ADVERTISEMENT

Greenstein calls out Fitz

Because Turk is just making things up again.
Turk has a valid point. It is actually reasonable if Thorson considers other options. It is really difficult to see him coming back, in any case, given that the problems we have upfront cant be fixed for a few years.

Turk has a valid point. It is actually reasonable if Thorson considers other options. It is really difficult to see him coming back, in any case, given that the problems we have upfront cant be fixed for a few years.

And now Turk's alter ego is defending himself.

And now Turk's alter ego is defending himself.
you know GCG, you know a lot more about these things than I do so I know you are thinking about this. Fitz imo has his hands tied. I don't think he can play Alviti even though this OL may lend more towards Matt. Clayton is fast but after watching him play, he isn't a runner and is sorta uncomfortable running imo. But if Alviti plays then I can't see Clayton coming back. I don't have the answers but you know he has options if he wants. This offense has us in a tough position and it may get worse before it gets better. Obviously, I hope Clayton stays but no doubt his family will consider all options, including transfers. His skillset simply can't get developed under duress and plenty of it. Maybe I'm wrong and while it is true that the rest of our schedule gives him possibilities since the rest of our opponents aren't any better off than us. Time will tell.

you know GCG, you know a lot more about these things than I do so I know you are thinking about this. Fitz imo has his hands tied. I don't think he can play Alviti even though this OL may lend more towards Matt. Clayton is fast but after watching him play, he isn't a runner and is sorta uncomfortable running imo. But if Alviti plays then I can't see Clayton coming back. I don't have the answers but you know he has options if he wants. This offense has us in a tough position and it may get worse before it gets better. Obviously, I hope Clayton stays but no doubt his family will consider all options, including transfers. His skillset simply can't get developed under duress and plenty of it. Maybe I'm wrong and while it is true that the rest of our schedule gives him possibilities since the rest of our opponents aren't any better off than us. Time will tell.

Pick a personality/screen name, then we can have reasonable discussions.

Give CT some hope by making the necessary changes and he stays with his teammates. The program gets re-energized and hope springs eternal. Keep the status quo and I wouldn't blame him to leave. However, keep in mind why NU gets players like CT to begin with and listen to most of their opinions on the Head Coach. 40 years may sound corny but it is the main thing that sells kids along with Fitz. He needs to take care of the situation not only for CT, but for every other player on the team.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Give CT some hope by making the necessary changes and he stays with his teammates. The program gets re-energized and hope springs eternal. Keep the status quo and I wouldn't blame him to leave. However, keep in mind why NU gets players like CT to begin with and listen to most of their opinions on the Head Coach. 40 years may sound corny but it is the main thing that sells kids along with Fitz. He needs to take care of the situation not only for CT, but for every other player on the team.
If it was good to consider the possibility of going pro after a good year, it is probably good to consider the possibility of transferring after a bad year.

Considering possibilities and actually choosing one are two different things. CT knows exactly his situation at NU; better than all of us. Stepping out is full of unknown possibilities some of which are real dead ends. Even if things turn around this season, he might not get drafted. Even if he transferred schools, he might not earn the loyalty of his teammates, or could get injured. (he would also be moving away from his fiancé. Not a small factor if you ask me.)

After Penn State debacle, it’s past time for Pat Fitzgerald to shuffle his offensive staff

...and these tweets from the presser...
Teddy Greenstein‏Verified account@TeddyGreenstein 8m8 minutes ago
Asked about bright spots, Fitz politely joked, “awesome question” and did not mention a single one.
Teddy Greenstein‏Verified account@TeddyGreenstein 17m17 minutes ago
I asked Fitz about potential staff changes on O. He said it’s “fair” for people to feel that way but looks at issue “holistically.”

There is not any "calling out" that I can see here. Fair questions, and fair answers.

Uh, he already hinted at playing more of Matt in the press conference.

After Penn State debacle, it’s past time for Pat Fitzgerald to shuffle his offensive staff

...and these tweets from the presser...
Teddy Greenstein‏Verified account@TeddyGreenstein 8m8 minutes ago
Asked about bright spots, Fitz politely joked, “awesome question” and did not mention a single one.
Teddy Greenstein‏Verified account@TeddyGreenstein 17m17 minutes ago
I asked Fitz about potential staff changes on O. He said it’s “fair” for people to feel that way but looks at issue “holistically.”

"I'm sure there are a million answers flying around on the internet," he said.

If our offensive linemen could stand up to opponents' defenses as well as Coach Fitz lashes out at his fans, we wouldn't be having this discussion, now would we?

Admittedly not an omnipresent reader of the commentary here, it strikes this occasional viewer that there is basically one pervasive opinion rather than a million. That would be that there needs to be a change in the offensive line coaching.

A minority view sometimes surfaces that there needs to be a change at offensive coordinator.

And on very rare occasion, the view gets expressed briefly that the program needs a new coach. This idea seems to gain little to no traction "on the internet".

Perhaps Coach Fitz should take to heart the advice of his predecessor, "don't read the internet".

"I'm sure there are a million answers flying around on the internet," he said.

If our offensive linemen could stand up to opponents' defenses as well as Coach Fitz lashes out at his fans, we wouldn't be having this discussion, now would we?

Admittedly not an omnipresent reader of the commentary here, it strikes this occasional viewer that there is basically one pervasive opinion rather than a million. That would be that there needs to be a change in the offensive line coaching.

A minority view sometimes surfaces that there needs to be a change at offensive coordinator.

And on very rare occasion, the view gets expressed briefly that the program needs a new coach. This idea seems to gain little to no traction "on the internet".

Perhaps Coach Fitz should take to heart the advice of his predecessor, "don't read the internet".

I believe that a grand total of ONE poster on here, a former offensive lineman, has provided substantive construcitve criticism as to how to fix the OL issues. Forgive me if there have been a few others, but that is literally out of thousands of posts, most of which are just trolling garbage, imo. So I can certainly see a lot of truth in that "I'm sure there's a million answers floating around the internet".

He should start next week. Maybe Thorson will wake up.

I don't know about starting, but on the rewatch of Wisky (I haven't rewatched PSU yet). He was clearly struggling, and it was clearly not solely the fault on the OL. At the end of the day, great QBs figure out a way to overcome things like OL weaknesses. There have other QBs that have been sacked a ton in this league, yet they are finding ways to win. We have too much talent on offense not to find a way to win.

I believe that a grand total of ONE poster on here, a former offensive lineman, has provided substantive construcitve criticism as to how to fix the OL issues. Forgive me if there have been a few others, but that is literally out of thousands of posts, most of which are just trolling garbage, imo. So I can certainly see a lot of truth in that "I'm sure there's a million answers floating around the internet".
Maybe Fitz or Cushing could grad onto one of those million answers.

The blue collar kid from the South Side of Chicago is using a word like "holistically" to fend off criticism of his staff? The continued struggles of the offensive line are bringing down the entire team and causing long time fans to check out. How's that for a holistic view of the situation?

How about giving about his salary in a holistic tradition? He is worth about a priest's wages as a HC these days. Him and holistic crew.

Reactions: 2388bb
We could also hope you stop throwing crap at the wall hoping it sticks.

Or we could hope that your head shrinks and fit in a room with someone else. It is quite reasonable to expect that Thorsaon is smart enough and driven enough to want to go somewhere that could lead him to the NFL. It would be a huge slap in the face for our program, but could you really blame him? If we head into the summer with the same ole coaches, would you want that jump under center next year, your final year, your last chance? Remember, people were touting this guy leaving early for the draft. Leaving early still makes sense.

Is that so? How do you know he has options? Or that he's even considered leaving?

Well, let's see. He has a year of eligibility left. I recall reading, might be wrong, but that he is on course to graduate this year. And every year there are available options - especially for an NU grad (academically speaking, P5 B!G speaking). Too bad you cannot fill that big empty head with some logic...

Or we could hope that your head shrinks and fit in a room with someone else. It is quite reasonable to expect that Thorsaon is smart enough and driven enough to want to go somewhere that could lead him to the NFL. It would be a huge slap in the face for our program, but could you really blame him? If we head into the summer with the same ole coaches, would you want that jump under center next year, your final year, your last chance? Remember, people were touting this guy leaving early for the draft. Leaving early still makes sense.

How many high profile players of ours have transferred to other programs in the Fitz era?

How many high profile players of ours have transferred to other programs in the Fitz era?

Great logic. Never has happened so never will happen. Maintain the status quo and have some koolaid, it will help ease all pains....

Reactions: 2388bb
Great logic. Never has happened so never will happen. Maintain the status quo and have some koolaid, it will help ease all pains....

Wanna wager screenames that Thorson will NOT transfer? You can take the "Thorson will transfer" side of the bet, and I the other. I already have my screename picked out for you....

Wanna wager screenames that Thorson will NOT transfer? You can take the "Thorson will transfer" side of the bet, and I the other. I already have my screename picked out for you....

Need more contingencies. Assuming not hurt, no coaching changes and he graduates by year end, then yes. Is it a bet with these conditions?

Need more contingencies. Assuming not hurt, no coaching changes and he graduates by year end, then yes. Is it a bet with these conditions?

Booked. If the contingencies you outline occur, bet is off. Winner gets to change loser's screename to any name of his/her choosing, as long as the name does not violate Rivals TOS. Bet assumes the cooperation of mods in changing the screename (was not a problem when I changed NJCat's name, so assume it will be OK here. You: Thorson will transfer I: Thorson will not transfer. Good luck!

Booked. If the contingencies you outline occur, bet is off. Winner gets to change loser's screename to any name of his/her choosing, as long as the name does not violate Rivals TOS. Bet assumes the cooperation of mods in changing the screename (was not a problem when I changed NJCat's name, so assume it will be OK here. You: Thorson will transfer I: Thorson will not transfer. Good luck!

Backwards, my contingencies must occur. No injury to Thor, no coaching changes and he graduates by summer. If all those happen, then I bet he transfers.

Backwards, my contingencies must occur. No injury to Thor, no coaching changes and he graduates by summer. If all those happen, then I bet he transfers.

Sorry, that is what I meant; that if there Is an injury, et. al. bet is off. Are we on? QTC

Sorry, that is what I meant; that if there Is an injury, et. al. bet is off. Are we on? QTC

No. My position is absent injury to Thor, absent coaching change and if he is eligible for grad transfer, then he will leave next year. Sounds like you tend to agree and that was also Turks point, fyi.

No. My position is absent injury to Thor, absent coaching change and if he is eligible for grad transfer, then he will leave next year. Sounds like you tend to agree and that was also Turks point, fyi.

OK, so you have Thorson transferring next year if no change to Fitz as head coach (obv there is going to be a coaching change, they're adding a 10th coach), and if eligible for grad transfer. and not injured.

I have Thorson not transfering.

Is this correct? QTC

OK, so you have Thorson transferring next year if no change to Fitz as head coach (obv there is going to be a coaching change, they're adding a 10th coach), and if eligible for grad transfer. and not injured.

Is this correct? QTC

No, any coaching change. I would probably make a small wager that no coaching changes occur. Again. Holistic coaching. Embrace the suck. #toomuchcoachspeak

Is this correct? QTC

Not counting added coach. Meaning cushing, mccall, springer, all still here.

So if there are coaching changes, the bet is off? Or you win? I'm only betting on Thorson transferring....

Simply put:
1. Cushing, mccall, springer all remain on staff and,
2. Thor not injured and,
3. Thor eligible for grad transfer rules,

Equals

Thor transfers.

Your responsive handle bet on these terms?

About as many that have had NFL scouts come to see them with one more year of eligibility since the rule change.

The announcers must have said a dozen times that NFL scouts flew in to look at him. Amazing how some NU fans talked about him leaving early and being a high draft choice but that no top college program would want him. He doesnt have the support here to fulfill his potential due to the holistic program.

Simply put:
1. Cushing, mccall, springer all remain on staff and,
2. Thor not injured and,
3. Thor eligible for grad transfer rules,

Equals

Thor transfers.

Your responsive handle bet on these terms?

So, you agree witb me...and turk then? Dont be sad, you are not alone. And the koolaid withdrawl is minor and well worth logic and honesty returning to you.

So, you agree witb me...and turk then? Dont be sad, you are not alone. And the koolaid withdrawl is minor and well worth logic and honesty returning to you.

Ummm, you're agreeing with yourself now.

Too many rapid ascents or too much NU football?

For some reason, I'm thinking it's more likely that Thorson leaves early for the NFL draft than he transfers to another school to play. Hell, I'm willing to bet that if he was to leave for the NFL draft right now (if the season ended on Saturday) and had a good combine or workouts, he would still be a late-round draft pick. Like I said before, I don't see why he can't carve out a professional career like Siemian - except perhaps he needs to shore up his mental game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT