ADVERTISEMENT

How many transfers really make it

T_Levine

May 26, 2010
There are a bunch of threads here talking about this 4* or 5* who is transferring. But just because they are highly ranked in high school, have they performed at their current school? What makes you think a change of scenery will make them a superstar?

I think we should ask this question before running after a transfer.

Even the duke's etc of the world misjudge high school talent.

There are a bunch of threads here talking about this 4* or 5* who is transferring. But just because they are highly ranked in high school, have they performed at their current school? What makes you think a change of scenery will make them a superstar?

Well, with transfers, you generally also have college tape and stats to work with. So, I'd assume that a transfer is actually less risky than a HS recruit where you are going off HS team or AAU tape and stats. You should know better what you're getting with a transfer.

Transfers can have several advantages. Generally they have had time to physically develop and have learned what it takes to do both jobs. Plus it is a commitment for a shorter time. Plus much more is known about them. I am sure the staff would delve deep into them before going after one. A lot probably has to do with why they are transferring

Transfers can have several advantages. Generally they have had time to physically develop and have learned what it takes to do both jobs. Plus it is a commitment for a shorter time. Plus much more is known about them. I am sure the staff would delve deep into them before going after one. A lot probably has to do with why they are transferring

Headhunter. Off topic. What areas do you specialize in with your professional career? Any specific cities/regions?

Thx

Headhunter. Off topic. What areas do you specialize in with your professional career? Any specific cities/regions?

Thx
Engineering and I have recruited for different areas concentrating on solving problems for companies. It has been at different times for electrical, mechanical, chemical, civil, and more. In electrical for example, it can be controls, automation, power distribution or more. Mechanical, manufacturing, design, project, etc. I am in the Chicago area so that is often a focus but last guys I placed were NC, Mich, Wis, etc.

I'd say for NU Doyle and Swopshire made a positive impact. The others, not so much, either due to injury or illness (Lambiotte, Thompson, van Zegeren) or just weren't very good (Okrezsik, Cote, Kreisberg).

Lambiotte was great for us. He was the best player on our team each year he was here (though that bar wasn't very high). He made All-Big 10. He probably did not live up to his potential due to injury (he was Freshman POY in the ACC), but he was definitely great for us.

I'd say for NU Doyle and Swopshire made a positive impact. The others, not so much, either due to injury or illness (Lambiotte, Thompson, van Zegeren) or just weren't very good (Okrezsik, Cote, Kreisberg).
Sometimes they contribute just by being a good body to practice against.

just weren't very good (Okrezsik, Cote, Kreisberg).
I don't know why Cote wasn't more productive, but one would have to think that as a Kentucky recruit (probably with a lot of notable offers) he had some significant basketball skills. He only played one season at NU, opting to leave after getting his degree, foregoing his last year of eligibility. Perhaps, in his only season he didn't fully grasp the Princeton O, and potentially would have done much better in his second season, when perhaps he would have fully absorbed the O.

Last edited:

You watched the gonzaga game right? Two of their starters were transfers. Seems much less risky to me than a high school kid - if they don't pan out you only have them for 2 or 3 years vs 4 or 5 for a recruit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT