ADVERTISEMENT

Home attendance record?

I was at the game. There was a lot (too much) of orange fans at AA. Getting out of the east lot after the game was a serious hassle too- it took us a half hour to get onto Manheim. There were still a lot of empty seats though in the sections behind the baskets and the upper level. I really had a great time at the game with two of my buddies- one was an Illini fan. I thought the game was sloppy on both ends. Why is Bryant making so many turnovers throughout and scarily at the end of games? This is alarming and not his typical self. I can tell you though- if the Cats can limit or eliminate the turnovers and bad shots, we can really be a great team this year. We came out of halftime looking like a Sweet 16 team- what will it take to sustain the sharpness on both ends? Our d is getting better- that is a good omen too.

I was at the game. There was a lot (too much) of orange fans at AA. Getting out of the east lot after the game was a serious hassle too- it took us a half hour to get onto Manheim. There were still a lot of empty seats though in the sections behind the baskets and the upper level. I really had a great time at the game with two of my buddies- one was an Illini fan. I thought the game was sloppy on both ends. Why is Bryant making so many turnovers throughout and scarily at the end of games? This is alarming and not his typical self. I can tell you though- if the Cats can limit or eliminate the turnovers and bad shots, we can really be a great team this year. We came out of halftime looking like a Sweet 16 team- what will it take to sustain the sharpness on both ends? Our d is getting better- that is a good omen too.

To your point re: parking; in my experience I have found the better way to park at Allstate is to use the East side lot. (Thank you, Turk) Get off the outbound I90 at Lee Street, turn Right, and you're there. Exiting the lot from there will take a while, but it shouldn't take half an hour. The only problem is that the traffic cops won't let you turn off at Lunt, so you'll have to go north to Touhy.

And yeah, there was a lot of orange there last night, too. Looked like about 35 to 40 percent by the eye test. (Which SHOULD go down at the new Welsh-Ryan if our STH's don't sell out to them, and if the 6 season ticket per customer rule has its desired effect.) They looked more numerous than their numbers would suggest (warm colors advance; cool colors recede). And they sounded that way, too, thanks to the ample supply of beer in the concourse. Although they did get rather quiet during the overtime. I sat next to a couple of orangemen who were pretty cool, though. We all agreed that the early officiating made the game borderline unwatchable.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
they will also likely set the total season record as well. Then next season they will set the record for the lowest season attendance, set when they played in old Patton Gym.
First off, Patten gym. Second, if you actually went to the game yesterday, you would have instantly realized why a big arena does not work for NU. Place was packed with IL fans because tickets were cheap and available. If we ever want an arena full of actual NU fans, smaller is our best chance.

Gee whiz, Willy. This seating thing really seems to bother you.
it does since I really feel that NU is sinking a lot of money into what's going to be the smallest gym in the Big Ten. I feel that's a big mistake, if CC makes a perennial conference contender and NCAA participant. We will see what happens when NU plays a top ranked, non conference opponent at the new small W-R and the demand for seats far exceeds the availability.

Reactions: julescat
Last time I checked, Northwestern was the smallest school in the Big Ten. Not to mention, the smallest fan base. And for those Cat fans who really want to get in to WR to see those marquee matchups, they will succeed. Casual fans, not so much.

To your point re: parking; in my experience I have found the better way to park at Allstate is to use the East side lot. (Thank you, Turk) Get off the outbound I90 at Lee Street, turn Right, and you're there. Exiting the lot from there will take a while, but it shouldn't take half an hour. The only problem is that the traffic cops won't let you turn off at Lunt, so you'll have to go north to Touhy.

And yeah, there was a lot of orange there last night, too. Looked like about 35 to 40 percent by the eye test. (Which SHOULD go down at the new Welsh-Ryan if our STH's don't sell out to them, and if the 6 season ticket per customer rule has its desired effect.) They looked more numerous than their numbers would suggest (warm colors advance; cool colors recede). And they sounded that way, too, thanks to the ample supply of beer in the concourse. Although they did get rather quiet during the overtime. I sat next to a couple of orangemen who were pretty cool, though. We all agreed that the early officiating made the game borderline unwatchable.

You think it was 40? Honestly, I thought it was a lot more, like 60-70%, though your point about colors is well taken. Regardless, last night was Exhibit A for reducing capacity in W-R.

it does since I really feel that NU is sinking a lot of money into what's going to be the smallest gym in the Big Ten. I feel that's a big mistake, if CC makes a perennial conference contender and NCAA participant. We will see what happens when NU plays a top ranked, non conference opponent at the new small W-R and the demand for seats far exceeds the availability.

I appreciate your frustration. But there’s nothing you can do about it, short of either winning the lottery and donating it to NU or setting off some dynamite in WR.

You think it was 40? Honestly, I thought it was a lot more, like 60-70%, though your point about colors is well taken. Regardless, last night was Exhibit A for reducing capacity in W-R.
Not reducing necessarily but not trying to get to a 10-15k arena for sure

Still seems to be too small. 8K ok but 7 is tough
Ten K would probably be ideal. If NU with 8,00 undergrads, alums and Chicago basketball fans can't fill a 10,000 seat arena, maybe they should try hockey instead.

Ten K would probably be ideal. If NU with 8,00 undergrads, alums and Chicago basketball fans can't fill a 10,000 seat arena, maybe they should try hockey instead.
And we’ve never consistently filled a 10,000 seat arena...

(Please do not come back with stories of the halcyon days of 1959.)

I hear ya! I think we need to rethink our final two minutes of each game. One on one with Mac? Come on? He has five friggen turnovers in the last two games in the final few minutes. Distribute the balll.

Did anyone see Underwood’s post game presser where he basically said “Rivalry? How many empty seats were there? I don’t know anything about a rivalry, I haven’t been here”. He then proceeded to call the Illini fans the best fans in the nation.

Keep the small arena and we will show him a full arena with great fans wearing purple.

Demand for seats exceeding availability definitely falls into the "good problem to have" category.

Dude, come on. History shows they can’t. Just stop it.

Demand for seats exceeding availability definitely falls into the "good problem to have" category.
Well then during the next rebuild they can reduce the seating to 5,000 and if that doesn't work, then cut it back to 2,000. Pretty soon you won't have only the smallest arena in the Big Ten but the smallest in Div.I. Still say they will regret the downsizing, if Collins stays and NU becomes an yearly conference and NCAA championship contender

Well then don't say never.
I'm pretty comfortable with my never, given the only examples you've ever given involved once in a lifetime opponents/circumstances. I'm thinking we didn't have 10,000 in the seats for those season opening Western Michigan games.

I'm pretty comfortable with my never, given the only examples you've ever given involved once in a lifetime opponents/circumstances. I'm thinking we didn't have 10,000 in the seats for those season opening Western Michigan games.
No but I'd bet their were more then 6,000 fannies in those bleachers.

NU fans were not outnumbered.

The I_L_L...I_N_I chants overpowered the GO U NU chants. Kind of sad. There are probably by percentage 15 to 1 Illini grads to NU grads in the chicagoland area. So this abundance of orange at AA wasn't altogether shocking. Especially since their high hopes that the basketball team will somehow be relevant this year/unlike football seem to be steeping them in Illini fandom stupor. Their bball team is better than their football team, but we are still dominant in each sport.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT