ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana irritated at Big Ten over Citrus Bowl snub

I see this as being a simple, symbolic act of defiance. It's not Tom Allen sh*tting on the conference during a presser, nor it is the players saying anything on social media.

Put yourself in their shoes. They should have been playing in the conference championship game based on the rules all the presidents agreed upon earlier this season...then they were "amended" to accommodate Ohio State. Then IU finished in the Top 12 CFP rankings and still got pushed out - not by one slot - but by two ("down" to Outback) because this year the league office decided to actually honor the unspoken "Division champ losers go to Citrus" rule. Sometimes you gotta make some noise. Personally, I'm fine with it.
Sounds like they should definitely take care of business tomorrow. I hope they do. Let’s see if they do.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Northwestern has built its football brand over 25 years.

That's why we got the Citrus bid over IU.

Division titles recently, Big Ten titles before that, a lot of bowls attended and won. We've gotten better at selling our bowl tickets too but that didn't matter for this year.

That's why we got the bid. We have all that and they don’t.

BTW, if we had beaten Michigan State, we absolutely would have gotten a NY6 bid as a 7-1 team.

That's the difference between where our two programs are.

Let's not be too harsh. Indiana has no Dark Ages or 1995 experiences to temper their outrage. For me, the former offers deep appreciation for any bowl that takes NU while the latter allows a recognition that distinctions among non-Tier 1 bowls are largely meaningless. Longstanding mediocrity - as compared to mind numbing failure followed by moments of breathtaking brilliance - is the father of shallow perspective. Voila

Reactions: Artie M.
I see this as being a simple, symbolic act of defiance. It's not Tom Allen sh*tting on the conference during a presser, nor it is the players saying anything on social media.

Put yourself in their shoes. They should have been playing in the conference championship game based on the rules all the presidents agreed upon earlier this season...then they were "amended" to accommodate Ohio State. Then IU finished in the Top 12 CFP rankings and still got pushed out - not by one slot - but by two ("down" to Outback) because this year the league office decided to actually honor the unspoken "Division champ losers go to Citrus" rule. Sometimes you gotta make some noise. Personally, I'm fine with it.

Yeah this is pretty much what my buddy who went to IU has been saying.

Still, they better not lose.

Is there any actual proof that the league office intervened?

Just feels obvious to me that Indiana would get passed here, especially after Penix injury.

Citrus passing Indiana up for us is just a relative indication of where our two programs are.

Putting myself in their shoes, I get it. Putting myself back in my shoes, I'd still like to make fun of them for it.

There are two reasons why Indiana is upset at the Big Ten. The first was the rule change that took them out of the championship game. The second is the Big Ten pressure on the Citrus Bowl to select the championship game loser regardless of the availability of other Big Ten teams. They probably feel the conference should have given them the Citrus bowl game because they should have been in the conference championship game. Still, it would have been better for them to wait until after the Outback bowl to complain. It is a bit childish to remove the conference logo.

In addition to Florida, three loss UNC has no business playing in the NY6, but Mack Brown is one of the good ole boys so there you have it.
They were a Top 12, Power 5 team and basically got pushed out (arguably three pegs "down") to make room for North Carolina because...a bunch of mostly old white men got together in a room and settled on the NY6 games people would most want to see, based on a loose set of rules that are barely written down for the sake of accountability?

The ACC has an auto bid to the Orange Bowl that goes to the highest non-playoff team in the CFB playoff rankings

Reactions: HawkCat
Well...I think they are literally in the midst of accomplishing it - shining a light on how f'd up the whole system is.

They were a Top 12, Power 5 team and basically got pushed out (arguably three pegs "down") to make room for North Carolina because...a bunch of mostly old white men got together in a room and settled on the NY6 games people would most want to see, based on a loose set of rules that are barely written down for the sake of accountability?

I don't blame anyone for arguing in favor of a true meritocracy. And remember we had this conversation because in any given year Northwestern could just as easily find itself in IU's current situation, we just happened to be in a somewhat fortunate position as the B1G West champs.
Yes I remember we were worried about getting jumped by either wisconsin iowa or indiana this year. Was so happy to get citrus bow!

I really want to be rooting for Indiana today. However, their fans claiming that they would destroy NU and claiming they ONLY lost to OSU by 7 when the game was clearly one sided when OSU fell asleep is wearing thin. They should clobber a bad Ole Miss team and the cries that they are clearly the second best team in the B1G will grow louder. This B1G ten is against us mantra sounds like Nebraska. BTW- Indiana is a team that hasn’t won a bowl game in 30 years and I don’t they turned down the B1G bowl checks during that period. NU would beat Indiana this year.

Iowa State should not be in the Fiesta. IU is correct but the Outback is a good bowl that has served the BIG well. IU has shared the bowl revenue money for many years without winning one this century. The Outback Bowl is a good host and great publicity in a great football pipeline. IU has many Florida players. Their QB Penix although hurt is from Tampa. The BIG sure could use another win over the SEC. IU better win as posted above. Had they not choked away the Gator Bowl a year ago, it might have been different.

I really want to be rooting for Indiana today. However, their fans claiming that they would destroy NU and claiming they ONLY lost to OSU by 7 when the game was clearly one sided when OSU fell asleep is wearing thin. They should clobber a bad Ole Miss team and the cries that they are clearly the second best team in the B1G will grow louder. This B1G ten is against us mantra sounds like Nebraska. BTW- Indiana is a team that hasn’t won a bowl game in 30 years and I don’t they turned down the B1G bowl checks during that period. NU would beat Indiana this year.

I think we would beat IU by a TD or more with Penix at QB. They really have no sense for how good of a defense we have and how we have shut down offenses that were as explosive or more explosive than theirs. They did not beat one team with a winning record this year. I have no idea how good Ole Miss is but if they are halfway decent I think Indiana is setting themselves up to have a lot of egg on their face today.

Yeah this is pretty much what my buddy who went to IU has been saying.

Still, they better not lose.
They better not lose after saying they deserve a better bowl and pulling this stunt with the Big Ten patches. I mean that would be a complete clown show.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they come out motivated at least to show they belong.

I know there is, but I’ve never felt there was a huge difference between the Citrus Bowl and Outback Bowl.

I mean, the difference isn't "gigantic" but it's a bit of a difference.

Citrus has always been the #1 bowl under the BCS/NY6 bowls (the best timeslot, 1pm on ABC on Jan 1 with the biggest payouts of non-BCS/NY6 bowls). It's basically about as prestigious as a non-BCS/NY6 bowl gets.

And the ratings match, there are years where Citrus is rated better than some of the BCS/NY6 due to timeslot and matchup (#1 Big Ten and #1 SEC teams selected after BCS/NY6).

But Outback is a really good bowl too; basically just below Citrus in the pecking order.

We've basically won all of the good bowls in the Big Ten's 2010+ selection process except for Outback now, since we've won Citrus, Holiday, Music City, Gator, and Pinstripe.

Outback is the only one left to cross out among the top 6 (of course other than Rose/NY6).

Las Vegas got added recently into the top half of the selection process, so there's that one to win too.

Last edited:
Reactions: drewjin and drosejr
I know there is, but I’ve never felt there was a huge difference between the Citrus Bowl and Outback Bowl.
The conference considers Citrus, Outback, and Holiday to all be "tier 1" bowls, which means their pick order can be "fiddled with" to prevent repeat visits, etc. That's part of the reason we went to Holiday in 2018 rather than Outback, which we had already been to in 2015.

Reactions: drewjin
The conference considers Citrus, Outback, and Holiday to all be "tier 1" bowls, which means their pick order can be "fiddled with" to prevent repeat visits, etc. That's part of the reason we went to Holiday in 2018 rather than Outback, which we had already been to in 2015.
Yes, but even within those there's a pecking order.

Citrus always gets first choice within parameters about repeats and whatnot. They've always selected first after BCS/NY6. Outback always gets 2nd choice. After that bowls have always been shifted around into the #3 slot.

Right now Las Vegas Bowl would be #3 (in place of Holiday which held that spot a while).

But yes there's always been 3 tiers of quality of bowls:

Top Tier
1) Citrus
2) Outback
3) Holiday (2020 Las Vegas Bowl took this spot)

Middle Tier
4) Music City/Gator
5) Pinstripe
6) Belk (Duke's Mayo)

Lower Tier
7) Redbox
8) Quick Lane

Gets pretty hazy after Pinstripe though since you're mostly just not going to see ranked teams in the games after that game.

Funny thing, I'm watching the game and for some reason it is in Spanish. The commercials are in english, every other channel on my TV is in English. I checked my settings, English.

Based on what I have seen so far through 1 quarter, I would put money on Ole Miss winning this game if I had to make a bet right now.

Announcers in this game are also reminding us again and again how many SEC players are out.

They look flat today

They better not lose after saying they deserve a better bowl and pulling this stunt with the Big Ten patches. I mean that would be a complete clown show.
Indiana is shitting the bed in the first half. Not looking good at all against a 4-5 Ole Miss team.

Sounds like they should definitely take care of business tomorrow. I hope they do. Let’s see if they do.
They are without Pennix or whatever his name is. Don't think they are the same team without him

Sorry but without their QB they are not a great team and unfortunately not worthy of the higher ranking bowl

They do not have Penix and I believe he went down before bowl selection. Not the same team without him

Northwestern has built its football brand over 25 years.

That's why we got the Citrus bid over IU.

Division titles recently, Big Ten titles before that, a lot of bowls attended and won. We've gotten better at selling our bowl tickets too but that didn't matter for this year.

That's why we got the bid. We have all that and they don’t.

BTW, if we had beaten Michigan State, we absolutely would have gotten a NY6 bid as a 7-1 team.

That's the difference between where our two programs are.
Don't forget that without Penix they aren't really the team that was able to go 6-1 and I am not sure that as things played out that they really beat anyone

Reactions: zeek55
Well...I think they are literally in the midst of accomplishing it - shining a light on how f'd up the whole system is.

I don't blame anyone for arguing in favor of a true meritocracy. And remember we had this conversation because in any given year Northwestern could just as easily find itself in IU's current situation, we just happened to be in a somewhat fortunate position as the B1G West champs.
They did not beat anyone with a winning record and they are without Penix. System may be f****d up but they are not a good example. Want respect, win the d**n game in front of you

Reactions: kaTNap and corbi296
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT