ADVERTISEMENT

We were UConn’s toughest test en route to the Final Four

Listen, I too am happy we had a second half run and strongly assert our game would have been less of a blowout - still a comfortable UConn lead, but not an ass kicking - if we just made normal open looks in the first half. But let’s not get all hot and bothered arguing who was the biggest speed bump on the road.

Just saying that our shorthabded team gave the dominant defending champs their toughest challenge on their road to the final four. Doesn’t sting as much, knowing that.
I’d certainly say it stings less to see them continue to do to everybody else what they did to us. They’re just a bulldozer.

They bulldozed everyone else worse, despite NU having 2/5 starters out and shooting like crap for the first half. Thats my point.

Of four blowouts, ours was the closest. Hard not to think about if we had all 5 starters and/or if we weren’t ice cold in the first half. Zero shame in losing to that juggernaut. Illinois got hammered.

Proud of this season in every way, despite the what-if daydreaming.
Not really. We were done before half. IL at least got to the second half before they disintigrated

They bulldozed everyone else worse, despite NU having 2/5 starters out and shooting like crap for the first half. Thats my point.
Stop dreaming. They knocked us out in the first half and the rest was just window dressing. Each team they played in the tourney they have gotten up by at least 30 including us

Last edited:
Illinois was in the game at the half. We were not.

No one has challenged UConn yet.
Alabama is a team that, on paper, can do it. While their defense is not great, they play the new school fast with lots of 3’s.

They can lose by 50, no doubt, but they can have one of those games where they are hot all night and just keep going on 3 minute transition-fueled bursts of quick 10-12 points.

Probably not, the brilliance of Connecticut is also carefully taking away others' strengths and I envision them being very concentrated on transition defense.

Listen, I too am happy we had a second half run and strongly assert our game would have been less of a blowout - still a comfortable UConn lead, but not an ass kicking - if we just made normal open looks in the first half. But let’s not get all hot and bothered arguing who was the biggest speed bump on the road.
Maybe but they have done the same thing to every team that they have played. One team has a bad half, yes you say that they just did not shoot well did not shoot well but when they do it to everyone....

Maybe but they have done the same thing to every team that they have played. One team has a bad half, yes you say that they just did not shoot well did not shoot well but when they do it to everyone....
So, this is what this is about. We had a post on here talking about how we were proud that after a rough first half, our guys came out and fought hard in the second. Then, our two resident Illanoy douchebags had to come over to OUR board and dump on us for trying to take something out of that disappointing last game.

So, you'll have to forgive us for taking a little bit of wicked delight in seeing an Illinois team struggle with UConn just as much, if not more, than we did. We put up with those two who act like condescending pricks on our board all the time (why they feel the need to come to our board, I have no idea), even though they can't beat us in football and they are only slightly better in basketball despite being able to recruit better athletes than us.

Also, 30-0!!! I've never seen anything like that in major Division I basketball, but especially in the NCAA tournament.

They take out the lead guard. With us Buie had a miserable game. With IL it was Shannon who had his worst game., And when the top playmaker is taken out, game pretty much over
Stephon Castle took out Boo and he took out Shannon. Held those 2 guys to 4-27 shooting.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Illinois was in the game at the half. We were not.

No one has challenged UConn yet.
Yeah we were down 57-27. It’s a nice thing for us that our guys didn’t quit and beat them 31-18 from there but it would’ve been a bit more meaningful if our run wasn’t in the garbage time minutes.

Alabama will be an interesting matchup for them. If you look at Bama’s offense, they pretty much only take 3s or shots right at the rim. There’s no midrange to their game at all, so if UConn overplays the perimeter and just leaves Clingan to protect the rim Bama could get out of their comfort zone early.

Purdue will beat UCONN. They can’t stop Edey and Clingan will be neutralized by the big guy. Doubling Edey will open up the 3 pointer. Purdue wins

Purdue will beat UCONN. They can’t stop Edey and Clingan will be neutralized by the big guy. Doubling Edey will open up the 3 pointer. Purdue wins
I think you underestimate just how good UConn's defense is 1 through 5. They also race up and down the court, including Clingan, so Edey will have to move a lot.

Reactions: SDakaGordie
Stephon Castle took out Boo and he took out Shannon. Held those 2 guys to 4-27 shooting.
That’s the number one takeaway here, pretty conclusive proof that UConn can take basically any elite guard it wants out of the game and force his teammates to do the job. Doing that to Boo and Shannon in a three game stretch is incredible

You say that like he was playing one on one the whole time. I didn't watch the Illinois game, but Boo was two on one to three on one most of the game.

Reactions: NJCat
You say that like he was playing one on one the whole time. I didn't watch the Illinois game, but Boo was two on one to three on one most of the game.
Not at the perimeter, but they did collapse on his drives. Of course, he was able to overplay Boo on the perimeter because he knew they would collapse the drive.

Not at the perimeter, but they did collapse on his drives. Of course, he was able to overplay Boo on the perimeter because he knew they would collapse the drive.
They did a lot on the screens to keep him from getting any sneaky Quick Look outside too. Wisconsin did the inside stuff but failed at the outside stuff so Boo still lit them up.

eehhhh......
Seems to me the only way Purdue wins is if Painter can con refs from outside the Big Ten into thinking Edey gets fouled all the time and never commits fouls.
And Clingan ends up playing less than 20 minutes.

UConn will understand "If Fletcher Loyer is guarding you, attack."

The game could actually be pretty interesting if the refs let the two big guys go to war in the paint, but the chances of that are practically zero. I'd be okay with Edey physically challenging Clingan - like posting up and ramming right into him and seeing how Clingan responds. In fact, if the refs were to call Painter and Hurley over before the game and say "Look, we aren't going to call any fouls on the two big guys, unless it is flagrant" I'd be cool with that.

This is a great writeup about UConn’s dominance in the regional final. Old school magazine-style writing. Many here would enjoy it. By longtime SI guy Charles P. Pierce.

Purdue guards are the weak link. The chain breaks soon.
I’d estimate half of Smith’s assists are ‘dump into the post, Edey does a post move’. The numbers severely overstate his game. He’ll have a Sobolewski-like tumble from glory next year.

• Love
So, this is what this is about. We had a post on here talking about how we were proud that after a rough first half, our guys came out and fought hard in the second. Then, our two resident Illanoy douchebags had to come over to OUR board and dump on us for trying to take something out of that disappointing last game.

So, you'll have to forgive us for taking a little bit of wicked delight in seeing an Illinois team struggle with UConn just as much, if not more, than we did. We put up with those two who act like condescending pricks on our board all the time (why they feel the need to come to our board, I have no idea), even though they can't beat us in football and they are only slightly better in basketball despite being able to recruit better athletes than us.

Also, 30-0!!! I've never seen anything like that in major Division I basketball, but especially in the NCAA tournament.
Yes we are proud of what they accomplished during the season and while it is nice that the team showed some life in the second half, reality is that the game was already over once they got up by 30 (I am as proud and happy with what they accomplished as anyone and it would have been nice to see them at full strength in that game). They took us to the woodshed in the first half. Ill kept it close in the first half (really the only thing close to a challenge UCON has faced in the tourney)and destroyed them in the beginning of the second. Result is the same, 20 plus point loss.

Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
This is a great writeup about UConn’s dominance in the regional final. Old school magazine-style writing. Many here would enjoy it. By longtime SI guy Charles P. Pierce.

I’d estimate half of Smith’s assists are ‘dump into the post, Edey does a post move’. The numbers severely overstate his game. He’ll have a Sobolewski-like tumble from glory next year.
You play the hand you have and that is a pretty big hand

Yes we are proud of what they accomplished during the season and while it is nice that the team showed some life in the second half, reality is that the game was already over once they got up by 30 (I am as proud and happy with what they accomplished as anyone and it would have been nice to see them at full strength in that game). They took us to the woodshed in the first half. Ill kept it close in the first half (really the only thing close to a challenge UCON has faced in the tourney)and destroyed them in the beginning of the second. Result is the same, 20 plus point loss.
Yes, but the difference is that we didn't venture over to their board to be pricks about their game.

• Haha
Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
Has Edey said anything regarding going pro or not?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT