ADVERTISEMENT

Is Minnesota that good

To me, it’s s trap game. Minnesota has more on the line as they need 6 wins, they have 5, and they face Wisconsin next week. We don’t have much to prove. And this happen to be the obnoxious coach the rowed the boat over us in the opener last year that actually got him the Minny job. So, I’m sure our staff is aware but I am weary.
Did you believe last week was a trap game as well? It was essentially a bowl elimination game for Purdue.

To me, it’s s trap game. Minnesota has more on the line as they need 6 wins, they have 5, and they face Wisconsin next week. We don’t have much to prove. And this happen to be the obnoxious coach the rowed the boat over us in the opener last year that actually got him the Minny job. So, I’m sure our staff is aware but I am weary.

Can we ban "trap game" for the rest of this season?

Otherwise I'm going to call our bowl a trap game.

Because we will be so looking past them for our matchup with the mighty Illini?

Is there a B1G game since PSU that hasn’t been labeled as a “trap game” around here?

I'm coming around to agreeing with you. Nebraska may have played badly, but the Gophers played with a clear desire to win no matter what. The Gophers have tended to give NU fits, certainly demonstrated that last year and although this year's Gopher team is different, they appear to be highly and perhaps suddenly motivated. I would not count this as a victory until it is. They have some startlingly quick, elusive players, and if Fleck is getting them together as a team, watch out!

I'm coming around to agreeing with you. Nebraska may have played badly, but the Gophers played with a clear desire to win no matter what. The Gophers have tended to give NU fits, certainly demonstrated that last year and although this year's Gopher team is different, they appear to be highly and perhaps suddenly motivated. I would not count this as a victory until it is. They have some startlingly quick, elusive players, and if Fleck is getting them together as a team, watch out!

But still, they can't throw the ball at all, and how are they going to run against us when we haven't allowed more than 112 rushing yards to a BIG opponent, including Wisky?

All the desire to win in the world doesn't help if you don't have the tools to execute the win.

I don't think many are saying it will be an easy game. They are an ascending team with a coach who is starting to put his imprint on the team. My point is that we should not look at their margin of victory vs. Nebraska as compared to ours and draw any conclusions. Nebraska played brutally against Minnesota on the road coming off of a demoralizing loss at home against us. They were not the same team we saw the previous week. They will not be able to just run the ball against us and have similar success. Craft will need to be threat in the passing game if they want to beat us.

Croft has improved significantly and if his receivers would catch the ball his passing stats would be much better. He ran the read option to perfection vs Nebraska and did not have to pass a lot to win the game.The Gopher have 3 excellent RBs in Rodney Smith, Shannon Brooks and Kobe McCrary-NFL caliber. The offensive line has been battered by injuries but has played well. The defensive has a solid front 7 but the CBs are suspect. Nebraska played poorly in all phases of the game and had little energy once they got behind. NU has to be a slight favorite.

Croft has improved significantly and if his receivers would catch the ball his passing stats would be much better. He ran the read option to perfection vs Nebraska and did not have to pass a lot to win the game.The Gopher have 3 excellent RBs in Rodney Smith, Shannon Brooks and Kobe McCrary-NFL caliber. The offensive line has been battered by injuries but has played well. The defensive has a solid front 7 but the CBs are suspect. Nebraska played poorly in all phases of the game and had little energy once they got behind. NU has to be a slight favorite.

If that’s the “tremendously improved” version of Croft, then I’m even less worried about the Gophers than I was before. And I wasn’t very worried before.

And you don’t have three NFL-caliber backs. Smith has a shot as a late round or UDFA; Brooks is mostly a nice college player and don’t see why McCrary would be on NFL radars.

I hope they remember that obnoxious coach mugging for photos and talking all kinds of trash after last years game. We owe him one. My only concern is the game is much more important to Minny than us.

So his receivers are going to suddenly improve their catching abilities against us? I will concede he didn't have to pass against Nebby, but he will absolutely need to do so vs. us, as our defense is where running backs go to die (Heisman hopeful Taylor ran for 80 yards vs us, and no back has topped 90 in the BIG vs. us) .

And what explains the other games where Croft has averaged less than 8 completions per game? That will absolutely not get it done vs. us, unless the game is 7-0 or something like that.

If that’s the “tremendously improved” version of Croft, then I’m even less worried about the Gophers than I was before. And I wasn’t very worried before.

And you don’t have three NFL-caliber backs. Smith has a shot as a late round or UDFA; Brooks is mostly a nice college player and don’t see why McCrary would be on NFL radars.
I was referring only to McCrary a 240 bruiser with balance and elusiveness. He could be a late round pick and short yardage NFL back.

I watched the TD runs he had on read options against Nebraska. He may have run them to perfection but there is no way those plays should have resulted in long gains or TD. He scored because of comical missed tackles and /or blatantly missed assignments. That won't happen against NU.

Did you believe last week was a trap game as well? It was essentially a bowl elimination game for Purdue.

Purdue had a great run defense and I would not take them lightly but our passing game was just too much for them. Minny is a different animal. We should beat them but they have a running QB that will be the best since Duke (another inferior team we should have beaten on paper). Running QBs seem to give us a little issue.

The match-up on paper easily favors us because our strength is our run defense. There was one exception (Duke) and the exception is the trap (running QB).

Trap games don’t mean we lose them. They just mean we need to be really ready. It would be a good time for our offense to kick it up a notch and just put this out of reach early.

Minnesota is to NU what we are to Iowa and Wisconsin.

Those programs don't think there is any reason that NU should beat them, but we beat them as often as not. Minnesota has given us some trouble over the years when I didn't expect it. There is no room on this team for complacency. Not when you have a loss to Duke on your schedule. The Goofs are better than Duke so we better have our shit together.

Reactions: TerraCat
To answer the OQ Is Minnesota that good?

No, but Fleck is that good and he will have the team ready to compete. This will be a dogfight.

Minnesota is to NU what we are to Iowa and Wisconsin.

Those programs don't think there is any reason that NU should beat them, but we beat them as often as not. Minnesota has given us some trouble over the years when I didn't expect it. There is no room on this team for complacency. Not when you have a loss to Duke on your schedule. The Goofs are better than Duke so we better have our shit together.

Their QB hasn't proven that he is better than the Duke QB and that is the main point of this thread. Daniel Jones beat us with his legs and his arm while Croft to date has not shown that he can beat a team with his arm. Watch the plays he made with his feet against Nebraska and you will find blatant missed assignments ( no one in the hole) or comical missed tackles where the defender flat out trips over his own feet. I believe Minnesota is an improving, dangerous team that presents a bigger obstacle than Purdue did at this stage of the season. That being said, the title of this thread is "Is Minnesota That Good ?". In other words, is the score of their victory against Nebraska indicative of a team that is that much better than the Nebraska team we beat in overtime the previous week. I think the answer to that question is no. The Nebraska team we played was at home and did not play defense in the atrocious way that I saw them play in the highlights against Minnesota. In addition, a poster mentioned that Nebraska's QB, Lee, missed a portion of the game due to injury. Those are all factors that helped Minnesota pad their margin in what was otherwise an impressive victory.

Last edited:
Reactions: FightNorthwestern
Their QB hasn't proven that he is better than the Duke QB and that is the main point of this thread. Daniel Jones beat us with his legs and his arm while Croft to date has not shown that he can beat a team with his arm. Watch the plays he made with his feet against Nebraska and you will find blatant missed assignments ( no one in the hole) or comical missed tackles where the defender flat out trips over his own feet. I believe Minnesota is an improving, dangerous team that presents a bigger obstacle than Purdue did at this stage of the season. That being said, the title of this thread is "Is Minnesota That Good ?". In other words, is the score of their victory against Nebraska indicative of a team that is that much better than the Nebraska team we beat in overtime the previous week. I think the answer to that question is no. The Nebraska team we played was at home and did not play defense in the atrocious way that I saw them play in the highlights against Minnesota. In addition, a poster mentioned that Nebraskas QB, Lee, missed a portion of the game due to injury. Those are all factors that helped Minnesota pad their margin in what was otherwise an impressive victory.
The good news for us is that Matt Alviti is probably similar to and better than Croft at this point in their respective careers. The defense should be getting some excellent practice reps against a comparable offensive look.

Let's repeat here. Northwestern should have and would have won the Western Michigan game last year if Thorson didn't idiotically fumble the ball at the goal line. Fleck did not lead his team to a dominant victory or anything like that. Let's make that clear.

Welcome to the board MD. Appreciate your optimistic assessment of your team. Good and loyal fans around here are a different bunch. We tend to focus more on warts than wins. Just win baby still has a hard time getting traction around here.

So you know your team. Can they stop NU's running game straight up with their front four? Can they get pressure on the QB without blitzing too much? Do you have a WR that can run by or jump over DBs? I think those are the keys. Hold NU under 20 points without over committing one way or another and hit a couple of big plays in the passing game, and the Gophers could steal the W in a 20-16 type game.

Let NU run the ball or stop it by selling out, and it will likely be a long day for the visitors. NU's run defense is the real deal.

GOUNUII

I think you are both right. The report said something about a migraine possibly linked to a previous concussion.
Makes sense to me. Thanks!

Regarding the game, not sure what to think. I think we have a chance, but will need to play our best game of the season. Defending the edge on defense, and completing passes will be key. If Northwestern University's defense can key on the run all day, it will be a very Michigan like game for the Gophers. If we can do enough of each, we have a punchers chance.

How is NU's special teams. One area we might have an edge at is punting. Santoso can flip a field. If the defense can keep it flipped, this could be a difference maker.

Reactions: StreamCat

Regarding the game, not sure what to think. I think we have a chance, but will need to play our best game of the season. Defending the edge on defense, and completing passes will be key. If Northwestern University's defense can key on the run all day, it will be a very Michigan like game for the Gophers. If we can do enough of each, we have a punchers chance.

How is NU's special teams. One area we might have an edge at is punting. Santoso can flip a field. If the defense can keep it flipped, this could be a difference maker.

To the Gopher fans:

How have you guys been on the road this year? I was at the Minn-Mich game in Ann Arbor, and it absolutely looked as if the Gophers wanted to be anywhere else but the Big House that night. Has that been a pattern on the road, or was that just a one-off? The turn-around this week was amazing. Is it a home/road thing? Just a bad match-up? Which is the real Gopher team?

As a running team with a great run defense, we're much more like Mich than Neb. Looking forward to fun senior day on Saturday morning.

Our special teams have been spectacularly adequate. Kuhbander is a solid Freshman placekicker when Fitz lets him kick. Hunter the Punter is consistent but nothing great. Returners make few mistakes but our superstar return man, Solomon Vault, was lost for the season during training camp.

To the Gopher fans:

How have you guys been on the road this year? I was at the Minn-Mich game in Ann Arbor, and it absolutely looked as if the Gophers wanted to be anywhere else but the Big House that night. Has that been a pattern on the road, or was that just a one-off? The turn-around this week was amazing. Is it a home/road thing? Just a bad match-up? Which is the real Gopher team?

As a running team with a great run defense, we're much more like Mich than Neb. Looking forward to fun senior day on Saturday morning.

Well, the only road game I made this season was Ann Arbor, so I can only tell you that they are 1 - 3 on the road. They actually were in the game at Iowa from all accounts. They played poorly at Purdue, and were mismatched at Michigan.

The one thing that gives most of us hope is that the team appears to be picking up Fleck's system(s).

Beating Minny is at the top of my wish list, for no other reason then to watch that showboat Fleck sulking on the sidelines. Watched last week when he full out sprinted from one 20 to the other when the teams switched sides at the end of a quarter and as he jumped around and onto players backs celebrating something. He does all of his theatrics to focus the attention and the cameras on him. A real jerk.

Not to mention Minny has played very chippy and last year outright dirty. Knocked Carr out of the game and two other targeting that were amazingly not called, a vicious hit on Skowronek and a helmet to helmet on JJTBC after he dropped a screen pass. Honestly I’m concerned they are going to get some cheap shots in at risk to our guys.

Not to mention Minny has played very chippy and last year outright dirty. Knocked Carr out of the game and two other targeting that were amazingly not called, a vicious hit on Skowronek and a helmet to helmet on JJTBC after he dropped a screen pass. Honestly I’m concerned they are going to get some cheap shots in at risk to our guys.

Different coach, different team.

I really liked Jerry Kill. Tracy Claeys? Not so much. As you mentioned, he seemed to condone dirty play. Additionally, he had axes to grind (fired OC Limegrover almost immediately) and was obvious to the culture surrounding the program. Not my type of guy.

Minnesota was smart to move on from him, especially with Fleck available.

Last edited:

I really liked Jerry Kill. Tracy Claeys? Not so much. As you mentioned, he seemed to condone dirty play. Additionally, he had axes to grind (fired OC Limegrover almost immediately) and was obvious to the culture surrounding the program. Not my type of guy.

I am not sure whether Fleck is actually a top quality coach or not but by all accounts he appears to be an upbeat motivator and generally positive. I would not expect the chippiness that the team showed under Claeys.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1

As you say, Kill pretty descent. Claeys did seem to condone the headhunting. Compare those hits to what we have been charged for targeting for. The targeting calls against us have been pretty bogus. With MN last year, let's just say they were called for a lot and got away with more. Glad to see Claeys gone. Didn't want that in BIG. Have not seen such actions from Fleck but I have not watched that much of their games.

Well I can say one good thing. The coaches have cleaned up the targeting issue. IIRC Not one targeting penalty this season. I think you'll see more discipline defensively.

I am not sure whether Fleck is actually a top quality coach or not but by all accounts he appears to be an upbeat motivator and generally positive. I would not expect the chippiness that the team showed under Claeys.

Agreed.

It remains to be seen whether Fleck can have success in the BIG (and long term success anywhere), but the guy, as you said, is a good motivator and has a reputation as an excellent recruiter.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Gophers have outside of their yearly match up w/ NU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT