ADVERTISEMENT

Hunter Johnson QB Battle

We were great against Iowa, ran for about 180 yards and threw the game-winning TD against one of the best defenses in the league.

Michigan...we had no running game due to Larkin retiring, yet we still led until the final minutes. Amazing!

Duke kicked our ass. Twice. Deal with it.

Rutgers, smutgers.
14 points ain’t great.....

We were great against Iowa, ran for about 180 yards and threw the game-winning TD against one of the best defenses in the league.

Michigan...we had no running game due to Larkin retiring, yet we still led until the final minutes. Amazing!

Duke kicked our ass. Twice. Deal with it.

Rutgers, smutgers.

All these offense juggernauts, stunning how the offense ranked so low nationally...

That's not name calling. Name calling would be "Hey, jimmyNUnothingaboutfootbll!" or "Is your full name Jimmy NewbieDumbass?" or "Get a clue, jimmypullyourheadoutofyourass!"

He was just saying you don't know what you're talking about. ;)
Ha ha ha, I approve of this message. Does this guy realize McCall put a QB in the NFL before he ever came to NU? McCall has a good QB track record and Fitz keeps the Offense on a lease because he know the defense wins championships.

It’s beneficial because the coaches haven’t yet figured out which one gives the team the best chance to win. It’s that simple.

Isn’t it their responsibility to make a decision during the off-season, rather than throw both out there against a ranked opponent (and prime recruiting rival) and see who sticks?

Actually, I've been saying #FireCushing MUCH longer than I've been saying #FireMcCall. I think about the OL all the time. I went so far as to check the NFL draft stats a year or two ago. Cushing never had an O-line player drafted. Our O-line guys just simply didn't improve under his system.

I am part of a private Facebook group where I have been complaining about Cushing's pathetic OL for years.
How many handles have you had under which you have been banned?

Last edited:
Isn’t it their responsibility to make a decision during the off-season, rather than throw both out there against a ranked opponent (and prime recruiting rival) and see who sticks?

Can you give examples of schools where the QB competition was too close to call so they split time in Game 1? No injuries or anything. Not pro/dual change of pace like Trevor and Kain.

Genuinely curious.

I have listened to a lot of national commentary on NU the past two weeks. No one has even hinted that Hunter Johnson is anything but the starting QB. I think this is all just coach smoke.
Yup, and no sportbook odds that I can find on this alleged QB competition, another dead giveaway...

Reactions: Fitz51

It’s their responsibility to make the best decision for the team? At this point it appears they believe that is playing two QBs until one emerges rather than putting all their eggs in one basket.

Sorry corbi, our offensive coaches are not good at what they do. Several times in the show, revsine et al repeatedly said this wasn’t a good offense. The stats certainly back this up. The coaches for the offense haven’t been good for quite some time (make an exception for RB coach).

Even the possibility that HJ is not the starter is insane.

The same coach that people here wanted to be fired before Justin Jackson?

In other words, YOU CANNOT SEPARATE COACHING FROM TALENT!!!

Love the people who keep coming back for more in this thread after Glades dunks on them over, and over, and over again! Keep up the good work fellas...

Reactions: NUMBfan
Isn’t Ayeni the RB Coach? He’s only been in the role a couple of years.

Since January 2018. It doesn't matter, though. Give Ayeni poor talent to work with and people here will be calling for his head, too. MacPherson was a good RB coach and excellent recruiter as well, but folks here wanted him fired because he didn't play RB in college. That's how ridiculously ignorant some people are here. The same with Jerry Brown, though he played the position. Other teams fans find our witch hunts to be ridiculous as well.

Justin Jackson had only 4 fumbles lost over 1264 touches and 6298 total yards. Yeah, McPherson sucked.

Then there are the "woulda, coulda, shoulda" whiners who think winning is easy and that the other team doesn't play to win. We lost to Akron...SO WHAT?! It was a huge win for them. Get over it.

Since January 2018. It doesn't matter, though. Give Ayeni poor talent to work with and people here will be calling for his head, too. MacPherson was a good RB coach and excellent recruiter as well, but folks here wanted him fired because he didn't play RB in college. That's how ridiculously ignorant some people are here. The same with Jerry Brown, though he played the position. Other teams fans find our witch hunts to be ridiculous as well.

Justin Jackson had only 4 fumbles lost over 1264 touches and 6298 total yards. Yeah, McPherson sucked.

Then there are the "woulda, coulda, shoulda" whiners who think winning is easy and that the other team doesn't play to win. We lost to Akron...SO WHAT?! It was a huge win for them. Get over it.
Yep, don’t understand the agony over past losses. I’m looking to the next game. That said, everyone’s emotional makeup is different, but winners think like me. :)

Reactions: NUMBfan

My objective test for the quality of our coaches is the number that get recruited away to better positions at better programs. I think that is zero since Wilson. So apparently all those really dumb ADs and HCs at better programs are stupid too.

WAR is one of the greatest stats of all time. So McCall and Fitz and Cushing and Springer are all max WAR coaches, in your opinion?

And I agree, you are somewhat limited by the talent you recruit into the program. If your development skills lack, you should recruit only highly developed players. Cheers.

The three games I saw in person last year were arguably our worst - Rutgers, Ill and Akron. Was not enjoyable, but I'm over it. What I refuse to accept is people saying things like " we blew the game against Akron". No. Stats are for losers. Akron embarrassed our NFL QB and torched our DBs with one of the worst QBs in the MAC. Akron beat us, plain and simple.

Other teams anguish that they beat "themselves" when they lose to us. Let's not do the same. We got beat.

The same coach that people here wanted to be fired before Justin Jackson?

In other words, YOU CANNOT SEPARATE COACHING FROM TALENT!!!
I think you are making up a straw man. I honestly don’t remember anyone calling for McPherson to be fired (o certainly didn’t). The only coach I thought truly was in over his head was Springer. I think McCall is past his due date.

I find it really perplexing when people (especially those in the scientific field), who completely discount the statistics. By just about any objective measure, NU’s offense has been at best below average and at worse way below average. The BTN crew said this repeatedly.

Reactions: IGNORE
Not so sure that was planned.

If Sindelar had done well the first half, I imagine he would have gotten the second. As it was, the competition was played up in the media, and Brohm did not hesitate to replace Sindelar with Blough, who had less physical talent but more experience and a better grasp of the offense (sound familiar?)

I think you are making up a straw man. I honestly don’t remember anyone calling for McPherson to be fired (o certainly didn’t). The only coach I thought truly was in over his head was Springer. I think McCall is past his due date.

I find it really perplexing when people (especially those in the scientific field), who completely discount the statistics. By just about any objective measure, NU’s offense has been at best below average and at worse way below average. The BTN crew said this repeatedly.
Fair enough, but there is a hierarchy of statistics, from meaningful to meaningless. Sitting alone at the top is a single one: W:L

If Sindelar had done well the first half, I imagine he would have gotten the second. As it was, the competition was played up in the media, and Brohm did not hesitate to replace Sindelar with Blough, who had less physical talent but more experience and a better grasp of the offense (sound familiar?)
David Blough is probably more talented than Green, and had 6000 career passing yards coming into that game.

I find it really perplexing when people (especially those in the scientific field), who completely discount the statistics. By just about any objective measure, NU’s offense has been at best below average and at worse way below average. The BTN crew said this repeatedly.[/QUOTE} True, the coaches I remember the board folks wanting fired were Cushing (correct reasoning) and brown( not so). Don't remember McPherson ever being in that category. A lot of us have been disappointed in McCall's play calling over the years but maybe as some have said those calls come from Fitz. So, guess if the offense stalls or the wrong QB is chosen , it's time to fire Fitz. You think?

My objective test for the quality of our coaches is the number that get recruited away to better positions at better programs. I think that is zero since Wilson. So apparently all those really dumb ADs and HCs at better programs are stupid too.

WAR is one of the greatest stats of all time. So McCall and Fitz and Cushing and Springer are all max WAR coaches, in your opinion?

And I agree, you are somewhat limited by the talent you recruit into the program. If your development skills lack, you should recruit only highly developed players. Cheers.

My test is how well the coaching staff overperforms compared to their assessed talent level. We are one of the top five staffs in college football in that regard.

Four-star athletes are a piece of cake for NU to recruit. They're in aisle five next to top-50 basketball players. Cheers.

You either have a poor memory or have not been on the board very long...MacPherson and Jerry Brown were torched on a regular basis by the “board experts”.

David Blough is probably more talented than Green, and had 6000 career passing yards coming into that game.

Brohm’s choice was between Blough, in his last year of eligibility, with a ton of experience and so/so physical skills and Sindelar, who had greater physical skills and 2 years of remaining eligibility. I think it is premature to say how big a difference there is in physical skill between Blough and Green at this point in that Green has had limited playing time. I imagine there is some, but it is hard to quantify. What is interesting is that Brohm benched Sindelar, their quarterback of the future.

The original question was about whether there was a Power 5 team recently that had a quarterback competition that came to the wire where they split time the first game, and Purdue fit the bill. Also interesting is that after naming Sindelar the starter at the last minute, Brohm pulled him and only played him one more time, in mop up duty against Easter Michigan. Sindelar did not execute in the first half against the Cats, and Brohm essentially benched him and lost a year of development, though I assume Sindelar retained his eligibility year.

No straw men here. I have a good memory and can recall past witch hunts. People wanted McPherson fired before Venric Mark appeared. Did you know Jerry Brown was hated by many here and was labeled the "Affirmative Action coach" by one clown NU fan? As a fan, you know practically NOTHING about Springer's or any other coach's ability.

I like stats but stats are for losers in football. All that matters is the scoreboard. I learned that lesson the hard way at NU in 1975. Great stats, terrible losses.

Did you ever think that talent might be the issue? We're about 9th in the B1G talent-wise. The BTN said that repeatedly as well if you listened. We should rarely beat Iowa, MSU or Wisconsin but we do all the time. Our OL and WR talent has been average at best for quite some time. Those expecting a huge improvement in OL play this season will likely be disappointed no matter how well Anderson coaches them up.

No straw men here. I have a good memory and can recall past witch hunts. People wanted McPherson fired before Venric Mark appeared. Did you know Jerry Brown was hated by many here and was labeled the "Affirmative Action coach" by one clown NU fan? As a fan, you know practically NOTHING about Springer's or any other coach's ability.

I like stats but stats are for losers in football. All that matters is the scoreboard. I learned that lesson the hard way at NU in 1975. Great stats, terrible losses.

Did you ever think that talent might be the issue? We're about 9th in the B1G talent-wise. The BTN said that repeatedly as well if you listened. We should rarely beat Iowa, MSU or Wisconsin but we do all the time. Our OL and WR talent has been average at best for quite some time. Those expecting a huge improvement in OL play this season will likely be disappointed no matter how well Anderson coaches them up.
I think people mostly thought of JB as overmatched as DC, but I do remember him considered by some as an idiot at DB coach until we started , you know, recruiting talent at DB. I did agree he was not a good DC choice

I think people mostly thought of JB as overmatched as DC, but I do remember him considered by some as an idiot at DB coach until we started , you know, recruiting talent at DB. I did agree he was not a good DC choice

Nah. His coaching DB's was constantly and harshly criticized for several years.

Reactions: mikewebb68
Brohm’s choice was between Blough, in his last year of eligibility, with a ton of experience and so/so physical skills and Sindelar, who had greater physical skills and 2 years of remaining eligibility. I think it is premature to say how big a difference there is in physical skill between Blough and Green at this point in that Green has had limited playing time. I imagine there is some, but it is hard to quantify. What is interesting is that Brohm benched Sindelar, their quarterback of the future.

The original question was about whether there was a Power 5 team recently that had a quarterback competition that came to the wire where they split time the first game, and Purdue fit the bill. Also interesting is that after naming Sindelar the starter at the last minute, Brohm pulled him and only played him one more time, in mop up duty against Easter Michigan. Sindelar did not execute in the first half against the Cats, and Brohm essentially benched him and lost a year of development, though I assume Sindelar retained his eligibility year.

The way Purdue ultimately played Sindelar and Blough in Game 1 last year is far closer to how I advocate NU uses Hunter and Green (name Hunter the starter, pull him if and only if he really struggles) than what Corbi seems to envision — a couple series for one guy, a couple for the other, and back and forth.

The way Purdue ultimately played Sindelar and Blough in Game 1 last year is far closer to how I advocate NU uses Hunter and Green (name Hunter the starter, pull him if and only if he really struggles) than what Corbi seems to envision — a couple series for one guy, a couple for the other, and back and forth.

Let's be clear, it's what I think the coaches are going to do based on what we all have heard. Since I don't have the benefit of seeing these guys practice repeatedly over the last 9 months, I don't have an informed opinion that can contradict that approach. I think we have very good coaches and I trust their decisions. Whatever happens, I am confident it will be the decision that gives this year's team the best chance to succeed.

Reactions: StreamCat

I do remember the calls for Brown to be fired, I honestly don’t remember hearing that about McPherson. I’ll take your word for it.

As far as the only stat that matters is won/loss, let’s take it to an extreme. If we won every game 2-0, we would all be ok with the offense?

When people say stats are for losers, they show their ignorance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT