ADVERTISEMENT

I reserve the right to retract this whole thing the evening of December 28...

DarthCat

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2001
.....but we do not fully appreciate what Fitz means to our program. The loyalty to the program, the apparent character level of the kids he brings in, the apparent absence of scandals among the coaches, the fact that for since 2006, there hasn't really been a sniff of anything improper. When I read about coaches taking over programs where they have to maintain the illegal recruiting that is already going on (see article posted last month), the obvious character flaws of the head people at numerous programs, the scandals and illegal activities surrounding the kids they recruit just to win, it is amazing what Fitz has done at a school with such inherent challenges as NU, and in doing so consistently won. Seven bowl trips in 11 years.

Yeah, I'd like more bowl wins. But I wouldn't trade our seasons for those of the schools that have come under fire in just this last season, if it meant enduring any of the embarrassment to which they and their fans have been subjected.

Of the top of my head, schools mired in scandals of some sort the last year:

Notre Dame
Tennessee
Wake Forest
Louisville
Virginia Tech
Rutgers
Minnesota
Oklahoma

Sure there are a LOT more I am forgetting.

Baylor. Ped State

Furthermore, the one controversial issue was the union, and I support the players raising the issue

Right, it was like sodomy vs. Obamacare. Which would you pick if you could have one?

When you put it that way, Obamacare actually looks pretty good.

I can say that Obamacare, as flawed as it is and even though some may liken it to being sodomized, is something I'd prefer to have versus being actually sodomized.

.....but we do not fully appreciate what Fitz means to our program. The loyalty to the program, the apparent character level of the kids he brings in, the apparent absence of scandals among the coaches, the fact that for since 2006, there hasn't really been a sniff of anything improper. When I read about coaches taking over programs where they have to maintain the illegal recruiting that is already going on (see article posted last month), the obvious character flaws of the head people at numerous programs, the scandals and illegal activities surrounding the kids they recruit just to win, it is amazing what Fitz has done at a school with such inherent challenges as NU, and in doing so consistently won. Seven bowl trips in 11 years.

Yeah, I'd like more bowl wins. But I wouldn't trade our seasons for those of the schools that have come under fire in just this last season, if it meant enduring any of the embarrassment to which they and their fans have been subjected.

Notre Dame
Tennessee
Wake Forest
Louisville
Virginia Tech
Rutgers
Minnesota
Oklahoma

I am sure that any such retraction on 12/28 will be filled will capital letters, excessive punctuation, emotion and will in turn be retracted after the new year as you sit back and reflect on all of the victories of Brian Kelly's one truly good year at ND being forfeited. It is my zen thought.;)

Notre Dame
Tennessee
Wake Forest
Louisville
Virginia Tech
Rutgers
Minnesota
Oklahoma

As I've stated before . . . as a non-alum, this is a big part of the reason I support the Northwestern athletic program. Outside of FloridAlum, nothing's perfect . . . but having the program strive to at least be as clean, upright and honorable as is possible within the framework of the slimy quagmire that college athletics has become is refreshing as hell to me. I want wins as badly as anyone on here, but as long as I can reasonably look at Northwestern in that light, I'll continue to be a fan - irrespective of wins and losses.

Notre Dame
Tennessee
Wake Forest
Louisville
Virginia Tech
Rutgers
Minnesota
Oklahoma

Really going out on a limb there, eh?

Right, it was like sodomy vs. Obamacare. Which would you pick if you could have one?

I chose Obama Care because i couldn't get insurance any other way. A week later I had my bike accident. I would have been financially ruined. My Blue Cross,Blue Shield coverage has been very good, I still pay $750 a month with a max out of pocket of $12,000 BUT even with BSBS huge discounts, my bill was over $250,000.00.

I chose Obama Care because i couldn't get insurance any other way. A week later I had my bike accident. I would have been financially ruined. My Blue Cross,Blue Shield coverage has been very good, I still pay $750 a month with a max out of pocket of $12,000 BUT even with BSBS huge discounts, my bill was over $250,000.00.
Wow. I remember your mentioning the bike incident here on the boards, but had no idea this was the kind of outlay you were dealing with. Sorry to hear this, Deering. Sheesh. Can't really put a price on your health, though . . .

BUT SMALL BUSINESSES, blah, blah.

Wow. I remember your mentioning the bike incident here on the boards, but had no idea this was the kind of outlay you were dealing with. Sorry to hear this, Deering. Sheesh. Can't really put a price on your health, though . . .
I really hadn't intended to start a discussion about the ACA, but as long as we're now discussing it, were it not for Medicare with my broken neck this year, had Deeringfish not gotten insurance, heand I would have been living in a tent together, somewhere north of Hurley. Medicare for all is the only way to go. It really works and would work better with a larger pool.

Last edited:
Giving it or receiving it?

You started it...
Okay, I was making an analogy to things that have been distracting or damaging to programs: to improper things players do vs. the Union (NU version of improper things even though it was not improper), thus my saying it was like discussing sodomy vs. Obamacare. So, I didn't mean sodomy literally, but rather figuratively, even though ECat would rather I had meant it literally, so maybe you should ask him that question--would he prefer giving or receiving it?.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT