ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Notre Dame -- Quit Flattering Us

DaCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
The saying goes that imitation is the best form of flattery. On the recruiting trail N* D* sure is on a roll trying to flatter Fitz. It's easy to target the headliners with the five stars and the four stars, but when you have to actually to work to figure out if a kid is a fit for your program then that's where Fitz and his staff shine. And programs like N* D* notices. I can imagine when an assistant reviews a potential recruit with Kelly, probably one of the first questions is did NU offer yet? It's obvious and just plain annoying.

I also want to shout out my thanks to Bryce Kirtz for rejecting N* D* when they tried to swoop in at the 11th hour with an offer. Stuff it N* D* !

The saying goes that imitation is the best form of flattery. On the recruiting trail N* D* sure is on a roll trying to flatter Fitz. It's easy to target the headliners with the five stars and the four stars, but when you have to actually to work to figure out if a kid is a fit for your program then that's where Fitz and his staff shine. And programs like N* D* notices. I can imagine when an assistant reviews a potential recruit with Kelly, probably one of the first questions is did NU offer yet? It's obvious and just plain annoying.

I also want to shout out my thanks to Bryce Kirtz for rejecting N* D* when they tried to swoop in at the 11th hour with an offer. Stuff it N* D* !
So does he get a 4th star now that he has verballed to NU?

247, not the 247 composite but their own rating, Had him rated four stars even before the commitment.
Sorry, FloridAlum, IMO Rivals rates prospects too much on how they perform in camp settings ( particularly their own camps) and how they look in shorts. I like the 247 rating better. Not to irritate Lou, but I am not convinced rated bumps don’t occur disproportionately to commits to programs with more history and a larger fan base.

Four years at the 74th ranked APR football school in the country.

GOUNUII

APR is pointless. If you kick kids out of school (like ND did with 6 football players) you drop. But schools like Clemson are top 10? LOL. ND still has over a 97% graduation rate for athletes.

Reactions: irishnatty

This has to be one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen? ND’s first question is “did NU offer?” LOL
This board is full of hypocrites. You call ND arrogant, but look at your own threads!

Reactions: zonairish
APR is pointless. If you kick kids out of school (like ND did with 6 football players) you drop. But schools like Clemson are top 10? LOL. ND still has over a 97% graduation rate for athletes.

So you have bought into one of the biggest lies in college football. There is ND the school. An elite academic school. Then there is ND football. And the two have next to nothing in common. Facts you should know from within the athletic department and office of admissions as verified by academic advisers for the players. There are very few admissions standards for the football players. Very much on par with Clemson. The only requirement for the degrees you boast of is to attend class and turn in assignments. There is no qualitative measure. Everyone associated with the process is held to strict secrecy under the guise of privacy laws. But those who move on tell the truth. In every material way, the academic experience for ND football players has nothing in common with those at Stanford and NU and has nothing on the better than advertised experiences at Clemson and OSU.

You are 74. Own it.

GOUNUII

I’m a diehard northwestern fan

I hate Notre Dame as much as the rest of you

But they’re not imitating us. Not at all. They’re offering the same players we are, because we’re offering good football players

We have a huge inferiority complex with ND. It’s similar to Sox fans and Cubs fans

But they’re not imitating us. Not at all. They’re offering the same players we are, because we’re offering good football players

We have a huge inferiority complex with ND. It’s similar to Sox fans and Cubs fans

ND and Kelly have grown scared of NU recently. Not so much of losing to NU, but of what NU is becoming. The level, and especially timing of their offers is too frequent to be coincidental.

Reactions: rmndcat and DaCat
ND and Kelly have grown scared of NU recently. Not so much of losing to NU, but of what NU is becoming. The level, and especially timing of their offers is too frequent to be coincidental.

I beg to differ. I think it's completely coincidental. I don't doubt that they respect what NU is now and will be in the future, but there's no shot Kelly is looking at NU's offer list and saying "offer these kids too".

Speak for yourself. The NU football fans I know want nothing to do with how ND runs its football program and even less to do with its sizeable contingent of obnoxious, delusional fans.
The NU fans I know place a high premium on being No. 1 academically. And want no part of being No. 74....no part of Kelley, and no part of ND’s steady stream of off the field player problems.
Otherwise your post is largely correct. I think they give respect to our player evaluations based on their first hand experience with how we go about it. But that’s probably the extent of it.

GOUNUII

Speak for yourself. The NU football fans I know want nothing to do with how ND runs its football program and even less to do with its sizeable contingent of obnoxious, delusional fans.
The NU fans I know place a high premium on being No. 1 academically. And want no part of being No. 74....no part of Kelley, and no part of ND’s steady stream of off the field player problems.
Otherwise your post is largely correct. I think they give respect to our player evaluations based on their first hand experience with how we go about it. But that’s probably the extent of it.

GOUNUII

They're talked about NON STOP on our boards, even in years we're not playing them.

ND fans couldn't care less about NU, a lot of NU fans despise ND. That's where the inferiority complex comes in. Again, it's like Sox/Cubs. And I'm a Sox fan

They're talked about NON STOP on our boards, even in years we're not playing them.

ND fans couldn't care less about NU, a lot of NU fans despise ND. That's where the inferiority complex comes in. Again, it's like Sox/Cubs. And I'm a Sox fan

Not.

GOUNUII
GOUNUII wrote: "with its sizeable contingent of obnoxious, delusional fans." Yeah, don't you just want to, when you see one of them say in the grocery store, in one of their shirts with the little leprechaun on it, want to slap some sense into them?

So you have bought into one of the biggest lies in college football. There is ND the school. An elite academic school. Then there is ND football. And the two have next to nothing in common. Facts you should know from within the athletic department and office of admissions as verified by academic advisers for the players. There are very few admissions standards for the football players. Very much on par with Clemson. The only requirement for the degrees you boast of is to attend class and turn in assignments. There is no qualitative measure. Everyone associated with the process is held to strict secrecy under the guise of privacy laws. But those who move on tell the truth. In every material way, the academic experience for ND football players has nothing in common with those at Stanford and NU and has nothing on the better than advertised experiences at Clemson and OSU.

You are 74. Own it.

GOUNUII
Academics for ND football players is on par with Clemson and OSU...and you know this how?

Academics for ND football players is on par with Clemson and OSU...and you know this how?

Because I know coaches, administrators and academic advisers from around the country. And I was only talking about admissions standards. Getting a degree from OSU or Clemson is arguably harder than at ND....but only if you play football at ND.

GOUNUII

Reactions: rmndcat
Because I know coaches, administrators and academic advisers from around the country. And I was only talking about admissions standards. Getting a degree from OSU or Clemson is arguably harder than at ND....but only if you play football at ND.

GOUNUII

You know people? And you know getting a degree from OSU or Clemson is harder than ND? Well, that settles it then...LOL.
Your inferiority complex is embarrassing the other sane Northwestern fans on here.

They aren’t.
Please tell me about the three schools admission requirements?

I worked in the recruiting office at Northwestern for three-plus seasons, reviewed literally thousands of transcripts as part of my job (to the point that I would get laughed at for being able to calculate core GPAs in my head without having to consult the NCAA website to confirm whether classes were categorized as "core" or not).

Notre Dame can get in any player they want. Period.

I worked in the recruiting office at Northwestern for three-plus seasons, reviewed literally thousands of transcripts as part of my job (to the point that I would get laughed at for being able to calculate core GPAs in my head without having to consult the NCAA website to confirm whether classes were categorized as "core" or not).

Notre Dame can get in any player they want. Period.

the problem with 99% of Northwestern posters they make the 1% of Northwestern posters look bad. what a shame

So let me get this straight... N* D* graduates 97% of athletes they don't kick for being thugs. Many of those kicked out probably shouldn't have been admitted in the first place. So 74 APR is probably a relevant measure in this case.

one of the funnier posts I have seen. Obviously, you do not know how recruiting works. Every program knows who the top players they are looking for. If that target or targets do not show interest or decide to go in a different direction or if their are academic issues the staff will look at other players. That is the way it works. Sometimes they may take or look at multiple targets depending on position needs. What you think this player was a well kept secret. not the way it works.

You know people? And you know getting a degree from OSU or Clemson is harder than ND? Well, that settles it then...LOL.
Your inferiority complex is embarrassing the other sane Northwestern fans on here.

The only embarrassment is what you’re doing to yourself. Football players at ND are being admitted with sub 900 SATs and 2.5 GPAs. Minimum core HS curriculum requirements applicable to all ND applicants are being waived, but only for football prospects. And you wonder why ND has so much attrition among its players.

I have no ax to grind here. ND is a great place and has played a large roll in my family. It is through our ND experiences we have come to know the truth....both as to non existent admissions standards and what it takes for a player to “earn” their degree. One other thing. There are some very fine student athletes at ND. As is the case at Clemson and OSU as well.

You can shoot the messenger all you want. But those are the facts.

GOUNUII

So let me get this straight... N* D* graduates 97% of athletes they don't kick for being thugs. Many of those kicked out probably shouldn't have been admitted in the first place. So 74 APR is probably a relevant measure in this case.

what northwestern never had issues with athletes. I seem to remember a corrupt gambling issue with basketball / football players years ago but it happened also recent 2 thug golfers were kicked off the program for DUI. If I google I am sure I would find more. It happens.

Getting a degree from any university you get accepted into should be a piece of cake if you just apply yourself. That's the point of getting ACCEPTED into a University. If a university is accepting people who cannot graduate, then the problem is with the university.

Getting a degree from any university you get accepted into should be a piece of cake if you just apply yourself. That's the point of getting ACCEPTED into a University. If a university is accepting people who cannot graduate, then the problem is with the university.
Although, this is a much longer discussion, because I remember as a freshman at Northwestern, in a large lecture hall being told to look to my left to my right and being told that one of you (3) would not be here in four years. Seriously, what kind of BS is that? Are a third of students just not up to the task, or is a university accepting people who should not be there in the first place? I don't know if this kind of thing is being promoted today at NU or at other universities but if it is, it is fraud.

Although, this is a much longer discussion, because I remember as a freshman at Northwestern, in a large lecture hall being told to look to my left to my right and being told that one of you (3) would not be here in four years. Seriously, what kind of BS is that? Are a third of students just not up to the task, or is a university accepting people who should not be there in the first place? I don't know if this kind of thing is being promoted today at NU or at other universities but if it is, it is fraud.

you do the work you will get your degree

you do the work you will get your degree
I think that's what I said, although my point was that are a third of students accepted not up to the task, or is the university not fulfilling its role to graduate those who they accepted?

I think that's what I said, although my point was that are a third of students accepted not up to the task, or is the university not fulfilling its role to graduate those who they accepted?

All schools probably have that problem but it is up to the individual

Reactions: stpaulcat
Just checked it out, ND graduation rate, across the student body is 90% and NU is 84%. At NU the graduation rate for football players is higher, which suggests help. Lots of factors in play, but I'm glad it is not the 67% they used to claim at NU.

Reactions: zonairish
Just checked it out, ND graduation rate, across the student body is 90% and NU is 84%. At NU the graduation rate for football players is higher, which suggests help. Lots of factors in play, but I'm glad it is not the 67% they used to claim at NU.

All schools try to set it so these kids can graduate. Notre Dame rate is 97%. Honestly, depends on the major but you basically have to try to fail with all the help they get

You are 74. Own it.

GOUNUII

Any credibility ND had as an academic program went out the window with the likes of Chris Zorich and others (I remember a black QB who ran a good option, but forgot his name) who were basically non-qualifiers. When you bring in kids where Proposition 48 applies, you have no academic standards.

Reactions: Gladeskat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT