big play (and medium and short play) threat, period.

Hoping that Brown and or Fessler can maybe stretch the field some this year.

Hope you're right. At the moment, I don't really see a 2nd field stretcher in the mold of Vault/Brown. Lees or Fessler would be the most likely candidates, but both have a lot to prove. It wouldn't be the end of the world either. The offense has been functional in the past without an abundance of vertical threats.

I disagree about Wilson. I like him, but he'a closer to what Scanlan brought to the table. Solid blocker, good hands, capable route runner.

All that being said, I'm glad to having this conversation with you. I remember last year when all of us were wondering if the Cats' had a WR capable of breaking 40 recs and 500 yards.

Hope you're right. At the moment, I don't really see a 2nd field stretcher in the mold of Vault/Brown. Lees or Fessler would be the most likely candidates, but both have a lot to prove. I disagree about Wilson. I like him, but he'a closer to what Scanlan brought to the table. Solid blocker, good hands, capable route runner.

That being said, I'm glad to having this conversation with you. I remember last year when all of us were wondering if the Cats' had a WR capable of breaking 40 recs and 500 yards.
Well I'm not saying I don't think it's an issue, just that Solo by himself wouldn't have solved it. Even with him I still think we would have had a Austin Carr sized hole in our WR corps. Lots of names out there, we need a couple to step up, starting with Nagel and Brown.

Well I'm not saying I don't think it's an issue, just that Solo by himself wouldn't have solved it. Even with him I still think we would have had a Austin Carr sized hole in our WR corps. Lots of names out there, we need a couple to step up, starting with Nagel and Brown.

Maybe I wasn't being clear.

My excitement (prior to Vault's injury) was with the prospect of having personel groupings containing both Vault and Brown. The potential space created by that pairing may have alleviated some of the issues posed by Carr's graduation. Austin was an incredible route runner (that preseason TD catch was a clinic) that was able to create seperation where there wasn't much room.

Nagel and Wilson bring some of what Carr had, but having multiple home run hitters on the field at the same time would have made it much easier for them to operate. It would help Dickerson, Jackson, and Thorson as well.

Hopefully, Lees, Fessler, or one of the frosh (true or redshirt) can step up.

Last edited:
Maybe I wasn't being clear.

My excitement (prior to Vault's injury) was with the prospect of having personel groupings containing both Vault and Brown. The potential space created by that pairing may have alleviated some of the issues posed by Carr's graduation. Austin was an incredible route runner (that preseason TD catch was a clinic) that was able to create seperation where there wasn't much room.

Nagel and Wilson bring some of what Carr had, but having multiple home run hitters on the field at the same time would have made it much easier for them to operate. It would help Dickerson, Jackson, and Thorson as well.

Hopefully, Lees, Fessler, or one of the frosh (true or redshirt) can step up.

If Brown and Nagel play up to the level we all think they can, i.e. an above-average WR1 and WR2 in the Big Ten, that's a really good foundation for the receivers, and allows the coaches to mix and match with the final WR or two depending on how they want to scheme.

Macan Wilson and Riley Lees (and maybe RCB?) for speed. Fessler or Skowronek if you want to win with height. Jelani Roberts as a decoy or for some trickery.

Haven't heard much about Reece or Yates but they've been around a couple of years now.

Vault will be sorely missed in the kicking game, for sure, but he has never been truly consistent enough in the actual offense for me to be worried about the drop off in the passing game from losing him.

Hope you're right. At the moment, I don't really see a 2nd field stretcher in the mold of Vault/Brown. Lees or Fessler would be the most likely candidates, but both have a lot to prove. It wouldn't be the end of the world either. The offense has been functional in the past without an abundance of vertical threats.

I disagree about Wilson. I like him, but he'a closer to what Scanlan brought to the table. Solid blocker, good hands, capable route runner.

All that being said, I'm glad to having this conversation with you. I remember last year when all of us were wondering if the Cats' had a WR capable of breaking 40 recs and 500 yards.

Last year this time I thought Carr would be our leading receiver because though his previous campaign wasn't eye opening he seemed to get open for 20 yard passes at a surprising clip. I have similar good vibes from Nagel. Brown could also have a breakout year. But the sleeper to me us Lees. If he doesn't break out this year he will next year.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
Vault will be sorely missed in the kicking game, for sure, but he has never been truly consistent enough in the actual offense for me to be worried about the drop off in the passing game from losing him.

Vault was good enough to have a role on offense from his freshman season on and Carr's numbers last season dwarfed the entire receiving core outside of Nagel and Dickerson.

One must also consider that Solomon switched to WR at the end of his sophomore year (a jump in production from 2016 to 2017 wouldn't have been an outrageous assumption, especially without Carr on field). The Cats' certainly have options at WR and I'd imagine McCall has got to be happy with the variety of skill sets he has had his disposal. Vault's injury is one the offense can sustain, but I really do think it may temper some of the explosiveness in the passing game. Solo is a play maker and anytime you lose one for the season you feel the effects.

While I'm pumped to see Brown in purple (I felt he was under utilized at Oregon), I think we can all agree there are a lot of unknowns other than Nagel and Dickerson in the receiving core.

Your point on scheme is spot on and with McCall's offense requiring all the receivers to know every concept on each play, mixing and matching is what we have and will continue to see.

Last edited:
But the sleeper to me us Lees. If he doesn't break out this year he will next year.

Having been born and raised in Lake County, I'd love to see that. It'd be great to see him make an Eric Peterman like transition.

Last edited:
Having been born and raised in Lake County, I'd love to see that. It'd be great to see him make an Eric Peterman like transition.

I agree, Lees fits the template of fast, athletic HS QB's who converted to receivers like Peterman and Ebert, and of course let's not forget D'Wayne Bates.

I agree, Lees fits the template of fast, athletic HS QB's who converted to receivers like Peterman and Ebert, and of course let's not forget D'Wayne Bates.
just for fun, if he had the best quality from each of those mentioned, what would they be and how good would he be?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT