ADVERTISEMENT

InsideNU: Lathon admission revoked...

So just to make sure I have it straight in where “doom” is appropriate. 10-3 football program, but only 1 NFL draft pick (we somehow correlate being great college football players to being high NFL picks, yet we all know that isn’t always true) ... DOOOOOOM, it’s political, NU coaches don’t have connections, what are we going to do. But 15-17 NU basketball loses 4 star, top 150 national recruit in late May, after all viable players are signed and sealed with other programs, no doom because one time Collins found a replacement for another point guard once, who was recruited by Collins predecessor and decommitted in March, which is a heck of a lot different than the last week of May.
Gee guess we need to hurry and bring back that other coach, who never got NU into the NCAA Tournament. Got it.

So just to make sure I have it straight in where “doom” is appropriate. 10-3 football program, but only 1 NFL draft pick (we somehow correlate being great college football players to being high NFL picks, yet we all know that isn’t always true) ... DOOOOOOM, it’s political, NU coaches don’t have connections, what are we going to do. But 15-17 NU basketball loses 4 star, top 150 national recruit in late May, after all viable players are signed and sealed with other programs, no doom because one time Collins found a replacement for another point guard once, who was recruited by Collins predecessor and decommitted in March, which is a heck of a lot different than the last week of May.
I’m bullish in the long run on Wildcat basketball. I’m not ready to write off the next season either. And I didn’t give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

Reactions: hdhntr1 and NJCat
I’m bullish in the long run on Wildcat basketball. I’m not ready to write off the next season either. And I didn’t give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.
You can be bullish but still realize losing a top 150 kid at this stage in the recruiting cycle is a problem, even if something mildly similar happened with S(t)ina many years ago.

Reactions: IGNORE2
I'll go with some of you and simply hope more information comes out on this in the next several days or weeks. I don't expect much to come out. NU is scummy that way. But let's see what happens.

If I'm Collins and it's true this was not related to academics, I want more out about this because it's too easy to recruit against in the last days of a decision that is down to NU and one or two other schools.

Wrong take here. Very wrong.

Just wanted to note, for my detractors, that I have been clamoring against presuming Lathon starts and plays heavy minutes. I guessed injury or not ready, but fact is he still is not starting.

I blame CCC for the fact that Taylor and Ash will man the LG next season. Letting the roster dwindle to one real option asks for disaster and the Gods are only too happy to serve it up.

Now, before some idiots start calling be a BC lover, let me say it again. I liked the CCC hire and like the coach, but I think one has to call out mistakes and weakness to fully discuss.

CCC has recruited some great players, but he is not good at filling out a roster. We keep getting problems or omissions.

Just wanted to note, for my detractors, that I have been clamoring against presuming Lathon starts and plays heavy minutes. I guessed injury or not ready, but fact is he still is not starting.

I blame CCC for the fact that Taylor and Ash will man the LG next season. Letting the roster dwindle to one real option asks for disaster and the Gods are only too happy to serve it up.

Now, before some idiots start calling be a BC lover, let me say it again. I liked the CCC hire and like the coach, but I think one has to call out mistakes and weakness to fully discuss.

CCC has recruited some great players, but he is not good at filling out a roster. We keep getting problems or omissions.

It's incredibly difficult to get quality basketball talent into NU. My historical perspective is that the guard spot is the easiest at NU to recruit.

This staff has done well in raising the bar and I think if it sticks around, over time, we'll see this bumpiness at guard even out.

I enjoy your posts. To your point I'd argue that while NU's roster is much improved, the truth is that for the Big Ten we continue to skate on thin ice. It doesn't take a whole lot going wrong to disrupt the entire effort.

To the point about guards being easiest to find....I'll put my faith in Heywood that a stop gap will be forthcoming.

It's incredibly difficult to get quality basketball talent into NU. My historical perspective is that the guard spot is the easiest at NU to recruit.

This staff has done well in raising the bar and I think if it sticks around, over time, we'll see this bumpiness at guard even out.

I enjoy your posts. To your point I'd argue that while NU's roster is much improved, the truth is that for the Big Ten we continue to skate on thin ice. It doesn't take a whole lot going wrong to disrupt the entire effort.

To the point about guards being easiest to find....I'll put my faith in Heywood that a stop gap will be forthcoming.

I definitely think the talent level is better. And now we can enjoy multiple talented players share the same roster.

I hope your interpretation of heywoods vague post is correct. I can see it being Bey or an explanation of Lathon.

Remember, he said earlier that CCC was done looking at grad transfers. I want to guess it is because they think they will land Bey. Now that another schollie opens, you have to think anything is in play: grad, overseas nugget, but please no four year commitment to a reach or a project.

I just can't understand how it would result in a scholarship being revoked rather than him being disciplined on campus. And Collins was talking about him as recently as wednesday?! I don't get it. This is Venric Mark level of weirdness
I would guess you have to think along the lines of other authorities getting involved

Sorry Villox but if you don't think this hurts NU athletics, you're greatly mistaken. Also not being able to get his #1 recruit , can't make Collins a very happy camper or employee.
It really depends on what the issue was

I would say wing but not sure about guard or at least PG

I remember when Netflix used to ship DVDs.

I remember I was watching The Wire back during that time and getting 2-3 episodes at a time in the mail. I got through about half the first season before I couldn’t take it anymore and just splurged about $100 on the entire DVD set.

Reactions: DaCat
Where can you find a Blockbuster?

You run a risk when your attempt at humor is subtle.

The lack of video rental stores today in the context of a "timeless" movie that lived in the the VCR era is the punchline of the intended joke...

Reactions: IGNORE2
You run a risk when your attempt at humor is subtle.

The lack of video rental stores today in the context of a "timeless" movie that lived in the the VCR era is the punchline of the intended joke...
My response was also supposed to be humor.

Reactions: MRCat95
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT