ADVERTISEMENT

Hunter Johnson QB Battle

NU Line

Dec 20, 2018
I hope Fitz is playing coy and that Hunter Johnson has already been internally named as the starter but I am more concerned after watching the BTN preview today that he continues to play his cards close to the vest internally as well. This hope is not based on Hunter's laurels out of high school but based on his athleticism and potential.

It appears that the knock on Hunter is that he doesn't feel comfortable with the offense. In my opinion, this is corrected by giving him more reps so that he can gain familiarity and confidence and not by prolonging the competition. Per the show today, it as announced that all 5 QBs were sharing reps until 2 weeks ago when Hunter and TJ started to separate and get a larger share of the reps. Of course Hunter doesn't feel comfortable in the offense yet as he has had such limited reps.

Whoever the starting QB is, I hope they get the vast majority of the game week reps and I really hope its Hunter as he gives the team greater upside.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Nothing from BTN today has changed my mind. I believe Hunter will start at Stanford. This QB battle by all accounts sounds healthy and is pushing both Hunter and T.J. to be better.

I do not expect that Fitz and McCall will sub out QBs every couple of possessions. That's just asinine. No "pitch counts" this time around.

If Hunter really struggles in the first half -- and I'm talking multiple turnovers -- then maybe they'll hand it off to T.J. to see if he can do any better. Shrug it off as first game jitters on Hunter's end and have him start again two weeks later against UNLV.

Even just looking at the limited throws from the two guys, the difference in talent/athleticism/arm strength is striking. Hunter looks like the QB of a division champion. T.J. is a steady backup who can fill in and play smart football in a pinch.

I am pretty convinced both will get a chance to play against Stanford. That may be the only game where a rotation happens. Some guys just play differently under the lights ( some better, some worse) and my guess is the competition will extend to this first game until one separates himself.

I am pretty convinced both will get a chance to play against Stanford. That may be the only game where a rotation happens. Some guys just play differently under the lights ( some better, some worse) and my guess is the competition will extend to this first game until one separates himself.
Well, a 1:00 kick-off won't be "under the lights"..........

Reactions: IGNORE
Under the lights? Isn't the Stanford game at 3pm CT? Which means 1pm PT.

Reactions: HappyNUyear

Asinine.

Give Hunter the start. Sub in Green if and only if Hunter is making poor decisions and/or turning the ball over. Otherwise let our QB1 of the future play. I am sure he is capable of at least going 12-for-24 for 105 yards like Clayton did in his first start.

Asinine.

Give Hunter the start. Sub in Green if and only if Hunter is making poor decisions and/or turning the ball over. Otherwise let our QB1 of the future play. I am sure he is capable of at least going 12-for-24 for 105 yards like Clayton did in his first start.

McCall coached Persa, Kafka, Siemian and Thorson. 3 of those guys were drafted by NFL teams and the other was better than all of them until he got injured. I trust he knows more about QBs than any of us on this board.

I said the coaches were stupid enough to do this way back in the winter. Nothing worse then having taken away reps from the most talented QB, with 5 qbs in the spring and now with Green.

But if they really are even, the coaches HAVE to play Johnson. Because HJ is our future and Green cannot be. Not just because he is a Senior but because he doesn’t have the talent.

Our offense is not complex, so either the coaches are already making excuses to play their favorite, or they are bracing everyone for the inevitable mistakes a young QB will make.

Either way, this secrecy is as stupid as not letting Lou report a 3rd string WR made a nice catch.

McCall coached Persa, Kafka, Siemian and Thorson. 3 of those guys were drafted by NFL teams and the other was better than all of them until he got injured. I trust he knows more about QBs than any of us on this board.

Too bad he doesn’t know about actually delivering a good offense.

I said the coaches were stupid enough to do this way back in the winter. Nothing worse then having taken away reps from the most talented QB, with 5 qbs in the spring and now with Green.

But if they really are even, the coaches HAVE to play Johnson. Because HJ is our future and Green cannot be. Not just because he is a Senior but because he doesn’t have the talent.

Our offense is not complex, so either the coaches are already making excuses to play their favorite, or they are bracing everyone for the inevitable mistakes a young QB will make.

Either way, this secrecy is as stupid as not letting Lou report a 3rd string WR made a nice catch.
The Greenstein column from a few days ago, which I haven’t seen linked here, said McCall’s offense is unusually complex. That was distressing, as it has not appeared to result in better offense. That’s the reason Teddy gave for why Green has the upper hand.

The Greenstein column from a few days ago, which I haven’t seen linked here, said McCall’s offense is unusually complex. That was distressing, as it has not appeared to result in better offense. That’s the reason Teddy gave for why Green has the upper hand.

Teddy never said Green had the "upper hand" to start. His take was that he should have every chance to compete for the starting role, in part because he has better feel for the playbook. Big difference, IMO, and what made it feel more like a smokescreen.

Reactions: mikewebb68
Teddy never said Green had the "upper hand" to start. His take was that he should have every chance to compete for the starting role, in part because he has better feel for the playbook. Big difference, IMO, and what made it feel more like a smokescreen.
Johnson has been in the offense for a year already, he’s not an incoming freshman.
You’re right, smokescreen.

Right, And who knows more about McCall than any of on this board.

Last edited:
Good point. To make my point more clearly, I understood him to say that Green has a clear advantage in knowledge and execution of an unusually complicated offensive system.

Asinine.

I think it’s more likely both get a shot in the first half to show what they can do unless the first guy really lights it up. I think DiNardo’s theory is what I envision happening.

Last edited:
How many of us were criticizing the staff for not having a backup prepared a few years ago? Now we're complaining about giving practice reps to two quarterbacks in week (-2)?

Bingo, what you are seeing on the board right now is just a manifestation of the in game hysteria/roller coaster of emotions typically exhibited by several posters on this board. They are in fine in season form already. Trust our coaches, they are very good at what they do.

I think it’s more likely both get a shot in the first half to show what they can do unless the first guy really lights it up. I think DiNardo’s theory is what I envision happening.

I am curious what you think the upside is of doing what you’re describing. Because I think it would only make both guys play tight and not clarify anything, especially if both are about equal. We should not be having a QB battle live against Stanford. Make a decision before that. Play your potentially program-changing transfer.

In my scenario, the upside is Hunter shines in Palo Alto and takes control of the starting job for the year. At worst, he’s taken out if he’s making poor reads and is given a couple of weeks to learn from those mistakes.

Reactions: Bwm57
Bingo, what you are seeing on the board right now is just a manifestation of the in game hysteria/roller coaster of emotions typically exhibited by several posters on this board. They are in fine in season form already. Trust our coaches, they are very good at what they do.
The first game day thread will be a $h*tshow if NU alternates QB’s.

I am the founder of the #FireMcCall movement. I think those three were drafted into the NFL despite playing in McCall's system. They didn't develop nearly as much as they could have under a different OC.

I am truly disappointed that there is any kind of QB battle. TJ Green looked absolutely lost last year when he subbed for Thorson. Hunter has spent a year in the system. A competent OC would find a way to fit the offense to a 5-star QB talent. Other schools find ways to start true freshmen. #FireMcCall

They are very good, but this is not their strong point. People aren't complaining that a backup is getting reps, they are complaining that a) 5 QBs split reps in an n the spring in a pretend competition and b) now they are 50/50 split in what would be a pretend competition if Hunter got the reps he needed. And now they act like he's not prepared enough for the offense, because others had to share reps.*

Tell me this, why the heck did we wait until Rutgers to play Bowser? Did he suddenly get "better" than Moten or Solo? By any objective evidence, Bowser had to be the best back when Larkin went down, but we slogged through several games with the upperclassmen doing nothing. So if Green starts 2 or 3 games because he is ready and then Hunter comes on like Bowser, then what? That's just a poor recognition or preparation of talent, IMO

*All of this presumes that Hunter is not Kyle Prater 2.0 and truly needs more time. But if he comes on in like game 6 and averages 400 yds/4 TDS a game hence, Fitz and Co are going to look foolish.

Reactions: IGNORE and mikero3
Sorry corbi, our offensive coaches are not good at what they do. Several times in the show, revsine et al repeatedly said this wasn’t a good offense. The stats certainly back this up. The coaches for the offense haven’t been good for quite some time (make an exception for RB coach).

Even the possibility that HJ is not the starter is insane.

I am truly disappointed that there is any kind of QB battle. TJ Green looked absolutely lost last year when he subbed for Thorson. Hunter has spent a year in the system. A competent OC would find a way to fit the offense to a 5-star QB talent. Other schools find ways to start true freshmen. #FireMcCall
Completely agree!! Did everyone forget the Duke game and Michigan games last year? Green did absolutely nothing. He is a known entity. Let’s see what HJ can do. He can’t be worse.

Reactions: mikero3
Sure hope you are wrong because if green gets to play half of the snaps NU will go down to terrible loss.

Reactions: IGNORE and mikero3
I'm attending the Stanford game in person and I want to watch Hunter Johnson lead the Cats to victory, dammit! That's a big reason why I jumped through hoops to be in Palo Alto that weekend.

Somehow Fields is the starter at dOSU without a scout team year :)

They are very good, but this is not their strong point. People aren't complaining that a backup is getting reps, they are complaining that a) 5 QBs split reps in an n the spring in a pretend competition and b) now they are 50/50 split in what would be a pretend competition if Hunter got the reps he needed. And now they act like he's not prepared enough for the offense, because others had to share reps.*

Tell me this, why the heck did we wait until Rutgers to play Bowser? Did he suddenly get "better" than Moten or Solo? By any objective evidence, Bowser had to be the best back when Larkin went down, but we slogged through several games with the upperclassmen doing nothing. So if Green starts 2 or 3 games because he is ready and then Hunter comes on like Bowser, then what? That's just a poor recognition or preparation of talent, IMO

*All of this presumes that Hunter is not Kyle Prater 2.0 and truly needs more time. But if he comes on in like game 6 and averages 400 yds/4 TDS a game hence, Fitz and Co are going to look foolish.

Sheesh. Do you not think more practice, more reps and more film work had anything to do with Bowser's improvement? It's called coaching. Are you that clueless? Just picking up the pass protection schemes are a major challenge for young backs. He didn't suddenly get "better", he got better do to the time our staff invested in him after Larkin went down. o_O

I am the founder of the #FireMcCall movement. I think those three were drafted into the NFL despite playing in McCall's system. They didn't develop nearly as much as they could have under a different OC.

I am the founder of the #jimmyNUisclueless movement. The OC takes direction from the head coach. The head coach dictates the overall offensive philosophy and the OC executes accordingly. McCall has proven over the years he can open things up and direct a wide open offense. In recent years Fitz has insisted upon a conservative ball control type offense. If you were to fire McCall, the new OC would be running essentially the same offense. If you have issues with our offense blame Fitz.

I also think waiting for Bowser probably had something to do with the redshirt status for Anderson and Bowser. He may have been better than Moten/Solo from day one for all we know, but not so much better that he should burn his shirt unless absolutely necessary. When Larkin went down and the season looked like it could be lost, the team had to weigh how important it would be to burn Bowser's (or Anderson's) shirts in the service of what could have been a non-bowl-bound team. Turns out NU ran the table to win the division, so we're all glad it was done, but I can see why there was a hesitation up to that point.

Reactions: nickcat4 and Bwm57
Yeah... I wish we had less fans that showed emotion about the team.

Reactions: IGNORE and TejasCat

I just want to go on record to say that I think McCall is a GREAT OC. He calls plays conservatively to keep the ball away from opposing offenses, which hurts the offensive stats. Yet - excepting the period of discord and disunity caused by the unionization movement - NU typically wins more than it loses against far better talent. As the NU talent improves, I expect the stats to follow.

McCall also has coached 3 QBs into the NFL draft over the last ten years. Meanwhile, Michigan has only one - and that guy played at Io_a for three years prior.

Yeah, I have no problems with McCall. Is the offense "boring"? Sure, but I'd rather win with a boring offense than lose the 2000 Alamo Bowl again.

Reactions: NUMBfan
Does anybody remember when CT was battling Oliver for the starting qb nod four seasons ago?? I am just curious as to when CT was named the official starter. That may reveal if this truly is as close as everybody is making it seem between HJ and TJ. I am also hoping that the results are as good as what CT gave us his 4 years as the starter. I'll happily take 3 bowl wins by HJ or whomever is the starter the next 3 seasons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT