ADVERTISEMENT

Hazing investigation concludes, allegations found to be credible. Fitzgerald to serve two week, unpaid suspension

Some posts on page 1 did not age well. Wow.

edit: Jeez, page 1 of the premium board was even worse. I hope people reevaluate now that more details are out.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiskersMagee
Can't' disagree with anything in this opinion piece:

"Pat Fitzgerald failed to protect players. New hazing allegations 100% his responsibility"
USAtoday

Reactions: zanycat and NJCat
Here’s my two cents. The “new administration” (both the new President and the new”ish” AD had these details before Christmas. They could have fired Fitz and had a real search. Now, you fire the figurehead and likely replace him with someone internal who probably has a degree of culpability, even in knowing and not saying anything (because that’s the first phone call the paper will make after the announcement).

The timing of the announcement of the suspension was as convenient to keep Fitz as could have been planned/accomplished. (Recruiting dead period, before practice, likely vacation window). All this was the AD/Administration timing.

To suddenly make Fitz accountable for the details being released to the public is setting a very low bar for accountability. As always, I suspect keeping or firing Fitz comes down to the opinion (placating) of one individual, period. I would be shocked if that individual either didn’t have the information and said “he stays” or is likely (hopefully) pretty pissed that the full details weren’t shared with him before he weighed in.

Reactions: RevCat
So you are telling me that the Daily Northwestern ('I would have gotten away with it, if it wasn't for those meddling kids!') could find all of this out, but the law firm retained by the University could not find it? The truth will come out. If the Daily article is 100% true, the law firm in charge of the investigation is incompetent or culpable. Schill, Gragg, Fitz, trustees, all culpable (unless then law firm is completely incompetent-which I doubt) for a cover up. If the Daily reporter was misled by the two whistleblowers, I do not know what to believe or what will happen.

Reactions: RevCat
So you are telling me that the Daily Northwestern ('I would have gotten away with it, if it wasn't for those meddling kids!') could find all of this out, but the law firm retained by the University could not find it?
It is fitting that students that Fitz has routinely treated as morons over the years in press conferences with his snide remarks and condescending attitude, were the ones to bring him down......

So you are telling me that the Daily Northwestern ('I would have gotten away with it, if it wasn't for those meddling kids!') could find all of this out, but the law firm retained by the University could not find it? The truth will come out. If the Daily article is 100% true, the law firm in charge of the investigation is incompetent or culpable. Schill, Gragg, Fitz, trustees, all culpable (unless then law firm is completely incompetent-which I doubt) for a cover up. If the Daily reporter was misled by the two whistleblowers, I do not know what to believe or what will happen.
Huh? Why would you assume the investigators didn’t have the same information? The Daily article makes pretty clear that their sources reported to the University and talk to the investigators.

Huh? Why would you assume the investigators didn’t have the same information?
I would like to believe that the investigators have some form of integrity and are willing to report the truth to the public. Otherwise, this is just a piece of performance art. You are sadly, likely correct, and more realistic than I am. I do not have enough larceny in my heart to do something of that magnitude.

If it is true the timing of the suspension was delayed then others involved mentioned above are also culpable. If players were not protected from hazing and harmed as a result then those involved and those in power like Fitz need to be held accountable. “Not knowing” is not an excuse and points to lack of oversight at different levels starting with the coaching staff. I think the AD and the administration have made a huge mistake if they knew the details of the hazing incidents and think they could contain the negative impacts on the program and the reputation of the university thru delay and obfuscation . This looks so bad, esp for a coach, program and institution that we thought would never allow such abuses to occur. As an aside, I think it would be worthwhile to examine how hazing became institutionalized in the program and how to prevent it in the future. Further conversations about addressing hazing need to be held. I guess we’ve been naive to assume NU has been above it. This quote summarizes my current reaction to the allegations about hazing in the NU football program…..
——————————————
“The detailed nature of the accounts make it difficult to believe that they were fabricated by a disgruntled former player. One football staff member -- not a player or coach -- corroborated the running of players to WildcatReport. The person, who wished to remain anonymous, also said it would be very surprising if Fitzgerald was not aware of the practice because it was common knowledge within the program.

“It wasn’t a secret,” the source said.”

Last edited:
State of Illinois Hazing Law - Copied from ILCS Online

CRIMINAL OFFENSES
(720 ILCS 5/) Criminal Code of 2012.

(720 ILCS 5/12C-50)
Sec. 12C-50. Hazing.
(a) A person commits hazing when he or she knowingly requires the performance of any act by a student or other person in a school, college, university, or other educational institution of this State, for the purpose of induction or admission into any group, organization, or society associated or connected with that institution, if:
(1) the act is not sanctioned or authorized by that​
educational institution; and​
(2) the act results in bodily harm to any person.
(b) Sentence. Hazing is a Class A misdemeanor, except that hazing that results in death or great bodily harm is a Class 4 felony.
(Source: P.A. 97-1109, eff. 1-1-13.)​

(720 ILCS 5/12C-50.1)
Sec. 12C-50.1. Failure to report hazing.
(a) For purposes of this Section, "school official" includes any and all paid school administrators, teachers, counselors, support staff, and coaches and any and all volunteer coaches employed by a school, college, university, or other educational institution of this State.
(b) A school official commits failure to report hazing when:
(1) while fulfilling his or her official​
responsibilities as a school official, he or she personally observes an act which is not sanctioned or authorized by that educational institution;​
(2) the act results in bodily harm to any person; and
(3) the school official knowingly fails to report the​
act to supervising educational authorities or, in the event of death or great bodily harm, to law enforcement.​
(c) Sentence. Failure to report hazing is a Class B misdemeanor. If the act which the person failed to report resulted in death or great bodily harm, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor.
(d) It is an affirmative defense to a charge of failure to report hazing under this Section that the person who personally observed the act had a reasonable apprehension that timely action to stop the act would result in the imminent infliction of death, great bodily harm, permanent disfigurement, or permanent disability to that person or another in retaliation for reporting.
(e) Nothing in this Section shall be construed to allow prosecution of a person who personally observes the act of hazing and assists with an investigation and any subsequent prosecution of the offender.
(Source: P.A. 98-393, eff. 8-16-13.)​

Reactions: zanycat
Huh? Why would you assume the investigators didn’t have the same information? The Daily article makes pretty clear that their sources reported to the University and talk to the investigators.
The investigators were hired and paid by Northwestern. You’re surprised that NU didn’t release the relevant information when it has it’s reputation to protect?

Wow. Cannot say I am shocked, but I am disappointed.
Well my son was at NU on the team from 2016 to 2020 and he was never "hazed" None of the allegations put forward by these brave "ANONYMOUS" sources happened to my son. I am quite certain if anything that was alleged to be going on was going on , a player would just have to state he didn't want any part of such actions. Not participate and then cry victim. As for Coach Fitz, he isn't there to babysit grown men 24/7. If a player felt he was being mistreated all he had to do was go tell a coach or a team member that he felt uncomfortable or didn't want any part of such activity. Why didn't this brave ANONYMOUS source report it when it happened, especially if he felt there were teammates who were suicidal ? You would think if players were suicidal he would of felt obligated to possibly save a teammates life ?

Well my son was at NU on the team from 2016 to 2020 and he was never "hazed" None of the allegations put forward by these brave "ANONYMOUS" sources happened to my son. I am quite certain if anything that was alleged to be going on was going on , a player would just have to state he didn't want any part of such actions. Not participate and then cry victim. As for Coach Fitz, he isn't there to babysit grown men 24/7. If a player felt he was being mistreated all he had to do was go tell a coach or a team member that he felt uncomfortable or didn't want any part of such activity. Why didn't this brave ANONYMOUS source report it when it happened, especially if he felt there were teammates who were suicidal ? You would think if players were suicidal he would of felt obligated to possibly save a teammates life ?
What is your take then on this? Blown out of proportion?

I mean, I would suggest that this response is exactly why someone would want to stay anonymous.

Fitz and the University admins are all probably in the process of additional lawyering up. Could be some legal jeopardy and a lawsuit coming from the victims. No one will respond to the Daily article at this point until Schill has all his ducks in a row. Wonder how much Schill was involved in the Friday release and 2 wk suspension or if Gragg and Fitz hashed that out?

My NU fandom along with half of all my hats and t-shirts are gonna go away for a while now. Won’t consider financially supporting any aspect of the University if this isn’t resolved with some integrity. Gutted and disgusted but still quacumque sunt vera…

"The player also told The Daily that head coach Pat Fitzgerald may have known that hazing took place."

"May have known" is the same thing as "its possible he knew."

Other than that, yeah sure, some of that stuff is kinda weird, but it doesn't surprise me. Give me something that says Fitz was intentionally endangering players physically (other than the football part) and I'll get more upset.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
"The player also told The Daily that head coach Pat Fitzgerald may have known that hazing took place."

"May have known" is the same thing as "its possible he knew."

Other than that, yeah sure, some of that stuff is kinda weird, but it doesn't surprise me. Give me something that says Fitz was intentionally endangering players physically (other than the football part) and I'll get more upset.
"Knew or should have known" is enough. If one or many of my employees were sexually harassed and I should have known (see Lou's staffer quote) I would be liable for fines and prison, as would be my employer. Remember also, some of these kids were 17...

"Knew or should have known" is enough. If one or many of my employees were sexually harassed and I should have known (see Lou's staffer quote) I would be liable for fines and prison, as would be my employer. Remember also, some of these kids were 17...
Not knowing your team has a hazing problem is only marginally better than knowing your team has a hazing problem.

The Bountygate standard is in play here: “ignorance is not an excuse.”

Reactions: Darren72
They’re also victims of sexual assault.
Sexual abuse. (Important to note different definitions of sexual abuse and sexual assault in Illinois - assault reaches the stage of sexual penetration; this will matter if there are lawsuits or a prosecutor looks into the misconduct at the football program - not saying this will happen but important to note the legal difference).

Sexual abuse. (Important to note different definitions of sexual abuse and sexual assault in Illinois - assault reaches the stage of sexual penetration; this will matter if there are lawsuits or a prosecutor looks into the misconduct at the football program - not saying this will happen but important to note the legal difference).
How does Title IX define it? I think that will be the most pertinent legal issue. Especially if NU didn’t report the sexual abuse/assault.

How does Title IX define it? I think that will be the most pertinent legal issue. Especially if NU didn’t report the sexual abuse/assault.
I don't believe Title IX applies here because that applies when sexual violence invokes discrimination across sexes/access to education across sexes (which is what Title IX specifically deals with). - Having said that, I'm nowhere near being a Title IX expert or anything like that but that's just what I know of it; that it applies only when individuals of different sexes are involved.

This is a sexual abuse situation inside of a program where the individuals involved were all men (which is why I would use Illinois state law definitions of sexual abuse - general sexual conduct and sexual assault - sexual penetration, which has not been alleged here).

I think Title IX is relevant here because it requires people deemed ‘mandatory reporters’ to report instances of sexual abuse, assault, etc. Coaches are all mandatory reporters and certainly have had compliance training.

I think Title IX is relevant here because it requires people deemed ‘mandatory reporters’ to report instances of sexual abuse, assault, etc. Coaches are all mandatory reporters and certainly have had compliance training.
I'm pretty confident though that Title IX mandatory reporting has to involve allegations across sexes (i.e. allegations that invoke sexual discrimination/gender based discrimination in education).

These types of incidents where it's entirely inside of a program where all individuals are of a single sex should not invoke Title IX requirements/including mandatory reporting.

Of course, it's highly likely that University rules were broken regardless; there's rules regulating student conduct that would have obviously been broken here, I'm just skeptical so far that any would invoke Title IX requirements.

I'm pretty confident though that Title IX mandatory reporting has to involve allegations across sexes (i.e. allegations that invoke sexual discrimination/gender based discrimination in education).

These types of incidents where it's entirely inside of a program where all individuals are of a single sex should not invoke Title IX requirements/including mandatory reporting.

Of course, it's highly likely that University rules were broken regardless; there's rules regulating student conduct that would have obviously been broken here, I'm just skeptical so far that any would invoke Title IX requirements.
False. Penn State violated Title IX by not reporting Sandusky’s abuse. So we have that to worry about as a cherry on top.

False. Penn State violated Title IX by not reporting Sandusky’s abuse. So we have that to worry about as a cherry on top.

That's not at all what happened there.

The DOE in 2014 opened an investigation into 8 of Penn State's campuses Title IX procedures/processing after the Sandusky case.

In 2020 that investigation concluded and the findings all related to other cases that weren't being processed properly or in a timely fashion; and all of those (likely - the facts weren't made public) involved sexual misconduct across sexes/genders. The investigation had nothing to do with the actual Sandusky case (though it was opened due to the Sandusky case).

Again, I stand by my points raised earlier. Title IX did not apply during the Sandusky situation (although that was a clear violation of all sorts of other Penn State sexual assault reporting policies and Pennsylvania laws), and the same is true here.

You can read Northwestern's policies on sexual harassment/misconduct yourself; there's very specific instances where cases go through the Title IX process and the remainder do not and instead go through other processes. I'm fairly certain that the Title IX cases require allegations across genders/sexes, and other situations go through other remedial processes.

Last edited:
I've been on only a few athletic teams but never experienced anything like the sexual assaultive crap. Plenty of towel snapping. I'd be curious to hear from any of our athletes here that experienced sexual assaultive crap like this. The teams I've been on would never have stood for it. Hard to imagine a team that would.

This story is ugly in so many ways. Take the suspension of Fitz for 2 weeks. That decision by the high sheriffs says THEY believe the allegations are true and though they're not sure if Fitz knew about it, he should have. No day in court for Fitz. No facing the accuser. Looks like everybody is going to accept this decision as best damage control. But even THAT is doubly ugly because it excuses the sexual assaulters.

I have great difficulty believing Fitz would ever stand for it. Surprised that so many here think he would OR that he would be so out of touch he was unaware of it.
BUT, if these allegations can be proven to be true and it can be proven that Fitz knew about it, Fitz should be out the door, not suspended for 2 weeks.

Come over here to get some good NU news and what do I find? Excrement explosion...

Last edited:
If I’m doing my math right, Coach Fitz’s suspension ends today. I’m hoping he’s rested up and excited to get back at it tomorrow.
Maybe he's enjoying some cold ones with his drinking buddy JON. Early retirement isn't so bad for those who can achieve it.

If I’m doing my math right, Coach Fitz’s suspension ends today. I’m hoping he’s rested up and excited to get back at it tomorrow. (It’s been a long two weeks.)
Unimpressed Not Funny GIF

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT