ADVERTISEMENT

Illini lose at Rutgers - too bad

julescat

May 29, 2001
Just kidding. They own our ass but they are not on the bubble any more...

Just goes to show that these are college kids and just when they think they've got it all together, stuff happens.

I was sort of rooting for them in a weird way because they beat us twice - so I want them to be really good against everybody else.

I think the big question now is whether Groce keeps his job. If he doesn't, and most think he'll be gone, I think they will have some pretty big problems.

I think UoI overestimates it's chances to land a name coach. I have a hard time seeing them as a real destination program anymore. Other programs such as NC State or IU (if Crean is also fired) will likely be able to "pick" ahead of them. With the tourney ending April 3rd and spring signing period starting April 12th, they'll have to really scramble to land a new coach to influence this recruiting cycle. This impacts the decision for Mark Smith in a major way. They also risk having their commits walking away, and they have some real talent currently committed.

I think a coaching change could really set the Illini back at least a year in the development of their program. As an NU fan, I'd be pretty ok with this, especially if it helps us to land some talented in state recruits over the Illini during the transition period. Smith would be a huge first step in this regard.

Gets rid of one of those potential bid stealers

Not quite.

The Illini could pose problems until they are eliminated in DC. With their loss today, UofI will likely need to get the automatic birth to go dancing. If they were to accomplish that feat, a bid thief they would be.

Yep, any team can be a bid thief as long as they're still playing in a conference that has at least one other team expected to get an at-large bid.

That said, the chances of multiple bid thieves in the Big 10 goes down with Illinois losing. Illinois, Iowa, Ohio State, and Indiana are all potential bid thieves, but they can't ALL get to the BT Final. Illinois's chances to get in without making it that far is now zero.

And that's good.

Last edited:
Rutgers was a better team than their record.
Agreed, and they seemed to get noticeably better as the season progressed. These guys will be a legitimate presence in the Big Ten within a couple of seasons, not perennial doormats.

The Illini could pose problems until they are eliminated in DC. With their loss today, UofI will likely need to get the automatic birth to go dancing. If they were to accomplish that feat, a bid thief they would be.
Completely correct. That's what "bid theft" means: a team that is virtually eliminated for At-Large bid consideration suddenly wins its conference T. That reduces the probability of getting an AL bid for teams with less than stellar T-resume. One of the reasons why I do not view NU's bid as a done deal, YET. A victory over PU would do wonders for the cats chances.

Illy continues to be a threat in the BTT, perhaps now even more, since they are now certain they desperately need the BTT to reach the NCAA-T. And they probably do have the raw talent to get it, especially if others relax thinking they don't need to win the BTT. In fact, if Illy loses in the final, they will get a look for an AL bid...for sure.

Completely correct. That's what "bid theft" means: a team that is virtually eliminated for At-Large bid consideration suddenly wins its conference T. That reduces the probability of getting an AL bid for teams with less than stellar T-resume. One of the reasons why I do not view NU's bid as a done deal, YET. A victory over PU would do wonders for the cats chances.

Illy continues to be a threat in the BTT, perhaps now even more, since they are now certain they desperately need the BTT to reach the NCAA-T. And they probably do have the raw talent to get it, especially if others relax thinking they don't need to win the BTT. In fact, if Illy loses in the final, they will get a look for an AL bid...for sure.
If the 'Cats lose to Purdue, I can take solace in knowing that you'll be proven WRONG.

Wanna back up your nonsensical opinions with a board ban wager that we will make the tournament? Same stakes as before, if the Cats make the NCAA Tournament, you don't post on this board for one calendar year; if the Cats don't make the NCAA Tournament, I don't post here for a calendar year. An excellent opportunity to put your always-correct opinions to the test and get rid of one of your favorite posters. I will eagerly await your response.

I think the big question now is whether Groce keeps his job. If he doesn't, and most think he'll be gone, I think they will have some pretty big problems.

I think UoI overestimates it's chances to land a name coach. I have a hard time seeing them as a real destination program anymore. Other programs such as NC State or IU (if Crean is also fired) will likely be able to "pick" ahead of them. With the tourney ending April 3rd and spring signing period starting April 12th, they'll have to really scramble to land a new coach to influence this recruiting cycle. This impacts the decision for Mark Smith in a major way. They also risk having their commits walking away, and they have some real talent currently committed.

I think a coaching change could really set the Illini back at least a year in the development of their program. As an NU fan, I'd be pretty ok with this, especially if it helps us to land some talented in state recruits over the Illini during the transition period. Smith would be a huge first step in this regard.

The only question was if Groce was going to be fired BEFORE the end of the season so that the Illini could get a jump on a new hire, imo. The winning streak put an end to that notion. He is gone; and AD who hired Lovie is simply not going to tolerate Groce, imo.

The only question was if Groce was going to be fired BEFORE the end of the season so that the Illini could get a jump on a new hire, imo. The winning streak put an end to that notion. He is gone; and AD who hired Lovie is simply not going to tolerate Groce, imo.

The Illini can still make the NCAA with 2 wins in BTT. Maybe. With his incoming class I think he is safe even if they don't do it.

Rutgers was a better team than their record.

But Illinois played an absolutely horrendous game particularly on offense. Lucas, who was so good vs. us, was in foul trouble and MIA, Abrams was his usual self (those made 3s vs us were some of the few he has hit all season) , and even Hill hit less than a third of his shots. As badly as we played them, we win at least one if they played as badly as they did vs. Rutgers.

I strongly disagree with your first paragraph about NU not making the NCAA tournament, I think NU is in. But I do agree with your 2nd paragraph. The Illini are a potential bid thief and they are a dangerous team when playing up to their potential. The Illini have also played really well as of late (excluding today) and I wouldn't be surprised if they make a run in the BTT.

I strongly disagree with your first paragraph about NU not making the NCAA tournament, I think NU is in. But I do agree with your 2nd paragraph. The Illini are a potential bid thief and they are a dangerous team when playing up to their potential. The Illini have also played really well as of late (excluding today) and I wouldn't be surprised if they make a run in the BTT.
We both agree on the Illy. That's precisely the problem that NU MAY face. If a bunch of Ill-type teams (virtually eliminated for AL bids) win their conference tournaments, the probability that a 10-8 NU get an AL bid falls drastically. Do the math and you will see it.
An 11-7 NU teams, with a HUGE SIGNATURE WIN over top-20 B1G CHAMPION Purdue (plus the Wiscy win, which unfortunately everyday seems to get less valuable) would be virtually certain to survive even if a lot of AQ's are "stolen".

Last edited:
Illinois is a dam good team! Beat us and a few other solid teams! Rutgers is solid also! The key is to keep your legs healthy during March! We will be dam tough next year! Dam tough!

Jesus Christ the pessimistic fan schtick during the program's best season ever is ****ing tiresome.

I will bet you any reasonable amount (up to, let's say, $500) that NU is in even with a loss tomorrow, and I will lay you 5-to-1 odds. So like your $100 to my $500. Put your money where your mouth is.

I'm in Phoenix and played golf today with two guys from central Illinois here to watch Cubs spring training (and play golf). They said they really dislike Groce and want him gone, and they're worried that Illinois will keep him if they make the tourney. A frustrated fan base, for sure.

Interestingly, they also said that they like Lovie at Illinois but didn't like him when he was with the Bears. Not sure how that works...

Interestingly, they also said that they like Lovie at Illinois but didn't like him when he was with the Bears. Not sure how that works...

Perhaps they like Lovie relative to Beckman. Then again, relative to Beckman, one might also like any inanimate object as head coach.

I'm in Phoenix and played golf today with two guys from central Illinois here to watch Cubs spring training (and play golf). They said they really dislike Groce and want him gone, and they're worried that Illinois will keep him if they make the tourney. A frustrated fan base, for sure.

To me, Groce has made himself an easy target for a lot of fans to dislike. From his sideline demeanor and many questionable in-game decisions,, to the fact that he couldn't figure out a proper player rotation until recently, leaving talent like Lucas and, to a lesser extent Nichols to rot on the bench while guys like Tracy Abrams literally shot the Illini out of winnable games, it all screams to me that he is in over his head outside of the recruiting trail.

The fact that he had to go on a winning streak in the BIG of the likes the Illini have not seen in years just to get out of the bottom 4 with TWO sixth-year seniors, a surefire NBA player, and all the young talent that he has, would tell any AD with a pulse that he is not going to "turn it around" after getting chances in multiple seasons to do so. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE for him to stick around for yet another sub-.500 BIG season, but the new AD does not strike me as someone who will accept such mediocrity. I am confident he will not be making the Dance this year, and that he will be gone.

Perhaps they like Lovie relative to Beckman. Then again, relative to Beckman, one might also like any inanimate object as head coach.
My impression was that they're still optimistic about Lovie because he's been there only one season. Another 3-9 season, and they'll be grumbling.

Also, don't forget about Cubit in there in 2015 between Beckman and Lovie. There were some signs of improvement with him, but then he was jettisoned by the new AD in favor of Lovie.

My impression was that they're still optimistic about Lovie because he's been there only one season. Another 3-9 season, and they'll be grumbling.

Schedule is far, far easier next year; doubt they go 3-9. They actually had a tough draw this past season in noncon with Western Michigan and Carolina, no such teams with a pulse in the noncon next year. Actually have a decent shot at a 4-0 start with a home opener vs. a Nebby team that will be be QB'd by a redshirt frosh or a guy who was an interception machine at Tulane (?!?)

Schedule is far, far easier next year; doubt they go 3-9. They actually had a tough draw this past season in noncon with Western Michigan and Carolina, no such teams with a pulse in the noncon next year. Actually have a decent shot at a 4-0 start with a home opener vs. a Nebby team that will be be QB'd by a redshirt frosh or a guy who was an interception machine at Tulane (?!?)
That's true, but it seemed to me like they were a more competitive team in 2015 under Cubit. Maybe it'll build their confidence this year if they start the season with some wins against easier competition.

Well, the AD hired a former Bears coach for football. Maybe for basketball he'll hire a former Bulls coach, heh heh.

Well, the AD hired a former Bears coach for football. Maybe for basketball he'll hire a former Bulls coach, heh heh.

You may be on to something here, but I suspect Doug Collins would decline the offer. I believe Scott Skiles is available though....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT