ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Notre Dame -- Quit Flattering Us

Yep. That's what we are saying. ND sounds exactly like Ohio State in that regards.

Maybe those kids shouldn't be getting so much help and should be doing their own work.

OSU grad rate is about 85% not bad but all schools including NW has tudors that help these kids because football is a job. NW is 92%. just football players ND 90% Overall in all athletics notre dame is at 97% second only to Stanford graduation rate of 98%. That said you try to recruit kids that have the background that can handle the academic rigors.

Reactions: irishnatty
Any credibility ND had as an academic program went out the window with the likes of Chris Zorich and others (I remember a black QB who ran a good option, but forgot his name) who were basically non-qualifiers. When you bring in kids where Proposition 48 applies, you have no academic standards.
LOL...that was 1987! What evidence will you use next to illustrate ND football's lack of commitment to academics, George Gipp's ACT score or Knute Rockne's core classes?

If NW had a chance to bring in highly rated players that had borderline academics they would make exceptions.

LOL...that was 1987! What evidence will you use next to illustrate ND football's lack of commitment to academics, George Gipp's ACT score or Knute Rockne's core classes?

If NW had a chance to bring in highly rated players that had borderline academics they would make exceptions.
Fine, who cares. Been over this 1072 times in the last 2 years.

The person he was referring to was Tony Rice as a prop 48. According to the rules at the time prop 48 kids had to sit a year to get their academics to par. Tony did this worked real hard was student first and did well in school graduated. I am glad ND gave him an opportunity. He ran with it and succeeded. That is the way it is supposed to work. By the way that was the last prop 48 they took. when you take kids that may not meet the norm of the school you have to consider the quality of the individual. Tony is a quality person.

Any credibility ND had as an academic program went out the window with the likes of Chris Zorich and others (I remember a black QB who ran a good option, but forgot his name) who were basically non-qualifiers. When you bring in kids where Proposition 48 applies, you have no academic standards.
Chris Zorich and Tony Rice are examples of college football working.

The person he was referring to was Tony Rice as a prop 48. According to the rules at the time prop 48 kids had to sit a year to get their academics to par. Tony did this worked real hard was student first and did well in school graduated. I am glad ND gave him an opportunity. He ran with it and succeeded. That is the way it is supposed to work. By the way that was the last prop 48 they took. when you take kids that may not meet the norm of the school you have to consider the quality of the individual. Tony is a quality person.

That's fine and it's a nice story. I'm glad a kid got a chance and made something out of himself. But, let's not try to pretend that you guys have high academic entry standards.

Uh, no, we wouldn't. And that's the point.

You're trying to make an argument that a faithful man who loves his wife would bang hot whores all the time if he could. No. Not all men are like that.

And not all schools are like Northwestern.

That's fine and it's a nice story. I'm glad a kid got a chance and made something out of himself. But, let's not try to pretend that you guys have high academic entry standards.

they do, the admissions has certain minimal requirements for athletes. Just like Stanford or NW does. these schools including ND give more latitude to. coaches that want a player so say the kid was an c+ b- student in school and took all the required courses, was not an overall problem ethically and did average or somewhat near average in his standardized test and was a good athlete I guarantee NW, ND and Stanford would offer. That is the way it works. If the student did not take the language requirements that Notre Dame has ... He does not get into Notre Dame or the math requirements etc. I am sure it works the same way at NW.

the problem with 99% of Northwestern posters they make the 1% of Northwestern posters look bad. what a shame
Did you blow off the class on punctuation, or do you just deliberately ignore the style conventions, which make written communications clearer?

All schools try to set it so these kids can graduate. Notre Dame rate is 97%. Honestly, depends on the major but you basically have to try to fail with all the help they get

And that's what makes the academic side of the ND program a joke, IMO, regardless of your graduation rate. I like academic standards and the risk of failure if you don't study, rather than being dragged through school on a "help" hook, having attendance sheets signed.

Did you blow off the class on punctuation, or do you just deliberately ignore the style conventions, which make written communications clearer?

Another illiterate ND fan arguing that their Prop 48 football team has academic standards.

Reactions: nu greek
they do, the admissions has certain minimal requirements for athletes. Just like Stanford or NW does. these schools including ND give more latitude to. coaches that want a player so say the kid was an c+ b- student in school and took all the required courses, was not an overall problem ethically and did average or somewhat near average in his standardized test and was a good athlete I guarantee NW, ND and Stanford would offer. That is the way it works. If the student did not take the language requirements that Notre Dame has ... He does not get into Notre Dame or the math requirements etc. I am sure it works the same way at NW.

No it does not.

Uh, no, we wouldn't. And that's the point.

You're trying to make an argument that a faithful man who loves his wife would bang hot whores all the time if he could. No. Not all men are like that.

And not all schools are like Northwestern.
You're kidding yourself if you think NW wouldn't take a top 20 recruit with borderline academics.

A lot of people are saying Knute Rockne and Lou Holtz were *both* closeted child sex abusers.

You're kidding yourself if you think NW wouldn't take a top 20 recruit with borderline academics.
Sometimes I wish that were true, but it's not. (This is coming from a guy who is also an ND fan.)

There four, and only four schools that do not accept atletes with borderline academic: Stanford, Army, Navy, and Northwestern. Duke does it, Vandy does it, and so does ND.

And that's what makes the academic side of the ND program a joke, IMO, regardless of your graduation rate. I like academic standards and the risk of failure if you don't study, rather than being dragged through school on a "help" hook, having attendance sheets signed.

Another illiterate ND fan arguing that their Prop 48 football team has academic standards.

The last prop 48 and only 48 was under Holtz that was a long time ago. Tony Rice was it. They have tudors at Northwestern to help their athletes also.
Uh, no. We wouldn't.

We're not Notre Shame.

You are not living in reality. You have tudors for your players I know that for fact. not all players met the standards to get in to NW fact.
Stanford has that situation also. grow up

The last prop 48 and only 48 was under Holtz that was a long time ago. Tony Rice was it. They have tudors at Northwestern to help their athletes also.

You are not living in reality. You have tudors for your players I know that for fact. not all players met the standards to get in to NW fact.
Nah, not Tudors as much as those of the Jacobean succession.

Yes, they all have tutors (Tudors are a line of English royalty). They don’t all accept athletes with marginal academic qualifications as ND does.

Reactions: DaCat

Irony is fun.

We have much higher admissions standards for our players than ND. Fact.

Nah, not Tudors as much as those of the Jacobean succession.

Yes, they all have tutors (Tudors are a line of English royalty). They don’t all accept athletes with marginal academic qualifications as ND does.

John Tudor was a pretty good pitcher for the Caedinals but I don't knowof any connections to helping NU or ND football players.

I can guarantee the NU has no Tudors. They do have a Windsor, albeit by marriage.

I should of typed stuarts but having bad eyes and a phone creates a problem at times

Last edited:

Yep, I knew it. You're subway Irish.

And, an Irish fan telling someone else they are not living in (the present) reality is a hoot.

Sorry, we do have academic standards and cannot recruit much of the national talent pool as a result. Stanford has that situation also. Notre Shame? Not so much.

There four, and only four schools that do not accept atletes with borderline academic: Stanford, Army, Navy, and Northwestern.

What about Rice? I think they are pretty up and up too. Air Force? (I would be surprised if they were different from Army or Navy, but who knows?).

I’m well aware that standards for football student-athletes at NU, ND, Stanford, and pretty much every college in the country are lower than that of the general student population. As mentioned previously, it was once my job to review literally every single transcript that came into the NU football office to determine whether the prospect was viable academically.

NU’s standards for football student-athletes far outstrip those at ND. Fact.

Did you really think that anyone on this board was arguing that the academic standards for admission to NU are the same for athletes as they are for the general students? The argument is that admission for athletes is much tougher at NU than it is for athletes at ND. Especially football players.

I get it. Athletes have lower standards at NW but not as low as the other low life schools. And you are not arrogant! really? And how do we know this? I know because you say so. it has been a fun discussion

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT