ADVERTISEMENT

It’s time to move on from Collins

The hope was that he could recruit a different kind of talent to NU but that hasn’t happened. For NU to compete with inferior athletes they need to be impeccably coached and Collins just isn’t a good X’s and O’s coach. He’s not working out here. Our program is going backwards.
Take two pills. Please. Last thing we need is you talking about firing another coach again. Geez

And please don't start all of your Carmody crap again.

Look, I know you and others are hoping for a coup where Collins gets whacked and then Baldwin is announced the coach and he brings in his kid.

Just relax, most of you didn't think we would win 5 games in the Big this year and we already bagged 3.
6 wins is a solid year in this conference and I bet we get there.

Next up: Wisc., PSU, Rutgers, Mich., Purdue, IU, Rutgers......will anybody take 3-4? Why do
Cats pieces/parts never seem to fit together?

Reactions: drewjin
Next up: Wisc., PSU, Rutgers, Mich., Purdue, IU, Rutgers......will anybody take 3-4? Why do
Cats pieces/parts never seem to fit together?

3-4 would leave us on the bubble, so absolutely. Just not sure where the three come from.

Did anyone see the BTN spot on the Rutgers center. He was recruited by many but only Rutgers took his desire to be an engineering major to heart and had him sit in on some lectures-Rutgers is a very good state school with many strong disciplines. Stereotyping BB players is sometimes shortsighted

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Did anyone see the BTN spot on the Rutgers center. He was recruited by many but only Rutgers took his desire to be an engineering major to heart and had him sit in on some lectures-Rutgers is a very good state school with many strong disciplines. Stereotyping BB players is sometimes shortsighted
Yes, saw that. Seems like a great kid with great parents. The Ayo and Kopp pieces were also very well done. Three really good kids.

Some thoughts on CC vs. other coaches

-I naively thought we could be better than Purdue this year. I continue to see a Purdue roster that is, arguably, not better than ours. Their seconds best scorer is not better than Kopp. Yet, Painter seems to get a lot more from what he has

-Down the road, at DePaul, lives another paradox of a coach. Like CC, he recruits better than others did before him. His next year incoming crop is stacked. Yet, he seems to get even less than CC out of what he has. Watching them play Butler last night was pathetic. Their maturity of play on the floor makes the Cats look like a seasoned team with superb shot selection. I imagine their fans having the same type of discussions NU fans do.

PS - Comments on Painter could easily fit Lavall Jordan

It is interesting to see that my much maligned post is now on its 5th page over a month later. Just as my hot take after the Pitt loss was ridiculous, so to were the hot takes after three opening BIG wins. Thus, Northwestern basketball remains an enigma.

Some thoughts on CC vs. other coaches

-I naively thought we could be better than Purdue this year. I continue to see a Purdue roster that is, arguably, not better than ours. Their seconds best scorer is not better than Kopp. Yet, Painter seems to get a lot more from what he has

-Down the road, at DePaul, lives another paradox of a coach. Like CC, he recruits better than others did before him. His next year incoming crop is stacked. Yet, he seems to get even less than CC out of what he has. Watching them play Butler last night was pathetic. Their maturity of play on the floor makes the Cats look like a seasoned team with superb shot selection. I imagine their fans having the same type of discussions NU fans do.

PS - Comments on Painter could easily fit Lavall Jordan
I watched the second half of the PU-OSU game last night. Painter gets more out of his team than any other B1G coach. His kids defend like hell and every game is a dog fight. Can you see NU beating the Boilers? I can't.

Meanwhile, Pitt beat Duke last night, becoming the first team coached by a former K assistant to beat the master.

I watched the second half of the PU-OSU game last night. Painter gets more out of his team than any other B1G coach. His kids defend like hell and every game is a dog fight. Can you see NU beating the Boilers? I can't.
My biggest problem with our team is the lackadaisical effort on display at times. Not bodying up on rebounds, not bringing the intensity all the time. I think part of that is coaching, but part of it is on the players to know their fundamentals, be accountable for each other, and bust their ass all game long. We need a nasty guy or two and we don't have that.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
It is interesting to see that my much maligned post is now on its 5th page over a month later. Just as my hot take after the Pitt loss was ridiculous, so to were the hot takes after three opening BIG wins. Thus, Northwestern basketball remains an enigma.
Your negativity is sad. If you are so miserable watching our program then quit watching and root for another team. Maybe the buckeyes.
Your constant barbie tantrums about Collins is ridiculous. Granted you and I both liked Carmody but he isn't coming back so deal with it.

Your negativity is sad. If you are so miserable watching our program then quit watching and root for another team. Maybe the buckeyes.
Your constant barbie tantrums about Collins is ridiculous. Granted you and I both liked Carmody but he isn't coming back so deal with it.
Not cool. He called the team an enigma. Thats not insulting.I was about to ask of enigma meant terrible. That IS insulting

My biggest problem with our team is the lackadaisical effort on display at times. Not bodying up on rebounds, not bringing the intensity all the time. I think part of that is coaching, but part of it is on the players to know their fundamentals, be accountable for each other, and bust their ass all game long. We need a nasty guy or two and we don't have that.
Can't disagree with this. Who's our new Sanjay Lumpkin?

My position coming into the year was that the team needed to show that it was building toward another tournament appearance, or Collins would have to go. I did not expect that they would do so. After the Pitt game, I really did not expect that they would do so. Well, after two B1G games, it looks like they are doing so. Thumbs up.

After ten B1G games, things are a bit different.

• Sad
After ten B1G games, things are a bit different.
Losing streaks under Collins are nothing new. NU had a 12 game B1G losing streak last year. They had 2 10-game losing streaks in previous years. Coming up for NU are Rutgers, Michigan, @Purdue, Indiana, @Rutgers, @Illinois, Wisconsin, @Minny, and MD. NU will be the underdog in every one of those games. NU likely will be on a 16 game losing streak going into the finale against Nebraska. Pound the Rock, Baby!!

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin and Styre
He makes millions, I am sure there are others out there who will be happy to make millions who might be better. Good enough for me.

He makes millions, I am sure there are others out there who will be happy to make millions who might be better. Good enough for me.
The worst thing is that I find myself not caring much anymore. We're back where we were before the miracle tourney run... a program with no hope. So fire him... don't fire him. I don't think it makes any difference.

The worst thing is that I find myself not caring much anymore. We're back where we were before the miracle tourney run... a program with no hope. So fire him... don't fire him. I don't think it makes any difference.
That’s kind of where I have landed. It’s hard to work up much enthusiasm for the program right now.

Reactions: IGNORE2 and pnt16
That’s kind of where I have landed. It’s hard to work up much enthusiasm for the program right now.
I third that. Can’t remember the last time I watched a game without feeling much of anything when the ball in, did not go in... felt like I was watching a random game on TV. At least it was not a blow out I guess

• Sad
Same here. I don't watch the games, and am not surprised when they come up short. Collins is Carmody with a better recruiting record but worse in-game coaching and player development.

Collins just dropped below his predecessor in career winning percentage at NU.

Collins just dropped below his predecessor in career winning percentage at NU.
He sits at .300 this year, slightly above his long-term average, after playing the toughest schedule in the nation.

He sits at .300 this year, slightly above his long-term average, after playing the toughest schedule in the nation.

That's his B1G winning percentage, not overall winning percentage, and it's actually below his career B1G winning percentage of .329. Overall, he has a .475 record at NU, slightly below his predecessor's .478.

Tel this to those 3 stellar recruits we have coming in. Geez Louise.
Every year we read about Collins’ latest great recruiting class. Then they show up and, for whatever reason, do not develop. I am not going to waste my time trying to analyze why this happens anymore. At some point, you are what your record says you are. And I don’t have the energy to care much anymore. I check the scores, not much changes and I move on.

Every year we read about Collins’ latest great recruiting class. Then they show up and, for whatever reason, do not develop. I am not going to waste my time trying to analyze why this happens anymore. At some point, you are what your record says you are. And I don’t have the energy to care much anymore. I check the scores, not much changes and I move on.
Certainly your prerogative. I don’t see such calamity. I disagree with the football comparisons - we really can’t expect to get the very FEW elite players that make up a basketball team. In football, it’s many more pieces and dependently hugely on schemes; a few guys have less impact. And it’s hard to compare to Fitz; he’s an absolute gem. It’s a long-term play for Collins, and I at least go into games during his tenure knowing we have a much better chance of winning than in the Carmody years. And I think that chance will increase more.

Reactions: macarthur31
Certainly your prerogative. I don’t see such calamity. I disagree with the football comparisons - we really can’t expect to get the very FEW elite players that make up a basketball team. In football, it’s many more pieces and dependently hugely on schemes; a few guys have less impact. And it’s hard to compare to Fitz; he’s an absolute gem. It’s a long-term play for Collins, and I at least go into games during his tenure knowing we have a much better chance of winning than in the Carmody years. And I think that chance will increase more.

Wherever you fall on this debate about Collins, all should agree that he is running out of time. With a new AD coming on board, I think Collins in a best case scenario has one more season to show meaningful progress (i.e. close to .500 W/L record in the Big Ten). If the team does not make a meaningful jump next year, I'd have to believe Collins' job is at risk.

At least we can’t blame injuries this year. Everyone has injuries, but the Cats have been both COVID and physical injury free.

If only Gaines hadn’t missed last season...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT