ADVERTISEMENT

Is anybody rooting for UNC tonight?

NUCat320

Dec 4, 2005
Go Zags.

I'm fairly confident that the scare against NU - and their own need to prove the doubters after we were jobbed out of that goaltend non-call - has spurred the run.

UNC is the worst.

Gotta root for the little guy, which happens to have a couple really big guys

Reactions: CatManTrue
Go Zags.

I'm fairly confident that the scare against NU - and their own need to prove the doubters after we were jobbed out of that goaltend non-call - has spurred the run.

UNC is the worst.
Well, they aren't the worst but given that the team that took out NU was the Zags, I agree, go Zags.

Anyone who EVER roots for a football or basketball "factory" school ought to be ashamed of themselves.

Anyone who EVER roots for a football or basketball "factory" school ought to be ashamed of themselves.

Sorry, I am PROUD to root for Northwestern University! ;)

Home of the 20th best combined football/basketball program in 2016-17....

"20. Northwestern Wildcats
Football Spring Analysis & Ranking

Football: 7-6 overall, 5-4 in conference, T4th in Big Ten West

Basketball: 24-12 overall, 10-8 in conference, T6th in Big Ten

How Was The Football/Basketball Season? These are heady times in Evanston. Getting to a bowl game and winning it is still a big deal for the school, while nothing overshadowed the basketball team getting to the NCAAs for the first time."

Poor Rutgers was 120 out of 120. Sad. Needs work.

http://collegefootballnews.com/2017/college-football-basketball-combination-rankings-no-1-to-130

I'm looking forward to a t-shirt that on the front says "Gonzaga - National Champions" with a picture of the goaltending, and then on the back, "Pound the Rock".

I would buy that shirt. It needs a lot of purple though.

Sorry, I am PROUD to root for Northwestern University! ;)

Home of the 20th best combined football/basketball program in 2016-17....

"20. Northwestern Wildcats
Football Spring Analysis & Ranking

Football: 7-6 overall, 5-4 in conference, T4th in Big Ten West

Basketball: 24-12 overall, 10-8 in conference, T6th in Big Ten

How Was The Football/Basketball Season? These are heady times in Evanston. Getting to a bowl game and winning it is still a big deal for the school, while nothing overshadowed the basketball team getting to the NCAAs for the first time."

Poor Rutgers was 120 out of 120. Sad. Needs work.

http://collegefootballnews.com/2017/college-football-basketball-combination-rankings-no-1-to-130

NU is just heading into a golden era for football and basketball.

And, go Zags!

I am a UNC degree holder (Masters of City and Regional Planning). I was there for the '93 NCAA title. So, I am rooting for UNC...but I am no apologist for the crap that went on. UNC owes Mary Willingham an apology. Don't hold your breath.

Sad that a school could create fake classes and get
caught and suffer nothing as a result. Just sad.

Reactions: scru
I was. GU got into one dog fight too many.
You don't deserve to be a NC if you cannot beat convincingly ANY NCAAT-level major conference team that you ever face...all season long...every one of their games against an NCAAT-level major conf team turned into a dogfight...EVERY SINGLE ONE...all season long...one dog fight too many.

Reactions: PurpleHaze525
You don't deserve to be a NC if you cannot beat convincingly ANY NCAAT-level major conference team that you ever face...all season long...every one of their games against an NCAAT-level major conf team turned into a dogfight...EVERY SINGLE ONE...all season long...one dog fight too many.

EVERY SINGLE ONE? Arizona says hi.

That was a 5 point game with a couple minutes left, without Arizona's leading scorer. Sounds more or less like a dogfight to me

Did you watch the game? Zags were firmly in control throughout. Was not a dogfight by any stretch of the imagination.

Did you watch the game? Zags were firmly in control throughout. Was not a dogfight by any stretch of the imagination.
Do you have the official definition of a dogfight? Don't call it then a dogfight if that makes you happy. Fact is a 5pt win is a 2-basket win, a 2 possession game, which is a very narrow margin. Most don't need to watch the entire game to notice that.

And the central point is not the official definition of a dogfight, whatever it is. The point is that ALL SEASON LONG Gonzaga was unable to beat ANY NCAAT level major conference team for more than a few baskets (single digits). For a half it seamed NU would be the very 1st one, but it all changed toward the end of the game. GU reached the S16 thanks to extremely generous officiating (to put it mildly).

Then it benefitted from upsets to other teams in their bracket which let them face a #11 seed when it should have been a #2, and a #7 seed when it should have been a #1. Huge differences!

In all, an extremely strange way of proving you are a top-2 team. The Gonzaga way!

Do you have the official definition of a dogfight? Don't call it then a dogfight if that makes you happy. Fact is a 5pt win is a 2-basket win, a 2 possession game, which is a very narrow margin. Most don't need to watch the entire game to notice that.

And the central point is not the official definition of a dogfight, whatever it is. The point is that ALL SEASON LONG Gonzaga was unable to beat ANY NCAAT level major conference team for more than a few baskets (single digits). For a half it seamed NU would be the very 1st one, but it all changed toward the end of the game. GU reached the S16 thanks to extremely generous officiating (to put it mildly).

Then it benefitted from upsets to other teams in their bracket which let them face a #11 seed when it should have been a #2, and a #7 seed when it should have been a #1. Huge differences!

In all, an extremely strange way of proving you are a top-2 team. The Gonzaga way!

Only in Feli's bizzaro world is the runner-up to the national title just a lucky and unworthy team. The same world where back-up role players at Cal and Michigan are likely to get scholarships at Duke over those who did. A world where our new arena is actually a step backwards. Let's not forget that the Cats weren't supposed to go to the Dance this year either in this imaginary world.

Only in Feli's bizzaro world is the runner-up to the national title just a lucky and unworthy team.
Poor attempt at trolling. In a tournament situation, you only need to win a few games in a row to reach the F4. With favorable officiating, and when your E8 opponent isn't even in the top 40, and your F4 opponent isn't even in the top 25, it's not that difficult to make it to the finals.

The facts are what they are. A true top-2 team shouldn't have so much difficulty beating *EVERY* NCAAT-level major conference team that it faces (all season long). It just shouldn't. But GU did. Whether it was SC, WVa, or NU in the T, or earlier in the season, FL, IaS, or AZ, they just couldn't beat the NCAAT-level major-conf teams by more that a basket or 2. Even against lowly (post-seasonless) Tenn they only managed a 10p win. Are they a good team? Yes. Are they a top-2 team? Heck no! Not even close.

They were supposed to finish their season in the 2nd round of the NCAAT against #32 NU. The refs bailed them out. That reflects their true standing.

Last edited:
Poor attempt at trolling. In a tournament situation, you only need to win a few games in a row to reach the F4. With favorable officiating, and when your Elite-8 opponent isn't even a top 40, and your F4 opponent isn't even in the top 25, is not that difficult to make it to the finals.

The facts are what they are. A true top-2 team shouldn't have so much difficulty beating *ANY* and *EVERY* NCAAT-level major conference team that it faces (all season long). It just shouldn't. But GU did. Whether it was SC, WVa, or NU in the T, or during OOC play, FL, IaS, or AZ, they just couldn't beat the NCAAT-level major-conf teams by more that a basket or 2. Even against lowly (post-seasonless) Tenn they only managed a 10p win. Are they a good team? Yes. Are they a top-2 team? Heck no! Not even close.

They were supposed to finish their season in the 2nd round against #32 NU. That reflects their true standing.

I forgot to add, in this world of yours, I'm the troll.

Yeah, makes a lot of sense.

Poor attempt at trolling. In a tournament situation, you only need to win a few games in a row to reach the F4. With favorable officiating, and when your E8 opponent isn't even in the top 40, and your F4 opponent isn't even in the top 25, it's not that difficult to make it to the finals.

The facts are what they are. A true top-2 team shouldn't have so much difficulty beating *EVERY* NCAAT-level major conference team that it faces (all season long). It just shouldn't. But GU did. Whether it was SC, WVa, or NU in the T, or earlier in the season, FL, IaS, or AZ, they just couldn't beat the NCAAT-level major-conf teams by more that a basket or 2. Even against lowly (post-seasonless) Tenn they only managed a 10p win. Are they a good team? Yes. Are they a top-2 team? Heck no! Not even close.

They were supposed to finish their season in the 2nd round of the NCAAT against #32 NU. The refs bailed them out. That reflects their true standing.

South Carolina, West Virginia, Florida, Iowa State, Arizona, and yes, Northwestern are pretty damn good basketball teams in case you hadn't noticed, and Gonzaga beat all of them. So you're berating them because they didn't beat them by enough points? Amazing. Apparently this year your top two team is one that has beaten teams by a lot of points and then watches the title game from the bleachers.

I am a UNC degree holder (Masters of City and Regional Planning). I was there for the '93 NCAA title. So, I am rooting for UNC...but I am no apologist for the crap that went on. UNC owes Mary Willingham an apology. Don't hold your breath.

Mary's a childhood friend from the Southside.

She never told a lie in her life.

Can't say every single one. Almost every NC team or team in the Championship game and usually teams in final 4 has a moment of truth during the tourney. Often it is luck that gets them bye. Even NC had their difficult game.

Can't say every single one. Almost every NC team or team in the Championship game and usually teams in final 4 has a moment of truth during the tourney. Often it is luck that gets them bye. Even NC had their difficult game.

Pretty sure that the National Champion isn't thinking about their 7 losses any more than the National Runner up is worried that their VICTORY margin is too skimpy for Feli's satisfaction. NC was a number 1 seed with 7 losses including 4 by double digits. They also lost to non tourney teams. Feli points out The zags only beat lowly postseasonless Tennessee by 10. NC beat them by 2! The problem with all of Feli's arguments is he keeps expanding and digs himself a bigger hole with his points. He never goes out and says who is a good top 4 team because his same argument can be used against him. Comical.

Sad that a school could create fake classes and get
caught and suffer nothing as a result. Just sad.
Just maybe the NCAA will wake up and make UNC forfeit their crown. No, probably not, since they haven't really done anything to Baylor or Pen St.

Stopped reading at "fact it was a 5pt win" since it wasn't a 5 pt win, Can't you get anything correct? I watched the entire game, was not a "dogfight" by any stretch of the imagination, except Feli's imagnation....

Hmmmm. This year Gonzaga finished 2nd with 5 NCAA tourney wins. Here's how they stack up the last three seasons in NCAA tourney wins (hint .... they're 2nd there too).

UNC 13, Gonzaga 10, Duke 9, Wisconsin 9, Villanova 8, Kentucky 8, Oregon 8, Kansas 7, Notre Dame 7

Sure North Carolina, Villanova and Duke have won National Titles over the past 3 seasons ... but only North Carolina has won more NCAA tourney games ('15-'17) than the Zags. And Gonzaga's average seed of 4.7 is above the average seeds of Nova (1.7), Duke (2.3), UNC (2.0), Kansas (1.3) Kentucky (2.3) Arizona (3.3) and Oregon (4.0) over the last three seasons.

Sorry you feel that some of those games (particularly against P5 schools) were "too close" for you ... but the fact of the matter is those 10 wins include a 19 point win over Iowa, a 12 point win over UCLA, a 16 point win over Seton Hall and a 23 point win over Utah.

Hmmmm. This year Gonzaga finished 2nd with 5 NCAA tourney wins. Here's how they stack up the last three seasons in NCAA tourney wins (hint .... they're 2nd there too).

UNC 13, Gonzaga 10, Duke 9, Wisconsin 9, Villanova 8, Kentucky 8, Oregon 8, Kansas 7, Notre Dame 7

Sure North Carolina, Villanova and Duke have won National Titles over the past 3 seasons ... but only North Carolina has won more NCAA tourney games ('15-'17) than the Zags. And Gonzaga's average seed of 4.7 is above the average seeds of Nova (1.7), Duke (2.3), UNC (2.0), Kansas (1.3) Kentucky (2.3) Arizona (3.3) and Oregon (4.0) over the last three seasons.

Sorry you feel that some of those games (particularly against P5 schools) were "too close" for you ... but the fact of the matter is those 10 wins include a 19 point win over Iowa, a 12 point win over UCLA, a 16 point win over Seton Hall and a 23 point win over Utah.
This just made me chuckle. The championship game was over a week ago, which makes me think this guy has spent the last 8 days visiting every other team fan board in the country to defend Gonzaga about some slight or another. Tuesday, April 11th is Northwestern day!

Uh, you're a visitor so you can be excused, but no need to provide a serious response to FeliSilvestris. None of us do.

Uh, you're a visitor so you can be excused, but no need to provide a serious response to FeliSilvestris. None of us do.
I finally ignored him about three weeks ago. It's glorious. If he criticizes me in response to this pronouncement, I'll have no idea!

Gonzaga lost because Karnowski "gagged". If his play was the result of his eye injury then I apologize. Both teams played terribly but Karnowski had the all time final game klinker

Gonzaga lost because Karnowski "gagged". If his play was the result of his eye injury then I apologize. Both teams played terribly but Karnowski had the all time final game klinker

Yes, Karnowski is the Anti-Bill Walton.

Reactions: NUCat320
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT