ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Notre Dame -- Quit Flattering Us

What about Rice? I think they are pretty up and up too. Air Force? (I would be surprised if they were different from Army or Navy, but who knows?).

I'm fairly well acquainted with Rice's athletic program. Fans and alums are discontented right now because of the way their long-time baseball coach's term has ended. The Owls' sport that's in greatest disarray, however, is men's basketball. The former coach (until last year) brought in players whose h.s. grades/test scores may have passed muster. (I don't know the facts and can't comment.)

But character and commitment are just as important, and that's where scholarships went to the wrong people. Rice has had a dozen men's hoopsters quit or transfer in the past two years. All of last fall's frosh recruits are already gone. (Not to the NBA!) Surely that's a record even in this time of transfer volatility.

A new head football coach (former Stanford coordinator) is on board and hopes are guardedly higher for the coming season. It's a difficult time overall for Rice's major sports at this moment but overall I would concur that the school is on the "up and up" in its recruiting and importantly, in maintaining ongoing academic standards for players. I've been at practices when players must leave to attend classes or labs. Don't think that happens at too many D-1 places.

Did you really think that anyone on this board was arguing that the academic standards for admission to NU are the same for athletes as they are for the general students? The argument is that admission for athletes is much tougher at NU than it is for athletes at ND. Especially football players.

To be fair, getting into Notre Dame is a lot easier than getting into Northwestern for the general student body as well. So, I guess everything is relative.

Reactions: Fitz51 and rmndcat
Who cares if ND has lower academic standards for their football players than we do. That is common knowledge but it doesn’t make it wrong. The examples cited such as Tony Rice and Chris zorich are actually success stories. It proves that there are many athletes, and regular students for that matter, that do not get admitted to schools like ND and NU who could succeed academically and thrive in their post graduate life if given the opportunity to attend these schools. What I find shameful about ND’s administration of its football program has been how they have recruited and covered up for scumbags like Prince Shembo to protect the image and reputation of the football program/University. That does not happen at NU under Pat Fitzgerald and this administration.

APR is pointless. If you kick kids out of school (like ND did with 6 football players) you drop. But schools like Clemson are top 10? LOL. ND still has over a 97% graduation rate for athletes.
You kicked them out because you were forced to.

Who cares if ND has lower academic standards for their football players than we do. That is common knowledge but it doesn’t make it wrong. The examples cited such as Tony Rice and Chris zorich are actually success stories. It proves that there are many athletes, and regular students for that matter, that do not get admitted to schools like ND and NU who could succeed academically and thrive in their post graduate life if given the opportunity to attend these schools. What I find shameful about ND’s administration of its football program has been how they have recruited and covered up for scumbags like Prince Shembo to protect the image and reputation of the football program/University. That does not happen at NU under Pat Fitzgerald and this administration.

Well, that, and the fact that apparently every idiot in South Bend spends their time tutoring the ND players, hence FriedmanIP. :)

OSU grad rate is about 85% not bad but all schools including NW has tudors that help these kids because football is a job. NW is 92%. just football players ND 90% Overall in all athletics notre dame is at 97% second only to Stanford graduation rate of 98%. That said you try to recruit kids that have the background that can handle the academic rigors.

Tudors? LOL. sheesh.

Like I said, great story, but let's not pretend that Notre Shame has any admissions standards beyond what they are then.

LOL...that was 1987! What evidence will you use next to illustrate ND football's lack of commitment to academics, George Gipp's ACT score or Knute Rockne's core classes?

If NW had a chance to bring in highly rated players that had borderline academics they would make exceptions.

Yes. 1987. As in the year before your last national title. You basically had to cheat to get that and you’ve had none since the Reagan Administration.

And no, we don’t take the mopes that you do. You’re trying to compete with Alabama. (And failing miserably). We’re trying to create productive leaders and citizens.

I’m not surprised by your attitude. Has-been are always the last to realize that their time is done. ND hasn’t been relevant for decades. Some day, you’ll all wake up and realize you’ve been living in the past like out of the Springsteen song Glory Days.

they do, the admissions has certain minimal requirements for athletes. Just like Stanford or NW does. these schools including ND give more latitude to. coaches that want a player so say the kid was an c+ b- student in school and took all the required courses, was not an overall problem ethically and did average or somewhat near average in his standardized test and was a good athlete I guarantee NW, ND and Stanford would offer. That is the way it works. If the student did not take the language requirements that Notre Dame has ... He does not get into Notre Dame or the math requirements etc. I am sure it works the same way at NW.

In other words, your football standards are about the same as Duke and Georgetown basketball. Basically, none. Congrats on sinking to an ACC level.

Like I said, great story, but let's not pretend that Notre Shame has any admissions standards beyond what they are then.

They have standards. Not as rigorous as ours. Who cares other than you? This will be settled on the field, not with petty arguements like this one.

Yes. 1987. As in the year before your last national title. You basically had to cheat to get that and you’ve had none since the Reagan Administration.

And no, we don’t take the mopes that you do. You’re trying to compete with Alabama. (And failing miserably). We’re trying to create productive leaders and citizens.

I’m not surprised by your attitude. Has-been are always the last to realize that their time is done. ND hasn’t been relevant for decades. Some day, you’ll all wake up and realize you’ve been living in the past like out of the Springsteen song Glory Days.
Damn you're angry! Can you please explain how ND cheated to win the 88 national championship and congratulations on producing productive leaders and citizens.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT