ADVERTISEMENT

Hunter Johnson QB Battle

When people say stats are for losers, they show their ignorance.

Nah. When people say "stats are for losers", it's because they may have seen or played in crazy-ass stats games and know just how true that saying is. The only thing that matters is the win...the stats are for losers.

Nah. When people say "stats are for losers", it's because they may have seen or played in crazy-ass stats games and know just how true that saying is. The only thing that matters is the win...the stats are for losers.
Ok, use that line in your argument for climate change. Also, you never addressed the hypothetical extreme where NU wins every game 2-0. Who needs an offense?

Reactions: IGNORE
Ok, use that line in your argument for climate change. Also, you never addressed the hypothetical extreme where NU wins every game 2-0. Who needs an offense?

Huh?
Our opponents do, obviously! We scored safeties on them.

Reactions: Alan Smithee
Let's be clear, it's what I think the coaches are going to do based on what we all have heard. Since I don't have the benefit of seeing these guys practice repeatedly over the last 9 months, I don't have an informed opinion that can contradict that approach. I think we have very good coaches and I trust their decisions. Whatever happens, I am confident it will be the decision that gives this year's team the best chance to succeed.

I agree with you that I want the coaches to do what gives the team the best chance to win.

I think it’s fair to raise questions about how they’ve handled the QBs if they need to extend the battle into the regular season, given that no one has provided an example of another program that deliberately split reps between two guys with relatively similar skillsets in Week 1.

I agree with you that I want the coaches to do what gives the team the best chance to win.

I think it’s fair to raise questions about how they’ve handled the QBs if they need to extend the battle into the regular season, given that no one has provided an example of another program that deliberately split reps between two guys with relatively similar skillsets in Week 1.

There have been many over the years. Just off the top of my head I thought of the Tom Brady vs. Drew Henson platoon. I don’t pay as much attention to college football outside of the Big Ten but I am sure there are several others that can be cited. That being said, I am sure the staff would prefer if one guy had seized the job. Apparently it hasn’t happened, yet!

There have been many over the years. Just off the top of my head I thought of the Tom Brady vs. Drew Henson platoon. I don’t pay as much attention to college football outside of the Big Ten but I am sure there are several others that can be cited. That being said, I am sure the staff would prefer if one guy had seized the job. Apparently it hasn’t happened, yet!

Yep, agree with you there. It is what it is. If what you predict comes to pass, I can only hope that Hunter balls out and earns the starting spot against UNLV.

I'd encourage you to call Fitz ignorant to his face.

Not that he'd bother to smack you; I simply think he'd get a kick out of your explaining how you know more about the game than he does.
Nice extrapolation! At no point did I say I know more than Fitz about football (hint: I don’t). But if you want to die on the stats are for losers “ hill, by all means. Staticitical analysis is probably the number one factor businesses lol at when making a decision (think Netflix and Amazon). But they must be losers....

Nice extrapolation! At no point did I say I know more than Fitz about football (hint: I don’t). But if you want to die on the stats are for losers “ hill, by all means. Staticitical analysis is probably the number one factor businesses lol at when making a decision (think Netflix and Amazon). But they must be losers....
No extrapolation, cur. You flatly said that statement reveals ignorance. Nobody I know uses that more phrase more than Fitz.

I must be ignorant. I've never even heard of staticitical analysis.

Everything is in service of winning over losing. There are a lot of paths to get there. All of the STATISTICAL measures of the intermediate steps that can together contribute toward the overarching goal have some value. Fitz knows that all of them are nevertheless individually subordinate to the final score. What would you call a team that wins every conference game despite a mediocre offense: a rarity, fortunate, probably, but also you would call them conference champions.

My test is how well the coaching staff overperforms compared to their assessed talent level. We are one of the top five staffs in college football in that regard.

Four-star athletes are a piece of cake for NU to recruit. They're in aisle five next to top-50 basketball players. Cheers.

Sorry but the coaches are paid handsomely to identify, recruit, sign and develop the players. There is no GM like other sports. They live and die by their choices. Next.

Reactions: willycat
You either have a poor memory or have not been on the board very long...MacPherson and Jerry Brown were torched on a regular basis by the “board experts”.
Archives are your friends. Prove Mac. I don’t recall a litany of posters. Find me three.

You either have a poor memory or have not been on the board very long...MacPherson and Jerry Brown were torched on a regular basis by the “board experts”.

Oh, and the only board experts are gcg and Corbi. Think I’m wrong? Just ask them.

No straw men here. I have a good memory and can recall past witch hunts. People wanted McPherson fired before Venric Mark appeared. Did you know Jerry Brown was hated by many here and was labeled the "Affirmative Action coach" by one clown NU fan? As a fan, you know practically NOTHING about Springer's or any other coach's ability.

I like stats but stats are for losers in football. All that matters is the scoreboard. I learned that lesson the hard way at NU in 1975. Great stats, terrible losses.

Did you ever think that talent might be the issue? We're about 9th in the B1G talent-wise. The BTN said that repeatedly as well if you listened. We should rarely beat Iowa, MSU or Wisconsin but we do all the time. Our OL and WR talent has been average at best for quite some time. Those expecting a huge improvement in OL play this season will likely be disappointed no matter how well Anderson coaches them up.

Then recruit better.

I'd encourage you to call Fitz ignorant to his face.

Not that he'd bother to smack you; I simply think he'd get a kick out of your explaining how you know more about the game than he does.

So, what your saying is that the coaches don’t track, review, studying any stats? No advanced metrics? Say that to Fitz and I bet he falls overnight laughing.

Someone remind Alan why QB2 is holding a clipboard, what the staff in the press box are
doing, what half the undergrad and grad staff are doing on game day.

No extrapolation, cur. You flatly said that statement reveals ignorance. Nobody I know uses that more phrase more than Fitz.

Everything is in service of winning over losing. There are a lot of paths to get there. All of the STATISTICAL measures of the intermediate steps that can together contribute toward the overarching goal have some value. Fitz knows that all of them are nevertheless individually subordinate to the final score. What would you call a team that wins every conference game despite a mediocre offense: a rarity, fortunate, probably, but also you would call them conference champions.

Or lowly ranked lucky conference champions.

How pedantic, focus on a spelling mistake. Here is a trial balloon for you, go into your next meeting and when someone starts going over the numbers say “stats are for losers”. I’ll bet you will be promoted on the spot....

I would call that team extremely fortunate and possibly/probably unsustainable.

I would call that team extremely fortunate and possibly/probably unsustainable.

LOL. Lucky and unsustainable for 36 wins over a four year period of time? Fitz should just go to Vegas and gamble because with that type of luck he should become a billionaire within a week’s time.

Reactions: mikewebb68
I hope you all are enjoying the fun I'm offering by liking many of corbi's posts. What a tool. Too bad he can't read me and that DJT is gonna get another 4 years. Man I hope he live feeds his election night activities....
Man, you guys are boring.

Sorry but the coaches are paid handsomely to identify, recruit, sign and develop the players. There is no GM like other sports. They live and die by their choices. Next.

Did you even read my post? Apparently not. Cheers. Next.

Reactions: mikewebb68
Yup, and no sportbook odds that I can find on this alleged QB competition, another dead giveaway...
It seems to me that might be a reflection of the amount of betting interest in NU sports more so than anything else. I'm not sure I ever recall seeing a custom prop bet created for NU sports. It might have happened at some point, but it's quite rare.

For me the analysis comes down to this-can Green take us to a (insert your threshold for a successful season)?

If yes, then you play the player best equipped to help the team.

If no (my speculation), then you play Johnson no matter what. Johnson has the highest upside/physics tools and there is no long term benefit to playing a 5th year senior who can’t accomplish your goals. There are potential benefits to playing a sophomore who can’t accomplish your goals but may be able to in the future.

McCall coached Persa, Kafka, Siemian and Thorson. 3 of those guys were drafted by NFL teams and the other was better than all of them until he got injured. I trust he knows more about QBs than any of us on this board.

A compelling argument. But, then there was the Colter experiment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT