ADVERTISEMENT

Happy St. Patrick's Day and a Tip-O-The Hat to Coach Fitzgerald and the Irish at NU

Alaskawildkat

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2005
Reflecting upon the Irish immigrants who were welcomed into New York Harbor by the Green Lady:

IMG_6284.jpg
IMG_6276.jpg
1_(42).jpg

Last edited:
1_(42).jpg

Just located this photo I took in Taiwan at the National Palace Museum located there. Pictured is the actual Jadeite Cabbage from the Quing Dynasty.

This jade head of bok choy is arguably the most valuable of all green treasures, excepting that green pot of gold at the end of an Irish Rainbow.

IMG_2234_zpsvt4jadhv.jpg

Last edited:
FWIW, I just checked my AncestryDNA test results to see if I had any claim to Irish ancestry.

However it only reported an identified percentage for the combined region of Ireland/Scotland/Wales without more specificity.

Last edited:
Sounds right. Definitely an uncanny resemblance.

Separately, there are insects (a locust and katydid) on the jade cabbage carved from the same piece of jade.

Apparently an underlying attraction of the treasure is that the artist created an item of beauty from a flawed stone.

Sort of like what certain Northwestern coaches have done over the years,

Last edited:
Reactions: Gladeskat
I know there does not appear to be any love for Irish Whiskey on this board but I found one that would be a good transition from bourbon. Try "Fighting 69th"-single pot, triple distilled, aged 3 years in bourbon casks. It is hard to find but worth a try

My relatives emigrated to NYC from Ireland during or after The Famine. My great grandfather fought in the "Irish Brigade" during the Civil War ,later known as the "Fighting 69th" in WWI

There was a movie 70-80 years ago ,starring James Cagney about the "Fighting 69th"

Fighting 69th Whiskey honors the Irish heritage of the 69th. Maybe it tastes better because of the family connection

I know there does not appear to be any love for Irish Whiskey on this board but I found one that would be a good transition from bourbon. Try "Fighting 69th"-single pot, triple distilled, aged 3 years in bourbon casks. It is hard to find but worth a try

My relatives emigrated to NYC from Ireland during or after The Famine. My great grandfather fought in the "Irish Brigade" during the Civil War ,later known as the "Fighting 69th" in WWI

There was a movie 70-80 years ago ,starring James Cagney about the "Fighting 69th"

Fighting 69th Whiskey honors the Irish heritage of the 69th. Maybe it tastes better because of the family connection
I’m a little young so I haven’t had the budget to try as many whiskeys as I would like but Irish whiskey seems to be a consistent favorite for me. I haven’t found a scotch I like but Irish whiskey and bourbon are some of my favs rn.

Even though we are Greek, my Dad, who passed away four years ago at 94, spent four years during WWII with the 27th Regiment, Fighting 69th. One of the few non New Yorkers in the 69th. He was quite proud to be a Mst. Sgt. with that outfit. I'm also very proud of my Pops!!!

The Irish Brigade won accolades during the Civil War but were almost annihilated at Sharpsburg(Antietam) . I may be wrong but the "sunken road" produced 60% casualties in the unit

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
I have the Regimental Flag of the 69th hanging in my bar. It is Kelly green with clouds and sun overhanging a harp. The motto in Gaelic translates as "Who never retreats from the clash of spears"

The regimental marching and drinking song was "Gary Owen" It is an inspiring song that probably helped the brigade march into withering fire at Antietam and Fredericksburg. The song gained infamy as the tune that Custer used at the Battle of Little Bighorn

There was an Irish whiskey that bore my real last name. It was nasty, nasty, nasty. As far as I know, it is no longer available. Do not, under any circumstances, go looking for it because aging could not possible improve it.

There's a high-priced Irish whiskey with your last name, but maybe I've forgotten your last name.

Reactions: StreamCat
Is that a jade coccolithophorid?

3-coccolithophores-steve-gschmeissner.jpg
Sounds right. Definitely an uncanny resemblance.

Separately, there are insects (a locust and katydid) on the jade cabbage carved from the same piece of jade.

Apparently an underlying attraction of the treasure is that the artist created an item of beauty from a flawed stone.

Sort of like what certain Northwestern coaches have done over the years,

Edited to clarify.

Back in my law school days, a few Irish lads and I used to spike kegs of beer with both green food coloring and a quart of grain alcohol. The effects were interesting, to say the least. Sadly I have outgrown that fine tradition although green beer is still consumed.

Reactions: No Chores
Back in my law school days, a few Irish lads and I used to spike kegs of beer with both green food coloring and a quart of grain alcohol. The effects were interesting, to say the least. Sadly I have outgrown that fine tradition although green beer is still consumed.
Actually Guinness stored at room temperatures has a green sheen to it after 6-8 months so I always recommend Smithwicks for the first 10 pints, then the warm green beer is only a topic of conversation when it reappears

Reflecting upon the Irish immigrants who were welcomed into New York Harbor by the Green Lady:

IMG_6284.jpg
IMG_6276.jpg
1_(42).jpg
They may have been welcomed by the Green Lady but they weren't welcomed by many Americans. If you read newspaper clippings from places like Hanover, Mass. from that era. The Irish welcome was vary similar to the Mexican immigration of today. Described as dirty, ignorant, dishonest thieves for about a generation.

I know, rant board, but eventually the whiskey won us over.

They may have been welcomed by the Green Lady but they weren't welcomed by many Americans. If you read newspaper clippings from places like Hanover, Mass. from that era. The Irish welcome was vary similar to the Mexican immigration of today. Described as dirty, ignorant, dishonest thieves for about a generation.

I know, rant board, but eventually the whiskey won us over.
Then immigrants from Poland, Germany, Italy and other European country's received the same.

The Irish... Described as dirty, ignorant, dishonest thieves for about a generation.
Just about sums up my ancestors. My dad suspected my great, great grandmother of offing her husband. She had no hair, wore a skullcap, and ran her bar like a tyrant. She was tough as nails. Her great, great grandson? Not so much.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT