ADVERTISEMENT

Groce Just Got A One-year Extension

And I was like that's awesome because they have 3 recruits so maybe they have filled their class but no because of the mess that is Illinois hoops they have 6 open spots for 2017.

That said, I am thrilled that Illinois has 3 solid recruits from Illinois that are staying home.

He's close with Goodwin and the two have been tweeting about it today. Goodwin says it has definitely opened his eyes about Illinois

Good for him. We saw how it went down with the famous Georgia Peaches. Illinois is a terrible destination and half of the team seems to run into trouble one way or another, so (shrug).

It's probably better for NU if U of I is halfway decent. Helps build the rivalry and helps RPI.

Good for him. We saw how it went down with the famous Georgia Peaches. Illinois is a terrible destination and half of the team seems to run into trouble one way or another, so (shrug).

It's probably better for NU if U of I is halfway decent. Helps build the rivalry and helps RPI.

This is a bewildering post about a basketball program that has utterly dominated you over the decades and had infinitely more success...

Reactions: all4theillini

Be careful on that high horse.

From everything I've read it seems like Tilmon is a high character kid so I wish him the best at Illinois. He can get a fine education there.

Reports are that it was an assistant coach who brought him in. Groce has to show he can coach at a high level or they'll bounce him and keep the assistant.

This is a bewildering post about a basketball program that has utterly dominated you over the decades and had infinitely more success...

You can't dwell on history. Nobody gives out wins for what you did in 1989. I have said this before and I will say it again, U of Illinois is a state school. You should be killing us in every sport every year. Yet you aren't. What does that say about U of Illinois, that a tiny private school in your own state can beat you at anything?

LOL! But you haven't won any more national championships than we have, have you? Helms national championships: Illinois (1915), Northwestern (1931).

What have you done lately?

Yet, this decade, our teams are 6-6 head-to-head.

Don't you enjoy the arrogance? Illinois has had a losing record in football against NU going back at least the last 25 years or so and has a 4-9 record over the past 13 games. A self-described basketball school of major importance, they are only 6-6 in this decade against a small, private school that emphasizes football. You wonder if Yugoslavia still appears on the maps on their wall. Is Illinois on the same track as Portugal?

HA! Forgot about that recent victory.

The Special One:
nintchdbpict000251285725.jpg

Yeah, our worst stretch in QUITE a while. I'm not here talking smack, I'm just saying calling Illinois a "terrible" basketball definition is crazy, especially from an NU fan.

I'm a Northwestern fan who actually hopes Illinois gets a little better. Illinois has a good basketball history, but certainly has not overachieved considering the state consistently produces some of the country's best HS basketball talent and has placed dozens of players in the NBA over the years. As one who spent my early years in Illinois and fondly remembers watching high school playoffs there on TV, I'm grown irritated with watching players such as Scheyer, Parker, Okafor, Alexander (to name just a few) leave for out-of-state schools. It's ridiculous that Indiana has won multiple championships while Illinois has none. NU and Illinois both need to get it together and quit playing as if they were located in a basketball wilderness.

not to mention that the guy runnung the "powerhouse" program at NU is an Illinois grad.......

Yeah, our worst stretch in QUITE a while.

This is true. But let's not pretend that 7 seasons is an insignificant stretch. It is, in fact, THE PRESENT TIME afterall. In 6 of the last 7 seasons, your fans have acted like getting beat by NU is a once in a generation thing...whereas I'd think they'd be getting used to it. And I understand why many Illini fans freaked out when NU beat Illinois for recruits the past couple recruiting seaons (Law and Benson). But your brighter fans acknowledge that any current recruit has seen our two programs on relatively even footing on the court since they entered middle school. Wake up and keep your eyes on the scoreboard--and not dreams of the Illini's past glory. The scoreboard says our teams are 6-6 against one another since 2010.

This is true. But let's not pretend that 7 seasons is an insignificant stretch. It is, in fact, THE PRESENT TIME afterall. In 6 of the last 7 seasons, your fans have acted like getting beat by NU is a once in a generation thing...whereas I'd think they'd be getting used to it. And I understand why many Illini fans freaked out when NU beat Illinois for recruits the past couple recruiting seaons (Law and Benson). But your brighter fans acknowledge that any current recruit has seen our two programs on relatively even footing on the court since they entered middle school. Wake up and keep your eyes on the scoreboard--and not dreams of the Illini's past glory. The scoreboard says our teams are 6-6 against one another since 2010.

No, I acknowledge that. Illini fans have nothing to talk smack about right now.

I do, however, believe UI still has more potential as a basketball program and probably a less difficult climb to get to consistently winning, which is the only reason I posted in the first place (that one guy said Illinois is a terrible basketball destination). We all know NU has other advantages, education being an obvious one, and location depending on what you want out of your undergrad experience.

Do you think he meant Illinois-grad Jimmy Phillips?

Yes, I do, and Phillips gets credit for hiring Collins. But he's not recruiting and coaching the basketball team, and I was under the impression that this was a basketball thread. Whatever basketball team NU puts on the floor for the next few years will result from the work of Chris Collins, the former Glenbrook North and Duke star.

No, I acknowledge that. Illini fans have nothing to talk smack about right now.

I do, however, believe UI still has more potential as a basketball program and probably a less difficult climb to get to consistently winning, which is the only reason I posted in the first place (that one guy said Illinois is a terrible basketball destination). We all know NU has other advantages, education being an obvious one, and location depending on what you want out of your undergrad experience.

Since I'm the "one guy" who made the comment, I stand by it. Illinois is a terrible destination because...

... the school's location is god-awful. People get stuck in Urbana-Champaign only because it houses the state's public university. Nobody else wants to live there if he or she can help it.

... the coach is on a short leash. This year's recruits could get stuck with a completely different regime.

... the school's leadership is inept, misguided, often corrupt, and a source of embarrassment

... the finances of the state that funds the school are a-shambles and it affects the school's outlook and planning.

... the basketball program roster has resembled a who's who of the police blotter in recent years.

Did I forget anything? Everything "good" about U of I, like Red Grange, Butkus, all of the Nobel winners, it is all ancient history and for years the Illini have been resting on their laurels and living in the past.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT