ADVERTISEMENT

I'm thankful for an elite defense and Pat, and who needs advanced stats...

GeorgiaCat

Sep 23, 2001
When you have an elite defense, you don't need a good offense, just one that is serviceable. I'm ok with that. Now the definition of serviceable is up for debate, but in my opinion it is one that does just enough.

Further, I find the advanced stats to be a waste of time and they make my brain hurt. I like the good old fashioned stats like those you can find on cfbstats.com. For the old school guy, this is a treasure trove of information.

Go look at the national team defense stats. Almost without fail, you will find NU in the top 20-25 (or close) of all the relevant stats, eg, scoring, yards allowed, rushing yards allowed, passing yards allowed, TDs allowed, red zone defense, 3rd down defense, tackles for loss, limiting big plays.

In Northwestern's nine wins, the defense has surrendered an average of 11.7 points per game. You don't need a ton of offense to win games giving up 11.7 points per game. Our two losses? 39 points per game. You need Baylor's offense to win those games. In our nine wins, we only gave up more than 20 points twice (Nebraska and Penn State). And in both those cases, the defense or special teams lent the offense a hand with a TD.

So elite defense + good special teams + serviceable offense = 9 wins and counting. Not to mention, only the fifth NU season since 1904 with 9+ wins. And as I posted earlier in the week, which got very little interest because everybody was arguing about how bad our offense is or how lucky we are or firing McCall or debating Henry Bushnell's merits, Pat Fitzgerald has a part in all five seasons since 1904 with 9+ wins. Two of them as a player, and three of them as a coach. How about some appreciation for that.

I'm thankful for an elite defense. I am thankful for Pat Fitzgerald. And I am thankful to be an NU alum with a football team full of players that represent the university very well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT