ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting comment....

Things worked out for the best for Northwestern; we got Walk and he brought back and mentored Fitz. The chain of Barnett/Walk/Fitz will always be what built the foundation for long-term success that we are enjoying now.
This makes me stop and reflect. There have been only three head football coaches at NU since I graduated. And I graduated a looooong time ago. Pretty impressive stability.

His leaving for Colorado I understand. He was very enamored of being in demand (also understandable, but he did come just short of having an 800 number).

Rick Taylor is part of the equation, of that there can be no doubt.

But the bottom line is, Barnett was interested in "better" jobs. That he saw Colorado as one is, again, quite understandable. But even had that job never come open, he had some bags packed for a while.

I think his definition of what a "better" job is has evolved, as it would for any intelligent and reflective person.
Many of the things Barnett constantly had to fight for no longer seem to be issues.

Reactions: rmndcat
I don't argue your points.
Yet Barnett himself now has second thoughts about his decision.

They'd refurbished Ryan Field. Henry Bienen wasn't hostile to athletics (though apparently partial to hoops). Maybe Barnett now thinks he could've outlasted Taylor if he'd stuck around.
It may not have been as much about his decision at the time and more about the decision that Fitz had in front of him. Barnett had plenty of reasons to leave that Fitz does not.

Now that IS funny.

Did you notice Kelly of ND was WAY WAY DOWN the list at #59 with as salary of only $2.129 million
ND is private also so like Fitzs most recent of 4.5 wasn’t known until just now it is the same with ND and Kelly

ND is private also so like Fitzs most recent of 4.5 wasn’t known until just now it is the same with ND and Kelly

Maybe he got a pay cut. If you're going to go through all that trouble of covering up player crimes, lowering academic standards to admit unqualified students, and constantly bending rules, then by Touchdown Geezus you'd better not get embarrassed in the playoffs, better yet, win a national championship.

So another 0.9M. I guess it's possible that is performance-related bonuses of some kind, but that seems like a lot.

It's possible that Fitz was smooth enough to parley the interest from other schools into a raise without creating all the speculation and hand-wringing in other cases (e.g. Brohm). If so, good for him.

There are soooo many ways to compensate a coach outside of salary. You can pay for the cost of a huge life insurance policy and have the coach borrow against it tax free. You can put payments into an SCorp for fees and endorsements. The only thing that has to be reported on the 990 annual tax return for private schools is the W2 wage. I’m sure Kelly makes a hell of a lot more than his reported W2 wage.

Reactions: zeek55
So true. Rick Taylor was the worst. Hard to believe he was a football coach. I think he was somewhat jealous of Barnett’s succese.

I think what really set Barnett off was that Kevin O'Neil (the basketball coach) got a much better deal and bigger salary just coming in to coach, this after all Barnett had done for Northwestern. I mean Barnett takes us to the Rose and Citrus and they cheapo him on stuff and throw the money at O'Neil. Rick Taylor should have been fired on the spot.

Reactions: TXnumbCAT
I think what really set Barnett off was that Kevin O'Neil (the basketball coach) got a much better deal and bigger salary just coming in to coach, this after all Barnett had done for Northwestern. I mean Barnett takes us to the Rose and Citrus and they cheapo him on stuff and throw the money at O'Neil. Rick Taylor should have been fired on the spot.

Rick Taylor was a total douchebag.

There are soooo many ways to compensate a coach outside of salary. You can pay for the cost of a huge life insurance policy and have the coach borrow against it tax free. You can put payments into an SCorp for fees and endorsements. The only thing that has to be reported on the 990 annual tax return for private schools is the W2 wage. I’m sure Kelly makes a hell of a lot more than his reported W2 wage.
Yeah and we don't know any of the incentives on the contract.

I'd imagine Fitz gets at least $500-600k for his incentives this year given we hit all the incentives below winning the Big Ten/going to an NY6 bowl.

He made the wrong decision, but an understandable one. A mistake that he himself admits.

But, you're completely right, Rick Taylor was a total douchebag and basically drove him out the door.

Maybe true, never met him. But he did bring some good coaches to NU. I think the LAX Hillers also arrived under his watch.

You never know until you try, but I believe I could get by on that kind of money.

There will always be a soft spot in my heart for GB. What many saw as negatives, GB saw positives. But he was always shopping around, and I remember that shopping was used against us on the recruiting trail.

GB wasn't garbage at CU either. He won a couple division championships, but the program was a step down from the McCarthy Era, and there was physical assault issues that finished him off. Then they brought in that clown from Boise State who's name escapes me (Hawkins? Haskins? Uggh I'm getting old) and CU really went in the dumper.

There will always be a soft spot in my heart for GB. What many saw as negatives, GB saw positives. But he was always shopping around, and I remember that shopping was used against us on the recruiting trail.

GB wasn't garbage at CU either. He won a couple division championships, but the program was a step down from the McCarthy Era, and there was physical assault issues that finished him off. Then they brought in that clown from Boise State who's name escapes me (Hawkins? Haskins? Uggh I'm getting old) and CU really went in the dumper.

Barnett won the Big XII outright with a stunning 62-36 upset of Nebraska and beating Texas in 2001. He then went on to win three division championships, the last one while the program was hit by bimbo grenades, along with several B12 COTY awards. His recruiting became straight-jacketed by CU's ridiculous regulations for visits in response to the bimbo extortion scandal. In the end, Barnett and the CU program were cleared of any wrongdoing, forcing CU to retain him. He was replaced (after winning the North division and another COTY) by the incoming AD after losing his last two B12 games by a combined score of 100-6. The program just ran out of gas.

Yeah and we don't know any of the incentives on the contract.

I'd imagine Fitz gets at least $500-600k for his incentives this year given we hit all the incentives below winning the Big Ten/going to an NY6 bowl.

Finally got a chance to watch the TV broadcast of the post Holiday Bowl awards ceremony. When Coach was handed the Holiday Bowl trophy he gave it a kiss as he hoisted it skyward. From the stands at the game it was difficult to even see who was where on the podium so I missed that detail at the time.

As I watched today, the thought crossed my mind that it was just like kissing a six figure bonus check that one had been handed.

Last edited:
Finally got a chance to watch the TV broadcast of the post Holiday Bowl awards ceremony. When Coach was handed the Holiday Bowl trophy he gave it a kiss as he hoisted it skyward. From the stands at the game it was difficult to even see who was where on the podium so I missed that detail at the time.

As I watched today, the thought crossed my mind that it was just like kissing a six figure bonus check that one had been handed.

Where did you see it? I wanted to see it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT