ADVERTISEMENT

In retrospect...

mybrotha

Jul 21, 2011
I guess being shredded by Goff wasn't that shameful. Whoda' thunk' when he played his first game against us 3 years ago that he would be the first pick of the draft, WOW!

Agreed, but the rest of the defensive secondary was absolutely torched.

No they weren't. I recall Campbell having another pick near the NU endzone. Goff was very good for a true freshman, but he wasn't THAT good.

I think Goff is vastly overrated. I can't believe the Rams took him over Wentz. I'd be willing to bet that Wentz ends up being a superstar and Goff will be nothing more than a mediocre NFL QB.

Agreed, but the rest of the defensive secondary was absolutely torched.
Not really. I was at that game in Berkeley in '13, and the defense did a decent job of containing Goff, especially in the first half. Remember, one of our starting CBs (D. Jones) broke his leg just before halftime, and his replacement (D. White, a RS freshman with basically no game experience at this level) struggled a bit and gave up a couple of big plays. Matt Harris was a true freshman that year, but he saw the field some too in his first game as a 'Cat.

Goff put up some big numbers that game, which happens when you throw the ball 64 times, but I wouldn't say that our secondary was "absolutely torched".

Matt Harris was a true freshman that year, but he saw the field some too in his first game as a 'Cat.

If I remember correctly, Harris got blown up on the opening kick-off, sustained a concussion and didn't play a single down from scrimmage.

Meanwhile, Denver drafted a first round QB to compete against the player who played opposite Goff in the two Cal games. Is this a measure of no confidence against Trevor? I wonder how he'll fare.

If I remember correctly, Harris got blown up on the opening kick-off, sustained a concussion and didn't play a single down from scrimmage.
Yep, that's right, now I remember. Welcome to college football, kid. He's turned out ok, I think.

So that was two CBs that went down with injuries that game. That certainly didn't help in trying to stop a QB like Goff in a system like that.

Harris has had his share of head injuries. Cal 2013, PSU 2014, UM 2015. The last two, he was carted off of the field.

Reactions: FCMj
Meanwhile, Denver drafted a first round QB to compete against the player who played opposite Goff in the two Cal games. Is this a measure of no confidence against Trevor? I wonder how he'll fare.
Relative to his standing at the end of his College career, Trevor has already done very well. You can't expect the Broncos to only carry one QB, they will likely want 3 for the spring and summer just for the bodies. Right now Trevor is the only QB on the squad who knows the system, unless they bring in some other highly regarded QB Trevor will be able to compete with Goff for a while at least. If I had crystal ball I think it would show Trevor as the number 2 at the end of the day. First round draft choices have built in political leverage.

And arguably, we would have won if that no-namer hadn't given them another dimension on offense.

Of the receivers had been able to hold onto the ball better or if McCall had actually used Siemian's legs when they were actually healthy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT