ADVERTISEMENT

I LOVE watching Harbaugh...

stpaulcat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
St. Paul
when he's losing. Schaudenfreude combined with sucking lemons.. It looks like Michigan is beatable. ND, not as much, unless Wimbush can be contained. Is Michigan's defense not as good as advertised or is ND's offense very good--can't tell?

Last edited:
when he's losing. Schaudenfreude combined with sucking lemons.. It looks like Michigan is beatable. ND, not as much, unless Wimbush can be contained. Is Michigan's defense not as good as advertised or is ND's offense very good--can't tell?
Wimbush throws into a lot of traffic. So far it hasn’t hurt him.

Neither team is overwhelming. ND has a lot of deficiencies.

Down by 7 with 2:18 to go, why on earth would you not do an onside kick ?!?

Patterson was unimpressive. They are beatable.

Win bush on the other hand...

Advantage is we play MICH first. By the time we play the Irish, they may be more beatable

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
What I find interesting is that former QB Harbaugh does not seem to be able to get a steady offense going at Michigan.
pawildcat- I’ve been thinking about UM’s underperforming offense under Harbaugh and the tepid development of QB’s under his tenure as hc. I felt Harbaugh was a miracle worker as hc at U of San Diego, and did pretty well at Stanford but he has done less with more at UM. Certainly his mediocre tenure there can’t be explained by lack of talent (or that he is still rebuilding from the Brady Hoke era (another connection to San Diego!) )

Loved this game and think ND is a level stronger than UM. But super competition.

Nothing can be finer than to watch Harbaugh's teams lose to nearly every school that has the same advantages he has. He's been much more successful in the past, especially at Stanford. Many think his management of the 49ers from dog meat to a SB built Levi Stadium And after that, he was fired. And after that the 49ers were dog meat again.

My favorite plays were the three or more times primadonna Patterson got his helmut driven into the sod. I wonder how McCaffery feels about Harbaugh's handing the position to Patterson. McCaffery looked sharp.

Reality Check time when NU plays either of these teams.

Reactions: seavue617
Where? I see a few not a lot.

Below average QB, average RBs, Only one playmaker at WR that I saw. They do have a good defense that I think is comparable to ours and their OL played better than I thought they would. Obviously it's early and lots can change between now and November but based on what I saw this weekend, NU can beat ND if our OL plays well enough to give Thorson and Larkin the time and space to outperform their ND counterparts.

Below average QB, average RBs, Only one playmaker at WR that I saw. They do have a good defense that I think is comparable to ours and their OL played better than I thought they would. Obviously it's early and lots can change between now and November but based on what I saw this weekend, NU can beat ND if our OL plays well enough to give Thorson and Larkin the time and space to outperform their ND counterparts.
Great runner + Average thrower does not equal a below average QB.

Loved this game and think ND is a level stronger than UM. But super competition.

Nothing can be finer than to watch Harbaugh's teams lose to nearly every school that has the same advantages he has. He's been much more successful in the past, especially at Stanford. Many think his management of the 49ers from dog meat to a SB built Levi Stadium And after that, he was fired. And after that the 49ers were dog meat again.

My favorite plays were the three or more times primadonna Patterson got his helmut driven into the sod. I wonder how McCaffery feels about Harbaugh's handing the position to Patterson. McCaffery looked sharp.

Reality Check time when NU plays either of these teams.
I am holding my breath that either Mich or Hairball lose patience before they figure out how to get back to prominence. He is good enough and young enough that they would be a real pain in the ass if they right the ship. I'm perfectly happy with them stumbling along like FLA or Tex, and I can't imagine them getting a more prominent coach.

Are you describing ND?

The defense finished 10th in the country in defense efficiency last year & returned all but one player.

The OL returned 4 guys who started at least half the games on the Joe Moore Award winning OL. The fifth, (a top 100 recruit) was just stuck behind two AA’s last year. They are a top 5-10 OL in the country.

I think our front seven can hold down the Michigan running game, and I think their wideouts, while good, aren't scary. I'm more worried about scoring on their D. They didn't have a particularly good game, especially in the first half, against the Irish, but that still is a nasty, quick crew with a lot of talent. If they can stuff Larkin, it's going to be a tough game for us. The Wimbush running game worries me a little with the Irish. Running QBs can always cause problems, and their WRs looked very large and scrappy, outwrestling some talented Michigan DBs for the ball on occasion. Irish D looks a little better than it's been in recent years as well.

Great runner + Average thrower does not equal a below average QB.

True but a sub 50% completion percentage passer does not make an average thrower. The long TD he threw was a horrible read that should have been an easy interception. Terrible play by the Michigan DB and great play by the ND WR but overall a horrible decision by the QB. Not a unique situation for their QB when you look at his body of work.

Last edited:
Are you describing ND?

The defense finished 10th in the country in defense efficiency last year & returned all but one player.

The OL returned 4 guys who started at least half the games on the Joe Moore Award winning OL. The fifth, (a top 100 recruit) was just stuck behind two AA’s last year. They are a top 5-10 OL in the country.

As I said in my post, a very good defense but not one that I envy at all when you look at all the talent we have on defense. As I also said in my post, your OL played well. Surprisingly so when you consider you were replacing two top 10 NFL picks and your position coach. ND has recruited well at that position because the new guys on the left side did not miss a beat although your Right Tackle needs a lot of work. Our OL will need to continue its improved play to give NU a good chance of winning in November. Looking forward to the match up.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT