ADVERTISEMENT

I don't understand leaving a game early.

HailToPurple

Jul 11, 2023
It was a long time ago, but I don't recall ever leaving a game early just because we were behind.

If you are fan then you stay to the end of the game. If for no other reason than to support the players on the team. They can't leave so neither should you.

And what in the world do these people do when they leave. What could be more important than supporting your players and school.

Anyhow it serves the people right who left early. They missed an exciting finish, so maybe they will think twice now about leaving early again.

At home it would be very easy for me to turn off the TV and go do something else. But I watch our games to the end regardless of the score.

And major kudos to Braun and the players who basically ignored the fans giving up on them and pressed on to a great victory.

As the coach has said numerous times these guys play for each other and that is a great spirit to have.
So maybe the players think screw the fans. If they don't want to be here we don't care and don't really need them anyhow. We can win without them.

Go waste your time somewhere else. We have a football game to play.

GO CATS!

Last edited:
It was a long time ago, but I don't recall ever leaving a game early just because we were behind.

If you are fan then you stay to the end of the game. If for no other reason than to support the players on the team. They can't leave so neither should you.

And what in the world do these people do when they leave. What could be more important than supporting your players and school.

Anyhow it serves the people right who left early. They missed an exciting finish, so maybe they will think twice now about leaving early again.

At home it would be very easy for me to turn off the TV and go do something else. But I watch our games to the end regardless of the score.

And major kudos to Braun and the players who basically ignored the fans giving up on them and pressed on to a great victory.

As the coach has said numerous times these guys play for each other and that is a great spirit to have.
So maybe the players think screw the fans. If they don't want to be here we don't care and don't really need them anyhow. We can win without them.

GO CATS!

I left the Alamo bowl early after we were getting crushed at the beginning of the 4th quarter. Was too mad and too drunk to stay. Just couldn't bear to watch it. We were also getting a bit testy with some Nebraskas fans who dominated our section, and so my friend's wife thought it best if her husband and my other friend and I left lest things get ugly. She and others who were less drunk stayed. I think we were down by something like 40 though. Within 3 scores, and I was still there.

I don't know about others who leave early, but my friend and I brought our super drunk friend (the one who was married) back to the hotel and put him to bed, and then we went to a strip joint. They are better down in Texas and it did put us in a far better mood, though we didn't get any more sober.

If you’re no longer having fun, you should leave.

If you’re having fun but need to beat the traffic, then you’re a doof.

Reactions: Noah121
I understand the sentiment @HailToPurple and largely agree, but at the same time I do think there is a justified anger at the administration (Schill and Gragg) for their handling of this mess that made it easy for many to cancel their season tickets and also made it easier to leave games early. And I don't blame our fans that made those decisions.

This is a lesson to the students for sure, Cardiac Cats are still a thing and it's those types of games that are the most magical to witness (especially as a student where for most these are their core experiences rooting for the football team that last a lifetime).

Finally, as Cappy and others pointed out, this game was just the 2nd home win in front of the fans since 2018.

That's just a lot of losses that dents fan enthusiasm after a while; combine it with the rest of the issues and it's a tough situation.

Hopefully this Minnesota win changes things and fans don't see this season as a total lost cause.

GO CATS!Great
Great post. The players don’t have a “screw the fans” mentality. I know for a fact that they REALLY appreciate those fans who are still showing up to watch them play. They are playing for those fans and for each other. Hope we have a great turn out for the Penn State game. Go ‘Cats

Last edited:
I almost always stay to the end, but others that are with me (wife and daughter when they attend) will occasionally want to leave due to weather, discomfort or boredom. I like to stay even after the outcome is decided. Heck, I might get to see Brendan Sullivan play 😀😀

During the game, I was saying to myself that 21 points is doable, maybe, just maybe… My son said that he was thinking the same thing. Hey, we are pie-in-the-sky optimists. And what do you know, the pie came down to earth and landed on Ryan Field.

2005: Last home game of the season versus Iowa. It was a relatively full stadium by Ryan Field standards (which up to that point, I recall Iowa fans calling it "Kinnick East"), and it was raining. We were down 27-14 for most of the 4th quarter. My friends were giving me the stink eye for wanting to stay til the end, but they humored me. About 3/4 of the stadium had emptied out by the final minutes of the game.

We scored two touchdowns in the final two minutes, as I know many people reading this will remember, and we won 28-27 in an instant classic.

I'm not going to say I've never left a game early since then, but I'll usually stay til the end because of this one.

We scored two touchdowns in the final two minutes, as I know many people reading this will remember, and we won 28-27 in an instant classic.
Why not take a nice trip down memory lane during an upbeat week for the program?

———

“What a comeback by Northwestern, to eliminate the Hawkeyes from the Big Ten race!”

2005: Last home game of the season versus Iowa. It was a relatively full stadium by Ryan Field standards (which up to that point, I recall Iowa fans calling it "Kinnick East"), and it was raining. We were down 27-14 for most of the 4th quarter. My friends were giving me the stink eye for wanting to stay til the end, but they humored me. About 3/4 of the stadium had emptied out by the final minutes of the game.

I'm not going to say I've never left a game early since then, but I'll usually stay til the end because of this one.
Yeah that ending was incredible. Wildest onside kick I've ever seen with how it went over so many Hawkeye's fingertips.

Definitely in the list of best Northwestern games I attended.

Wisconsin game that year was awesome as well.

Yep, stayed until the end of that one, too.

Why not take a nice trip down memory lane during an upbeat week for the program?

———

“What a comeback by Northwestern, to eliminate the Hawkeyes from the Big Ten race!”

Pardon my ignorance, but what happened with that onside play? He ran it down to about the 35 and then got waved off by the ref, turned around, and ran back to his line - no tackle, no going out of bounds, just play ends?

Also, that's a great clip!

Why did they blow the onside recovery dead? I don’t know of a rule on that.
Pardon my ignorance, but what happened with that onside play? He ran it down to about the 35 and then got waved off by the ref, turned around, and ran back to his line - no tackle, no going out of bounds, just play ends?

I'm pretty sure the rule is that the kicking team can't advance an onside kick recovery unless it's actually received and then fumbled by the receiving team.

My wife and I were at Camp Randall for an epic comeback in 1996 (I believe). Ron Dayne fumbles with less than 2 minutes to go. We drive for the winning pass to Dwayne Bates. They were cursing out Alvarez as we were walking out!

I'm pretty sure the rule is that the kicking team can't advance an onside kick recovery unless it's actually received and then fumbled by the receiving team.
So when their #81, I think, tips it up into the air that doesn't count as either a reception or a fumble, but NU gets possession. I wonder how often that rule comes up...

Reactions: drewjin and zeek55
This is correct. NU (and UCLA) fans can attest that the same rule does not apply to the receiving team on an onside kick. I think we confirmed that same season, right?

Iowa’s clock management was atrocious that afternoon. Brian Ferentz must have been acting coordinator from the O-line.

So when their #81, I think, tips it up into the air that doesn't count as either a reception or a fumble, but NU gets possession. I wonder how often that rule comes up...
Yeah this is my interpretation as well: Iowa never had possession of the football, them touching it in the air just means that it remains a live football.

That's why Northwestern couldn't advance it.

I was at the game. Was pleased to see the student section full at kickoff - looked like it was a very good turnout from the first-year class for the Wildcat Dash. But was very disappointed to see so many of them leave at halftime. It was easy to identify them: most had "class of '27" on the backs of their T-shirts.

Meanwhile, my daughters (10 yo and 7 yo) stayed up well past their usual bed time to witness the comeback with me. I almost left when we were down by 14 because the younger one was getting cold and tired, but the little trooper stayed til the end.

I am very disappointed in the NU students - first weekend back at school and perfect weather, so there really were no excuses for so many of them to leave early.

I was at that game. With about two minutes to go and NU down as described by 13, an Iowa fan walked by and made a point of telling us that Northwestern was the worst football team he had ever seen. Didn't see him after that. Maybe he left the game early.

One of the few games I ever left early, but the deciding factor was an event back home almost 3 hours away. Heard the cheers as the Cats won on my way to the car and listened to the postgame on the radio.

Never thought of leaving this Saturday, and the weather was beautiful. Great reward for those of us who stayed.

The only NU football game I ever left early was the 2017 Minnesota game with its 30 degree cold rain and piercing wind. It was semi involuntary as the rest of my party had had enough of the weather and we were up 35-0 in the 4th.

I also left the UNL game semi involuntarily this weekend due to weather and carpool.

I was at the game. Was pleased to see the student section full at kickoff - looked like it was a very good turnout from the first-year class for the Wildcat Dash. But was very disappointed to see so many of them leave at halftime. It was easy to identify them: most had "class of '27" on the backs of their T-shirts.

Meanwhile, my daughters (10 yo and 7 yo) stayed up well past their usual bed time to witness the comeback with me. I almost left when we were down by 14 because the younger one was getting cold and tired, but the little trooper stayed til the end.

I am very disappointed in the NU students - first weekend back at school and perfect weather, so there really were no excuses for so many of them to leave early.
Roger... the game kicked off at 6:30 or so on a Saturday night.
First (or 2nd) weekend back on campus.
Free admission to the game, so nothing really invested.
Gophers take a 21 point lead late in the third quarter.
Oh well, Parties to attend.

I don't blame any student for leaving at that point. I'm just glad they showed up.
Two years ago you could count the NU students at some basketball games on 4 hands.
Now every game is overflowing with students.
They like winning.

As we would learn in the Sun Bowl at the end of that season, though, the receiving team isn't blown dead when returning an onside kick.

As we would learn in the Sun Bowl at the end of that season, though, the receiving team isn't blown dead when returning an onside kick.
They were able to demonstrate this rule not once but twice. It’s the only game I’ve seen it happen and it unfolded on two consecutive kickoffs! Crazy.

I don't blame any student for leaving at that point. I'm just glad they showed up.
Two years ago you could count the NU students at some basketball games on 4 hands.
They like winning.
Are there still parties on campus? Not many frats left to host them.

They like winning.
PWB - I get your point about weekend parties, but at halftime, it was still fairly early in the evening - especially by college student standards. Do college parties really get started before 10pm?

It fits my theory that America is not being taken over by aliens, zombies or politics...it is succumbing to slowly creeping narcassism , where we run from the first sign of suffering....with a dose of the need to be constantly happy which can only be obtained by the stuff we have...and a pinch of "throw it away and get a new one"... So if we are getting beat head for the exits.....or as a buddy did...buy an Alabama shirt and enjoy the glow of rooting for the elephants but I think he may have already thrown it away and got a Georgia hoodie.....

It fits my theory that America is not being taken over by aliens, zombies or politics...it is succumbing to slowly creeping narcassism , where we run from the first sign of suffering....with a dose of the need to be constantly happy which can only be obtained by the stuff we have...and a pinch of "throw it away and get a new one"... So if we are getting beat head for the exits.....or as a buddy did...buy an Alabama shirt and enjoy the glow of rooting for the elephants but I think he may have already thrown it away and got a Georgia hoodie.....
Well, this de-evolution of society has been going on since at least the 1960's...

As Robert Zimmerman (Dylan) once sang...

"You've got a lotta nerve to say you are my friend.
When I was down, you just stood there grinning.
You've got a lotta nerve to say you've got a helping hand to lend.
You just want to be on the side that's winning."

I'd guess the more competitive it is in the academic programs within a university, the less reliably invested the student body is in the athletic teams. The whole process has become more about "winning" than "competing."
And that extends to politics and the business world.

Just another old dude muttering to himself...

Reactions: drewjin
I couldn't go today, but at 2:20 left, now would be a good time to leave early. I mean if you can beat the crowd.

• Haha
Reactions: NUCat320

———

Was at that game. You felt like NU might have a shot if they could keep holding Iowa to FGs, which they did.

I remember observing Iowa players joking around on the sideline during the 4th quarter and thinking if Baz could just get hot…

With the new clock rules it’s likely these type of comebacks will become a thing of the past. College football is big business and the television overlords want a product that will fit neatly into their programming windows.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: drewjin
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT