ADVERTISEMENT

Inside Brooks Barnhizer's commitment to NU

Reactions: Titanium999
Bossi mentions in his write up Brooks' physical maturity...from limited video, he looks to be strong player, pretty filled out (like the last handful of recruits)

Bossi mentions in his write up Brooks' physical maturity...from limited video, he looks to be strong player, pretty filled out (like the last handful of recruits)
Why is BB only a 3* recruit?? Looks more like a top r150 type of player! Tall, fast and a wicked shooter! By Fall I bet he'll rise significantly in the rankings of top recuits

Why is BB only a 3* recruit?? Looks more like a top r150 type of player! Tall, fast and a wicked shooter! By Fall I bet he'll rise significantly in the rankings of top recuits

247's own rating is #149 in the class. Rivals could very well be the same (or better).

Reactions: drewjin

He's flown under the radar throughout the process. Seems to me like he should have some better offers. I know Corey Evans is a Barnhizer fan. I expect him to get ranked in the Rivals150 eventually, though I'd guess he stays a three-star.

All big ten recruits look great in high schools. He looks a little like Beran—tall, long, strong, nice shot. Beran is bigger, stronger and more athletic which is why he was a top 75 type player and BB is top 150 probably. But BB likely has a better handle and passing since he’s a guard. I’ll be thrilled if he’s almost as good as Beran as a frosh.

All big ten recruits look great in high schools. He looks a little like Beran—tall, long, strong, nice shot. Beran is bigger, stronger and more athletic which is why he was a top 75 type player and BB is top 150 probably. But BB likely has a better handle and passing since he’s a guard. I’ll be thrilled if he’s almost as good as Beran as a frosh.

"Thrilled" is a bit strong. Beran had his moments last year, particularly the 17 point effort @ ILL, and the 40% 3pt percentage was nice, but it isn't like 5 points and 3 rebounds per game is going to move the needle.

I'd be thrilled if he were better than Beran as a frosh, but because of the development of the upperclassmen he has to produce more in fewer minutes (Beran played almost 20 mins a game).

"Thrilled" is a bit strong. Beran had his moments last year, particularly the 17 point effort @ ILL, and the 40% 3pt percentage was nice, but it isn't like 5 points and 3 rebounds per game is going to move the needle.

I'd be thrilled if he were better than Beran as a frosh, but because of the development of the upperclassmen he has to produce more in fewer minutes (Beran played almost 20 mins a game).
A little bit of information on Brooks Barnhizer. He comes out of LaFayette Jeff, one of the most storied basketball programs in Indiana. Jeff has won, I believe three or four state championships and been in the semi-state and final four many times. I know I grew up adjoining the Calumet Region and I know as they brought a lot on misery to Calumet Region coaches until East Chicago Washington broke through.

Brooks dad is Mike Barnhizer, who is the Jeff coach. He has been a coach in Indiana for many years and is nearly at the 500 win mark. He has brought back Jeff’s fortunes since coming To Jeff about 3 years ago. They have won the North Central Conference championship two years in a row with Brooks being the big gun. By the way that conference includes Kokomo, Muncie Central, Marion, NewCastle, Anderson, and Richmond, among others. These are the big schools with many state champions and the huge gyms.

Mike Barnhizer played high school basketball at Lapel, Indiana where he was considered the the best shooter ever in Indiana, other than Rick Mount. He transferred from Purdue after one year to Auburn, where for three years he was the best shooter in the SEC. He has been a coach in Indiana for many years, he at 63 years old still shoots threes every day against his son and says he beats him. Brooks shot 45% from the three point line this year.

I now live in Florida so I have never seen Barnhizer play, but just from looking at the clips I would say think Bryant McIntosh, only a little bigger and a little faster. That’s not bad. Maybe someone could bring Kelly in for a comment.

i might say thrilled if he shows that kind of potential. Beran’s stats don’t reflect his talent. Hopefully they will

Miller Kopp averaged 5/2 as a frosh. Shurna 7/3. Let’s see what Beran does next year. Also, if we need BB to do more than that his freshman year, we’re in trouble.

Reactions: NUThump
A little bit of information on Brooks Barnhizer. He comes out of LaFayette Jeff, one of the most storied basketball programs in Indiana. Jeff has won, I believe three or four state championships and been in the semi-state and final four many times. I know I grew up adjoining the Calumet Region and I know as they brought a lot on misery to Calumet Region coaches until East Chicago Washington broke through.

Brooks dad is Mike Barnhizer, who is the Jeff coach. He has been a coach in Indiana for many years and is nearly at the 500 win mark. He has brought back Jeff’s fortunes since coming To Jeff about 3 years ago. They have won the North Central Conference championship two years in a row with Brooks being the big gun. By the way that conference includes Kokomo, Muncie Central, Marion, NewCastle, Anderson, and Richmond, among others. These are the big schools with many state champions and the huge gyms.

Mike Barnhizer played high school basketball at Lapel, Indiana where he was considered the the best shooter ever in Indiana, other than Rick Mount. He transferred from Purdue after one year to Auburn, where for three years he was the best shooter in the SEC. He has been a coach in Indiana for many years, he at 63 years old still shoots threes every day against his son and says he beats him. Brooks shot 45% from the three point line this year.

I now live in Florida so I have never seen Barnhizer play, but just from looking at the clips I would say think Bryant McIntosh, only a little bigger and a little faster. That’s not bad. Maybe someone could bring Kelly in for a comment.

I haven’t watched Brooks in person but I caught a couple of his games online this past season.

Watching Lafayette Jeff drives me a little crazy because of the style they play. They play up tempo and shoot a lot of 3’s and also take some bad shots and turn the ball over too much.

Brooks is a really good player and I think the McIntosh comparison is a good one. Brooks is a better shooter (although that 45% 3 point percentage is probably inflated). Brooks is bigger and stronger but Mac saw the floor better.

I think he is more of a mix between McIntosh and Kopp.

Side note: New Castle is no longer a part of the NCC. They joined the Hoosier Heritage Conference a few years ago.

I haven’t watched Brooks in person but I caught a couple of his games online this past season.

Watching Lafayette Jeff drives me a little crazy because of the style they play. They play up tempo and shoot a lot of 3’s and also take some bad shots and turn the ball over too much.

Brooks is a really good player and I think the McIntosh comparison is a good one. Brooks is a better shooter (although that 45% 3 point percentage is probably inflated). Brooks is bigger and stronger but Mac saw the floor better.

I think he is more of a mix between McIntosh and Kopp.

Side note: New Castle is no longer a part of the NCC. They joined the Hoosier Heritage Conference a few years ago.
There is also a good article in the Daily Northwestern on Barnhizer and his recruitment. Perhaps someone could tag it. I’m not to to adept at the fine tunings of the computer. I also looked up the North Central Conference and noted that New Castle has left. There are a number of new high schools in it.

Reactions: Kelly_32
There is also a good article in the Daily Northwestern on Barnhizer and his recruitment. Perhaps someone could tag it. I’m not to to adept at the fine tunings of the computer. I also looked up the North Central Conference and noted that New Castle has left. There are a number of new high schools in it.

Here's the article

Of interest...bit of a surprise...Collins sees him a lead guard...not a 3. And he's 6 7" now.

Reactions: DaCat
How about this lineup in 2021?

LG - Barnhizer 6-7
Wing - Kopp 6-7
Wing - Baldwin Jr 6-9
Wing - Beran 6-9
Big - Nance 6-10

Reactions: mickbula
May see a big rise out of Beran this coming year. If so, he may start every game the rest of his NU career.

If Ty Berry shoots in purple same as he shot in HS, well, tough to stick that on the bench.

Reactions: cwcorgi-ks
May see a big rise out of Beran this coming year. If so, he may start every game the rest of his NU career.

If Ty Berry shoots in purple same as he shot in HS, well, tough to stick that on the bench.

That's what so exciting about 2021, the depth will be unlike anything we've ever seen at NU.

How about this lineup in 2021?

LG - Barnhizer 6-7
Wing - Kopp 6-7
Wing - Baldwin Jr 6-9
Wing - Beran 6-9
Big - Nance 6-10
The one problem I see with that line-up is that it includes no back to the basket center. Whether or not we land Baldwin, either Young or Nicholson has to be in there. Nance is not really a center, and neither is anybody else.

The one problem I see with that line-up is that it includes no back to the basket center. Whether or not we land Baldwin, either Young or Nicholson has to be in there. Nance is not really a center, and neither is anybody else.

The tall lineup that I posted would be just one of many variations that Collins could employ in 2021. If he wants to go with a true center, he has 7-1 Nicholson and 6-10 Young. He can also go small with Berry, Roper, Audige, Buie, and Gaines. So many weapons.

Reactions: cwcorgi-ks
Nick Baumgart has Barnhizer moved up to his #4 player in the Indiana HS '21 class, citing his versatility and skill, and player that "has an edge, a swagger to his game". His stats from last season are very impressive. A 6'7" do everything guard/forward that played point guard on last year's hs team looks to be a great addition to next year's Wildcat team.

Nick Baumgart has Barnhizer moved up to his #4 player in the Indiana HS '21 class, citing his versatility and skill, and player that "has an edge, a swagger to his game". His stats from last season are very impressive. A 6'7" do everything guard/forward that played point guard on last year's hs team looks to be a great addition to next year's Wildcat team.

Here's Baumgart's tweet about Barnhizer with some comments. He told me a Q&A is coming, too.

Dunleavy Jr. was a McDonald's All-American who went to Duke. Brooks has quite a ways to go to get to that level; but let's hope he does!

Haha I said *shades*! Not the second coming! But in all serious, Coach K likes those tall, positionless guys who can slide 2-4 and Collins is very much building us to play the same way. There’s a world where Brooks plays the Dunleavy point-forward spot for us. How many guys have we truly had like that, those 6-7+ guys who could bring the ball down court and run the offense? Maybe Shurna? Vedran? And like... Jeff Ryan?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT