ADVERTISEMENT

Gonzaga to Final Four: We Are So Close to Being There

Grafcat

May 27, 2006
They crushed Xavier. Got lucky in round of 16. And got really lucky when we were poised for a historic comeback.

Folks -- if this is a final four team, first of all, that so could have been the 'cats.

And wow... we could be stronger next year. The sky is the limit. I guess we continue to root for Gonzaga as the team that outed us... but we gave 'em a run for the money and if that's what it means to be a final four team, then "N'western" as CBS annoyingly designates us has as good a chance as anyone to make it next year....

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
We can be a Final Four team next season. It's going to be a fun season.

Reactions: NUCat320
Now that the Big Ten teams have all been eliminated let's all hope the Zags are national champs. The loss(which could have easily been a win with better officiating) to Gonzaga would be less painful if the Zags win the tournament .

Already looking forward to next year although wish the new Welsh-Ryan could be done before then !

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Already looking forward to next year although wish the new Welsh-Ryan could be done before then !

I've been thinking about that, and initially I would have agreed with you. But, this coming season may actually be the perfect time to be in the much larger Allstate. With the excitement generated this season, I have to believe the students and athletic department will figure out how to fill the student section. If CCC can put a product on the floor resembling that which we here hope for, NU will be the best basketball product (and value) in the city. The Bulls are going to continue to be mediocre at best. DePaul and Loyola aren't really making any noise right now. Take the opportunity to aggessively market to the Chicago basketball fan and try to capitalize on the Chicago's Big Ten Team concept. Let's see if the city continues to get behind the Cats. If they're playing really good ball and, ideally, contending for a B1G championship, I think there's a good shot to sell quite a few tickets this season. If Dr Jim and CCC can schedule one or two interesting preseason top 25 matchups at home, it could really get the ball rolling.

In such a critical recruiting year, coming off all of the exposure of the last month and with all of the new facilities coming online in 2018, there will certainly be an opportunity to invite plenty of area HS teams to come and watch the new Cats in person.

I don't know... this could really be a blessing in disguise; help kickstart this new era of NU Basketball we all are hoping for.

Reactions: CatManTrue
I've been thinking about that, and initially I would have agreed with you. But, this coming season may actually be the perfect time to be in the much larger Allstate. With the excitement generated this season, I have to believe the students and athletic department will figure out how to fill the student section. If CCC can put a product on the floor resembling that which we here hope for, NU will be the best basketball product (and value) in the city. The Bulls are going to continue to be mediocre at best. DePaul and Loyola aren't really making any noise right now. Take the opportunity to aggessively market to the Chicago basketball fan and try to capitalize on the Chicago's Big Ten Team concept. Let's see if the city continues to get behind the Cats. If they're playing really good ball and, ideally, contending for a B1G championship, I think there's a good shot to sell quite a few tickets this season. If Dr Jim and CCC can schedule one or two interesting preseason top 25 matchups at home, it could really get the ball rolling.

In such a critical recruiting year, coming off all of the exposure of the last month and with all of the new facilities coming online in 2018, there will certainly be an opportunity to invite plenty of area HS teams to come and watch the new Cats in person.

I don't know... this could really be a blessing in disguise; help kickstart this new era of NU Basketball we all are hoping for.
+1

I'm concerned that we will be able to hear the echo of the basketball bouncing at that big ole warehouse

I agree. Next season at Allstate is lining as a perfect opportunity to increase the fan base. The Marketing Department has to be thoughtful and aggressive in how they market tickets for next season.

Reactions: CatManTrue
They crushed Xavier. Got lucky in round of 16. And got really lucky when we were poised for a historic comeback.

Folks -- if this is a final four team, first of all, that so could have been the 'cats.

And wow... we could be stronger next year. The sky is the limit. I guess we continue to root for Gonzaga as the team that outed us... but we gave 'em a run for the money and if that's what it means to be a final four team, then "N'western" as CBS annoyingly designates us has as good a chance as anyone to make it next year....
We need a point guard

We'll need a lot more consistency to reach that level and win a bunch in a row against very good teams. Not saying we can't get there, but the gap between being able to hang with them and winning four in a row against them is significant.

You got it all right. Our team is way too susceptible to long scoring lulls. We play too many games that are a series of 14-2-type runs in either direction instead of consistent play.

You can't compare scores. There are always close games for the eventual winner early in the tournament.

Heck, Illinois beat you twice and had its coach fired. Does that mean Illinois could have beaten Gonzaga? Of course not. Gonzaga had NU down big at the half, had a natural letdown, and NU got hot.

You can't compare scores. There are always close games for the eventual winner early in the tournament.

Heck, Illinois beat you twice and had its coach fired. Does that mean Illinois could have beaten Gonzaga? Of course not. Gonzaga had NU down big at the half, had a natural letdown, and NU got hot.
What happens to this Texas guy when NU beats his "dream job " Illinois two or maybe three times next season. next "dream job"???

I'm concerned that we will be able to hear the echo of the basketball bouncing at that big ole warehouse
When NU goes into the Big Ten season, the NU faithful and others will pack the 15,000 seat arena. However I wonder where those additional 9,000 fans will sit in the semi-new W-R.

You interpret it backward. We weren't a Final Four Team (or close to it), and neither is Gonzaga. A team that needs MASSIVE AND OBVIOUS officiating help to beat #32 is NOWHERE NEAR F4-level.

They got a huge break (another one) when #41 Xavier caught #6 AZ off guard and knocked them off.

NU's #32 ranking is about right (the computers have it a bit lower). Gonzaga is not much better.

I agree. Next season at Allstate is lining as a perfect opportunity to increase the fan base. .
AA is terrible for such purpose. The UIC pavillion (near the loop, and easily accessible by L even from Evanston) would be FAR FAR BETTER. Check the other thread about this.

One more thing before I leave this site. LOL at this thread.
When Illinois sends its trolls, they're not sending their best...They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing bad memes. They're bringing skewed statistics. They're bringing up a long-forgotten past. And some, I assume, are good people.

Last edited:

Love this post.
For what it's worth, tradition doesn't mean anything.

South Carolina had as many NCAA tourney wins as NU between 1971 and 2016. Look where they're headed.

You interpret it backward. We weren't a Final Four Team (or close to it), and neither is Gonzaga. A team that needs MASSIVE AND OBVIOUS officiating help to beat #32 is NOWHERE NEAR F4-level.

They got a huge break (another one) when #41 Xavier caught #6 AZ off guard and knocked them off.

NU's #32 ranking is about right (the computers have it a bit lower). Gonzaga is not much better.

Feli is amazing. The more he spews his drivel, the more he continues to slip in it and come face down in a thud. Planet Earth ( where you claim to be from) to Feli, Zags ARE a final four team. It is real, read the papers tomorrow, go on that thing called the internet, call Dick Vitale, its True and it is NOT because I said so!

He claims to provide evidence why the Zags are not much better than a top 32 team. Evidence, lol. I couldn't imagine have insufferable you would have been if the Zags lost their next game after NU. Have you ever once admitted you might be wrong? So looking forward to you coming back with your typical "I told you so" when and if they lose. In fact, if they win the whole thing, I am sure you will cite close wins or the BETTER team getting knocked out early as your evidence they aren't any good. At least you are consistently uninformed.

Feli is amazing. The more he spews his drivel, the more he continues to slip in it and come face down in a thud. Planet Earth ( where you claim to be from) to Feli, Zags ARE a final four team. It is real, read the papers tomorrow, go on that thing called the internet, call Dick Vitale, its True and it is NOT because I said so!

He claims to provide evidence why the Zags are not much better than a top 32 team. Evidence, lol. I couldn't imagine have insufferable you would have been if the Zags lost their next game after NU. Have you ever once admitted you might be wrong? So looking forward to you coming back with your typical "I told you so" when and if they lose. In fact, if they win the whole thing, I am sure you will cite close wins or the BETTER team getting knocked out early as your evidence they aren't any good. At least you are consistently uninformed.
Ignore is your FRIEND.

Love the optimism. But making it to the Final Four is more than “just” being good enough to play competitively against the best. It is ALSO about getting hot as a team at precisely the right time, having one or more key players turn in career-best games under the very bright lights. And finally, catching a break in a critical situation or two or three, ones that allow you to go on a run or impede an opponent's ability to score late and often.

Oh, and lest I forget (which we should NOT as NU fans) it requires being essentially uninjured in the final weeks of the season and into the Tournament.

Love the optimism. But making it to the Final Four is more than “just” being good enough to play competitively against the best. It is ALSO about getting hot as a team at precisely the right time, having one or more key players turn in career-best games under the very bright lights.
Not to mention, getting a lot of 'help' from a sympathetic officiating crew, when it seems that in spite of getting everything else, you are still going down.

Earth to Felix -- Gonzaga ** is ** a Final Four team.

NU played a horrible first half. In the second half, they shot the ball a lot better and got after it on defense. There was a little more involved than Gonzaga having a "letdown." But what do I know. I actually thought your team would beat Central Florida in the NIT.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT