ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana is a dirty team

gee didn't realize the a guy in a stripe shirt threw Hunter to the ground after play was well over. it was a dirty play and he should have been ejected. Guess the refs were to busy calling interference in the end zone.

This one made me chuckle. Good work, Willy.

This is an honest and fair post. There are a lot of hot takes in this thread. Allen teaches his team to be physical but within the rules of the game. Football is a physical game with a lot of “bang-bang”plays.

Targeting happens all the time in games. In the heat of the moment kids forget and lower their head.

As far as the Stallings play on Johnson, blame the refs there for not blowing a whistle and stopping play.

As an IU fan, I’ve suffered through decades-worth of seasons like you are having. Imagine going through that every year? It’s demoralizing.

Despite your struggles, Fitzgerald is the best coach in this conference and it ain’t even close. His body of work is outstanding.

Good luck next weekend and would love to see you beat Purdue.

This is also a fair post.

While I was irked by some of the beyond borderline hits and preening, I get the sense that the Hoosiers defense was probably just fired up for this one. They were flying to the ball and their overzealous nature let to some plays that certainly would have been flagged had there been any competency from the officiating crew. They’ll need to clean things up against Penn State and Michigan. Those teams will get the calls.

So, I wouldn’t necessarily categorize IU’s defensive play last night as “dirty”, but it certainly could be described as borderline and, as I pointed out in a different thread, reminiscent of a Tracy Claeys lead Gopher squad.

Switching gears, I was throughly impressed by the IU offensive attack. Nothing groundbreaking schematically, but the offense line was rock solid, Penix was decisive, and the WRs are talented group of playmakers (also a bit handsy). Hard not to like what I saw from this group, even factoring a less than stellar effort from Hank’s troops.

I think the Hoosiers can hang with both Michigan and Penn State. If they continue to execute offensively, play under control on defense, and win the turnover battle, I think they’ll knock off one of those giants.

Indiana can play.

Last edited:
This is also a fair post.

While I was irked by some of the beyond borderline hits and preening, I get the sense that the Hoosiers defense was probably just really fired up for this one. They were flying to the ball and their overzealous nature let to some plays that certainly would have been flagged had there been any competency from the officiating crew. They’ll need to clean things up against Penn State and Michigan. Those teams will get those calls.

So I wouldn’t necessarily call IU’s defensive play last night as “dirty”, but it certainly was borderline and, as I pointed out in a different thread, reminiscent of a Tracy Claeys lead Gopher squad.

Switching gears, I was throughly impressed by the IU offense. The offense line was rock solid, Penix was decisive, and the WRs are talented group of playmakers (also a bit handsy).

I think the Hoosiers can hang with both Michigan and Penn State. If they continue to execute offensively, play under control on defense, and win the turnover battle, I think they’ll knock off one of those giants.

Indiana can play.
And NU can't. The thrown down of Johnson was a "dirty play"!

And NU can't. The thrown down of Johnson was a "dirty play"!

Yeah, that one was completely unnecessary. The officials certainly didn’t help though. Should have blown the whistle earlier.

As another poster pointed out, the Hunter Johnson sack brought back memories of the Green Bay hit on McMahon back in 1986 (shudder).

Last edited:
Reactions: drewjin
Fitzgerald is the best coach in this conference and it ain’t even close.

Would you be excited if he replaced Tom Allen on Monday?

Do you believe boosters in Happy Valley, Columbus, or Iowa City are writing their ADs pleading with them to pony up the money to bring Pat to town?

Fitz has been a good fit at NU and—aside from recently evolving into a meat head at press conferences—has been great representative of the university. Maybe you’re just being nice, buy let’s not get carried away.

pipe down you're Northwestern
I suggest you pipe down on opposing message boards, you’re IU, the only B1G team with a losing record to Northwestern all time, like 9 of the last 11, and no B1G titles in what, a half century?

gee didn't realize the a guy in a stripe shirt threw Hunter to the ground after play was well over. it was a dirty play and he should have been ejected. Guess the refs were to busy calling interference in the end zone.

Oh my. Rewatch the play and listen for the whistle...it closes this discussion.

Just got done texting with one of IU coaches. He recruited my son to IU. He text me to ask how my son is doing since my son had to retire from football due to injuries. He had no reason to text me except to be a great guy.I know the IU staff wouldn't be alright with dirty play. Your team played physical and were very determined to win. Congrats on your season. Good luck to the Hoosiers.

Sorry to hear about your son's injury, I know that is frustrating for all involved. Hunter went to the HS in the community next to ours and we would have liked to have him in Btown. Hopefully he is ok.

It wasn't intentional of even a late hit based upon the timing of the whistle...it should have blown two seconds earlier at least.

Reactions: CrippleCat
Sorry to hear about your son's injury, I know that is frustrating for all involved. Hunter went to the HS in the community next to ours and we would have liked to have him in Btown. Hopefully he is ok.

It wasn't intentional of even a late hit based upon the timing of the whistle...it should have blown two seconds earlier at least.

Hunter had given himself up at least two seconds earlier. And your player still decided it was appropriate to intentionally throw him to the ground violently. Just a scumbag play from a program that clearly hasn’t “been there” before. I have family who went to Indiana and frankly I expected more class.

Quit hiding behind the refs.

Cannot believe the amount of crying and whining in this thread. I thought your fans were better than that. IU is not close to being a dirty program. If anything I'd be way more upset at your bad high school offense and quarterbacking. Stop calling IU names because they dominated your team last night. Fitz should be ashamed of that team he put on the field last night.

I didn’t like Alfred Bryant tossing Johnson to the ground. The officials waited way too long to blow the whistle. The officials made some mistakes.

The DPIs were legit. It was the same guy being flagged (#10) for faceguarding. He had his hands on IUs WRs who were MUCH BIGGER and he was basically riding them out of bounds. Another time, Whop Philyor got hit in the back in the corner before the ball got to him.

The Bible said this day would come. The last shall be first, and the first shall be last. It just didn’t say the officiating would be so crappy.

In all seriousness, and I mean this seriously, because I’m a serious man when taking things seriously, enjoy the moment, embrace the suck, and try the veal.

I didn’t like Alfred Bryant tossing Johnson to the ground. The officials waited way too long to blow the whistle. The officials made some mistakes.

The DPIs were legit. It was the same guy being flagged (#10) for faceguarding. He had his hands on IUs WRs who were MUCH BIGGER and he was basically riding them out of bounds. Another time, Whop Philyor got hit in the back in the corner before the ball got to him.

Again, face guarding is not a penalty. I kid you not. Do a quick search on google.

Philyor is a heck of a WR, but it was surprising how many times he pushed off for separation. Hopefully, he gets that cleaned up. The refs will call that against Penn State.

Cannot believe the amount of crying and whining in this thread. I thought your fans were better than that. IU is not close to being a dirty program. If anything I'd be way more upset at your bad high school offense and quarterbacking. Stop calling IU names because they dominated your team last night. Fitz should be ashamed of that team he put on the field last night.
Hey dumb-ass, that was a VERY DIRTY PLAY!

Oh my. Rewatch the play and listen for the whistle...it closes this discussion.
The dirty IU player carried the NU QB for close to ten yards before throwing him to the ground. Whistle or no whistle, it was a dirty play and the only result would be an possible injury.

Reactions: Rodenthater
Would you be excited if he replaced Tom Allen on Monday?

Do you believe boosters in Happy Valley, Columbus, or Iowa City are writing their ADs pleading with them to pony up the money to bring Pat to town?

Fitz has been a good fit at NU and—aside from recently evolving into a meat head at press conferences—has been great representative of the university. Maybe you’re just being nice, buy let’s not get carried away.

I hear faintly in the background that classic hair metal ballad by the group Cinderella: “Don’t Know What You Got Till It’s Gone.”

If you cannot appreciate what Fitzgerald has done for Northwestern, I don’t know what to tell you.
Yes - he is the best HC in the conference because of what he’s done over the course of 12 seasons and what he does with a roster that doesn’t resemble anywhere near an OSU. He had you in the Big championship game last year. Geez. I followed Big Ten football for a long time. You are a far cry from the days of Francis Peay, Denny Green and Rick Venturi.

IU played aggressive last night. Maybe some of it was borderline? When you’ve been kicked around in this league as long as we have, sometimes the frustration manifests itself.

Best of luck the rest of the way.

I hear faintly in the background that classic hair metal ballad by the group Cinderella: “Don’t Know What You Got Till It’s Gone.”

If you cannot appreciate what Fitzgerald has done for Northwestern, I don’t know what to tell you.
Yes - he is the best HC in the conference because of what he’s done over the course of 12 seasons and what he does with a roster that doesn’t resemble anywhere near an OSU. He had you in the Big championship game last year. Geez. I followed Big Ten football for a long time. You are a far cry from the days of Francis Peay, Denny Green and Rick Venturi.

IU played aggressive last night. Maybe some of it was borderline? When you’ve been kicked around in this league as long as we have, sometimes the frustration manifests itself.

Very well written and agree 100%

Dude, you’re out of your depth here.

This isn’t pro wrestling. Spinning defenseless players to the ground and causing an injury when the play is dead is the dirtiest thing.

How would you and *uckeye nation feel if it happens to your QB against Rutgers, PSU, or Michigan?

Reactions: Rodenthater
Wrong.

But whatever you need to tell yourself.

it was a lot less egregious than some of our players’ flagrant fouls over the years and we are not a dirty team. It's called being aggressive and maybe if our guys were more aggressive then we could create turnovers and get fired up.

Exactly, it was borderline at worst. Not dirty at all. Our fans are just whining out of frustration.

it was a lot less egregious than some of our players’ flagrant fouls over the years and we are not a dirty team. It's called being aggressive and maybe if our guys were more aggressive then we could create turnovers and get fired up.

Exactly, it was borderline at worst. Not dirty at all. Our fans are just whining out of frustration.
Come on, it was unnecessary and dirty.

Well, if you listen, the whistle was real late. So who knows. How about your number 51 punching our an, Penix in the pile as Penix was scoring on a qb sneak. And it was not one punch, it was two to three. And that is what ended up knocking Penix out of the game. Am guessing that that will be reviewed by the Big Ten head of officials. But Fitz will tell Big Ten that not only do we not commit penalties, because we have very smart kids, but that was not a punch or two but his hand made inadvertent contact with Penix. Be careful what you wish for.

Reactions: 76-1 and Pukecat
On this topic, as mentioned - the targeting ejection was an unfortunate albeit warranted dismissal. But there was nothing dirty about it - it's an unfortunate thing that happens in the course of a football game. And it could have been a costly penalty since the half would have ended without it. On the play where Hunter got spun down, I don't disagree that it probably should have been a 15 yard penalty (though certainly not an ejection) and if possible he should have let go, but it IS football--I do wonder how many posters complaining here have have actually played the game and had a player wrapped up for a sack. My guess is you can find examples the other way such as this: - the "punch(es?)" for the ball is well after Penix has clearly scored although before and then right after the whistle (which is on the refs). It's football, so I give the benefit of the doubt that he's just trying to make a play to prevent a TD- but sadly this play may have Penix out injured again. My point is only that casting stones in regard to dirty play in football is tricky. Unfortunate stuff happens and it is a violent game.

On a less specific note, I love Coach Fitzgerald - he just screams "football coach" to me and always has. What he's done with your program is remarkable. It is hard to envision (due to a few reasons, most notably being in the East Division) IU being able to come close to replicating it - but I would venture a guess that just about all Hoosier fans would see it as something to "shoot for" as a program. Lastly, I hope the Wildcats can beat Purdue this weekend.

Reactions: BTBall
I don't know if they're dirty or not, but they're preening on every single play. It's my one "get-off-my-lawn" opinion of sports today - I can't stand the people who dance around every time they have a two-yard gain.
You shouldn't dance around whatever you do. It's not an adolescent girls' dance recital, it's football. You're supposed to make plays. The fun's in making the plays, not juvenile prancing around as though you'd just won the lottery. The game was just fine for eighty years before this started taking hold, and it'd be fine for eighty more if it went away. Just play the game and quit acting like you can't believe your good fortune every time a play goes your way. There, I said it. And thanks, all, for indulging me.

Come on, it was unnecessary and dirty.

Unnecessary, sure, but not dirty. Dirty is intentionally injuring someone with a dangerous play, like trying to take out the knee or going helmet to helmet. This was a rough tackle that happened close to the whistle (some say before the whistle blew, in which case it was obviously not dirty).

Reactions: corbi296
Unnecessary, sure, but not dirty. Dirty is intentionally injuring someone with a dangerous play, like trying to take out the knee or going helmet to helmet. This was a rough tackle that happened close to the whistle (some say before the whistle blew, in which case it was obviously not dirty).
I'm sorry but throwing someone to the ground, after you have wrapped him up and carried back almost ten yards is DIRTY!

I'm sorry but throwing someone to the ground, after you have wrapped him up and carried back almost ten yards is DIRTY!
I hope you think it’s dirty when our players do similar things because they have. Football is a contact sport.

Reactions: 76-1
I hope you think it’s dirty when our players do similar things because they have. Football is a contact sport.
Really don't recall a NU guy intentionally throwing someone to the ground after the play was over. Maybe you could give us all a refresher course. Yes football is a contact sport , trying to injure someone isn't football!

Really don't recall a NU guy intentionally throwing someone to the ground after the play was over. Maybe you could give us all a refresher course. Yes football is a contact sport , trying to injure someone isn't football!

Honest question: how do you know the play was over? Did you actually hear a whistle?

Players are taught to play through to the whistle. This tactic of throwing a guy down is how guys with a lot more size and strength try to finish off a play with a smaller guy. I see it all the time in football. Did anybody truly hear a whistle. The ref is standing there watching the entire play. If he had blown the whistle, he would have thrown the flag. Shame on the ref for not stopping play.

That said, I’ve seen many plays this year where plays appear to be stopped and they allow it to continue. Piles of people locked up in a bunch and they allow the pile to keep moving. Blame the refs, not the players.

Reactions: BTBall
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT