ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana fans

If they insist Boo Buie pushed off on the last shot, are they blind to the fact that the IU player defending him could have been called for a blocking foul as well? It looked to me that Boo lowered his shoulder into him when he wasn't set. That's not an offensive foul at all. If anything, refs should have awarded Boo the and-1, which would have driven the IU fans even more apopleptic. 😂

Bask in their tears, Wildcats fans. Like every other entitled Big Ten fanbase, they expected lowly Northwestern to roll over and the refs to sniff their faded glamor program jocks. I am loving every tweet and post whining about the officiating, how the Cats foul every play, and how all Northwestern students and alumni are nerds. Which is it, are we bullies or nerds? Both, I guess! I was going to tweet how IU only had so many fans in the stands because they are the receptacle institution for all of Chicagoland's UIUC rejects, but thought the better of it. 🤷‍♂️
This is correct. There's a floor-angle shot that clearly shows the defender making contact, and Boo as the low man winning the battle. Play on.

If NU is getting the benefit of favorable Big 10 officiating, why is it they were able to play with the same intensity against Liberty, Auburn and Georgetown and not constantly be in foul trouble? Were those refs favoring NU too?

Stop whining about the officials. Robbie Hummel was on Jordan Sperber's podcast and they were laughing at fans complaining about "Big 10 refs." These guys call games all over the country during the week.

If they insist Boo Buie pushed off on the last shot, are they blind to the fact that the IU player defending him could have been called for a blocking foul as well? It looked to me that Boo lowered his shoulder into him when he wasn't set. That's not an offensive foul at all. If anything, refs should have awarded Boo the and-1, which would have driven the IU fans even more apopleptic. 😂

Bask in their tears, Wildcats fans. Like every other entitled Big Ten fanbase, they expected lowly Northwestern to roll over and the refs to sniff their faded glamor program jocks. I am loving every tweet and post whining about the officiating, how the Cats foul every play, and how all Northwestern students and alumni are nerds. Which is it, are we bullies or nerds? Both, I guess! I was going to tweet how IU only had so many fans in the stands because they are the receptacle institution for all of Chicagoland's UIUC rejects, but thought the better of it. 🤷‍♂️
0% chance a defender gets that call in that situation without very obvious arm extension, which wasn’t there. Boo was absolutely cool as the other side of the pillow all night and looked like his heart rate was about 40 beats per minute that entire last possession, including as he casually released another soft little shot for the win. And they can’t stand it.

To the tune of John Mellencamp's "Rain on the Scarecrow"

Boo pushed on that last shot, moving screens galore
Students yelling curse words with Miller on the floor.
The officiating was so bad, life is so unfair.
Losing to Northwestern is just too much to bear.

Boo pushed on that last shot
Moving screens galore
That ref went to NU
He made the final score
And now we're all just angry
Our butts are all so sore

Push on the last shot
Missed fouls galore
The ref went to NU
He made the final score

Used to be Northwestern couldn't beat a high school team
They recruited nerds from prep schools. They usually got creamed.
Suddenly they're winning games and heading to the Dance
None of it makes sense to me. They don't even have Pete Nance.
It's gotta be an inside job. They get every call.
Two technicals in the first half pretty much says it all.

And students behind the goal yelling expletives all night
The AD needs to say something because I don't think it's right.
I've never seen as much injustice as that game Wednesday night.

There'll be crying on the forums
Blood on the keyboard
Tears on the forums
Blood on the keyboard

Well there's 97 fouls that went uncalled last night
97 moving screens somehow out of sight!
I think about that referee
And conspiracy thoughts emerge
Last night I saw it happen
The Big Ten needs a purge!

Push on the last shot
Missed fouls galore
The ref went to NU
He made the final score

Push on the last shot
Missed fouls galore
Such an abomination
We got jobbed ever more
Now I'm just sorry that my butt is so damn sore

Push on the last shot
Uncalled fouls galore...

Way to take more than a moment and revel man 😂😂😂

Correction: An offensive player "lowering his shoulder into him" is an offensive foul, particularly when the forearm is used to shove off...which was the case on this play.

There is no scenario on this play in which a defensive foul could legitimately be called.

This was one thing and one thing only: an offensive player control foul that should have resulted in IU having the ball on the baseline game tied with five or six seconds to play. The result? Who knows, but what happened was an abortion of the rules.

Hope this helps.

Correction: An offensive player "lowering his shoulder into him" is an offensive foul, particularly when the forearm is used to shove off...which was the case on this play.

There is no scenario on this play in which a defensive foul could legitimately be called.

This was one thing and one thing only: an offensive player control foul that should have resulted in IU having the ball on the baseline game tied with five or six seconds to play. The result? Who knows, but what happened was an abortion of the rules.

Hope this helps.
What would happen if a defender swats away a ball within the cylinder of the basket? Would that be a goaltend?

I don’t know, dude - we lost an NCAA tournament game to Gonzaga when Zach Collins was allowed to goaltend by the refs. Seems last night’s game was preparing us plenty for March.
I feel your pain.

What I am saying is less about a missed call but the systemic way in which the BIG games are allowed to become wrestling matches. It hurts all of us when we get to the tournament. It is unlikely that Zach Edey gets away with what he does in the BIG once he gets to the dance...and that hurts them.

Will NU be able to set moving screens every other posession in the dance? Maybe one game but it will hurt them if they don't adjust.

What would happen if a defender swats away a ball within the cylinder of the basket? Would that be a goaltend?
I would have to see it, but generally...yes.

There was one last night that looked like a goaltend on TJD from one angle. There are bad calls in every game both ways. I am talking about the repetitive stuff that BIG refs either are uneducated about or think is "Ok" becuase the BIG is a physical league.

it hurts us all.

Hope this helps.

You’re an abortion of the rules…(said in high pitched whiny voice)

Hope this helps.
Now, come on guys. I think this Courtsense guy is onto something. Clearly the refs stole this game from Indiana last night. With NU's fanbase of 223 people (I read that on the IU message board, and I trust it), there is a lot of money to be made for the BigTen by appeasing Northwestern with a gift win over Indiana. Plus, I heard that one stupid referee lost his virginity to the lunch lady from Elder Hall. I also heard that the ticket collectors at Welsh Ryan last night secretly inserted a chip into brains of every IU fan in attendance that will allow us to control their minds. Over the next couple weeks, they will get this irresistible urge to think about Boo Buie and consider him the greatest guard they have ever seen. They will find themselves voting for Boo over their own TJD in Player of the Year polls. They will start thinking to themselves... yeah... **** Miller Kopp! They will be asking themselves.... Hoosier Daddy? And then answering... Northwestern is my Daddy!

And then the Big Ten's conspiracy plan will be complete.

But thanks to Courtsense's warning, maybe it's not too late. Maybe we can stop it!!

I would have to see it, but generally...yes.

There was one last night that looked like a goaltend on TJD from one angle. There are bad calls in every game both ways. I am talking about the repetitive stuff that BIG refs either are uneducated about or think is "Ok" becuase the BIG is a physical league.

it hurts us all.
What is a B1G ref? Refs officiate all over the country in various conferences. Refs are not affiliated with any conference in NCAA basketball. So what is a B1G ref? Refs over 6 ft tall?

• Haha
Reactions: IGNORE2
I feel your pain.

What I am saying is less about a missed call but the systemic way in which the BIG games are allowed to become wrestling matches. It hurts all of us when we get to the tournament. It is unlikely that Zach Edey gets away with what he does in the BIG once he gets to the dance...and that hurts them.

Will NU be able to set moving screens every other posession in the dance? Maybe one game but it will hurt them if they don't adjust.
Every other team in the B!G gets away with something when they play IU but when TJD bullies his way to the hoop that's just good basketball. Waaa Waaa Waaa Waaa!!!

Reactions: TejasCat
Now, come on guys. I think this Courtsense guy is onto something. Clearly the refs stole this game from Indiana last night. With NU's fanbase of 223 people (I read that on the IU message board, and I trust it), there is a lot of money to be made for the BigTen by appeasing Northwestern with a gift win over Indiana. Plus, I heard that one stupid referee lost his virginity to the lunch lady from Elder Hall. I also heard that the ticket collectors at Welsh Ryan last night secretly inserted a chip into brains of every IU fan in attendance that will allow us to control their minds. Over the next couple weeks, they will get this irresistible urge to think about Boo Buie and consider him the greatest guard they have ever seen. They will find themselves voting for Boo over their own TJD in Player of the Year polls. They will start thinking to themselves... yeah... **** Miller Kopp! They will be asking themselves.... Hoosier Daddy? And then answering... Northwestern is my Daddy!

And then the Big Ten's conspiracy plan will be complete.

But thanks to Courtsense's warning, maybe it's not too late. Maybe we can stop it!!
You are welcome to challenge anything I post, I only ask that you challenge something that I actually posted and not make crap up.

I never said the refs "stole the game", in fact IU's inability to manage the ball offensively leading to a 20 pt deficite cost IU the game.

My points about the refs are 1: that they stole the opportunity for IU to have the ball at the baseline game tied with 5 or 6 sec to play, and 2: that the officiating in the BIG hurts all of us in the dance when normal rules are followed more consistently.

hope this helps

Usually visiting fans only come over here to troll if they beat us, so this new.

Oh, maybe he's here because of the "moral victory" cuz of the refs and all!

I have been to a lot of NU games over the years and have never been around a whinier, more obnoxious fan base. They complained about the officiating constantly throughout the game. I get being upset by Buie's last shot and whether or not it was a push. They have a right to at least question that one. But I heard comments like that after the FIRST HALF, when NU kicked their ass in every phase of the game. Fans, and even IU media members in the media room were blaming it all on the refs. "Trayce is getting fouled on every play." "The refs obviously want Northwestern to win." They gave no credit to Northwestern for a sublime first half. There was no accountability for IU making just six shots or letting NU's offense get any shot it wanted for the entire half. It was all the refs' fault. And the refs amazingly didn't miss any calls in IU's favor; every call benefited NU. (By the way, in the final tally, the refs called 13 fouls against Indiana and 16 against Northwestern. IU was awarded 20 free throws, NU 14.)

Maybe the ugliest thing I saw was a group of IU fans who got into a verbal altercation with one NU student journalist in the press row in the first half. I have no idea what it was about, how it started or what was said. I was on the other end of the row, pretty far away from it. There was pointing and yelling back back and forth. But this one IU fan -- a guy in his mid to late 20s, probably a recent grad -- stood up, beer in hand, and just started pointing and screaming at the kid, "You're a geek! You're a geek! You're a geek!" at the top of his lungs, over and over and over again. It went on for an unbelievably long time, to the point where his buddies next to him just sat down and stayed quiet. Media members should never get into arguments with fans in the first place, but that was an indicator of the vitriol level of a frustrated, pissed off IU fan base, looking for a scapegoat. Their beloved Hoosiers were getting beat -- again -- by little old Northwestern, and they couldn't take it.
I also had a nose to nose discussion with a boilermaker sitting next to me courtside. I doubt he will be courtside for any NU games any time soon

You are welcome to challenge anything I post, I only ask that you challenge something that I actually posted and not make crap up.

I never said the refs "stole the game", in fact IU's inability to manage the ball offensively leading to a 20 pt deficite cost IU the game.

My points about the refs are 1: that they stole the opportunity for IU to have the ball at the baseline game tied with 5 or 6 sec to play, and 2: that the officiating in the BIG hurts all of us in the dance when normal rules are followed more consistently.

hope this helps

If we hadn't let off the gas pedal after going up 20 you wouldn't even be here.

Also which loss stung more this or at home?

hope this helps
Oh great! Now this guy is accusing us of stealing their women because we are so much better looking. We can't help that we're so good looking, but we aren't stealing your women!

Reactions: AdamOnFirst
If we hadn't let off the gas pedal after going up 20 you wouldn't even be here.

Also which loss stung more this or at home?
Two different ways to lose obviously.

Both losses were on IU's inability to manage the offensive side of the ball vs NU's tenacious D.

We just need to get X back and race healthy with a few games to integrate before the dance. The BTT will be very important for IU...not becuase of the chance to win it but becuse of the need to readjust with X back.

Just trying to educate some folks here that are either blinded by bias or unaware of what they are looking at.
Because, of course, there is some immutable law that proves that, you know, NU can’t ever be better than your team…. Thanks for reminding us.

Last edited:
Reactions: MotownMedilldo

hope this helps
Good grief.

Now that I am old and like to shout at clouds, I can say that in this crazy woke world we look more and more to governments, regulators, and officiators to eliminate every vestige of discomfort and injustice from our puny, self-absorbed lives. God forbid we suffer just a bit in competitive sports, where officiating is subjective, guys play tough/dirty, and $hit happens.

I would much rather have games under-officiated than over-officiated.

At some point, you just get over it, accept that life is imperfect and injustice happens, and you move on. My 12-year old son was fighting for a loose ball and got hip-tossed onto his head and mildly concussed. I wasn't happy, but if I had your worldview I would calling the school master, the AG, and Joe Rogan to try to rid the world of all the bad things that might happen.

Now get off my lawn.

Last edited:
I feel your pain.

This dude worrying about what he's gonna do when ge gets to third... but he grounded out 4-3.

I never said the refs "stole the game", in fact NUs stifling defense IU's inability to manage the ball offensively leading led to a 20 pt deficite. cost IU the game. And then NUs inability to hit wide open 3s in the 2nd half allowed IU to get back in it.

hope this helps
FIFY.... There's nothing worse than a whiny fan who gives no credit to the team that beat his/her team.

Two different ways to lose obviously.

Both losses were on IU's inability to manage the offensive side of the ball vs NU's tenacious D.

We just need to get X back and race healthy with a few games to integrate before the dance. The BTT will be very important for IU...not becuase of the chance to win it but becuse of the need to readjust with X back.
The same X that IU fans have bitched about constantly over 2 years because of his constant turning over of the ball and all of his perceived deficiencies? Now he's the missing piece?

The same X that IU fans have bitched about constantly over 2 years because of his constant turning over of the ball and all of his perceived deficiencies? Now he's the missing piece?
X is shitty AF at being a PG.

He's good at other things. Pretty good defender for example. Also good at eating edibles I heard.

You are wrong again. they have primary affiliations.
Don Daily worked last night's game. He has worked 45 games this season since the beginning of B1G conference play. 11 of them were B1G conference games, 4 involving Indiana. Before last night's game his most recent B1G game was 1/22.

That's all I was allowed to see before hitting the paywall. I can continue doing your research and I'm very good, but I'm also very expensive.

To the tune of John Mellencamp's "Rain on the Scarecrow"

Boo pushed on that last shot, moving screens galore
Students yelling curse words with Miller on the floor.
The officiating was so bad, life is so unfair.
Losing to Northwestern is just too much to bear.

Boo pushed on that last shot
Moving screens galore
That ref went to NU
He made the final score
And now we're all just angry
Our butts are all so sore

Push on the last shot
Missed fouls galore
The ref went to NU
He made the final score

Used to be Northwestern couldn't beat a high school team
They recruited nerds from prep schools. They usually got creamed.
Suddenly they're winning games and heading to the Dance
None of it makes sense to me. They don't even have Pete Nance.
It's gotta be an inside job. They get every call.
Two technicals in the first half pretty much says it all.

And students behind the goal yelling expletives all night
The AD needs to say something because I don't think it's right.
I've never seen as much injustice as that game Wednesday night.

There'll be crying on the forums
Blood on the keyboard
Tears on the forums
Blood on the keyboard

Well there's 97 fouls that went uncalled last night
97 moving screens somehow out of sight!
I think about that referee
And conspiracy thoughts emerge
Last night I saw it happen
The Big Ten needs a purge!

Push on the last shot
Missed fouls galore
The ref went to NU
He made the final score

Push on the last shot
Missed fouls galore
Such an abomination
We got jobbed ever more
Now I'm just sorry that my butt is so damn sore

Push on the last shot
Uncalled fouls galore...
PS-John Cougar Mellaencamp- born and raised in Indiana. Still has a home there. One of my favorite performers. See him perform live if you ever have the opportunity.

“Rain on the scarecrow blood on the plow
This land fed a nation this land made me so proud
And son I'm just sorry they're just memories for you now
Rain on the scarecrow blood on the plow
Rain on the scarecrow blood on the plow”

Maybe the Indiana fans have been living too long on their memories of the previous era of basketball program success from prior decades. “Blood on the plow.”

IU fans are the worst. Even their own players hate them. And they hate their players. Bunch of losers.

Screen-Shot-2023-01-10-at-6.17.42-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2023-01-10-at-6.17.14-PM.png
Is this real life?

Reactions: NJcatsfan

Hope this helps.

Love the certitude, but Boo's entire body was low, so he didn't lower his shoulder.

As others have said, the Nebraska of Big Ten Basketball. Has-beens stuck several decades in the past wearing silly red overalls.
Damn, I should have trademarked ™️ that Nebraska phrase when I had it, like Smithee with the him+Ryan donations

Hope this helps.
You are a hoot. Really. You are not so sure about the goaltending (which was crystal clear by the way and resulted in a 5 point swing) and “there are bad calls in every game” but this was an abortion of the rules. I have watched it several times now and can’t tell if the defender’s torso is facing the opponent or if Buie pushed off. He’s allowed to turn his shoulder to the basket. It’s a tough call and one that I don’t think they should make at the end of a game unless it’s crystal clear like the goaltending.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT