ADVERTISEMENT

Is Graggs termination inevitable?

WildcatAbe43

Jul 19, 2023
It’s pretty clear at this point that systematic issues were prevalent in NU athletics. Although a lot of this pre-dates Dr Gragg he still was present during some of it.

Just from an optics standpoint you’d think a new AD is needed.

It’s pretty clear at this point that systematic issues were prevalent in NU athletics. Although a lot of this pre-dates Dr Gragg he still was present during some of it.

Just from an optics standpoint you’d think a new AD is needed.
Optics? It sure seems at a minimum he was aware of the Baseball and volleyball allegations. His treatment of the remaining players is another reason to jettison this clown. Most Managers also directly hire their direct reports. Oh, also remind me of anything positive that he can even claim on his resume since he got the NU job. It’s joke that he hasn’t been relieved of his duties.

I think NU is learning the folly of moving too quickly on things.

The thing is, I don't think the media or the twitter mob is coming for Gragg right now, who can reasonably assert he's new/just got here/didn't have any credible reason to suspect unsavory activities (i.e. Camp Kenosha pre-dated him and apparently didn't continue after the pandemic). Not enough meat on the bone.

The thing is, I don't think the media or the twitter mob is coming for Gragg right now, who can reasonably assert he's new/just got here/didn't have any credible reason to suspect unsavory activities (i.e. Camp Kenosha pre-dated him and apparently didn't continue after the pandemic). Not enough meat on the bone.

He should be fired for his mishandling of the baseball and volleyball programs. He should be fired twice!

Everyday I log onto ESPN.com there is a new NU hazing allegation. It’s gone beyond football at this point. Clearly the athletic dept needs new leadership

Well, and for DEI reasons the media isn't going to go after Gragg...

Schill needs to go for his horrible handling of nearly every step of the football situation- damaging the university's reputation while pushing away donors and opening up the university to legal liability. Gragg was a spineless and poor leader, shirking responsibility on the football situation from what I can tell, but it's not obvious to me he needs to be fired strictly for that because I don't get the sense he was making the decisions on how to deal with it. The baseball situation on itself though should be enough to Gragg fired. The volleyball situation I don't know enough about yet, but the overall seeming athletics culture of unhappy student-athletes where complaints to the AD were not given proper response of consideration - seems to be a reason he should be gone.

The longer we leave these two buffoons in power, the more damage they will do IMO.

That said, there's nothing I've seen in the last couple weeks that indicates that the correct decision (removing both Schill and Gragg) is "inevitable".

The only case I can see to wait on that is to leave them in there while all the bad news comes out (and give the university time to properly vet potential replacements), then wait until the worst has passed to give the new President and AD some better chance to come in with a fresh slate and facilitate a turnaround.

Reactions: nickcat4 and DaCat

Didn’t the entirety of the Foster baseball coaching scandal happen under Gragg? He was aware of prior concerns, hired him anyway and sat on the problems until he (or Schill) finally fired Foster when the Fitz situation blew up?

HJ,

What is the over/under date on either the firing or the spontaneous combustion? If the latter occurs, please video and post.
It's hard to get video of a spontaneous combustion. If you knew in advance when to hit the red circle on the phone, then by definition the combustion would not be spontaneous. You'd have to have the tape constantly rolling everwhere he goes, which may not be desirable. Plus think of the amount of memory that would eat up...

I don’t want anyone to get fired. Didn’t mean to start this thread to rile up the masses. I am sure Dr Gragg is a fantastic guy and capable administrator. However, he is currently overseeing an athletic department that has accounted for the single most embarrassing actions in the history of the university.

I fail to see how a complete overhaul of Northwestern athletics wouldn’t be in order. One can even argue Dr Schill should be replaced.

I don’t want anyone to get fired. Didn’t mean to start this thread to rile up the masses. I am sure Dr Gragg is a fantastic guy and capable administrator. However, he is currently overseeing an athletic department that has accounted for the single most embarrassing actions in the history of the university.

I fail to see how a complete overhaul of Northwestern athletics wouldn’t be in order. One can even argue Dr Schill should be replaced.
I am not sure he's a fantastic guy, and even less confident he's a capable administrator.

Schill is target #1 he needs to go as soon as practicable (perhaps after working through the current situation). And Ggarg is the second most important, target #2, presumably if he is not fired alongside Schill then a (competent) new President would come in and see an obvious need for a change. We absolutely cannot have him hiring the next head football coach.

NU can't fire Gragg while defending itself against racism.

The moment for that came and went when NU just overlooked the baseball debacle. You see the management skills at the BOT right there. "Why not do nothing?"

With his damaged rep, Gragg can't even go somewhere else, either.

Finding new coaching talent for NU was always going to be a challenge, but now it's gotten much worse and continues to get worse, and NU is stuck with Gragg for the forseeable future.

The only way NU will attract the coaching talent it needs is to pay the new coaches handsomely. Might even overcome Gragg's limitations.

Gragg can be fired at any time for his job performance (or lack thereof). If NU is that worried about optics then they can hire another black man to replace him, but Gragg's absence of leadership is costing NU dearly and they would do better to cut him loose sooner than later.

The moment for that came and went when NU just overlooked the baseball debacle. You see the management skills at the BOT right there. "Why not do nothing?"

With his damaged rep, Gragg can't even go somewhere else, either.

Finding new coaching talent for NU was always going to be a challenge, but now it's gotten much worse and continues to get worse, and NU is stuck with Gragg for the forseeable future.

The only way NU will attract the coaching talent it needs is to pay the new coaches handsomely. Might even overcome Gragg's limitations.
Today’s Trib report of Gragg’s sexism should finish off him and Schill after yesterday’s unequivocal defense.

• Wow
Reactions: FeralFelidae
Well, and for DEI reasons the media isn't going to go after Gragg...

Schill needs to go for his horrible handling of nearly every step of the football situation- damaging the university's reputation while pushing away donors and opening up the university to legal liability. Gragg was a spineless and poor leader, shirking responsibility on the football situation from what I can tell, but it's not obvious to me he needs to be fired strictly for that because I don't get the sense he was making the decisions on how to deal with it. The baseball situation on itself though should be enough to Gragg fired. The volleyball situation I don't know enough about yet, but the overall seeming athletics culture of unhappy student-athletes where complaints to the AD were not given proper response of consideration - seems to be a reason he should be gone.

The longer we leave these two buffoons in power, the more damage they will do IMO.

That said, there's nothing I've seen in the last couple weeks that indicates that the correct decision (removing both Schill and Gragg) is "inevitable".

The only case I can see to wait on that is to leave them in there while all the bad news comes out (and give the university time to properly vet potential replacements), then wait until the worst has passed to give the new President and AD some better chance to come in with a fresh slate and facilitate a turnaround.
Gragg lost me with the handling of Basketball.

For the record, I 100% agree. I'm just not expecting it for precisely the reason other people have cited in various conversations here - they want him in line as a good soldier when it comes time to testify.
Like the quote attributed to Ben Franklin: "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately"

Gragg lost me with the handling of Basketball.
His handling of basketball is a career NU highlight. Some on here credit Gragg with forcing CCC to make changes and you can at least make that argument. I find that credit as ridiculous, but it is still the only thing I can remotely think of that can be argued he did correctly.

It was a bad hire from the get go. It was obvious well before this scandal. His baseball hiring/firing and lack of interview/vetting show a real incompetence or lack of caring. He is the NU version of Punxsutawney Phil. He and his boss hide behind prepared statements and everyone else takes bullets. Where is he?

I take a different view to this entire process.

If there are changes to be made, they must be made in the following order: 1) President; 2) Athletic Director; 3) Permanent Head Football Coach .

Any deviation from that makes a hiring of HC or AD one made on a foundation of sand, rather than concrete. Nobody of any quality is going to take a short term contract (under the present circumstances ) if someone higher up is going to come in and want their own imprint.

I continue to assume that Schill made his turnaround in concert with discussions with members of the BoT either informally or by gathering consensus. I’m stunned that there’s anyone who thinks it would have been tenable to keep Fitz as each new allegation dropped out. Each new allegation would have made the previous incremental punishment seem silly and that the administration was perpetually under reacting.

Schill is not Morty, and while he needs to understand the role of athletics as the front porch to a University, it’s not why he took the job. He needs to trust a strong leader to keep the stupid stuff off the President’s plate, yet ensure the President is never blindsided. ADs should have a clause in their contract that causes it to end one year after a sitting president retires or otherwise leaves service. This allows a “getting to know you” period for a new leader (and possible extension) while providing a timely exit if the relationship is not a good fit.

If the BoT intends to stick with Schill (or cut bait), it behooves the BoT to make up its collective mind sooner than later and let both parties get on with their lives, be it together or separately. If it’s the latter, the university is uniquely positioned to move forward swiftly as they know most of the likely interested parties.

Not saying he would not be a great candidate but why would he take the position?

Because NU will pay him. Ditto the new HC of football. And the new DC and new OC.

The lack of urgency at NU sucks donkeys.

Perhaps we are being too hard on doctor Gragg. I'm thinking of getting him a gift that truly reflects his Leadership during this crisis. Which do you like best?

I take a different view to this entire process.

If there are changes to be made, they must be made in the following order: 1) President; 2) Athletic Director; 3) Permanent Head Football Coach .

Any deviation from that makes a hiring of HC or AD one made on a foundation of sand, rather than concrete. Nobody of any quality is going to take a short term contract (under the present circumstances ) if someone higher up is going to come in and want their own imprint.

I continue to assume that Schill made his turnaround in concert with discussions with members of the BoT either informally or by gathering consensus. I’m stunned that there’s anyone who thinks it would have been tenable to keep Fitz as each new allegation dropped out. Each new allegation would have made the previous incremental punishment seem silly and that the administration was perpetually under reacting.

Schill is not Morty, and while he needs to understand the role of athletics as the front porch to a University, it’s not why he took the job. He needs to trust a strong leader to keep the stupid stuff off the President’s plate, yet ensure the President is never blindsided. ADs should have a clause in their contract that causes it to end one year after a sitting president retires or otherwise leaves service. This allows a “getting to know you” period for a new leader (and possible extension) while providing a timely exit if the relationship is not a good fit.

If the BoT intends to stick with Schill (or cut bait), it behooves the BoT to make up its collective mind sooner than later and let both parties get on with their lives, be it together or separately. If it’s the latter, the university is uniquely positioned to move forward swiftly as they know most of the likely interested parties.
AS much as I would like to see Ggarg exited as quickly as possible, I think the next Prez has to given the opportunity to hire the next AD. I think Ggarg was a bad hire, and his handling of the baseball situation alone is enough to warrant dismissal.

Reactions: 2388bb
I’m stunned that there’s anyone who thinks it would have been tenable to keep Fitz as each new allegation dropped out.

They did a 6 month review.
What are the new allegations? Some guy and his buddy were doing naked pullups?
Seriously?
If you meant to write "Many of Richardson's claims were corroborated by at least a couple other players" then okay.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT