ADVERTISEMENT

heard that the cats had a great weekend

with multiple kids on campus

Despite the disappointing year I am hoping the amazing new facilities, ample opportunity for immediate playing time as well as the relatively highly rated recruits we've landed the past 2 years are very appealing to recruits and transfers.

Reactions: mickbula
Despite the disappointing year I am hoping the amazing new facilities, ample opportunity for immediate playing time as well as the relatively highly rated recruits we've landed the past 2 years are very appealing to recruits and transfers.
I would imagine we will see some action in the next four or five days. It may be who the pundits have been talking about and then again it may not.

with multiple kids on campus

Did they all have a nice dinner and line up for the photo op from Fitz patio or did Collins actually secure enough bodies to do more than run the practices of Coach Norman Dale? (I'm still looking for any one other than Gaines who can tell me the type of gum the opposition is chewing at the end of the game).

At the end of the day I am more curious about Jrs. visiting before the spring signing period and the possibility of reclassification.

Did they all have a nice dinner and line up for the photo op from Fitz patio or did Collins actually secure enough bodies to do more than run the practices of Coach Norman Dale? (I'm still looking for any one other than Gaines who can tell me the type of gum the opposition is chewing at the end of the game).

At the end of the day I am more curious about Jrs. visiting before the spring signing period and the possibility of reclassification.

Huh?

Great. Now let's get that LG and Big!
This might be a good question for Heywood. Is the admission process faster or slower for these fifth year graduates. I would assume it is the normal process for regular transfers. This brings up another question.
Has the admissions committee accepted all of these people the staff is talking to at this time. Or is it a here is the offer subject to the admissions committees final OK.

This might be a good question for Heywood. Is the admission process faster or slower for these fifth year graduates. I would assume it is the normal process for regular transfers. This brings up another question.
Has the admissions committee accepted all of these people the staff is talking to at this time. Or is it a here is the offer subject to the admissions committees final OK.

I would be interested in learning more about the admissions process for grad transfers. I suspect, as I've said in some other threads, that grad admissions are not a significant hurdle like they can be for players coming out of high school. There are Masters programs at NU that are not highly selective in their admissions standards.

To build on that idea, maybe grad transfers could be a bigger share of the roster in the future. There are an increasing number of grad transfers available and it's a way to side-step undergraduate admissions. Getting more grad transfers, especially guys with more than 1 year or eligibility available, could be a smart way to help build a roster.

My recruitment was decades ago and a different sport, but I was a transfer. NU took the longest. Can’t remember the date, will never forget the day, but my acceptance arrived after I got home from school for the summer. It came FedEx and the coach was on the phone within an hour of delivery offering the scholarship.

I say it was later because all my other schools were in, I had picked one but not committed as I was still hoping for NU but losing faith fast. The other schools that had already admitted me were ND, UoI and OH-Miami.

So, may have no relevance. Or might not be until late May / early June if my experience was / is typical for NU.

Btw, why NU over ND? Little more schollie money but much better facilities, oddly enough. Hindsight - rookie coach was a poor choice on my part and got me hurt. Probably should have gone with the one of the more established coaches as coaching got me there in the first place.

I would be interested in learning more about the admissions process for grad transfers. I suspect, as I've said in some other threads, that grad admissions are not a significant hurdle like they can be for players coming out of high school. There are Masters programs at NU that are not highly selective in their admissions standards.

To build on that idea, maybe grad transfers could be a bigger share of the roster in the future. There are an increasing number of grad transfers available and it's a way to side-step undergraduate admissions. Getting more grad transfers, especially guys with more than 1 year or eligibility available, could be a smart way to help build a roster.

No, you can’t build a team that relies on grad transfers. It takes awhile to adjust to new teammates and a new system. NU needs to focus on being a strong developmental program.

RE: Admissions process

This is probably a ridiculous reach, but I'll ask anyhow.

I also wonder if bringing in a kid from a specific high school can help with future recruits from that high school. So for instance, might there be fewer challenges getting Steward into NU if Freeman is successful?

I assume the staff wouldn't go out of their way for an instance like that, but I wonder if they're happy to see it when the cooincidence arises.

Reactions: willycat
both transfers and grad transfers are very stringent. transfer athletes go through the same scrutiny as high school athletes where all high school grades and test scores are taken in consideration even with solid grades at their college

5th year transfers are extremely tough are well. the graduate admissions are different office than undergrad so i think a completely different process. but that i can't say for sure. someone else might know better.

CCC and staff have obviously had many undergrads denied - but several transfers and a 5th year who graduated as well.

NU does not make it easy on itself

both transfers and grad transfers are very stringent. transfer athletes go through the same scrutiny as high school athletes where all high school grades and test scores are taken in consideration even with solid grades at their college

5th year transfers are extremely tough are well. the graduate admissions are different office than undergrad so i think a completely different process. but that i can't say for sure. someone else might know better.

CCC and staff have obviously had many undergrads denied - but several transfers and a 5th year who graduated as well.

NU does not make it easy on itself
It’s ridiculous that NU goes back as many as 8 years in evaluation of grad transfers ability to succeed. Earth to admissions, most people mature after 14 years of age. The last few are far more important than the first two.

It’s ridiculous that NU goes back as many as 8 years in evaluation of grad transfers ability to succeed. Earth to admissions, most people mature after 14 years of age. The last few are far more important than the first two.
I totally agree with this. I was a totally different student by my third year of college than I was in HS or even as a freshman in college. I suppose that is true for lots of Grad applicants but some of us had more room for improvement than others.

I believe he meant ‘undergrad transfers’ go thru the same stringent process as HS applicants, and that graduate transfers are a different process.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
No, you can’t build a team that relies on grad transfers. It takes awhile to adjust to new teammates and a new system. NU needs to focus on being a strong developmental program.
That is fine but at this point transfers are what is needed, The fill an immediate need and they help to balance out classes. The other thing is they become good place holders. If you are wrong about a guy you are not burdened by them for 4 years

Reactions: Medill90
That is fine but at this point transfers are what is needed, The fill an immediate need and they help to balance out classes. The other thing is they become good place holders. If you are wrong about a guy you are not burdened by them for 4 years

You can win big with transfers. Look at Texas Tech!. You can win big with 1 and dones, look at Ky and Duke. It's all part of the game now.

Last edited:
I truly believe that NU hoops will be much improved over the next several years- more so than almost anybody anticipated. Top 5 in-conference finishes and several ncaa tourney runs- and deep ones indeed.
Not to be a downer, but I'd take that bet any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Nice commitment from Bamisile, but we've had some nice commitments the last few years that haven't panned out. A lot of work to do in the next two years just to get the program back to a competitive level in the Big 10. I'd be happy to see steady, consistent improvement and maybe an NIT bid in the next two years.

Reactions: IGNORE
Not to be a downer, but I'd take that bet any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Nice commitment from Bamisile, but we've had some nice commitments the last few years that haven't panned out. A lot of work to do in the next two years just to get the program back to a competitive level in the Big 10. I'd be happy to see steady, consistent improvement and maybe an NIT bid in the next two years.
Why the pessimism Id.A.? I am curious if you thought of similar chances of Fitz and our football team making it to the BIG championship game after we lost to Akron?? I think CC is a great coach and that he has some tricks up his sleave just like Fitz! He is going to turn the team into a consistent winner! After the past two seasons, I can see how some NU bball fans are glum and downtrodden. I have got an optimistic outlook for our bball team. I am very confident that we can turn it around.

Reactions: LansingCat
Why the pessimism Id.A.? I am curious if you thought of similar chances of Fitz and our football team making it to the BIG championship game after we lost to Akron?? I think CC is a great coach and that he has some tricks up his sleave just like Fitz! He is going to turn the team into a consistent winner! After the past two seasons, I can see how some NU bball fans are glum and downtrodden. I have got an optimistic outlook for our bball team. I am very confident that we can turn it around.

I’m hopeful and glass is half full but objectively nobody would bet on NU being top 5 in conference and several tourney runs including deep ones within several years. We are thrilled with this commit but a borderline top 100 recruit is par for the course in big ten. A roster of guys like this would give us average big ten talent—-which is great and an incredible achievement. But even then we’d need a lot to come together to be a top 5 big ten team with multiple NCAA runs.

I’m hopeful and glass is half full but objectively nobody would bet on NU being top 5 in conference and several tourney runs including deep ones within several years. We are thrilled with this commit but a borderline top 100 recruit is par for the course in big ten. A roster of guys like this would give us average big ten talent—-which is great and an incredible achievement. But even then we’d need a lot to come together to be a top 5 big ten team with multiple NCAA runs.
What torque said. ;)

Hey TC! How many of Loyola alums/boosters/fans would have predicted or had confidence that they would make the Final Four during their run two years ago?? Not many?? Any?? Their proctor chaplain nun?? I am saying that anything is possible for our players/coaches if the chemistry is great! In so far as the "talent" goes?? What do we get each year for football?? Usually among the lowest in the BIG right?? But if the kids fit a system- they can kick some ass for us!! I think we had trouble the last two years because of reasons that may very well be gone now?? We've got some great players and a kickass coaching staff. Just because we regressed the past two years does NOT mean that jumping up in class and the rankings isn't possible now. I think CC may be NU's best bball coach/recruiter ever- let's try to believe in him and our players! They deserve it!

Last edited:
Hey TC! How many of Loyola alums/boosters/fans would have predicted or had confidence that they would make the Final Four during their run two years ago?? Not many?? Any?? Their proctor chaplain nun?? I am saying that anything is possible for our players/coaches if the chemistry is great! In so far as the "talent" goes?? What do we get each year for football?? Usually among the lowest in the BIG right?? But if the kids fit a system- they can kick some ass for us!! I think we had trouble the last two years because of reasons that may very well be gone now?? We've got some great players and a kickass coaching staff. Just because we regressed the past two years does NOT mean that jumping up in class and the rankings isn't possible now. I think CC may be NU's best bball coach/recruiter ever- let's try to believe in him and our players! They deserve it!
I think the big problem right now, Mickbula, is that no one is all that impressed with the Collins coaching performance. One post-season appearance in six seasons, and a rapid descent to the basement of the Big 10 just two years after making the tournament has greatly dimmed the "aura," if you will. Is anything possible? Absolutely. But there isn't a lot of confidence in the Collins coaching regime right now.

I think the big problem right now, Mickbula, is that no one is all that impressed with the Collins coaching performance. One post-season appearance in six seasons, and a rapid descent to the basement of the Big 10 just two years after making the tournament has greatly dimmed the "aura," if you will. Is anything possible? Absolutely. But there isn't a lot of confidence in the Collins coaching regime right now.
I have confidence. Our recruiting the last two seasons has been unprecedently amazing by any objective measure: and we are off to a hot start on three unprecedented years in a row. As we have seen with other programs: this pays off the vast majority of the time.

We'll see If I am right or the anti-CC crowd is. I've been on quite a hot streak, though, so perhaps I will finally be incorrect on something...

Id.A.: I can understand the frustration. But how many NU bball coaches have brought our team to the tourney And won? CCC. Who is getting us the best recruits in our history? CCC. Who lost his prized point guard because of the admissions problem last season that might have changed the whole season for us?? Gosh. I met CC at a campus activity two years ago. He is a great guy. And I think he is a great coach too! If we don't cut him some slack, believe in him and give him a chance to be the great coach that he can be, that would really be sad. I try to put the whole situation that we are in, in some perspective with our sports history- and I am more optimistic than ever that CCC and his players will be successful again in the near future.

Last edited:
Hey TC! How many of Loyola alums/boosters/fans would have predicted or had confidence that they would make the Final Four during their run two years ago?? Not many?? Any?? Their proctor chaplain nun??

Sister Jean had them out in the Sweet 16!

I have confidence. Our recruiting the last two seasons has been unprecedently amazing by any objective measure: and we are off to a hot start on three unprecedented years in a row. As we have seen with other programs: this pays off the vast majority of the time.

We'll see If I am right or the anti-CC crowd is. I've been on quite a hot streak, though, so perhaps I will finally be incorrect on something...

One point guard will solve most of our problems. The foundation is there at every other position for us to at least show signs of hope. Hopefully Buie can be that guy if we don't land a transfer.

Reactions: mikewebb68
One point guard will solve most of our problems. The foundation is there at every other position for us to at least show signs of hope. Hopefully Buie can be that guy if we don't land a transfer.
I'm not ready to count out Greer. Let's see what type of jump he makes between years 1 & 2. That said, it does seem to be the most important role on the team in CCCs system. Having a stud at lead guard would be big

Reactions: drewjin

I like CC, think he's a very good recruiter and representative for NU. He will go down in NU history for the tourney bid and I am excited and hopeful for the coming years. Yes, of course anything is possible and we could be incredible next year and get to the sweet 16. But that is about a 1 in a 100 shot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT