ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana irritated at Big Ten over Citrus Bowl snub

Not a good look. We’ve been snubbed many times. The appropriate way to respond is to win and strengthen your case the next time. I can understand expressing frustration after bowl selection but pulling this kind of move the day before the game just tells the Outback Bowl it’s not a good enough game for you, and you don’t appear thankful to be there.

Not a good look. We’ve been snubbed many times. The appropriate way to respond is to win and strengthen your case the next time. I can understand expressing frustration after bowl selection but pulling this kind of move the day before the game just tells the Outback Bowl it’s not a good enough game for you, and you don’t appear thankful to be there.
... and the Outback Bowl committee will remember that, and IU will find themselves in the Redbox Bowl next time.

Wow ... that's seriously childish, especially for a team that hasn't won a bowl game in 30 years.

I think I'll be rooting for Ole Miss to make it 31.
Not me. Indy might be temporarily annoying, but they are not a criminal program.
Also -yawn - what's the difference really? It's not like you are playing on December 28th on a channel that no one gets

It is a joke that both Florida and UGA got NY6 bowls.

Agreed...but why complain go out and complain about your own conference?

It’s clear the selection committee shares Dabo’s Sweeny’s cavalier attitude toward the season. They wanted to punish the BIG for delaying their start and IU took the hit.

In addition to Florida, three loss UNC has no business playing in the NY6, but Mack Brown is one of the good ole boys so there you have it.

Last edited:
Some of their fans were complaining about Fitz winning the Bobby Dodd award over Tom Allen. Just two words to say ... hotty toddy!!

• Haha
Reactions: drewjin and Rebel_
Jesus. You are playing a 4-5 team in a bowl game. Have some class, stop bitching and win your game by a large margin. God help you if you lose after your public tantrum.

is it bad that I’m kinda rooting against them now

would be so sweet to see this stunt backfire

Reactions: zbag51
It is ridiculous. Snubbed was the Cats in 2001 when the Citrus/Capital One let a Michigan team we beat jump us.
We also got snubbed by the Outback that year to end up in San Antonio. And a few years later, we again got snubbed by the Citrus to end up against Auburn in the Outback.
Grow up Indiana. Maybe not so ridiculous to be passed over by a division champion? At least we could be justified that way. Oh, and thanks for the QB!

We also got snubbed by the Outback that year to end up in San Antonio. And a few years later, we again got snubbed by the Citrus to end up against Auburn in the Outback.
Grow up Indiana. Maybe not so ridiculous to be passed over by a division champion? At least we could be justified that way. Oh, and thanks for the QB!
NU has the ultimate snub, having once played in something called the “TicketCity.com Bowl”.

Reactions: Noah121
Cheers to IU for not eating sh*t and acting as though they like the taste of it. Outback is a quality bowl game but I respect them to not lying down and acting like they should be grateful for the bid. Tom Allen strikes me as a total bro douche but I also love his swagger and he was surely in on this decision.

Based on precedent, I've always felt that the Citrus Bowl was the agreed-upon destination for SEC and B1G Division champs who do not make NY6, but that's not written anywhere so again, respect to IU for not lying down...now it's up to them to win Outback in a blowout and prove they deserve more respect.

PS - Also pretty funny watching the inmates run the asylum more and more now that Delany is in retirement. He wouldn't have stood for half of the stuff that programs have pulled this season if he were still charge. I think Kevin Warren is still on page three of "College Conference Commissionering for Dummies."

Cheers to IU for not eating sh*t and acting as though they like the taste of it. Outback is a quality bowl game but I respect them to not lying down and acting like they should be grateful for the bid. Tom Allen strikes me as a total bro douche but I also love his swagger and he was surely in on this decision.

Based on precedent, I've always felt that the Citrus Bowl was the agreed-upon destination for SEC and B1G Division champs who do not make NY6, but that's not written anywhere so again, respect to IU for not lying down...now it's up to them to win Outback in a blowout and prove they deserve more respect.

Eh I think the better course of action is to not air bowl dissatisfaction publicly. What are they trying to accomplish?

Life is not always fair, and it’s far from ideal. Sh!t happens. Deal with it and worry about what you control.
Cliche. Cliche. Cliche.

I’m rooting for IU to lose embarrassingly after this stunt. What a bunch of babies.

Eh I think the better course of action is to not air bowl dissatisfaction publicly. What are they trying to accomplish?
Well...I think they are literally in the midst of accomplishing it - shining a light on how f'd up the whole system is.

They were a Top 12, Power 5 team and basically got pushed out (arguably three pegs "down") to make room for North Carolina because...a bunch of mostly old white men got together in a room and settled on the NY6 games people would most want to see, based on a loose set of rules that are barely written down for the sake of accountability?

I don't blame anyone for arguing in favor of a true meritocracy. And remember we had this conversation because in any given year Northwestern could just as easily find itself in IU's current situation, we just happened to be in a somewhat fortunate position as the B1G West champs.

The whole ranking process is SO very subjective. It’s an impossible task without head to head play. So all sorts of biases creep into something that starts off as being as clear as mud. And we all understand the money side. It’s as much about viewers / dollars as anything.

Reactions: drewjin
Well...I think they are literally in the midst of accomplishing it - shining a light on how f'd up the whole system is.

They were a Top 12, Power 5 team and basically got pushed out (arguably three pegs "down") to make room for North Carolina because...a bunch of mostly old white men got together in a room and settled on the NY6 games people would most want to see, based on a loose set of rules that are barely written down for the sake of accountability?

I don't blame anyone for arguing in favor of a true meritocracy. And remember we had this conversation because in any given year Northwestern could just as easily find itself in IU's current situation, we just happened to be in a somewhat fortunate position as the B1G West champs.
We’ve been there. We’ve complained. We also came back for more bowls. We also started winning those bowls. And we traveled well.

one thing we didn’t do was take the conference logo off our uniforms.

And remember we had this conversation because in any given year Northwestern could just as easily find itself in IU's current situation, we just happened to be in a somewhat fortunate position as the B1G West champs.
Not a “fortunate position.” We were the West champion. We have learned this lesson over the years. Best way to avoid being jumped is to win something tangible - your division at least, if not the conference. That, and win a couple bowl games.

Reactions: NUCat320
We’ve been there. We’ve complained. We also came back for more bowls. We also started winning those bowls. And we traveled well.

one thing we didn’t do was take the conference logo off our uniforms.
I see this as being a simple, symbolic act of defiance. It's not Tom Allen sh*tting on the conference during a presser, nor it is the players saying anything on social media.

Put yourself in their shoes. They should have been playing in the conference championship game based on the rules all the presidents agreed upon earlier this season...then they were "amended" to accommodate Ohio State. Then IU finished in the Top 12 CFP rankings and still got pushed out - not by one slot - but by two ("down" to Outback) because this year the league office decided to actually honor the unspoken "Division champ losers go to Citrus" rule. Sometimes you gotta make some noise. Personally, I'm fine with it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT