ADVERTISEMENT

graduating and leaving vs. graduating and staying vs. leaving and not graduating

Not a glowing endorsement of Buie.....
Bah.... who cares what Teddy G says here. The "some people say" line is not worth a thing. Buie may not be All BIG10 his freshman year, but he's going to get every chance to make a very meaningful contribution to the 2019-2020 Cats' season.

Bah.... who cares what Teddy G says here. The "some people say" line is not worth a thing. Buie may not be All BIG10 his freshman year, but he's going to get every chance to make a very meaningful contribution to the 2019-2020 Cats' season.

True. Mac and Pardon out shined their stars. Not much room for error around here. 9 guys on schollie at the moment. One not signed yet. Typical rotation is 8 guys. If any of the 9 guys are not legit B1G players, its going to be tough to fill those 200 minutes.

"Transfers are not the answer!" ... "Here are some rumors about transfers NU is pursuing."

Teddy G is right that he is not a heralded recruit. Collins needs to be right about him.

Reactions: IGNORE
I'm going to let you guys in on a secret....the top talent doesn't get assigned to sports. Sam Smith ended up covering the Bulls because he failed at everything else.

Now, you'll find some gems in sports reporting....but those are rarities. Today there are none of those at the Trib.

I'm going to let you guys in on a secret....the top talent doesn't get assigned to sports. Sam Smith ended up covering the Bulls because he failed at everything else.

Now, you'll find some gems in sports reporting....but those are rarities. Today there are none of those at the Trib.
Yeah, what top talent wouldn’t want to be assigned to the Washington scene.

Reactions: ricko654321
Really? Why not?
I can assure you that NU football has not come close to any JUCO recruits since Randy Walker became the head coach, and certainly not under Fitz. You might be confusing them with graduate transfers.

But for the simplest logic: NU is now a top 10 academic university, and JUCO players are typically students that require a year or two at a junior college to even qualify for a general studies degree at an average / below average college.

And there’s nothing wrong with that: one of my favorite HS teammates was a JUCO who ended up being an All-Big East linebacker and had a bigger cup of coffee in the NFL than Fitz had. He was by no means “dumb” but just wasn’t a great student. He played for a number of years in the Arena League and has a nice family now.

Collins’s job rebuilding this team isn’t nearly so easy. Unless he can miraculously land Baldwin Jr. and some other one-and-done players to turn this program around.

Last edited:
^ True, it's been a while since the FB program got a transfer from South Bend.

Anyhow, some interesting comments from Teddy...

Collins needs to develop his players, starting with Nance and Kopp. They are four-star talents who did not play like it this season. (In his defense, Nance lost a month and 20 pounds because of mono.) Coincidence or not, player development has slowed since the departure of two assistant coaches — Pat Baldwin, who took over at Milwaukee, and Armon Gates, who left for Nebraska.

As for this...

Four players bolted in 1990 and it was a big deal, even though it was Northwestern basketball. Rex Walters, David Holmes, Kevin Nixon and Evan Pedersen took off, and Dick Vitale asked: How could they do this to respected coach Bill Foster?

That's b/c they couldn't stand playing for Foster.

Last edited:
I can assure you that NU football has not come close to any JUCO recruits since Randy Walker became the head coach, and certainly not under Fitz. You might be confusing them with graduate transfers.

But for the simplest logic: NU is now a top 10 academic university, and JUCO players are typically students that require a year or two at a junior college to even qualify for a general studies degree at an average / below average college.

And there’s nothing wrong with that: one of my favorite HS teammates was a JUCO who ended up being an All-Big East linebacker and had a bigger cup of coffee in the NFL than Fitz had. He was by no means “dumb” but just wasn’t a great student. He played for a number of years in the Arena League and has a nice family now.

Collins’s job rebuilding this team isn’t nearly so easy. Unless he can miraculously land Baldwin Jr. and some other one-and-done players to turn this program around.

also i think the logic is getting to cheat a NU degree out of half of time (because half the classes are JUCO).

^ True, it's been a while since the FB program got a transfer from South Bend.

Anyhow, some interesting comments from Teddy...

Collins needs to develop his players, starting with Nance and Kopp. They are four-star talents who did not play like it this season. (In his defense, Nance lost a month and 20 pounds because of mono.) Coincidence or not, player development has slowed since the departure of two assistant coaches — Pat Baldwin, who took over at Milwaukee, and Armon Gates, who left for Nebraska.

As for this...

Four players bolted in 1990 and it was a big deal, even though it was Northwestern basketball. Rex Walters, David Holmes, Kevin Nixon and Evan Pedersen took off, and Dick Vitale asked: How could they do this to respected coach Bill Foster?

That's b/c they couldn't stand playing for Foster.

Teddy G makes the point that this year's departures reflect the current dynamic of college basketball, they are not equivalent to the Foster exodus.

Brian James is the big man coach, having previously distinguished himself in the NBA. Pardon improved appreciably each year, Benson did not. Given James' history it may be more reasonable to point at Benson versus James. That is not to say Benson did not work incredibly hard to get better, which I understand he did. The Big Ten is the top tier of college basketball and some just won't get where they need to be.

Gaines was markedly improved. Greer and Kopp got noticeably better as the season went on. Other than injured players and Benson, there was good progress. Teddy G mailed this one in from 345 N. Michigan without any leg work or phone work.

Reactions: mikewebb68
Teddy G makes the point that this year's departures reflect the current dynamic of college basketball, they are not equivalent to the Foster exodus.

Brian James is the big man coach, having previously distinguished himself in the NBA. Pardon improved appreciably each year, Benson did not. Given James' history it may be more reasonable to point at Benson versus James. That is not to say Benson did not work incredibly hard to get better, which I understand he did. The Big Ten is the top tier of college basketball and some just won't get where they need to be.

Gaines was markedly improved. Greer and Kopp got noticeably better as the season went on. Other than injured players and Benson, there was good progress. Teddy G mailed this one in from 345 N. Michigan without any leg work or phone work.

Hey @louv, have you placed any calls to the Athletic Department to ask for time w CCC or a staffer? If so, what did they tell you?

I'm guessing they are not talking to anybody - Teddy, Lou, etc. So what would you like to see Teddy G do?

Hey @louv, have you placed any calls to the Athletic Department to ask for time w CCC or a staffer? If so, what did they tell you?

I'm guessing they are not talking to anybody - Teddy, Lou, etc. So what would you like to see Teddy G do?
Maybe ask if there will be any assistant coaching changes.

Not confused at all. Just wondering why NU no longer looks into recruiting JUCO kids.

Not confused at all. Just wondering why NU no longer looks into recruiting JUCO kids.
...because we’re a top 10 university that emphasizes developing student-athletes for four to five years, and not just the final two years to boost our athletic programs. Even Rutgers fans are hesitant about relying on JUCOs as that could hurt their academic profile.

I also believe that JUCO credits would largely not transfer to NU, but I could be wrong. If there are stellar JUCO students that could be accepted then perhaps opinions may change, but typically those programs are geared towards young men who need a lot of academic work / help.

A bigger question to me is how the hell did admissions and the coaching staff not realize that Lathon’s application was at risk if they’re halfway decent at their jobs. I’m sure this has been covered ad nauseum but I’ve been out of the loop on most posts. He would have made a real difference this season if he can create his own shot.

Look up the offer lists on Ash, Benson, and Falzon.

I'm the one who has posted Buie's game films so I am optimistic about his arrival and his scoring improved all season and ended up averaging over 20 at game. All I am saying is that Collins shifted to him as he blew up during the summer last year and was the first and only Power 5 offer and he committed.

...because we’re a top 10 university that emphasizes developing student-athletes for four to five years, and not just the final two years to boost our athletic programs. Even Rutgers fans are hesitant about relying on JUCOs as that could hurt their academic profile.

I also believe that JUCO credits would largely not transfer to NU, but I could be wrong. If there are stellar JUCO students that could be accepted then perhaps opinions may change, but typically those programs are geared towards young men who need a lot of academic work / help.

A bigger question to me is how the hell did admissions and the coaching staff not realize that Lathon’s application was at risk if they’re halfway decent at their jobs. I’m sure this has been covered ad nauseum but I’ve been out of the loop on most posts. He would have made a real difference this season if he can create his own shot.
I will agree with one of your thoughts... it's "I could be wrong", JUCO credits do transfer into NU and not ALL JUCO athletes need a lot of academic work. NU has recruited and excepted JC athletes in the past and really can't understand why they wouldn't again.

I will agree with one of your thoughts... it's "I could be wrong", JUCO credits do transfer into NU and not ALL JUCO athletes need a lot of academic work. NU has recruited and excepted JC athletes in the past and really can't understand why they wouldn't again.

im pretty sure it has not happened in any NU sport in at least 20 years. maybe a call to the admissions office could clear things up?

i am assuming it would have to be a situation where academically the athlete was in great standing and went juco because of athletic opportunities only. there is a hard enough time getting athletes admitted who are average students out of high school, let alone kids with grades that HAVE to go juco because of grades.

NU has been denied several transfers (both undergrad and grad) from already established colleges, that i think the overall academic record would have to be outstanding, which is not likely

which begs the question - if they would allow a JUCO - why not have more leniency on high school admissions?

https://www.registrar.northwestern....and-test-credit/transfer-credit-policies.html

Last edited:
Ok. How about you name some actual JUCO athletes who were accepted to Northwestern, the year they were accepted, and then those who actually graduated? I’m always open to new information, but I bet I’m not that wrong on this.

I’ve followed both the football and basketball teams diligently for nearly 20 years and can’t think of a single example.

Ok. How about you name some actual JUCO athletes who were accepted to Northwestern, the year they were accepted, and then those who actually graduated? I’m always open to new information, but I bet I’m not that wrong on this.

I’ve followed both the football and basketball teams diligently for nearly 20 years and can’t think of a single example.

Well, there was Kustok

Well I've been following NU for for about 30 more years then you have and I can name a few. Let's start with a starter at QB, named Hughes.

Well I've been following NU for for about 30 more years then you have and I can name a few. Let's start with a starter at QB, named Hughes.
Ok, what year did Hughes join from a JUCO and what degree did he graduate with? 1970 was a different era.

Right, JUCO to the East ;)
If only. As much as I am loathe to admit it: if Notre Dame joined the Big Ten, they’d probably be one of the best academic schools right away.

(1) Northwestern
(2) Michigan
(3) ...would Notre Dame automatically be third place??
(4A) Purdue
(4B) Illinois (that Engineering program is killer)

(Dead last) Rutgers

If only. As much as I am loathe to admit it: if Notre Dame joined the Big Ten, they’d probably be one of the best academic schools right away.

(1) Northwestern
(2) Michigan
(3) ...would Notre Dame automatically be third place??
(4A) Purdue
(4B) Illinois (that Engineering program is killer)

(Dead last) Rutgers
But, but someone just noted that they don't except JUCO's.

Reactions: IGNORE
Ok, what year did Hughes join from a JUCO and what degree did he graduate with? 1970 was a different era.
Why such hate toward JC players. I named one and would guess that there might be a dozen or more. maybe if I ever find my old yearbooks/ Media Guides ,I can come up with others. But this whole thing started because NU BB is down about 3 scholarship players for next season, so just maybe a JC guy could be available. They have done so before and really can't see why they wouldn't go that route again, if a good academic kid is available. And I will not attempt or even try to name someone. However someone mentioned BB player, Kraft or Kreft might have come from a JUCO.

For NU, I guess the most famous JUCO transfer is NFL Hall of Famer Steve Tasker. Played 2 years at Dodge City Community College, then 2 years at NU, graduating in 1985. I don't know if we've had a JUCO transfer since.

Reactions: Medill90
Why such hate toward JC players. I named one and would guess that there might be a dozen or more. maybe if I ever find my old yearbooks/ Media Guides ,I can come up with others. But this whole thing started because NU BB is down about 3 scholarship players for next season, so just maybe a JC guy could be available. They have done so before and really can't see why they wouldn't go that route again, if a good academic kid is available. And I will not attempt or even try to name someone. However someone mentioned BB player, Kraft or Kreft might have come from a JUCO.
Re-read my posts. I have neither hate nor disdain for JUCO players and even said if they have great grades that will transfer to NU, then we should consider that route. I even said that one of my favorite HS teammates ended up at a JUCO and had a great career thereafter. I am however a realist.

My point is that we haven’t accepted any for the last two or three decades, and there’s no reason to believe that Collins (or Fitz) will go that route now.

You also didn’t provide info for the one that you named, if he is even a JUCO. If he was accepted in the 70s or 80s, then that really doesn’t provide much of a corollary for 2019.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT