ADVERTISEMENT

Here's the two-deep

Why? We have no outside experience other than wilson who has only produced occasionally, albeit seemed to come on. I just dont think we have any depth at all other than all 8 wr are about the same skill level. Roberts must have been a dude as he was been passed up by freshman but he truly will be almost as good as vault on KOR.
If thorson gets a tweak more time then nothing else will matter and we will win the division. He is special.

You may as well have posted this time a year ago, "We have no outside experience other than carr who has only produced occasionally."

I like the group's depth.

It looks like we should be able to go 7 deep at WR...will be interesting to see if we end up playing any of the true frosh.
I hope so! It means they've beaten out older and more experienced guys on the roster. We need a receiver or two to challenge for all conference honors in order to achieve the team's goals this season.

NU regularly plays 6-7-8 WRs in a game. I'd be shocked if Leesus doesn't see some first half snaps against Nevada.

Maybe it's not a surprise, but I think it's great that Macan Wilson made the first team. He looked like a "won't be offered a fifth year" guy until midseason last year.

Annddddd he shall be heretofore known as "Leesus."

Leesus Christ Superstar

Because I think you'll be eating your words by halfway though the year on Brown and the receiving talent across the B1G is pretty poor.
How can I be eatinv my words when i say we have no experience? Has brown ever played a snap?
Ill be hopeful of Brown but considering your previous remarks dogging certain receivers, ill hold off from declaring him All Bigten.

You may as well have posted this time a year ago, "We have no outside experience other than carr who has only produced occasionally."

I like the group's depth.
You are absolutely right. But cant count on a season like that. Other than bates, i never saw someone so dominating. But with a weapon like Thorson, these guys could all have a special year.

I don't mean to be melodramatic, but I wonder how the flooding in Houston may affect the guys on the team who are from here. I count seven guys on the two-deep from the Houston area. It's pretty bad down here, and I'm sure they all have friends or family who have been affected.

I don't mean to be melodramatic, but I wonder how the flooding in Houston may affect the guys on the team who are from here. I count seven guys on the two-deep from the Houston area. It's pretty bad down here, and I'm sure they all have friends or family who have been affected.
They have every reason to be concerned about the too deep.

Stay safe down there. Hope the rain starts to let up today.

Reactions: NU Houston
Hope your doing ok. Just watching the news coverage is terrifying. Do you know how our friend who works for SW is? I haven't been able to get in touch with him. Is the airport open?

He probably would have started at Oregon this year, which makes me think he could start at many big ten schools. That being said, distinguishing between starter and second string for WR is kind of dumb.

Have you considered the fact that he was a bit banged up during camp and has been learning a new system and how to work with a new quarterback? As Fitz said, the whole 2-deep is fluid and I have no doubt that Brown will shine with time. And as a second team receiver, he'll be getting plenty of playing time.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Hope your doing ok. Just watching the news coverage is terrifying. Do you know how our friend who works for SW is? I haven't been able to get in touch with him. Is the airport open?
Thanks Willy. I think both airports are shut down. I'll email Dave and let you know if I hear anything.

Have you considered the fact that he was a bit banged up during camp and has been learning a new system and how to work with a new quarterback? As Fitz said, the whole 2-deep is fluid and I have no doubt that Brown will shine with time. And as a second team receiver, he'll be getting plenty of playing time.
He's likely second team out of respect for players that have been in the program--like earn first team on the field?

Reactions: ricko654321
Isn't that pretty much what I said? he's starter caliber at a national powerhouse program at Oregon; he's switched schools and is second string, which as you said is fluid or as I said is dumb to differentiate between 1st and 2nd team. I think we are saying the same thing.

Reactions: Overly_Invested_Cat
I think I would go with "alter ego."
Why do you have to be so juv
Aside from the OL, which everyone will dissect...

• Good that Kuhbander won the starting kicking job
  • Brown is behind Wilson...for now. Expect him to start as he gets more comfortable
  • Excited to see Jelani as the lead kick returner. Don't love putting Nagel, arguably WR1, as punt returner, would rather promote Lees from backup. Maybe over time?
  • Speaking of Lees, surprised he's not on the two-deep at WR
  • Rumors about Paddy were true
  • Wyatt in on first/second downs and Gooden in for pass rush situations?
  • Sam Miller, Blake Gallagher and Rashawn Slater join Kuhbander as true freshmen who will burn their shirts
How long before Brown is comfortable, in your opinion?

NU regularly plays 6-7-8 WRs in a game. I'd be shocked if Leesus doesn't see some first half snaps against Nevada.

Maybe it's not a surprise, but I think it's great that Macan Wilson made the first team. He looked like a "won't be offered a fifth year" guy until midseason last year.
He did come on so im not surprised either.

A few notes:

- Four true freshmen made it: T Rashawn Slater, LB Blake Gallagher, DT Sam Miller and K Charlie Kuhbander.

- On the O line, Jared Thomas is at left tackle and Blake Hance is at left guard. They've been taking a lot of reps like that in camp, so this isn't a shocker. Gunnar Vogel nailed down the right tackle spot, as expected. True freshman Slater is the No. 2 right tackle. JB Butler is the backup at both guard spots.

- The starting WRs are Macan Wilson, Bennett Skowronek and Flynn Nagel, and the backups are Jalen Brown, Charlie Fessler and Jelani Roberts.

- Fred Wyatt is a bit is surprise as a starting DE, opposite Joe Gaziano. The 2s are Mark Gooden and Trent Goens. Sam and Alex Miller are the No. 2 DTs.

- Paddy Fisher won the starting MLB job, as expected. He's backed by Nathan Fox. True freshman Gallagher made the two-deep at Will, while Warren Long is at Sam.

- The KR is Jelani Roberts and the PR is Flynn Nagel.

- Freshman Charlie Kuhbander won the kicking job.

Super surprised Brown isn't starting for us. He was likely going to be one of the top 2 receivers at Oregon, while our WR unit isn't exactly super deep. I wonder if it's a question of getting to know the playbook.

Surprised Riley Lees isn't in the two deep.

Whatever happened to Trey Klock? Started games at GTech, but I guess the schemes are so different.

Would it be unreasonable to suggest that none of our wr would start on more than 3 other bigten teams? Hopefully moten and jackson see the field together in hopes of getting our best 11 on the field.

I think that's unreasonable. Given that Jalen Brown was likely to be the #1 or #2 WR at Oregon. Shocked that he isn't starting for us.

How long before Brown is comfortable, in your opinion?

I believe he will be playing most downs, along with Nagel, by the time conference play rolls around.

The only snag could be his willingness/ability to run block. I have heard no reports about this and we all know it's a big priority in this offense (one reason I think Skowronek is on the first team).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT