ADVERTISEMENT

Is the playoff good for College FB?

I think it is destructive.
Personally, I am an old fart and I liked the way it was before the BCS. The single most unique thing about college football was getting up on New Year's Day and going through all of the possible game outcomes to see what was the most outlandish team that could possibly win an NC through a perfect storm of events through the day.

New Years parties where someone's game room or den was filled with television sets all tuned to different games was amazing and something that I definitely miss. The modern set-up where everything is so carefully choreographed to minimize the number of game overlaps is somewhat sterile to me.

Finally, the thing people hated about the old system was the best part about it. Nearly every year there was some argument or question concerning who was the real NC and whether they truly deserved it. This kept college football discussions alive and fevered for months. The play-off sports are pretty much done when they are done. No further argument, the team won or lost it on the court. I understand a play-off gives better closure to a season but to me it is more boring.

I think it is destructive.
It will end up 8 and then 16, further relegating the regular season and non playoff bowls.

I'm sure you've heard that ESPN doesn't give a sh1te, with the lesser bowls they get cheap, live programming that rates higher than most of their other nonsense

Personally, I am an old fart and I liked the way it was before the BCS. The single most unique thing about college football was getting up on New Year's Day and going through all of the possible game outcomes to see what was the most outlandish team that could possibly win an NC through a perfect storm of events through the day.

New Years parties where someone's game room or den was filled with television sets all tuned to different games was amazing and something that I definitely miss. The modern set-up where everything is so carefully choreographed to minimize the number of game overlaps is somewhat sterile to me.

Finally, the thing people hated about the old system was the best part about it. Nearly every year there was some argument or question concerning who was the real NC and whether they truly deserved it. This kept college football discussions alive and fevered for months. The play-off sports are pretty much done when they are done. No further argument, the team won or lost it on the court. I understand a play-off gives better closure to a season but to me it is more boring.

Man Glide, I'm getting to where I could just add me too to all your posts.

Don't know who you hung out with but "family rooms full of televisions" is not something I ever experienced. Maybe at the local pub.

Don't know who you hung out with but "family rooms full of televisions" is not something I ever experienced. Maybe at the local pub.
Where I come from, this was a New Year's Day standard.

Someone with a basement or a large game room would host a party and bring in four or so televisions for the day each tuned to a different channel. They were usually small televisions except for the large cabinet model on which played the consensus most important game. Everybody got there around mid morning and stayed to the end of the evening game.

Then the stalwarts stayed on to argue about who would end up as NC.

New Years was a fabulous holiday.

Last edited:
Where I come from, this was a New Year's Day standard.

Someone with a basement or a large game room would host a party and get four or so televisions each tuned to a different channel. They were usually small televisions accept for the large cabinet model on which played the consensus most important game. Everybody got there around mid morning and stayed to the end of the evening game.

Then the stalwarts stayed on to argue about who would end up as NC.

New Years was a fabulous holiday.

I totally concur. Outback Bowl (nee Hall of Fame Bowl) went off first at 10AM (central), I recall it actually started off on NBC. Citrus (ABC) went off at 11. Cotton (CBS) went off at noon. Later you had Fiesta (NBC), Rose (ABC), Orange (NBC), and Sugar (ABC). I don't even pay attention to halftimes anymore. Does the Orange Bowl still have the extravagant halftime show?

Two boring games a rematch for the national title just like the NFL stupor bowl snooze fest .

Oh, I think we should have a 16-team playoff so we can watch Alabama score several boring routs------NOT! The four teamer is plenty for the purists who want a "true" national champ.

whatever system generates the most $$ for the coaches, football programs and athletic departments is good by me. i suspect that will mean a move to an 8 team field in the next couple of years.

I think Alabama should be disbanded, with their current players allocated other P5 programs via draft, with conference winners excluded from the draft.

I think there should be relegation like in soccer. Send Purdue and Rutgers to the MAC and promote WMU and Ohio. Kansas goes to the WAC and Boise to the Big 10.

I totally concur. Outback Bowl (nee Hall of Fame Bowl) went off first at 10AM (central), I recall it actually started off on NBC. Citrus (ABC) went off at 11. Cotton (CBS) went off at noon. Later you had Fiesta (NBC), Rose (ABC), Orange (NBC), and Sugar (ABC). I don't even pay attention to halftimes anymore. Does the Orange Bowl still have the extravagant halftime show?
No, not actual college type ones, anyway. Don't remember which game watching on Friday but the half time "entertainment" featured a screaming rock band, along with the prerequisite gyrating dancers. Couldn't turn it off fast enough and I shutter to think what is planned for NC game. I also vote to go back to the old bowl games but that will never happen because of the money.

How anybody could want to go back to the old system is beyond me. The only adjustment I would make would be to go back to the computers to pick the final four as the human element has its inherent biases.

How anybody could want to go back to the old system is beyond me. The only adjustment I would make would be to go back to the computers to pick the final four as the human element has its inherent biases.
So do the computer programmers and the creators of the data that they are inputting. The only way to remove subjectivity would be to eliminate the regular season altogether and start with a 160 team play-off.

It will end up 8 and then 16, further relegating the regular season and non playoff bowls.

I'm sure you've heard that ESPN doesn't give a sh1te, with the lesser bowls they get cheap, live programming that rates higher than most of their other nonsense

Regular season already became relegated when they let a team that didn't even win its division into the final four. Have eight teams, including the five power conference champions and three at-large. That would make winning your conference relevant.

So do the computer programmers and the creators of the data that they are inputting. The only way to remove subjectivity would be to eliminate the regular season altogether and start with a 160 team play-off.
They had that. It was called the regular season.

They had that. It was called the regular season.
Not even close. That statement assumes that the P5 conferences have some similarity of parity at the top and that the independents and non-P5 conferences are non- factors and that the biases of the poll voters are exactly correct. The regular season is nothing like a 160 team play-off.

The entire concept of trying to come to 'one true champion' among 128 teams in 15 weeks of competition with limited national overlap is foolish.

In the 'old' system, you would have seen something like:

Sugar: Bama v Clemson
Cotton: Oklahoma v USC
Orange: Florida State v Michigan (no more Big East to hold down the orange)
Rose: Penn State v Washington
Fiesta: Ohio State v Notre Dame (I kid! Probably Colorado)

And Clemson would beat Bama and OSU would blow out Colorado and then you'd just go to your grave certain your team was the true champion.

Note: Notre Dame remains the rightful 1993 national champion, by virtue of beating Half-Ass U in the regular season. Duh.

Last edited:
The entire concept of trying to come to 'one true champion' among 128 teams in 15 weeks of competition with limited national overlap is foolish.

In the 'old' system, you would have seen something like:

Sugar: Bama v Clemson
Cotton: Oklahoma v Florida State
Orange: Florida State v Michigan (no more Big East to hold down the orange)
Rose: Penn State v Washington
Fiesta: Ohio State v Notre Dame (I kid! Probably Colorado)

And Clemson would beat Bama and OSU would blow out Colorado and then you'd just go to your grave certain your team was the true champion.
Absolutely. And we would all be arguing about it from January 2 to September. It was great!

Reactions: StreamCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT