ADVERTISEMENT

Hire Chryst as DC

PURPLE Book Cat

Gold Member
Sep 3, 2007
It starts with acknowledging that Jim O’Neill is possibly the worst hire that any D1 football team has made in the last 5 years. To go from a top ten team to the current status quo would be terminal for any head coach that had not built up the extraordinary goodwill that Fitz has with Northwestern (no, I do not believe NU should fire Fitz).

But failure to acknowledge that O’Neill is not the man for the job amounts to gross negligence and malfeasance. Even I - as one of the staunchest and most pro-Fitz for life advocates - would start to acknowledge the reality that Fitz as coach must be more heavily scrutinized if he cannot put any personal connection or feeling of obligation to an individual aside to meet his fiduciary duty as the leader of a serious football enterprise to show success. Fitz made a mistake in hiring O’Neill. He needs to own the mistake and take aggressive and immediate steps to fix it, lest the team continue a downward spiraling trajectory.

In Chryst, you have the opportunity to bring in a guy who knows the weaknesses in every Big Ten team, who demonstrated success at a high level (and frankly should not have been canned), who has a good relationship with Fitz and, given his current circumstances, might be willing to drive down 90 minutes to take a transformation job - even if for the remainder of this season.

Re: Bajakian - also on the hot seat, but I wouldn’t characterize hiring him as negligence just yet. He hasn’t had a chance. It’s hard to execute an offensive plan if you’re constantly playing catch up. In any case, Northwestern wasn’t exactly lighting the world on fire on offense before hiring him. The change in offense is a stark difference to the change in defense, where NU went from among the best statistical defenses to among the worst with direct correlation to the bungled hiring of an objectively awful defensive coordinator.

Fire O’Neil now. Don’t wait. Do it now, mid-season. Do your best to get Chryst. Otherwise promote from within on an interim basis. Hard changes now are necessary.

If you meant “as OC to replace Bajakian”, then we could agree.

Chryst has never been a defensive coach. He’s only coached offense, which makes sense as he was a college QB.

Chryst’s coaching history per Wikipedia:

1989–1990West Virginia (GA)
1991–1992San Antonio Riders(WR/RB/TE)
1993Wisconsin–Platteville(OC/QB)
1994Ottawa Rough Riders (QB)
1995Illinois State (OC/QB)
1996Saskatchewan Roughriders (OC/QB)
1997–1998Oregon State (OC/QB)
1999–2001San Diego Chargers (TE)
2002Wisconsin (TE)
2003–2004Oregon State (OC/QB)
2005Wisconsin (co-OC/TE)
2006–2011Wisconsin (OC/QB)
2012–2014Pittsburgh
2015–2022Wisconsin

Chryst has never been a defensive coach. He’s only coached offense, which makes sense as he was a college QB.

2002Wisconsin (TE)
2005Wisconsin (co-OC/TE)
2012–2014Pittsburgh
2015–2022Wisconsin
That’s what I thought. They were talking about that during the broadcast that the OC was now down on the sideline since Chryst was gone.

Actually DC. The team first and foremost needs a change in vision, leadership and execution. Bring in a successful head coach to set up criteria for success. The position coaches (or Fitz) can handle technique and play calling.

• Wow
Reactions: cidsports

2002Wisconsin (TE)
2005Wisconsin (co-OC/TE)
2012–2014Pittsburgh
2015–2022Wisconsin
91-96 Chryst's horse-riding phase.

Reactions: mountaindrew
Building on Purple Book Cat's excellent analysis and suggestion, I would like to add additional context and suggest another possibility.
1) O'Neil must be replaced for all the reasons noted above. Anybody can make a bad hire. It's possible Fitz thought hiring someone with professional experience was a great idea. But in his excitement he may have neglected to sufficiently conduct an adequate background check. O'Neil came from John Gruden's racist, mysogenistic and homophobic toxic culture which I have good reason to belieive O'Neil was an active part of. If the hiring of an Athletic Director who as a "diversity and inclusion leader" (this from Northwestern's website) is to mean anything and are more than just words, then action needs to be taken. If Fitz refuses to replace O'Neil then the decision should not be left up to him.
2) Paul Chryst was known for creating a family atmosphere at Wisconsin. He and his wife are good friends of Fitz and his wife. If he is willing, then he could be offered several options that would make him possibly want to join the "Wildcat family." Perhaps as Assistant Head Coach or "Special Assistant" he could help support all aspects of the football Program. He might be willing to accept something that would help ease the pain of his untimely dismissal. After all, Mike Hankwitz only joined NU after being fired by Brent Bielema when he was at Wisconsin and that turned out pretty well. This of course would require buy-in by all the parties but this is an opportunity that deserves serious consideration.

Building on Purple Book Cat's excellent analysis and suggestion, I would like to add additional context and suggest another possibility.
1) O'Neil must be replaced for all the reasons noted above. Anybody can make a bad hire. It's possible Fitz thought hiring someone with professional experience was a great idea. But in his excitement he may have neglected to sufficiently conduct an adequate background check. O'Neil came from John Gruden's racist, mysogenistic and homophobic toxic culture which I have good reason to belieive O'Neil was an active part of. If the hiring of an Athletic Director who as a "diversity and inclusion leader" (this from Northwestern's website) is to mean anything and are more than just words, then action needs to be taken. If Fitz refuses to replace O'Neil then the decision should not be left up to him.
2) Paul Chryst was known for creating a family atmosphere at Wisconsin. He and his wife are good friends of Fitz and his wife. If he is willing, then he could be offered several options that would make him possibly want to join the "Wildcat family." Perhaps as Assistant Head Coach or "Special Assistant" he could help support all aspects of the football Program. He might be willing to accept something that would help ease the pain of his untimely dismissal. After all, Mike Hankwitz only joined NU after being fired by Brent Bielema when he was at Wisconsin and that turned out pretty well. This of course would require buy-in by all the parties but this is an opportunity that deserves serious consideration.
What kind of reputation does Fitz have among his peers? Is he respected enough that someone like Chryst would want to come work for him? I doubt it

There is no reason for these guys to come off their respective buyout perches, and possibly (likely?) further damage their reputation, as Northwestern is not Alabama, and Pat Fitzgerland is not Nick Saban - the maker of men who agree to serve as his offensive coordinator and then become head coaches again. In other words...if Paul Chryst becomes OC, and NU loses out...what good does that do him?

I'd take either Chryst OR Frost as a coordinator. Do a rehab assignment like Lane Kiffin and Greg Schiano did
Hiring Chryst might be worth a shot but the bigger issue is should O'Neil be the Defensive Coordinator or should he be replaced. It goes without saying that there has been a huge if not remarkable drop-off in defensive production since Hankwitz retired. Fitz was fond of saying that Hankwitz was a great mentor. If so, then he should be as good as his word and one of the Defensive assistants coaches should be promoted to the Defensive Coordinator position. The team and the defense in particular, is in a tailspin. NU has a bye week coming up. Now is the perfect time to make a change and promote from within..

It starts with acknowledging that Jim O’Neill is possibly the worst hire that any D1 football team has made in the last 5 years. To go from a top ten team to the current status quo would be terminal for any head coach that had not built up the extraordinary goodwill that Fitz has with Northwestern (no, I do not believe NU should fire Fitz).

But failure to acknowledge that O’Neill is not the man for the job amounts to gross negligence and malfeasance. Even I - as one of the staunchest and most pro-Fitz for life advocates - would start to acknowledge the reality that Fitz as coach must be more heavily scrutinized if he cannot put any personal connection or feeling of obligation to an individual aside to meet his fiduciary duty as the leader of a serious football enterprise to show success. Fitz made a mistake in hiring O’Neill. He needs to own the mistake and take aggressive and immediate steps to fix it, lest the team continue a downward spiraling trajectory.

In Chryst, you have the opportunity to bring in a guy who knows the weaknesses in every Big Ten team, who demonstrated success at a high level (and frankly should not have been canned), who has a good relationship with Fitz and, given his current circumstances, might be willing to drive down 90 minutes to take a transformation job - even if for the remainder of this season.

Re: Bajakian - also on the hot seat, but I wouldn’t characterize hiring him as negligence just yet. He hasn’t had a chance. It’s hard to execute an offensive plan if you’re constantly playing catch up. In any case, Northwestern wasn’t exactly lighting the world on fire on offense before hiring him. The change in offense is a stark difference to the change in defense, where NU went from among the best statistical defenses to among the worst with direct correlation to the bungled hiring of an objectively awful defensive coordinator.

Fire O’Neil now. Don’t wait. Do it now, mid-season. Do your best to get Chryst. Otherwise promote from within on an interim basis. Hard changes now are necessary.
Chryst has been a coach on the offensive side of the ball his entire career. never coached defense in his life. His DC at Wisconsin had total control of the defense so explain to me why it makes sense to hire him as DC? OC is a different story.

Reactions: Eurocat
Chryst is an OL guy, so OC makes sense. I think Fitz is pretty well respected amongst his peers. If Chryst wants a HC gig next year, he can probably get one. If he doesn’t want the hassle, maybe OC is workable.

Chryst is an OL guy, so OC makes sense. I think Fitz is pretty well respected amongst his peers. If Chryst wants a HC gig next year, he can probably get one. If he doesn’t want the hassle, maybe OC is workable.
Jeez louise. Look above. Chryst has never coached OL in his career. He’s coached plenty of QB and TE.

Did anyone see how good Mertz was against us after his firing? Why do we want Chryst again?

I'd take either Chryst OR Frost as a coordinator. Do a rehab assignment like Lane Kiffin and Greg Schiano did

I'd rather get the Nebraska OC and have "Whipple Ball" next year because surely he will be out, and no, he can't be blamed for everything, he just got there. However that style of football is completely not what coach Fitz has historically wanted to operate. It's a passing offense and Fitz likes the run.

Reactions: ricko654321

Is Chryst even a D guy?

What kind of reputation does Fitz have among his peers? Is he respected enough that someone like Chryst would want to come work for him? I doubt it

Really nice, fact-free, post disparaging Fitz over something about which you're totally clueless.

I've heard Big Ten head coaches spend several minutes at the B1G kickoff luncheon praising the job Fitz has done at NU while addressing fans upset about losing to NU. A former B1G Coach of the Year, he's considered to be one of the best coaches in the country.

Really nice, fact-free, post disparaging Fitz over something about which you're totally clueless.

I've heard Big Ten head coaches spend several minutes at the B1G kickoff luncheon praising the job Fitz has done at NU while addressing fans upset about losing to NU. A former B1G Coach of the Year, he's considered to be one of the best coaches in the country.
Have you watched our team since the 2020 season ended?

This is Dark Ages-level football. Now that Hankwitz is gone, I highly doubt many educated football minds consider him to be a “top football coach”. He and the team look lost out there.

Giving Chryst a 7 figure salary to be DC with full control of the defense would be the smartest thing we've done since hiring Hank.

I do think former HCs would be willing to take an OC/DC position if the terms were right (would have to be 7 figures though).

Chryst would probably command like 1.5-2 million per year as a coordinator. Same for Patterson.

If I had to choose between Pat Fitzgerald and Nick Saban as the guardian of my kids, before they turn 21, I am 100% Fitzgerald. For you theatre majors, that means ZERO percent Saban.

#1 factor is the integrity of the man. Anybody can cheat.

Fwiw, If Chryst spelled his name a little differently, I'd take him over Fitz.

Have you watched our team since the 2020 season ended?

This is Dark Ages-level football. Now that Hankwitz is gone, I highly doubt many educated football minds consider him to be a “top football coach”. He and the team look lost out there.

Parts of several games. Still haven't seen last year's Nebraska and Illinois games or our last game against UW. Tell me all about Dark Ages-level football. Yes, NU football is playing horrible football right now.

I highly doubt you're correct about his coaching reputation. We'll see how good a coach he is in the next few years. My money is on Fitz to get this turned around. Hankwitz would struggle with the talent in our front seven.

Reactions: eastbaycat99
Parts of several games. Still haven't seen last year's Nebraska and Illinois games or our last game against UW. Tell me all about Dark Ages-level football. Yes, NU football is playing horrible football right now.

I highly doubt you're correct about his coaching reputation. We'll see how good a coach he is in the next few years. My money is on Fitz to get this turned around. Hankwitz would struggle with the talent in our front seven.
My money is on Fitz realizing he’s better suited to bullshit on TV soon. Or buying an island to golf on. His offensive philosophy is decades old, we have no special teams, and our defense is an absolute joke. He is not a good football coach right now.

Our football team is having the worst stretch of football since the 1980, which was a part of the dark ages. Please, prove that statement incorrect.

You are what your record says you are. We are a 4-14 team over the past 18 games with some pathetic wins and a lot of pathetic losses. Until he proves otherwise: Fitz is a losing coach without Hankwitz, period.

1989 was pretty bad. Fair enough, though. We'll see what Fitz is made of as a coach. Walker seemed to love these challenges. Walker didn't coach in the NIL era, though, but he could find good under-the radar talent and good QBs. You know that.

Dark Ages teams didn't have such soft OOC schedules back in the day. The 1974 schedule featured the 1973 National champion, the 1972 National champion, and Oregon.

I think Hank was an excellent DC, but you realize, using that logic, that I could make the same argument about McCall.

Reactions: drewjin
Jeez louise. Look above. Chryst has never coached OL in his career. He’s coached plenty of QB and TE.

Did anyone see how good Mertz was against us after his firing? Why do we want Chryst again?

Mertz looked like a 1st team All-B1G b/c he faced a JON led D (reminiscent of how avg QBs would have career games against the Colby cheese D).

Once the purple pumpkin and JON "the fairy godmother to opposing QBs" departed, Mertz turned back into his old self.

Giving Chryst a 7 figure salary to be DC with full control of the defense would be the smartest thing we've done since hiring Hank.
I am no defender of JON, but how in the world could it possibly be the "smartest thing" to give a life-long offensive coach a seven-figure salary to take over full control of our defense?

I am no defender of JON, but how in the world could it possibly be the "smartest thing" to give a life-long offensive coach a seven-figure salary to take over full control of our defense?
Because our fanbase is either too indifferent or numb to know the difference between offense and defense these days.

I can’t blame them. Defenses are supposed to stop the other teams from scoring, and our offense is supposed to score as many points as possible.

We’ve done the opposite for the past 2 seasons… so our fans’ confusion is understandable.

I can’t blame them. Defenses are supposed to stop the other teams from scoring, and our offense is supposed to score as many points as possible.

We’ve done the opposite for the past 2 seasons… so our fans’ confusion is understandable.
You have a valid point there, unfortunately.

Not real NU fans. Just trolls.

One of the best coaches in the country would mean he easily walks into a top tier job if he leaves NU. Do you think that would be the case?

One of the best coaches in the country would mean he easily walks into a top tier job if he leaves NU. Do you think that would be the case?

I'd say not as easily now under these circumstances. People will want to see how he corrects this situation. However, he has a body of work that is impressive for a school like NU such that the NFL has inquired in the past.

How would you know how he's regarded in the league anyway? Do you have good evidence that coaches are ripping Fitz or would refuse to work for him?

Or are these just your feelings.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
I'd say not as easily now under these circumstances. People will want to see how he corrects this situation. However, he has a body of work that is impressive for a school like NU such that the NFL has inquired in the past.

How would you know how he's regarded in the league anyway? Do you have good evidence that coaches are ripping Fitz or would refuse to work for him?

Or are these just your feelings.
Given that other coaches keep beating us or blowing us out regularly, I think they like Fitz a lot.

Predictable boring offense and a broken defense, plus no threat from our special teams - ever. We’re a pleasure for them to play.

Given that other coaches keep beating us or blowing us out regularly, I think they like Fitz a lot.

Predictable boring offense and a broken defense, plus no threat from our special teams - ever. We’re a pleasure for them to play.
Only recently. Well, the boring offense was there for awhile, but it complemented our previously stout defense.

Who recruited that "talent"???

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT