ADVERTISEMENT

InsideNU: Lathon admission revoked...

It’s so late though that they’d have to take a major dive. I go to NU now and I know people who are students here who went from getting good grades to getting Cs their last semester of high school and NU said nothing (and they are normal students not athletes). You’d have to majorly mess up to get nu admittance pulled his late

I think you're right. This late in the school year, it can't be only academics.

hudSRZb.jpg

He transferred back to his high school well into the first semester.

Maybe that created an academic mess that couldn't be cleaned up this quickly.

I'll also add that while us sports fans may love the Taj Fitz, the many faculty do not. They have never been on board with revenue sports. Could be that Phillips and Shapiro tried to guide this through and were met with resistance reminiscent of years ago. And they were left with no good options.

But we know nothing.

Kind of a sweeping generalization to make about an enormous faculty. I think the stereotype of nerdy-school-professors resenting athletics sounds good in theory, but almost every major school has grant seeking, research-heavy scholars on their staff that are largely apathetic about sports. I don't think any of my professors at NU resented the sports teams, nor did they give a damn about them. They were too busy trying to get publications and teach their classes. My sample size is limited, but I doubt there is sweeping resentment

Mooney still interested?

This is the worst.

I wonder if this development would have impacted Mooney's decision and it been revealed earlier. I suppose not. But, we're really hurting for a lead guard now. Or maybe Taylor, who is ball heavy, can take the lead and that gives us an ability to move one of the other wings (Kopp, Turner, Gaines) into the lineup.

I wonder if this development would have impacted Mooney's decision and it been revealed earlier. I suppose not. But, we're really hurting for a lead guard now. Or maybe Taylor, who is ball heavy, can take the lead and that gives us an ability to move one of the other wings (Kopp, Turner, Gaines) into the lineup.
Pete Nance started the year playing PG for Revere. Stranger things have happened.

High school seniors are idiots. I have one now. I hope this is an issue that can be fixed. I know there are lots of teams scrambling for players so if he’s eligible he will play somewhere. Good luck Jordan we hardly knew you...
Put the blame on the high and almighty Admissions Office. They can probably also kiss Collins good-bye.

Reactions: 2388bb
Kind of a sweeping generalization to make about an enormous faculty. I think the stereotype of nerdy-school-professors resenting athletics sounds good in theory, but almost every major school has grant seeking, research-heavy scholars on their staff that are largely apathetic about sports. I don't think any of my professors at NU resented the sports teams, nor did they give a damn about them. They were too busy trying to get publications and teach their classes. My sample size is limited, but I doubt there is sweeping resentment

I socialize with NU professors and deans and none of them are connected to sports. They knew NU made the tournament, but probably couldn't name a player on the team. They are not critical of sports, but they do worry that the commitment prevents students from having a full academic experience.

They do say that within the university, to ambivalent faculty, Shapiro pushes sports as a partial solution to the NU diversity challenge. That say every revenue sport kid is an academic exception (their words, not mine) and so the current argument is that supporting sports with more flexible admissions can help with diversity.

Knowing the sentiment of some I posited a possibility.

I was not being critical of faculty and I do not find fault with faculty who don't embrace all that D1 sports brings to a school like NU.

Put the blame on the high and almighty Admissions Office. They can probably also kiss Collins good-bye.

No.

You have no idea what happened, nor do I. You can speculate that the Admissions Office revoked his scholarship offer, but the circumstances had to be extremely unusual and probably a no-brainer. Think about it. The school year is practically over and it is the second semester of Lathon's senior year. Even if he stopped going to classes, which is highly unlikely, his academic transcript would not have changed enough to move the needle. And he would still have summer school to catch up.

I believe something significant happened recently that caused the school to revoke the scholarship.

It would be nice to know the whole story. But maybe we can infer something from the "protect Privacy" statement. I am inferring that if it was really super news......became the youngest elected mayor of his home town, leaving US to work on the Super Collider, joining the Franciscan Order of Monks etc,,,,,we would know. So again I am inferring that it was not something super positive but on the other side of the spectrum,,,,,Also the "revoked" over released part of the statement kind of infers to me that there was a part of a contract that was not met. I am in my head, until we know, leaving room for things like family illness, different not insufficient academic decision But again from language in the Statement it seems NU released him and not the other way around......You just hope this was not an academic turf vs athletic turf...which would imply a disturbance in the Force. But good luck to Mr. Lathon,,,,,and back to the drawing board for CC

It would be nice to know the whole story. But maybe we can infer something from the "protect Privacy" statement. I am inferring that if it was really super news......became the youngest elected mayor of his home town, leaving US to work on the Super Collider, joining the Franciscan Order of Monks etc,,,,,we would know. So again I am inferring that it was not something super positive but on the other side of the spectrum,,,,,Also the "revoked" over released part of the statement kind of infers to me that there was a part of a contract that was not met. I am in my head, until we know, leaving room for things like family illness, different not insufficient academic decision But again from language in the Statement it seems NU released him and not the other way around......You just hope this was not an academic turf vs athletic turf...which would imply a disturbance in the Force. But good luck to Mr. Lathon,,,,,and back to the drawing board for CC

A good take.

I don't get why the university issued a statement. And, why the most senior communications person in the university put his name to it.

He never attended the university. Why not have a standby statement prepared by the athletic department in case the media covers this, and only issue by media request.

The university cast a bit of unnecessary shade on this young man by treating him different with media than they would another student.

Reactions: NUCat320
*IF* it's an admissions thing....it definitely happens at NU more often. haywood talked about a recent recruit we had to pull off of because of it. Carmody certainly had issues with the admissions office as well.

As we know, there is a huge difference between not being able to sign a player because he can’t get admitted — versus actually signing a player who received clearance from admissions and then had that offer revoked.

The latter is, of course, the scenario that doesn’t happen often.

A good take.

I don't get why the university issued a statement. And, why the most senior communications person in the university put his name to it.

He never attended the university. Why not have a standby statement prepared by the athletic department in case the media covers this, and only issue by media request.

The university cast a bit of unnecessary shade on this young man by treating him different with media than they would another student.
I thought NU issued the statement in response to INSIDE NU finding out that his admittance was revoked..

All you guys did was call me a troll from the minute I came on here. I know exactly what happened. Been closer to the program for more than about 95% of you for 30 years. It has nothing to do with admissions. I can’t say what specificially happened,
because it isnt exactly appropriate but he qualified academically. The young man made a young man mistake, and was screwed over by others involved. I havent seen a program have worse luck in the history of sports. I feel for Collins and staff and the rest of the team but come November there are games to be played and we have to find a way to come together and create some serious chemistry. I will be cheering. Until then the countdown to our main sport begins. See you all at Ryan Field.
Go Cats!!’

All you guys did was call me a troll from the minute I came on here. I know exactly what happened. Been closer to the program for more than about 95% of you for 30 years. It has nothing to do with admissions. I can’t say what specificially happened,
because it isnt exactly appropriate but he qualified academically. The young man made a young man mistake, and was screwed over by others involved. I havent seen a program have worse luck in the history of sports. I feel for Collins and staff and the rest of the team but come November there are games to be played and we have to find a way to come together and create some serious chemistry. I will be cheering. Until then the countdown to our main sport begins. See you all at Ryan Field.
Go Cats!!’
This post definitely disproves the troll theory....

Go Cats!!’
Does NU admissions go through a final due diligence, much like a final check by bank underwriters when a loan is being approved? It could have been found in that process. Does anyone remember the statement put out when Jordan Lathon suddenly left IMG? It cited “family issues” as the cause of his quick departure.

An overreaction would be saying that the blame is strictly on the admissions office and that we can kiss Collins goodbye.

Who said we “can kiss Collins goodbye”? Making stuff up again? Nothing out-of-line with other posters posting about *if* it’s an admissions issue and showed concern about Collins. That’s pretty normal and not an overreaction. Fitz51’s post on the other hand...yikes!! Nothing like telling a slew of other fans that they suck. True fandom, eh?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT