ADVERTISEMENT

Impact of Washington's win over Colorado on Northwestern's Likely Bowl Opponent in Foster Farms Bowl

Alaskawildkat

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2005
For those who have been following the Pac-12, out of which our opponent in the Foster Farms Bowl will be selected (assuming that is to be our bowl), which team now is most likely to play the Wildcats?

My guess is that Washington, with its convincing 41 to 10 win over Colorado, is now a lock to play in the National Championship Game and that USC will head to a bowl higher in the pecking order than Foster Farms - which itself is great news for the Wildcats. USC is the one Pac-12 team I think we would match up against the worst and without them as the opponent I could see the Foster Farms' selection committee even more inclined to invite Northwestern assuming they share that view.

As the loser of the Pac-12 Championship is Colorado guaranteed a slot in a particular bowl?

With Washington headed to the Championship Game, another Pac-12 team in one of the New Years' 6, (which might even be USC?) and assuming that Holiday is the Pac-12's next selecting bowl, that should now have the 4th best Pac-12 team playing in the Foster, rather than the 3rd best. If that is not Colorado then it would likely be Washington State, Utah or even Stanford?

(As to Colorado, question whether Colorado will continue to be competitive if their starting quarterback cannot recover from his twisted ankle injury within the next few weeks?)

I still hope we go to the Pinstripe.

GO CATS!

OK, any ramifications then for Northwestern for NU playing in the Pinstripe consequent from Washington locking up one of the four National Championship slots? Assuming Clemson wins tomorrow we already have the 4 Championship teams identified: Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson and Washington. How does that impact the pecking order downward? Odds are that winner of the B1G Championship and at least one other B1G team will be spoken for before the next lower tier starting with the Outback begins to choose. Assuming Wisconsin wins the B1G and Michigan fills the other slot that could have Penn State in the Outback, yes? Iowa and Nebraska would get the Music City and/or Holiday. The Pinstripe then picks next with all those other teams off the table so they have NU, Indiana, and Maryland as their options.

In view of the above does Washington's win, and taking away of another B1G slot in the National Championship games, enhance, decrease, or have no impact on the Pinstripe picking Northwestern?

OK, any ramifications then for Northwestern for NU playing in the Pinstripe consequent from Washington locking up one of the four National Championship slots? Assuming Clemson wins tomorrow we already have the 4 Championship teams identified: Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson and Washington. How does that impact the pecking order downward? Odds are that winner of the B1G Championship and at least one other B1G team will be spoken for before the next lower tier starting with the Outback begins to choose. Assuming Wisconsin wins the B1G and Michigan fills the other slot that could have Penn State in the Outback, yes? Iowa and Nebraska would get the Music City and/or Holiday. The Pinstripe then picks next with all those other teams off the table so they have NU, Indiana, and Maryland as their options.

In view of the above does Washington's win, and taking away of another B1G slot in the National Championship games, enhance, decrease, or have no impact on the Pinstripe picking Northwestern?

I don't think it has any impact. The B1G will have 4 teams in the NY6 no matter what. Iowa, Nebby and Minny get a better bowl than we do. We are anywhere between 8-10 in the B1G pecking order. I think the FF is a bad match up for us as we would likely play Wazzu or Utah. I like our chances against GA Tech, BC, Miami or even Pitt better.

Our performance against Army several years ago makes me worry about Georgia Tech as does Pitt's offense so I hope we get Miami in NYC.

If we go to FF then I hope we draw Stanford . WSU's passing offense and our return to "soft" coverage is not a good match up. I do not know anything about Utah

I don't think it has any impact. The B1G will have 4 teams in the NY6 no matter what. Iowa, Nebby and Minny get a better bowl than we do. We are anywhere between 8-10 in the B1G pecking order. I think the FF is a bad match up for us as we would likely play Wazzu or Utah. I like our chances against GA Tech, BC, Miami or even Pitt better.

Thanks. I see I left out Minny in my list of B1G teams going bowling, but it looks like it remains the same as for our bowl selection since we remain only in competition with Maryland and Indiana. Is there any possible scenario where Northwestern could leapfrog an 8 win team to get to the Holiday or Music City?

Or more hypothetically likely, is there any way that even one more BiG team could move up so that there would be a vacancy at either the Holiday or Music City Bowl?

Last edited:
Why are you assuming Foster farms?

I see NU lobbying for Foster Farms for several reasons.

1st, the game time is in the evening and will be a more watched game due to its Prime Time slot. Being on Fox may also be a positive in terms of maximizing eyes.

2nd, a bowl game on the West Coast has a greater potential for widening the exposure of Northwestern nationally than one in Michigan or New York where NU is already better known. In addition to promoting the University itself it also affords the opportunity to increase the NU Football program's exposure to recruits in a sector of the United States where NU likely wants to increase its footprint.

3rd, "Some Place Warm" is a much easier sell for the NU Alumni Association and its Bowl Tours to promote (and from which to profit.)

4th, We were told that the Foster Farms Bowl Committee wanted Northwestern in the past but we were not available by the time they had dibs. Incidental to this is that in the past there were NU connections to one or more influential persons making decisions for the Foster Farms Bowl. (This point may be muted though by the Foster Farms Bowl reportedly being "under new management" this year.)

5th, For the Pinstripe Bowl Maryland may be a more attractive B1G participant due to their proximity.

6th, We have never been to a bowl in Northern California, but have been to Detroit.

Last edited:
Zero chance Foster Farms gets USC or Colorado.

Scenario #1: Washington goes Final Four
Rose: USC
Alamo: Colorado
Holiday/Foster Farms/Sun: Utah, Stanford, Wazzu in some order.

Scenario #2: Washington gets bounced from Final Four
Rose: Washington
Alamo: USC
Holiday: Colorado
Foster Farms/Sun/Vegas: Utah, Stanford, Wazzu, in some order.

Our best case scenario if we go to Foster Farms is Wazzu, who will score 50 points on us. Can we score 51?

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
I see NU lobbying for Foster Farms for several reasons.

1st, the game time is in the evening and will be a more watched game due to its Prime Time slot. Being on Fox may also be a positive in terms of maximizing eyes.

2nd, a bowl game on the West Coast has a greater potential for widening the exposure of Northwestern nationally than one in Michigan or New York where NU is already better known. In addition to promoting the University itself it also affords the opportunity to increase the NU Football program's exposure to recruits in a sector of the United States where NU likely wants to increase its footprint.

3rd, "Some Place Warm" is a much easier sell for the NU Alumni Association and its Bowl Tours to promote (and from which to profit.)

4th, Reportedly the Foster Farms Bowl Committee wanted Northwestern in the past but we were not available by the time they had dibs. Incidental to this is that in the past there were NU connections to one or more influential persons making decisions for the Foster Farms Bowl.

5th, For the Pinstripe Bowl Maryland may be a more attractive B1G participant due to their proximity.

6th, We have never been to the Foster Farms, but have been to Detroit.

If it comes down to us or Maryland for Pinstripe, I see Pinstripe taking us. I also see NU presenting itself as a desirable team equally to Foster Farms and Pinstripe. If you think Phillips is doing anything to sabotage NYC taking us if they want us, you're dreaming.

Girardi is the Yankees coach now (for how long?) - there's a natural tie in for him to do some pub, serve as honorary captain, etc. And to any objective onlooker, NU is a better 6-6 than Maryland this year. And if the opponent is (gulp) Pitt, there's also a subplot of Narduzzi playing an old Big Ten foe.

Maryland will still be closer to NYC next year, and the year after that. They also stand to be a better team as Durkin starts to settle in.

If the bowl preference poll results on this website are indicative, it would appear that the fan base is pretty well split between Pinstripe and Foster Farms. It will be interesting if we soon start hearing credible rumors as to the Pinstripe's and Foster Farms' preference now that all the games have been played.

I sincerely hope we don't lobby for the "best" bowl, but instead accept a bid to the most winnable bowl.

I sincerely hope we don't lobby for the "best" bowl, but instead accept a bid to the most winnable bowl.
That would be Quick Lane, and given the recent developments in Bloomington, I'd bet a lot of money we're getting picked ahead of IU...honestly, I see Pinstripe as yielding a better hope for a win than anyone we'd see in Santa Clara.

That would be Quick Lane, and given the recent developments in Bloomington, I'd bet a lot of money we're getting picked ahead of IU...honestly, I see Pinstripe as yielding a better hope for a win than anyone we'd see in Santa Clara.

NYC or Detroit are more likely to yield a win than Santa Clara at this point. I wouldn't want to face Stanford or Wazzu right now (and even then Pitt wouldn't be an awesome matchup).

NYC or Detroit are more likely to yield a win than Santa Clara at this point. I wouldn't want to face Stanford or Wazzu right now (and even then Pitt wouldn't be an awesome matchup).

How do you feel about UNC? That seems to be the popular guess next to Pitt in Pinstripe, with Georgia Tech the potential dark horse...I'd honestly love Tech, if given the option between the three...

GoUPurple over on HailtoPurple.com suggests that the B1G itself may be dictating who goes to Pinstripe/Foster Farms/Quick Lane. As to the placement of B1G teams, the bowls themselves may have less say so this year than in the past.

Elsewhere It has also been noted that the lobbying efforts by the schools are now supposed to be focused on the schools lobbying the B1G offices rather than the bowls directly. Of course that may simply be form over substance.

HailtoPurple:

"However, this season it appears that NU's selection will be based more on the wishes of the conference, rather than straight pecking order. Because of this, there is a greater likelihood that word of the bowl might break sooner than later."

http://hailtopurple.com/cde/bowls.html

Last edited:
How do you feel about UNC? That seems to be the popular guess next to Pitt in Pinstripe, with Georgia Tech the potential dark horse...I'd honestly love Tech, if given the option between the three...

Not great.

Extra points for you if you intended the "option" pun.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT