ADVERTISEMENT

How many fans will NU have in Indy?

NJcatsfan

Nov 21, 2004
So we all know that NU sold out its 10,000 allotment within two days, with demand being so high that non-STH's were shut out entirely from that pool of tickets. We also know that 3,500 students have signed up for the (incredible) free ticket/transportation/food package. Knowing our students, let's assume we lose 500 of them to attrition. That's 13,000 guaranteed fans in purple -- which would probably already be the biggest contingent I've ever seen outside of Ryan Field (I wasn't around for '95/'96). A number of our Fitz-era bowl games have had 11-12k, but not much higher than that.

The big Q is how many NU fans who don't have season tickets and aren't current undergrads are buying seats through the secondary market? I'd guess a few thousand, at least, right? Demand was really strong, apparently.

So, should the over/under be 15,000? Predictions?

In the past, when OSU plays in Indy, it's been about 70-75% OSU fans. Lucas Oil holds 70,000. I would think it would be over 15,000 for NW. It's not a bad drive in from Chicago like it would be for Nebraska, Minnesota, or Wisconsin.

Reactions: rmndcat
So we all know that NU sold out its 10,000 allotment within two days, with demand being so high that non-STH's were shut out entirely from that pool of tickets. We also know that 3,500 students have signed up for the (incredible) free ticket/transportation/food package. Knowing our students, let's assume we lose 500 of them to attrition. That's 13,000 guaranteed fans in purple -- which would probably already be the biggest contingent I've ever seen outside of Ryan Field (I wasn't around for '95/'96). A number of our Fitz-era bowl games have had 11-12k, but not much higher than that.

The big Q is how many NU fans who don't have season tickets and aren't current undergrads are buying seats through the secondary market? I'd guess a few thousand, at least, right? Demand was really strong, apparently.

We better have over 20,000 there. This is bigger than any of the bowl games we have played since '95 - certainly the biggest game we have played in years. I am hoping for 30,000+, but will not be disturbed if we have around 25,000.

We better have over 20,000 there. This is bigger than any of the bowl games we have played since '95 - certainly the biggest game we have played in years. I am hoping for 30,000+, but will not be disturbed if we have around 25,000.

Agreed. It's a short drive from Chicago, it's a "first" like the NCAA Tournament, NU has had it locked up for weeks, and it's not during an ultra-busy holiday travel weekend. Making plans to get to Indy was very easy.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
There's no way in hell 3000 students show up. They'll sign up for free anything, but giving up their entire Saturday to ride a long bus to Indy for a team they don't care about? Cmon, man.

There's no way in hell 3000 students show up. They'll sign up for free anything, but giving up their entire Saturday to ride a long bus to Indy for a team they don't care about? Cmon, man.

I agree - 3,000 is a LOT.

I understand this fear and think that they should have some alternative for those who want to bus stand by. It just makes sense to encourage last minute riders to gather some where to top off the busses.

Capacity is 67,000. I hope with he head start NU has at least 30,000. Less would really be a shame.

Capacity is 67,000. I hope with he head start NU has at least 30,000. Less would really be a shame.
It will be less. Many of us (OSU fans), renew our tickets each year. If you bought them previously through the B1G, they give the opportunity to purchase the same seats in February. OSU fans are also very willing to pay premium secondary prices. If it seats 67,000 for football games, there will be at least 40k OSU fans. Even in 2015, when it was Iowa v MSU, it was about 45% Iowa fans, 45% MSU fans, and 10% OSU fans rocking scarlet and grey.

Wish there was some way to count far flung alums, like me in Montana, who will catch the game at a TV watch party. Show the football world that although we don't hear nearly as many alums as other Big 10 schools, we're a national university with a following just about everywhere.

NU fans had weeks with two game advance notice planning. While we may feel rushed into this Championship Game, time was on our side.

Imagine what it would be like if it came down to the IL game.

Those of us flying would really have to weigh the higher price air fare in this week of the game. The advance notice for us was a no brainer with lower fares.
However coming from afar, like many others, we’re not STH, we had to go out on the secondary market for the tix.

Even those traveling from nearby, say Chicago, would still be a rush decision from hotel to tickets thru NU, even if STH. Can’t even fathom the the NU ticket office getting out the info then processing the orders within less than a week. Reading the other posts from the time of those just placing their order for their 4 tix, to just now getting tickets now.

In less than a week:

Would NU be able to obtain the donor, then pull off the 4,000 students/58 bus convoy to Indy?

NAA would have to find a set up for the N Zone.

FA would have to organize, arrange, collect funds for the Purple Party.

With the available time for planning, expect more than +30,000 in Purple attendance.

It will be less. Many of us (OSU fans), renew our tickets each year. If you bought them previously through the B1G, they give the opportunity to purchase the same seats in February. OSU fans are also very willing to pay premium secondary prices. If it seats 67,000 for football games, there will be at least 40k OSU fans. Even in 2015, when it was Iowa v MSU, it was about 45% Iowa fans, 45% MSU fans, and 10% OSU fans rocking scarlet and grey.

10% is a bit of a stretch. I was at that game and I noticed a couple hundred OSU fans (which is amazing for not being a rep of the east) but no way were there 6k OSU fans at that game. I call shenanigans.

Agreed. It's a short drive from Chicago, it's a "first" like the NCAA Tournament, NU has had it locked up for weeks, and it's not during an ultra-busy holiday travel weekend. Making plans to get to Indy was very easy.
We have less alumni than 13 of 14 B1G schools in Chicago. I think the turnout will be outstanding, but people I know are coming from all over. Cali, Texas, Tennessee, NY, Florida.

We have less alumni than 13 of 14 B1G schools in Chicago. I think the turnout will be outstanding, but people I know are coming from all over. Cali, Texas, Tennessee, NY, Florida.
I think we have more alumni in Chicago now than Maryland, Rutgers, and Penn State. Though I'm not sure.

10% is a bit of a stretch. I was at that game and I noticed a couple hundred OSU fans (which is amazing for not being a rep of the east) but no way were there 6k OSU fans at that game. I call shenanigans.
Ok ok lol it was probably 2-3k. Which is still silly. I was there as well, though didn’t feel it necessary to wear an OSU jersey. My point stands. that many OSU fans have their tickets early and just assume the team will be playing in Indy lol

Given the high price of air transportation out of Montana, I have to keep my powder dry, so to speak. I did not attend the Rose Bowl on January 1, 1996; watched on TV. And I'm just a shade too young (thank God) to have attended the January 1, 1949, Rose Bowl, although my room in Elder Hall my freshmen year at NU was next door to someone with a direct connection to that game. That was the son of Alex Sarkisian, co-captain of the 1948 team.

This year? If the Cats punch the ticket to Pasadena, my wife, my son, his girlfriend (whose primary allegiance is to Montana State University - go Bobcats! Take down North Dakota State on Saturday) will be there. For us, the most reasonable travel option will be to drive to Salt Lake City and catch Southwest Airlines to Southern California. No such thing as real discount airline options in the Treasure State.

Reactions: NU Houston
Ok ok lol it was probably 2-3k. Which is still silly. I was there as well, though didn’t feel it necessary to wear an OSU jersey. My point stands. that many OSU fans have their tickets early and just assume the team will be playing in Indy lol
Wait, what happened to 10% rocking scarlet and grey?

20,000 solid NU fans. Toss in another 10,000+ people who are not fans of OSU or NU but just going to the game. Most of those would rather see an upset because it is more fun.

20,000 solid NU fans. Toss in another 10,000+ people who are not fans of OSU or NU but just going to the game. Most of those would rather see an upset because it is more fun.
Highly doubt 1/6 of the crowd will be indifferent in rooting interest. It's not a super bowl where it's a fairly corporate crowd. I expect very few non-OSU/NW fans.

The whole country will be rooting for us. It will be a great win for our program. Go Cats!

Yeah, I'm going. Figure we won't be going to many, it's close by, and I don't have plans.

I understand that. I’m one of those coming in from NY. But I’m flying into Chicago because it’s easy, cheaper and can pick up some other fans and make a short roadtrip out of it.

Exactly. Nobody watches Rocky and roots for Apollo Creed.

Exactly. Nobody watches Rocky and roots for Apollo Creed.
Some posters don't seem to understand that. That is an important distinction, if we are going to approach the question, i.e., how many NU fans will be there?

If "NU fans" mean diehard fans who have rooted for NU more than 1 year then I think the answer is somewhere south of 20,000. But there will be thousands of fans there who will love to see the game. Same thing in any sport. I don't follow anyone but NU in college basketball, but if there was a March Madness game here, I'd love to go.

I think the "NU fans" could easily approach 30,000 if "NU fan" simply means that someone is hoping for NU to win. And, in this case, it could also mean fans who just hate OSU and want to see an upset. Ticket prices are dropping. A ticket can be had now for $40.

So you were rocking for U of I! Sounds like a real smart thing to do but totally expected from OSU crowd.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT