ADVERTISEMENT

Hopefully in the new practice facility

That's interesting. Dirk used a german physicist to analyze his shot in the offseason. It was all about the degree of the release point.

NU shooters have excellent form compare to years past. I've not seen better form in a player than Taylor's. Vic's is excellent as well. And Falzon. AJ is solid.

I think Nance's is good, but if he cleans things up just a bit he'll be deadly. Kopp is very good. Greer too.

Gaines can be ok from distance but he thinks about his shot as he's taking it. Until he has the confidence to just let it go he'll have issues.

I think we have guys that are probably decent empty gym shooters, but in game situations, it looks like most of our 3 point shots are always rushed. Thus, their form suffers or they are not lined up properly or they don't get good leg action. I think a lot of our poor outside shooting still stems from the lack of ball handlers and lack of a decent offensive plan. The defense doesn't respect our ability to get to the rim and so they guard the 3 point line. Thus, our guys have to rush their shots to get them off.

I think we have guys that are probably decent empty gym shooters, but in game situations, it looks like most of our 3 point shots are always rushed. Thus, their form suffers or they are not lined up properly or they don't get good leg action. I think a lot of our poor outside shooting still stems from the lack of ball handlers and lack of a decent offensive plan. The defense doesn't respect our ability to get to the rim and so they guard the 3 point line. Thus, our guys have to rush their shots to get them off.

I think you're 100% correct

The shots of both Kopp and Nance screamed freshmen to me. And wasn't so much their 3s. I'd love to see a shot chart.

Both were able to get to the lane relatively easily - especially Nance. And Nance also easily rose above the opposition.

But then both of them repeatedly clanked that little 10 foot jumper. You could tell it was because they were too tight. It happened too often.

Shape up that mid-range game and pray for more consistency from 3, and we've got a couple players.

Reactions: Medill90
We missed a whole lot of open 3's this year too.

Confidence of the whole team seemed to die after the close losses to IU and UM. They gotta believe. Maybe they can borrow the football mantra stick, TRUST YOURSELF.

Confidence of the whole team seemed to die after the close losses to IU and UM. They gotta believe. Maybe they can borrow the football mantra stick, TRUST YOURSELF.
This makes no sense. Close losses to ranked teams destroyed confidence? I would have thought it would boost confidence. Not like they lost to Akron and Duke.

;)

This makes no sense. Close losses to ranked teams destroyed confidence? I would have thought it would boost confidence. Not like they lost to Akron and Duke.

;)
What is the psychological impact of giving everything you've got only to find out it's not good enough?

The results following those games would seem to be evidence to the contrary.

What doomed us, imo, was Law's knee tendinitis. He wss never the same player after that.

What doomed us, imo, was Law's knee tendinitis. He wss never the same player after that.

What doomed us was:
  1. Lack of a distributor and backup distributor,
  2. Two transfers not living up to expectations
  3. Putting such a load on Laws shoulders
  4. Not getting Pardon enough touches

What doomed us was:
  1. Lack of a distributor and backup distributor,
  2. Two transfers not living up to expectations
  3. Putting such a load on Laws shoulders
  4. Not getting Pardon enough touches

So Law's knee injury had nothing to do with it? He hurt it the second half of the Iowa game, didn't play at Michigan, and was never the same player after that. You don't think that not having our best offensive and defensive player at full strength was impactful?

And the Pardon thing is a myth, imo. He had a ton of touches, but team knew where we were going and would double and triple-team him. Being as unselfish as he was, he kicked it out time and time again, only to have players miss open shots time and time again. If you want to rank them in order, I think Law getting hurt certainly ranks above your number 4, and I think the load on Law would have been fine if it wasn't for his injury; plenty of teams put a ton of a load on their star player, and their star player usually responds. Your top two are fine, but I think I might rank the Law injury as high as #2, he was that important to our team. When he could not get the life off that knee in January and February, our season was over...

So Law's knee injury had nothing to do with it? He hurt it the second half of the Iowa game, didn't play at Michigan, and was never the same player after that. You don't think that not having our best offensive and defensive player at full strength was impactful?

And the Pardon thing is a myth, imo. He had a ton of touches, but team knew where we were going and would double and triple-team him. Being as unselfish as he was, he kicked it out time and time again, only to have players miss open shots time and time again. If you want to rank them in order, I think Law getting hurt certainly ranks above your number 4, and I think the load on Law would have been fine if it wasn't for his injury; plenty of teams put a ton of a load on their star player, and their star player usually responds. Your top two are fine, but I think I might rank the Law injury as high as #2, he was that important to our team. When he could not get the life off that knee in January and February, our season was over...

Your right, but for the Law knee thing, we would be dancing. Btw, how did that OOC result look? Meh, doesn’t matter. How about the first x games in the B1G? Meh, overrated.

But for Laws knee, we would have dominated the BTT and earned another trip to the Dance and the NIT, because we would have been that good. Damn knee.

Your right, but for the Law knee thing, we would be dancing. Btw, how did that OOC result look? Meh, doesn’t matter. How about the first x games in the B1G? Meh, overrated.

But for Laws knee, we would have dominated the BTT and earned another trip to the Dance and the NIT, because we would have been that good. Damn knee.

No, of course we would not have dominate the BIG. However, the second half of our BIG season was a far easier schedule than our first half. We had a number of close, winnable games in the second half of the season where a healthier Law could have put us over the top. And remember, we needed only to be 8-12 or so to be in the Dance discussion....And that BTT OT loss would have most certainly been a win with Law. So yes, we would have certainly been significantly better than 4-16 with zero BTT wins with a healthier Law. Whether it would have been enough to make the Dance or not, we'll never know, but it certainly would have been good enough to make the NIT (our KenPom of 71 was actually better than last years 84 and higher than Tempte and St. John's which were Dance teams, so we would have been a lock for the NIT with a winning record).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT