ADVERTISEMENT

How will minutes be divided up this year?

I will play:

Bmac 25
Lindsey 25
Law 20
Skelly 15
Pardon 20

Gaines 20
Brown either 10

Rap 17.5
Falzon 17.5

Benson 15

Yes, Ash will play, but so will mal and hall. Injuries and game situations will cause adjustments. This is what I would expect on average to begin the season.

I will play:

Bmac 25
Lindsey 25
Law 20
Skelly 15
Pardon 20

Gaines 20
Brown either 10

Rap 17.5
Falzon 17.5

Benson 15

Yes, Ash will play, but so will mal and hall. Injuries and game situations will cause adjustments. This is what I would expect on average to begin the season.
Less Rap, more Falzon.

Pardon 23
Benson 13
Skelly 15
Falzon 20
Rap 9
Law 28
Gaines 18
Lindsey 28
Bmac 28
Brown 14
Ash 5

Pardon 23
Benson 13
Skelly 15
Falzon 20
Rap 9
Law 28
Gaines 18
Lindsey 28
Bmac 28
Brown 14
Ash 5
Zero chance BMac plays less than 30 this season. He'll get a couple of breaks each half for a couple of minutes at a time and average 32 a game. Same with Scottie and Vic. CCC likes to ride the winning horses and these are his 3 best players.

Zero chance BMac plays less than 30 this season. He'll get a couple of breaks each half for a couple of minutes at a time and average 32 a game. Same with Scottie and Vic. CCC likes to ride the winning horses and these are his 3 best players.

I can't see Gaines getting close to 20 barring injuries. Hopefully no injuries! In tight games, have to expect that CCC will ride his vets well into the 30-35 min range.

I can't see Gaines getting close to 20 barring injuries. Hopefully no injuries! In tight games, have to expect that CCC will ride his vets well into the 30-35 min range.
BMac 33
Vic 30
Scottie 28
Gaines 15
Brown 9
Ash 4
Tino / Charlie 1

Pardon 24
Skelly 18
Falzon 15
Rap 12
Benson 11

BMac 33
Vic 30
Scottie 28
Gaines 15
Brown 9
Ash 4
Tino / Charlie 1

Pardon 24
Skelly 18
Falzon 15
Rap 12
Benson 11

This looks about right to me. I definitely like Skelly and see him contributing in a big way, but I would hope to see one of Falzon, Rap, or Benson step up their game and challenge him for minutes. Or, to put it another way, I'm hoping that Skelly can continue to be a spark off the bench and that either Falzon or Rap elevate their game enough to be a difference making starter. For me, that's not asking Falzon to be much more of a player than he was as a frosh. I was excited about him then, and still really like his potential, along with Rap's, at the 4. But, if Skelly is outplaying them in practice and in games, he should start and get the minutes. The luxury of having depth!

The emergence of Gaines (per reports) is really quite exciting. We didn't have a true Wing to come off the bench last season, and it was noticeable at times. If he can contribute 15 quality minutes, and the drop off from he starters is reduced, look out! This team will just keep coming at you.

I'm worried about my expectations being too high... gotta remember how good the B1G is and how easily things could have gone differently last season. But, could have been even better if not for an injury and illness. Purple Haze, all in my brain.

This looks about right to me. I definitely like Skelly and see him contributing in a big way, but I would hope to see one of Falzon, Rap, or Benson step up their game and challenge him for minutes. Or, to put it another way, I'm hoping that Skelly can continue to be a spark off the bench and that either Falzon or Rap elevate their game enough to be a difference making starter. For me, that's not asking Falzon to be much more of a player than he was as a frosh. I was excited about him then, and still really like his potential, along with Rap's, at the 4. But, if Skelly is outplaying them in practice and in games, he should start and get the minutes. The luxury of having depth!

The emergence of Gaines (per reports) is really quite exciting. We didn't have a true Wing to come off the bench last season, and it was noticeable at times. If he can contribute 15 quality minutes, and the drop off from he starters is reduced, look out! This team will just keep coming at you.

I'm worried about my expectations being too high... gotta remember how good the B1G is and how easily things could have gone differently last season. But, could have been even better if not for an injury and illness. Purple Haze, all in my brain.
Totally agree that the potential emergence of Gaines is big. That gives us solidly competitive depth at basically every position, if you view him as the primary backup to Vic and Scottie at the 2/3. The 4 is still a work in progress, but looks like a sort of platoon between Skelly Falzon and Rap.

Last year before the season, I thought Scottie Lindsey was the key to success. I believed he had the most skilled offensive game on the team. I will go out on a limb and say that success this year lies in the contributions of Skelly.

Last year before the season, I thought Scottie Lindsey was the key to success. I believed he had the most skilled offensive game on the team. I will go out on a limb and say that success this year lies in the contributions of Skelly.

If it were a "all things being equal" comparison between the need for Lindsey to emerge last year and Skelly to emerge this year, I'd be quite a bit worried for this season. That is not a knock on Skelly, but it is just asking a lot for a fourth year player to make major steps in their game from years 2 & 3. However, the good news for this year is that there are alternatives at the 4 (or even small ball lineups) in the event that Skelly doesn't emerge and contribute as you hope. Last season, if Lindsey didn't emerge, there wasn't much in the way of alternatives at the Wing position. As it currently stands, there are numerous lineup combinations CCC can experiment with and determine which ones are effective.

BMac 33
Vic 30
Scottie 28
Gaines 15
Brown 9
Ash 4
Tino / Charlie 1

Pardon 24
Skelly 18
Falzon 15
Rap 12
Benson 11

Looks pretty good to me with a few exceptions. I think you're light on Lindsey. More likely he is with Law and B-Mac in the 30 or more category. Pardon better play more than an average of 24. 28-30 sounds more ideal. We may need him on the floor even more than that against the better competition. The Skelly/Falzon split looks about right on a relative basis if Falzon plays anywhere near to what he showed flashes of 2 years ago. But I would add Rap's minutes to their columns. Based on what I saw last Friday night, the option of going 3 guard with Gaines on the floor is much more appealing to me than Rap playing meaningful minutes. A B-Mac. Lindsey, Gaines, Law and Pardon lineup would be relatively short on height and bulk, but long on defense, rebounding and offensive punch against all but the most physical lineups we will face.

GOUNUII

Reactions: ricko654321
If it were a "all things being equal" comparison between the need for Lindsey to emerge last year and Skelly to emerge this year, I'd be quite a bit worried for this season. That is not a knock on Skelly, but it is just asking a lot for a fourth year player to make major steps in their game from years 2 & 3. However, the good news for this year is that there are alternatives at the 4 (or even small ball lineups) in the event that Skelly doesn't emerge and contribute as you hope. Last season, if Lindsey didn't emerge, there wasn't much in the way of alternatives at the Wing position. As it currently stands, there are numerous lineup combinations CCC can experiment with and determine which ones are effective.

In most cases, I would agree with you scru. But in Skelly's case, all he has to do is get better on the mental side of the game. The physical tools and skills are there for him to make a significant contribution this year. Maybe the light will come on for him, and he will more consistently have his head in the game. Is he wired in such a way that it will never happen? I don't know. But the guy can be good, sometimes very good, when he's playing with his head screwed on straight. So in his case, I remain hopeful.

GOUNUII

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT