ADVERTISEMENT

I didn't quite understand the punt shield call

EvanstonCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Dude looked like he got flipped by our OL. What rule was broken there? He didn't even touch the punter. What is it now illegal to try to block a punt or to get messed up by the OL?

You cannot attempt to jump over a personal protector. Whether he touched the punter is irrelevant. Easy penalty call.

You cannot attempt to jump over a personal protector. Whether he touched the punter is irrelevant. Easy penalty call.

I don't think he was attempting to jump over the protector at all. Looks like he went up to try to block it vertically and our guys flipped him over.

il-nwnwnw-02.gif

I don't think he was attempting to jump over the protector at all. Looks like he went up to try to block it vertically and our guys flipped him over.

il-nwnwnw-02.gif

Mikewebb is correct! You cannot jump up over a blocker /shielder to block a kick! The rule was introduced a few years ago to prevent defenders from injuring themselves by jumping up (and consequently being flipped...it happens almost every time) and trying to block a kick. When he left his feet, it was a 15-yard penalty, and how he landed has nothing to do with the call. Again, it was put in place to protect the defender and discourage them from making such a leap.

I absolutely hate this rule, but it's now in the books.

Mikewebb is correct! You cannot jump up over a blocker /shielder to block a kick! The rule was introduced a few years ago to prevent defenders from injuring themselves by jumping up (and consequently being flipped...it happens almost every time) and trying to block a kick. When he left his feet, it was a 15-yard penalty, and how he landed has nothing to do with the call. Again, it was put in place to protect the defender and discourage them from making such a leap.

I absolutely hate this rule, but it's now in the books.
This replay is a great example of why it's illegal. The guy was lucky not to land on he is head and break his neck. As Glades said, being flipped happens almost every time. Landing square on your head is a tough fall to break especially in shoulder pads.

I created a game once for a gathering of 500 High School students. It involved 4 teams of 125 students getting chips and giant beach balls, 5 or6 Ft, tall up a hill to scoring circles. I knew that kids like to run at the balls and roll themselves up on the ball which frequently dumped them down on the other side on their heads (very dangerous). I made a big announcement early in the day about the game and the danger of getting on the ball. While filling the balls, one of the college age helpers I had, did the very thing I told them not to do and broke her neck. Fortunately, she recovered but I almost just stuck a knife in the balls and went home.

Have fun with the knife in the balls reference.:D

Is the rule that you can't jump up at all? I suppose it doesn't take much of a forward lean to be interpreted as trying to jump over.

Is the rule that you can't jump up at all? I suppose it doesn't take much of a forward lean to be interpreted as trying to jump over.

Here s what I could find on the rule from the NCAA Rule book:

c� No defensive player who is inside the tackle box may try to block a punt by leaving his feet in an attempt to leap directly over an opponent�

1� It is not a foul if the player tries to block the punt by jumping straight up without attempting to leap over the opponent�

2� It is not a foul if a player attempts to leap through or over the gap between players�

Here s what I could find on the rule from the NCAA Rule book:

c� No defensive player who is inside the tackle box may try to block a punt by leaving his feet in an attempt to leap directly over an opponent�

1� It is not a foul if the player tries to block the punt by jumping straight up without attempting to leap over the opponent�

2� It is not a foul if a player attempts to leap through or over the gap between players�
I understand that the NFL has the same rule. It's a safety thing.

Related to this rule is no scaling or climbing on top of team member or opponent to obtain height advantage in attempt to block the kick.
Both college and NFL.

il-nwnwnw-02.gif

He clearly jumps as much out as up. The penalty is technically for launching, which is a bit of a gray area but comes down to whether he would have landed on another player of his own volition. It's pretty clear to me that he would have landed on our protectors whether or not he was flipped.

He clearly jumps as much out as up. The penalty is technically for launching, which is a bit of a gray area but comes down to whether he would have landed on another player of his own volition. It's pretty clear to me that he would have landed on our protectors whether or not he was flipped.

That's the thing - if you look at the video, I don't think he lands on anyone else unless our OL don't block up and flip him by pushing his legs up and out.

In rugby, during the plays when ball is passed in from the sideline, the catcher is supposed to jump up--often with assistance of teammates who hoist him by his legs--and catch the ball and quickly relay it to a waiting teammate behind the scrimmage line before crashing to the ground. I know this from first hand experience.

And football has rules against jumping!

Just sayin...

• Haha
Reactions: Buckny
That's the thing - if you look at the video, I don't think he lands on anyone else unless our OL don't block up and flip him by pushing his legs up and out.

He has to jump straight up in that situation, by rule. He did not jump straight up. Easy call, and don't recall any controversy about it during the game (even the second-tier ESPNU annuncers knew the rule change, or at least were informed of it by someone).

Pretty clear that he would land on the shield even if not flipped.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT