ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting thread on the Penn State board

"Even corrupt overseers could not destroy what Joe built."

WTF.

The whole Mixon thing is not in the same ballpark as what happened at PSU. Not even close. Mixon did a terrible thing, but it was a terrible thing done by a young individual to another individual. He was appropriately punished (one year suspension). He has also been publicly contrite, which I accept at face value. I do think he should have been kicked off the team, but that's on Stoops.

The institutional failure at PSU by adults acting as institutional leaders (on the public payroll) impacted dozens of young lives in horrifically enduring ways. It's one thing to punish a kid who has acted reprehensibly outside the program. It's another thing to take full, visible responsibility for institutional failure of the worst magnitude imaginable.

I believe one of the announcers last night said that the two PSU players who didn't play last night were academically ineligible. While PSU refers to this as violating team rules would the NCAA allow them to play if in fact their first semesters grades weren't adequate?
They were not academically ineligible. They both made academic all conference. Chris Fowler said that but then corrected it. The PSU fans are pretty upset about that mistake by Fowler.

"Even corrupt overseers could not destroy what Joe built."

WTF.

The whole Mixon thing is not in the same ballpark as what happened at PSU. Not even close. Mixon did a terrible thing, but it was a terrible thing done by a young individual to another individual. He was appropriately punished (one year suspension). He has also been publicly contrite, which I accept at face value. I do think he should have been kicked off the team, but that's on Stoops.

The institutional failure at PSU by adults acting as institutional leaders (on the public payroll) impacted dozens of young lives in horrifically enduring ways. It's one thing to punish a kid who has acted reprehensibly outside the program. It's another thing to take full, visible responsibility for institutional failure of the worst magnitude imaginable.
I also think the one poster on the PSU board has a point about Mixon's behavior. Although his punch was brutal, I don't think it should be completely ignored that he wasn't the aggressor. He punched the woman only after she pushed him and then hit him in the head. Given his size and strength advantage he clearly should have shown restraint. However unlike in other cases I don't think there is any basis to say that he was predisposed to harm her. He lost it and he was wrong but while not politically correct I don't think it's fair to completely ignore what led up to what he did.

I also think the one poster on the PSU board has a point about Mixon's behavior. Although his punch was brutal, I don't think it should be completely ignored that he wasn't the aggressor. He punched the woman only after she pushed him and then hit him in the head. Given his size and strength advantage he clearly should have shown restraint. However unlike in other cases I don't think there is any basis to say that he was predisposed to harm her. He lost it and he was wrong but while not politically correct I don't think it's fair to completely ignore what led up to what he did.
Absolutely. This is a societal conundrum. If he had been harassed and then assaulted by a male, it very likely would have been a "fight" that he did not start, but ended. Maybe he would have been suspended for some time.

But let's not lie about it. The fact that he hit a female, instead of a male, totally changes the equation. Even in self-defense.There is a societal double standard here (but not a legal one) rooted in sexism, but I am not sure I have a problem with it as I think it is for the better.

Reactions: PaCat
Absolutely. This is a societal conundrum. If he had been harassed and then assaulted by a male, it very likely would have been a "fight" that he did not start, but ended. Maybe he would have been suspended for some time.

But let's not lie about it. The fact that he hit a female, instead of a male, totally changes the equation. Even in self-defense.There is a societal double standard here (but not a legal one) rooted in sexism, but I am not sure I have a problem with it as I think it is for the better.

After all I had heard about Mixon clocking a woman, when I watched the actual video, it was surprising to say the least. The woman was actually quite aggressive and did start hitting Mixon first. She was no petite little thing either. I don't know what made her think she could wail away at Mixon like that. If I were in Mixon's shoes, I don't know if I would've reacted with more restraint or not.

Reactions: PaCat
The sport is likely on the way out. Mixon, Baylor, Minn, Penn State, the list goes on and on. And people look the other way

After all I had heard about Mixon clocking a woman, when I watched the actual video, it was surprising to say the least. The woman was actually quite aggressive and did start hitting Mixon first. She was no petite little thing either. I don't know what made her think she could wail away at Mixon like that. If I were in Mixon's shoes, I don't know if I would've reacted with more restraint or not.
Come on. Just grab her hands and the incident is over. Bet most on this board have been slapped by a woman and also bet to a man, none punched back.

Come on. Just grab her hands and the incident is over. Bet most on this board have been slapped by a woman and also bet to a man, none punched back.
Really? I've never been slapped or otherwise assaulted by a woman. I have no idea what that would be like. Contrary to your claim I also don't think that most on the board have ever had that experience either. Anyway the PSU poster wasn't claiming that Mixon responded appropriately. His only point was that there were mitigating circumstances and that the woman who assaulted Mixon wasn't blameless. Nothing he said states that Mixon shouldn't have responded as you suggest or that he was innocent of wrongdoing.

Uh..... did you watch the video? This was no 110 pound woman, and she didn't just slap Mixon.... she was a wildebeest, and she was flailing her arms and hitting him.

My best friend dumped a girlfriend five years ago. After he broke up with her, she appeared late one night at his house. He had female company, and when she saw this she went berserker on him, punching, slapping, and scratching him. He finally subdued her and the police came. She went to jail for a few hours. The cop commended my friend for his restraint as he did not retaliate.

It's hard to fully blame Mixon, but he could have responded differently.

Was the woman charged?

My best friend dumped a girlfriend five years ago. After he broke up with her, she appeared late one night at his house. He had female company, and when she saw this she went berserker on him, punching, slapping, and scratching him. He finally subdued her and the police came. She went to jail for a few hours. The cop commended my friend for his restraint as he did not retaliate.

Was the woman charged?

For the record, I am not defending Mixon's actions. He clearly should have had more restraint. Nothing good usually happens in the early hours of the morning where alcohol is probably involved.

For the record, I am not defending Mixon's actions. He clearly should have had more restraint. Nothing good usually happens in the early hours of the morning where alcohol is probably involved.

I hadn't heard the word "wildebeest" in at least a decade. I will use that at some point before the next decade.

Really? I've never been slapped or otherwise assaulted by a woman. I have no idea what that would be like. Contrary to your claim I also don't think that most on the board have ever had that experience either. Anyway the PSU poster wasn't claiming that Mixon responded appropriately. His only point was that there were mitigating circumstances and that the woman who assaulted Mixon wasn't blameless. Nothing he said states that Mixon shouldn't have responded as you suggest or that he was innocent of wrongdoing.

Slapped? I think it must have happened before, but you know, I really can't recall, though I've been subjected to other acts of violence by females that I do remember.

When I was in HS, I was punched in the jaw by a girl and did not hit back. In retrospect, I did make an entirely inappropriate joke that really wasn't taken well and I fully deserved it. She said something about a Ninja being the safest thing you could have between your legs, and I said something like, you would know, wouldn't you.

I also got tied up, whipped, and had my nipples clamped and had hot wax poured on my chest at a strip joint during a bachelor party in New Orleans and I didn't hit back. In retrospect, I kinda liked it (except for the pain) cuz she was smoking hot, though I couldn't see anything because I was blindfolded.

More recently, I had a plate thrown at me by my wife and numerous pieces of silverware. I didn't do anything except say sorry and pick up the broken pieces of porcelain. In retrospect, I didn't do anything to deserve it and am not sure what I apologized for. It was just that time of the month.

Regardless of the situation, you don't hit women. Period. Pun not intended.

Also, in an attempt to turn this back towards football, it's a no win situation to fight girls. You win, and you get crucified for beating up girls. You lose, well, you get crucified for losing to a girl and will take it to the grave. Take our loss to ISU as an example. Of the 2016 season, along with perhaps the bowl win against Pitt, this is the game we are going to remember for years and years to come. We just shouldn't be playing I-AA teams anyways.

Last edited:
Reactions: FightNorthwestern

Was the woman charged?

+1 for 'berserker'.

Slapped? I think it must have happened before, but you know, I really can't recall, though I've been subjected to other acts of violence by females that I do remember.

When I was in HS, I was punched in the jaw by a girl and did not hit back. In retrospect, I did make an entirely inappropriate joke that really wasn't taken well and I fully deserved it. She said something about a Ninja being the safest thing you could have between your legs, and I said something like, you would know, wouldn't you.

I also got tied up, whipped, and had my nipples clamped and had hot wax poured on my chest at a strip joint during a bachelor party in New Orleans and I didn't hit back. In retrospect, I kinda liked it (except for the pain) cuz she was smoking hot, though I couldn't see anything because I was blindfolded.

More recently, I had a plate thrown at me by my wife and numerous pieces of silverware. I didn't do anything except say sorry and pick up the broken pieces of porcelain. In retrospect, I didn't do anything to deserve it and am not sure what I apologized for. It was just that time of the month.

Regardless of the situation, you don't hit women. Period. Pun not intended.

Also, in an attempt to turn this back towards football, it's a no win situation to fight girls. You win, and you get crucified for beating up girls. You lose, well, you get crucified for losing to a girl and will take it to the grave. Take our loss to ISU as an example. Of the 2016 season, along with perhaps the bowl win against Pitt, this is the game we are going to remember for years and years to come. We just shouldn't be playing I-AA teams anyways.
Since we are now telling crazy girlfriend stories. In college at NU, I had a girlfriend that was a little crazy. On one occasion, she completely lost her temper and began to wail on me with her fists. It came out of nowhere and I was taken completely by surprise. I took the first couple of hits (they hurt) and then was able to get hold of her wrists until she calmed down. At no point did the idea of striking her ever occur to me. As a matter of fact, looking back on it through the years, the idea of that as an option never occurred to me until I was reading this thread.

In my case, this did not occur in public. We were in the privacy of my room. No cameras and no witnesses.

For me, there are two critical components here:

1. He considered hitting a girl with ferocity in his situation as an option
2. He had so little self-control or situational awareness he was blinded to the fact that doing so in public would have repercussions

So, even if you are indifferent to the young man's character (item 1), then a school should definitely act on item 2 for the preservation of the school reputation. Was an enforced red shirt year sufficient? It depends on the school. Past history of lesser situations indicates that an enforced red shirt year would not have been the solution at NU.

Uh..... did you watch the video? This was no 110 pound woman, and she didn't just slap Mixon.... she was a wildebeest, and she was flailing her arms and hitting him.
There seems to be concern that there is a double standard. Women can hit men but men cannot hit women. Legally they can't. But as far as simple character and right and wrong I do not see this as a double standard. Disparity of size and power is the issue.

Another personal story... I once took a vicious and unexpected shot to the gonads from a 4 year old. My immediate emotional responses were pain and rage. I could not think clearly and adrenaline was shooting through my veins. But something stopped me from striking out. There is a built-in governor in the mind of civilized people that you do not strike out at those that are significantly smaller or weaker than you are.

That is not a double standard. It was just what anyone that I would want representing my university would do.

There seems to be concern that there is a double standard. Women can hit men but men cannot hit women. Legally they can't. But as far as simple character and right and wrong I do not see this as a double standard. Disparity of size and power is the issue.

Another personal story... I once took a vicious and unexpected shot to the gonads from a 4 year old. My immediate emotional responses were pain and rage. I could not think clearly and adrenaline was shooting through my veins. But something stopped me from striking out. There is a built-in governor in the mind of civilized people that you do not strike out at those that are significantly smaller or weaker than you are.

That is not a double standard. It was just what anyone that I would want representing my university would do.

It's not my argument, but the Penn state poster observed that at his size and strength, like the woman who attacked Mixon, he would be no match in a fight with Mixon, yet if he hit Mixon the way the woman did and Mixon broke his jaw, people would say he got what he deserved. Kind of reminds me of when Woody Hayes came on the field during a game and punched an opposing player. To this day I wish that the player wasn't so surprised that he failed to retaliate. Btw I put myself in the category of men who would be well advised not to attack college football players.

Last edited:

I think there is definitely a double standard. But it's a societal one, not a legal one. And I am OK with it. In general, men are bigger and stronger, and there is a much greater potential for significant physical harm should a man strike a woman vs. vice versa. Men should not strike back.

Note: I am not saying "women" are the weaker sex as a stereotype. I am saying that in many cases, men are bigger and stronger, especially football playing men. The issue is the capability to do physical harm. The emotional harm from being attacked is bad enough.

I think there is definitely a double standard. But it's a societal one, not a legal one. And I am OK with it. In general, men are bigger and stronger, and there is a much greater potential for significant physical harm should a man strike a woman vs. vice versa. Men should not strike back.

Note: I am not saying "women" are the weaker sex as a stereotype. I am saying that in many cases, men are bigger and stronger, especially football playing men. The issue is the capability to do physical harm. The emotional harm from being attacked is bad enough.
And when they are not?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT