ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana fans

The officiating was sloppy and was not biased for any one team. Where was the obvious call on the egregious goal tend "block" by TJD on Big Matt when the ball was clearly in the cylinder of the rim? That gave me bad flashbacks to the Gonzage non-call in the NCAA game. Another one that comes to mind is when Galloway was trying to dribble around Berry and stepped on another player's foot, causing him to lose his footing and bump into Berry -- foul called on Berry. Rigged!
Don't forget the charge that was called a blocking foul on Buie early in the game . He was clearly set long before about 2-3 feet outside the restricted area. There were plenty of bad calls that went against NU. Were there calls that went the other way? Sure. Generally there are misses that go both ways

To the tune of John Mellencamp's "Rain on the Scarecrow"

Boo pushed on that last shot, moving screens galore
Students yelling curse words with Miller on the floor.
The officiating was so bad, life is so unfair.
Losing to Northwestern is just too much to bear.

Boo pushed on that last shot
Moving screens galore
That ref went to NU
He made the final score
And now we're all just angry
Our butts are all so sore

Push on the last shot
Missed fouls galore
The ref went to NU
He made the final score

Used to be Northwestern couldn't beat a high school team
They recruited nerds from prep schools. They usually got creamed.
Suddenly they're winning games and heading to the Dance
None of it makes sense to me. They don't even have Pete Nance.
It's gotta be an inside job. They get every call.
Two technicals in the first half pretty much says it all.

And students behind the goal yelling expletives all night
The AD needs to say something because I don't think it's right.
I've never seen as much injustice as that game Wednesday night.

There'll be crying on the forums
Blood on the keyboard
Tears on the forums
Blood on the keyboard

Well there's 97 fouls that went uncalled last night
97 moving screens somehow out of sight!
I think about that referee
And conspiracy thoughts emerge
Last night I saw it happen
The Big Ten needs a purge!

Push on the last shot
Missed fouls galore
The ref went to NU
He made the final score

Push on the last shot
Missed fouls galore
Such an abomination
We got jobbed ever more
Now I'm just sorry that my butt is so damn sore

Push on the last shot
Missed calls galore...
Wow that’s a heck of a job! Impressive use of pacing and rhythm.

• Love
Reactions: Hungry Jack
I think because if you determine it was goaltending the ball should be taken out of bounds, which can’t happen after the fact. Nothing changes with changing a 2 to a 3.
That's what came to my mind. And yet, it seems to be fairer to award the goaltending on the next timeout, than just letting it go. It does not correct everything but doing nothing penalizes the robbed team more.

Reactions: drewjin
IU fans had a lot...a lot to bitch about. If you understand the game, it was not whining...it was bitching, and it was and still is legit.

The moving screens were astonishing. We (BIG) need to educate our officials on what moving screens are and get them called.

The game was a wrestling match and this type of officiating is killing our entire league in the tournament. Northwestern does not benefit in the tournament by being allowed to play this way all season.
Oh please. IU fans have been bitching since the Bobby Knight era. The B1G has been a very physical conference for the past 50 years, and Purdue and IU have often been two of the more physical teams in it. If you watch the Big 12, the best league in the country this season, it certainly ain't all finesse. So there's one way of officiating for Indiana and Purdue and another for the rest of the league? Bull. Maryland schooled Purdue last night, the Boilers shot 15 percent from the three-point line, and they were STILL whining about the officials. They think NCAA tourney teams will go easy on Edey? Good luck with that.

Last edited:
I have been to a lot of NU games over the years and have never been around a whinier, more obnoxious fan base. They complained about the officiating constantly throughout the game. I get being upset by Buie's last shot and whether or not it was a push. They have a right to at least question that one. But I heard comments like that after the FIRST HALF, when NU kicked their ass in every phase of the game. Fans, and even IU media members in the media room were blaming it all on the refs. "Trayce is getting fouled on every play." "The refs obviously want Northwestern to win." They gave no credit to Northwestern for a sublime first half. There was no accountability for IU making just six shots or letting NU's offense get any shot it wanted for the entire half. It was all the refs' fault. And the refs amazingly didn't miss any calls in IU's favor; every call benefited NU. (By the way, in the final tally, the refs called 13 fouls against Indiana and 16 against Northwestern. IU was awarded 20 free throws, NU 14.)

Maybe the ugliest thing I saw was a group of IU fans who got into a verbal altercation with one NU student journalist in the press row in the first half. I have no idea what it was about, how it started or what was said. I was on the other end of the row, pretty far away from it. There was pointing and yelling back back and forth. But this one IU fan -- a guy in his mid to late 20s, probably a recent grad -- stood up, beer in hand, and just started pointing and screaming at the kid, "You're a geek! You're a geek! You're a geek!" at the top of his lungs, over and over and over again. It went on for an unbelievably long time, to the point where his buddies next to him just sat down and stayed quiet. Media members should never get into arguments with fans in the first place, but that was an indicator of the vitriol level of a frustrated, pissed off IU fan base, looking for a scapegoat. Their beloved Hoosiers were getting beat -- again -- by little old Northwestern, and they couldn't take it.
This whole thing reminds me of a football game my local high school played quite a few years ago. We won a wild game by something like a 31-28, score, pushing over the winning score in the last minute. Fans of the other team said our running back didn't get in and went ballistic. They bombarded the regional newspaper with letters for weeks after that, saying the referees were incompetent and their school was cheated out of win. Our district's athletic officials, not wanting to stir up a hornet's nest, tried to stay out of it, but the vitriol went on for weeks. Finally the district PIAA office had taken enough. They said that not only had our kid crossed the goal line, but they had conclusive video evidence that he'd done so, and then they did something remarkable for a state-related athletic association.. They said all the uproar was hurting our kids and added in clear language that the fan base of the opposing team should basically just SHUT UP. I don't think I'd ever seen anything like it up to that time.

Now, come on guys. I think this Courtsense guy is onto something. Clearly the refs stole this game from Indiana last night. With NU's fanbase of 223 people (I read that on the IU message board, and I trust it), there is a lot of money to be made for the BigTen by appeasing Northwestern with a gift win over Indiana. Plus, I heard that one stupid referee lost his virginity to the lunch lady from Elder Hall. I also heard that the ticket collectors at Welsh Ryan last night secretly inserted a chip into brains of every IU fan in attendance that will allow us to control their minds. Over the next couple weeks, they will get this irresistible urge to think about Boo Buie and consider him the greatest guard they have ever seen. They will find themselves voting for Boo over their own TJD in Player of the Year polls. They will start thinking to themselves... yeah... **** Miller Kopp! They will be asking themselves.... Hoosier Daddy? And then answering... Northwestern is my Daddy!

And then the Big Ten's conspiracy plan will be complete.

But thanks to Courtsense's warning, maybe it's not too late. Maybe we can stop it!!
Why?

I’ve found lots of IU fans to be pleasant in the past. When they’ve been good (by their standards in recent years/decades), and they win, they’re friendly/arrogant. Pat on the head. When they’re down, they gripe a lot about their team, which is fair game. But this year, they can kinda taste the glory years a little, so their latent blue blood entitlement is bubbling to the surface. And they cannot HANDLE that Northwestern has swept them. It must be a conspiracy. It’s all so unfair. How rude the students are, etc.

They expect NU to be a nice little team to play, in a nice, tame little venue. Neither thing is true this year, and they simultaneously have elevated expectations, so some of the ugliness is spilling out. To me, it’s fun. We are playing with house money, the season is special, and the vitriol is a nice change of pace from the patronizing indifference.
It is nice to be hated

To the tune of John Mellencamp's "Rain on the Scarecrow"

Boo pushed on that last shot, moving screens galore
Students yelling curse words with Miller on the floor.
The officiating was so bad, life is so unfair.
Losing to Northwestern is just too much to bear.

Boo pushed on that last shot
Moving screens galore
That ref went to NU
He made the final score
And now we're all just angry
Our butts are all so sore

Push on the last shot
Missed fouls galore
The ref went to NU
He made the final score

Used to be Northwestern couldn't beat a high school team
They recruited nerds from prep schools. They usually got creamed.
Suddenly they're winning games and heading to the Dance
None of it makes sense to me. They don't even have Pete Nance.
It's gotta be an inside job. They get every call.
Two technicals in the first half pretty much says it all.

And students behind the goal yelling expletives all night
The AD needs to say something because I don't think it's right.
I've never seen as much injustice as that game Wednesday night.

There'll be crying on the forums
Blood on the keyboard
Tears on the forums
Blood on the keyboard

Well there's 97 fouls that went uncalled last night
97 moving screens somehow out of sight!
I think about that referee
And conspiracy thoughts emerge
Last night I saw it happen
The Big Ten needs a purge!

Push on the last shot
Missed fouls galore
The ref went to NU
He made the final score

Push on the last shot
Missed fouls galore
Such an abomination
We got jobbed ever more
Now I'm just sorry that my butt is so damn sore

Push on the last shot
Missed calls galore...
Classic

You are welcome to challenge anything I post, I only ask that you challenge something that I actually posted and not make crap up.

I never said the refs "stole the game", in fact IU's inability to manage the ball offensively leading to a 20 pt deficite cost IU the game.

My points about the refs are 1: that they stole the opportunity for IU to have the ball at the baseline game tied with 5 or 6 sec to play, and 2: that the officiating in the BIG hurts all of us in the dance when normal rules are followed more consistently.

hope this helps
You are sure implying it

Where have I been less than gracious?

I never whined or stated that the officiating cost IU the game...not once.

IU and NU's tenacious D cost IU the game. IU failed to match it.

I have been complimentary of the NU team, didn't blame all NU fans for the vulgarity, stated my concerns for all BIG teams in the dance and tried to help some here with low BBIQ levels to more objectively understand what they were looking at.

I will leave you all to your thoughts.

Good luck the rest of the season, I will be in Chi for the BTT and look forward to meeting some good NU fans.

CS2 Out
Ya, right...

Reactions: drewjin
7bl3py.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT