ADVERTISEMENT

We have received the blessing from Bubble Watch

CappyNU

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2004
Chicago
Let us hope he is correct:
Elsewhere, Northwestern and Illinois get the lock nod here. We could have gone for both last week, but cautiously waited to see how things played out, including elsewhere along the bubble. Right now, despite losses over the weekend, both the Wildcats and Illini are projected around No. 6/7 seeds, and there is enough on both resumes relative to actual bubble teams to ensure they don’t fall too close to the cut line even if they take a couple more defeats en route to the postseason. Not that both are flawless: Northwestern’s 292-ranked nonconference schedule is … concerning. But the fact of the matter is that a team with a relatively clean resume plus seven Quadrant 1 victories, including at Indiana, is going to get in the tournament sooner or later. Illinois, meanwhile, kind of looks like Maryland: three Quadrant 1 wins backed by a very solid Quadrant 2 performance (6-1), except two of those Q1 wins were over UCLA and Texas on neutral floors. That gets you in the field, too.​

Congratulations to Northwestern for formally securing its second NCAA Tournament appearance of all time, and congrats to us for starting to clear out some of this Big Ten chaff.​

Let us hope he is correct:
Elsewhere, Northwestern and Illinois get the lock nod here. We could have gone for both last week, but cautiously waited to see how things played out, including elsewhere along the bubble. Right now, despite losses over the weekend, both the Wildcats and Illini are projected around No. 6/7 seeds, and there is enough on both resumes relative to actual bubble teams to ensure they don’t fall too close to the cut line even if they take a couple more defeats en route to the postseason. Not that both are flawless: Northwestern’s 292-ranked nonconference schedule is … concerning. But the fact of the matter is that a team with a relatively clean resume plus seven Quadrant 1 victories, including at Indiana, is going to get in the tournament sooner or later. Illinois, meanwhile, kind of looks like Maryland: three Quadrant 1 wins backed by a very solid Quadrant 2 performance (6-1), except two of those Q1 wins were over UCLA and Texas on neutral floors. That gets you in the field, too.​

Congratulations to Northwestern for formally securing its second NCAA Tournament appearance of all time, and congrats to us for starting to clear out some of this Big Ten chaff.​
I ran the scenario in BartTorvik with the Cats losing the next two games and then losing against Minnesota, classifying it as a home game. This is the worst case. Scenario resulted in a 11 seed, last of the last 4 byes.

The opposite scenario is two wins, then winning the BTT in 3 games. I used Wisconsin, Maryland and Purdue. That resulted in a 5 seed. So that's the range.

I will still be one of many NU fans fretting about their next win until it happens.

Reactions: drewjin
I was excited to see this blessing today, and that guys like Palm have NU as a fifth seed this morning, even after last week's tough week, but like most (all?) NU fans, I won't be relaxed until I see NU is in on March 12.

Reactions: Arlcatsfan
This link has certainly been posted before, but the aggregating bracketmatrix has all the brackets. We are now the "third" #6. I believe we were "first" #6 before the two losses. Amongst the, seems like million, brackets - our highest is #5; lowest #10 (blue and red on our line)

Here is the link: http://bracketmatrix.com/

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT